Rejoined ABSFG on Facebook

Sanford Manley

Nov 30, 2021, 2:46:13 PM11/30/21
I was surprised. No politics. A lot of humor
from the Onion posted by Fu.

I posted a few non-political things right away.

--
Sanford M. Manley

"Trying to be right all the time
is a very subtle way of being wrong."

Noah Sombrero

Nov 30, 2021, 3:24:11 PM11/30/21
On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 14:46:12 -0500, Sanford Manley <ans...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I was surprised. No politics. A lot of humor
>from the Onion posted by Fu.
>
>I posted a few non-political things right away.

You don't see Luke Carlos? He has morphed into a very political new
incarnation these days.
--
Noah Sombrero

Noah Sombrero

Dec 1, 2021, 9:47:42 AM12/1/21
wrote:

>I was surprised. No politics. A lot of humor
>from the Onion posted by Fu.
>
>I posted a few non-political things right away.

I see that, as of this morning, Luke Carlos is still active in the fb
short fat guy group. Luke, the full fire breathing left equivalent of
wilson's right. Every bit as much as wilson wants to tear (some)
things down, so does luke.

The difference is that luke doesn't have a even a tiny chance of
achieving his goals.

In spite of my criticisms of tang, I now see that he was an essential
part of this group. That being his insistence on how it is all "words
on a screen". Banging pots and marching in a circle:

bangbangbang
It
bang
is
bang
only
bang
words
bang
on
bang
bang
screen.
bangbangbang

Really folks.

If you can't read opposing views, no matter how inept, without
becoming angry, refusing to read more, exploding in technicolor, you
have forgotten to laugh your teeth out.

May tang haunt your dreams.
--
Noah Sombrero

Julian

Dec 1, 2021, 3:03:15 PM12/1/21
On 30/11/2021 19:46, Sanford Manley wrote:
> I was surprised. No politics. A lot of humor
> from the Onion posted by Fu.
>
> I posted a few non-political things right away.

I'm not going there again.
I might even have been an admin at the beginning
but I soon realised my FB account, which I've had
a very long time and I value for friends an family
purposes, would be in extreme jeopardy if I relaxed
there. I can't remember if it is 3 or 7 years ago
but it's been a long while since I unsubscribed.

I've found a group that after a rocky start I can
just about relax in because there isn't 25 years
of baggage there but it's still a tightrope.

I consume Tang's philosophical writing avidly
but hardly ever make a noise.

DMB

Dec 1, 2021, 4:06:41 PM12/1/21
I was shocked to see Fred Kepler there. I knew him from other FB discussion groups. I had no idea he was an absfg'er.
I think I knew Marcus from the 'Occupy Mordor' FB group.

Julian

Dec 1, 2021, 4:54:03 PM12/1/21
Back in the 90/00's there were also cohorts that played
in various combinations across ABSFG, TRB, AZX, APZ
ARBT and ARBN.

There are traces of Fred mainly in TRB from 1997 onward
and very occasionally in ABSFG which might have been
crossposts.

Sanford Manley

Dec 1, 2021, 5:27:22 PM12/1/21
After making a few posts, someone kicked me out.
Luke had attacked me as racist because of the
Ho Boi cartoon where he transforms into a
fearsome dharma protector saying that I had
somehow shown my white blindness because he
was red (as Mahakala is always depicted).
He said I was inherently racist and that only
he as a person of color could interpret my
meanings and intentions. I even posted an original
painting, but he was having none of it. He
is way gone off the deep end and embraced the
woke far-left version of the world in which
someone as inconsequential as myself is an
oppressor.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fNNAZPB0Sss6Td-1zsW2nASMYSu928rI/view?usp=sharing

He would accept no explanation of Ho Tai (or Ho Boi)
being the friendly side and Mahakala being the fearsome
dharma protector and comparing the two aspects.

I do not know who kicked me, but someone may have done
me a favor. I shiver to think of the anger and hate
that will erupt after possible losses in 2022 and 2024.
In the meantime, the talk of Roe being overturned has
led a Senator Jeanne Shaheen to say:

"I hope the Supreme Court is listening to the
people of the United States because – to go back
to Adam Sexton’s question – I think if you want
to see a revolution go ahead, outlaw Roe v. Wade
and see what the response is of the public,
particularly young people."

