Paedophilia is not progressive

Julian

Nov 29, 2021, 11:30:16 AM11/29/21
Social justice campaigns have given up on morality

Now that safe spaces and universal acceptance have become the norm, it
is fashionable to tolerate all kinds of proclivities and inclinations in
the name of diversity. But until recently, we respected the nebulous
line that faintly dissects the parameters of what we consider to be good
and evil. Not so today, where there is a growing campaign to
destigmatise everything, even if doing so requires us to unpick the
moral fabric of our society.

How else are we to explain the two most disturbing causes trumpeted by
modern progressives: of paedophilia and of polygamy? To some extent,
they can’t be compared. Polygamy remains legal in a number of countries
— from South Africa and Malaysia to Iran and Morocco. Paedophilia, on
the other hand, has long been considered beyond the pale, and is
effectively banned across the world. Most countries have an age of
consent — and those that don’t, such as Sudan and Afghanistan, require a
couple to be married before sex is legally allowed.

And yet, in America of all places, activists are now campaigning for the
destigmatisation of paedophilic desires. To remain horrified is bigoted;
we need to feel empathy for the “suffering” that paedophiles face. What
makes this movement even more disturbing is that its advocates are not
confined to some progressive fringe: even those whose jobs it is to end
child sexual abuse now support it....

https://unherd.com/2021/11/paedophilia-is-not-progressive/

Noah Sombrero

Nov 29, 2021, 11:57:11 AM11/29/21
On Mon, 29 Nov 2021 16:30:15 +0000, Julian <julia...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Social justice campaigns have given up on morality
>

>Now that safe spaces and universal acceptance have become the norm, it
>is fashionable to tolerate all kinds of proclivities and inclinations in
>the name of diversity. But until recently, we respected the nebulous
>line that faintly dissects the parameters of what we consider to be good
>and evil. Not so today, where there is a growing campaign to
>destigmatise everything, even if doing so requires us to unpick the
>moral fabric of our society.

Well, not actually everything. Balanced view is over this way.

--
Noah Sombrero

Wilson

Nov 29, 2021, 12:01:57 PM11/29/21

Noah Sombrero

Nov 29, 2021, 12:11:02 PM11/29/21
On Mon, 29 Nov 2021 16:30:15 +0000, Julian <julia...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Actually, what I heard is that was in places like copenhagen, a few
decades ago. Not that I think things have changed there, but that was
when I heard it.
--
Noah Sombrero

Sanford Manley

Nov 29, 2021, 12:34:24 PM11/29/21
There is a great deal of truth in that graphic.

--
Sanford M. Manley

"Trying to be right all the time
is a very subtle way of being wrong."

Julian

Nov 29, 2021, 1:36:32 PM11/29/21
Good to know... I suppose.

Love

Nov 30, 2021, 4:11:19 AM11/30/21
In article <so2v6m$559$1...@dont-email.me>, julia...@gmail.com says...
I couldn't finish the article because I found it
hysterical and manipulative, a lot like those
who predict the end of the world due to everything
from plastic debris to Trump getting elected.

Paedophilia is one of the safest things to condemn,
our collective revulsion is so strong. Wrapping
oneself in a cloak of opposition and selective
judgementalism is so easy to do it's cheap. But
let's remember what happens when we indulge that
mob hate mentality. Just the rumour that an
outsider is preying on children gets people lynched
in India, or stoned to death, just because they are
travelling through. Not only that, but such is the
power and the feelgood of wielding it, the mob hate
mentality, especially morals-crimes versions of it,
puritanism becomes an increasingly vicious spiral.

This must always be opposed and countered. Remember
when a "paedophile" was someone who was sexually
attracted to children --clinically defined as
attraction to pre-pubescent children? Now the mob
refers to sexual attraction to young biological
adults as paedophilic. If truth be told, all males
are paedophiles by that standard, and a good number
of women too. We infantalise teenagers so that we
can put them under our umbrella of protection for
"children". None of that means that there shouldn't
be laws governing age and sexual activity, and even
age-differential laws. It just means that our love
of feeling extra justified in our outrage is
stronger than our love of reason. Suggesting that
paedophiles be treated as people isn't somehow
suggesting that baby rapers shouldn't be punished,
or that those who are attracted even to very young
biological adults don't need to take controlling
themselves seriously. It is suggesting that we
don't be so in love with our outrage that we miss
opportunities to _actually_ control the outcomes of
what are in fact traits that have entered the human
genome by evolution, not by "evil" "unnatural"
forces...the fan of superstition that the author is
beating heavily to fulfill what seems to be a
quota in "condemnation of progressivism" articles.

Not aproved. F

As for the time spared to also characterise
polygamy as the work of the devil, what the author
misses is that it's already being practiced by a
lot of people but just outside of the framework of
legal approval: legal marriage. One can have two
lovers and produce children with both of them and
share households and all the rest quite legally in
most western countries. What the author appears
most interested in is moral condemnations of
anything that looks handy to cherry-pick an
inflammatory article into existence with.

Revised grade: F-

--
Love
I'm too lazy to figure out my pronouns

DMB

Nov 30, 2021, 1:09:58 PM11/30/21
I try to keep it simple: "No harm, no foul."
One of my happiest years was when I was in a relationship with two others at the same time.