Noah Sombrero

Dec 1, 2021, 5:37:08 PM12/1/21
On Wed, 1 Dec 2021 17:27:19 -0500, Sanford Manley <ans...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Yes.

>and embraced the
>woke far-left version of the world in which
>someone as inconsequential as myself is an
>oppressor.
>
>https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fNNAZPB0Sss6Td-1zsW2nASMYSu928rI/view?usp=sharing
>
>He would accept no explanation of Ho Tai (or Ho Boi)
>being the friendly side and Mahakala being the fearsome
>dharma protector and comparing the two aspects.
>
>I do not know who kicked me, but someone may have done
>me a favor. I shiver to think of the anger and hate
>that will erupt after possible losses in 2022 and 2024.
>In the meantime, the talk of Roe being overturned has
>led a Senator Jeanne Shaheen to say:
>
>"I hope the Supreme Court is listening to the
>people of the United States because – to go back
>to Adam Sexton’s question – I think if you want
>to see a revolution go ahead, outlaw Roe v. Wade
>and see what the response is of the public,
>particularly young people."

I'm not sure that's the trigger. But something, it seems likely,
especially if 24 goes as I fear.
--
Noah Sombrero

Sanford Manley

Dec 1, 2021, 7:03:49 PM12/1/21
I must admit, as much as I get agitated sometimes,
you are nothing like Luke.

Noah Sombrero

Dec 1, 2021, 7:11:35 PM12/1/21
On Wed, 1 Dec 2021 19:03:47 -0500, Sanford Manley <ans...@gmail.com>
Thanks. I do have kindly memories of luke. At one time, I thought he
was one of the level headed types around usenet zen. It is sad to see
when people get out of balance like that.
--
Noah Sombrero

Sanford Manley

Dec 1, 2021, 7:37:25 PM12/1/21
I met with him in person several times. At some point he
got this left-wing messiah complex and the last I "saw"
him he was chaining people to junk cars outside a
south Florida immigration facility. It was the "Occupy"
movement and all of its collected ideas slopped together
that did it. Marxism, class warfare, the homeless,
revolution...

Wilson

Dec 2, 2021, 9:01:19 AM12/2/21
On 12/1/2021 9:47 AM, Noah Sombrero wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 14:46:12 -0500, Sanford Manley <ans...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I was surprised. No politics. A lot of humor
>>from the Onion posted by Fu.
>>
>> I posted a few non-political things right away.
>
> I see that, as of this morning, Luke Carlos is still active in the fb
> short fat guy group. Luke, the full fire breathing left equivalent of
> wilson's right. Every bit as much as wilson wants to tear (some)
> things down, so does luke.

I don't actually want to tear anything down and would much prefer it if
those terrible things were simply abandoned.
It's odd that anyone would ever need to be reminded of the emptiness of
words and opinions on a newsgroup that threatens to be somewhat
influenced by eastern thought.

Noah Sombrero

Dec 2, 2021, 9:07:32 AM12/2/21
On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 09:01:18 -0500, Wilson <Wil...@nowhere.net> wrote:

>On 12/1/2021 9:47 AM, Noah Sombrero wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 14:46:12 -0500, Sanford Manley <ans...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I was surprised. No politics. A lot of humor
>>>from the Onion posted by Fu.
>>>
>>> I posted a few non-political things right away.
>>
>> I see that, as of this morning, Luke Carlos is still active in the fb
>> short fat guy group. Luke, the full fire breathing left equivalent of
>> wilson's right. Every bit as much as wilson wants to tear (some)
>> things down, so does luke.
>

>I don't actually want to tear anything down and would much prefer it if
>those terrible things

In your opinion.

>were simply abandoned.

But that is not going to happen is it? Instead what we are more
likely to see is more like a civil war. When he who cannot be named
gets in again in 24. When things like right to an abortion are
overturned.
It is odd. You seem more able to manage being opposed than some
others. Kudos.
--
Noah Sombrero

Wilson

Dec 2, 2021, 9:08:19 AM12/2/21
When I met Luke in DC some years back he commented that he was whiter
than I am.

Sanford Manley

Dec 2, 2021, 9:11:22 AM12/2/21
On 12/2/2021 9:07 AM, Noah Sombrero wrote:
> But that is not going to happen is it? Instead what we are more
> likely to see is more like a civil war. When he who cannot be named
> gets in again in 24. When things like right to an abortion are
> overturned.

You might be right. What would this civil war look like?
Where do the troops come from? Who is leading them?
It takes two to tango.

Sanford Manley

Dec 2, 2021, 9:13:03 AM12/2/21
I think his support of Hugo Chavez and his philosophy may have been
a turning point for him.

Julian

Dec 2, 2021, 10:11:41 AM12/2/21
It's Zen that derails reason.
When your head gets split into seven pieces
it's almost inevitably going to get messy.

Wilson

Dec 2, 2021, 10:14:49 AM12/2/21
On 12/2/2021 9:11 AM, Sanford Manley wrote:
> On 12/2/2021 9:07 AM, Noah Sombrero wrote:
>> But that is not going to happen is it?  Instead what we are more
>> likely to see is more like a civil war.  When he who cannot be named
>> gets in again in 24.  When things like right to an abortion are
>> overturned.
>
> You might be right. What would this civil war look like?
> Where do the troops come from? Who is leading them?
> It takes two to tango.

Who first started posting here about the possibility of a civil war in
the US, and was then derided for even stating the possibility?

I still hope it doesn't happen, for obvious reasons.

But if it does it will look less like the last one we had and more like
the one the Spanish had. It will be urban versus the countryside. So
called Blue states are almost entirely Red outside of the major urban
areas.

I am wondering who will feed them? I suppose the Blue will be able to
trade, having control of the ports, and will be able to take and hold
fairly large areas of the surrounding countryside. And they would be
able to run the farms with conscripted labor from the urban poor. Who
are of course mostly Black. It would be something, to see how they
justify that. But of course the communists did the same many times in
the past. Ethical standards are always flexible in a crisis.

I'd encourage you to read the fictional series of Kelly Turnbull books
by Kurt Schlicter. It's definitely not high literature but they aren't
bad and his insights into the thinking of the two sides is (IMO) fairly
accurate.

Noah Sombrero

Dec 2, 2021, 10:38:56 AM12/2/21
On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 09:11:20 -0500, Sanford Manley <ans...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 12/2/2021 9:07 AM, Noah Sombrero wrote:
>> But that is not going to happen is it? Instead what we are more
>> likely to see is more like a civil war. When he who cannot be named
>> gets in again in 24. When things like right to an abortion are
>> overturned.
>
>You might be right. What would this civil war look like?
>Where do the troops come from? Who is leading them?
>It takes two to tango.

It is true, not exactly like with generals leading armies on both
sides. More like fighting in the streets, political assassinations,
etc. And it is true, that whichever party is in power would likely
try to quell things by sending in the military. Nasty business.
Arresting opposition leaders, people disappearing in the night. Like
the third world. We really don't want to go there. But shall we?
--
Noah Sombrero

Sanford Manley

Dec 2, 2021, 10:45:32 AM12/2/21
A Spanish style civil war would be the end of the US as a world power.
Remember, the red states have large populations of well armed civilians
who know how to use them and might even be eager to do it. The
American mythos is saturated with it and an army of militias would
outnumber the official troops in short order with many US military
and vets participating. It would make January 6th look like the
Beer Hall Putsch. In addition, many red states have well equipped
national guards. Thinking it cannot happen makes it more likely.

Noah Sombrero

Dec 2, 2021, 11:21:37 AM12/2/21
On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 10:45:29 -0500, Sanford Manley <ans...@gmail.com>
wrote:
The end of many things yes, regardless of how you envision it. What
happens when the us goes into recession? So does the rest of the
world.

>Remember, the red states have large populations of well armed civilians
>who know how to use them and might even be eager to do it. The
>American mythos is saturated with it and an army of militias would
>outnumber the official troops in short order with many US military
>and vets participating. It would make January 6th look like the
>Beer Hall Putsch. In addition, many red states have well equipped
>national guards. Thinking it cannot happen makes it more likely.

Bitter partisanship makes it more likely.
--
Noah Sombrero

Wilson

Dec 2, 2021, 2:00:42 PM12/2/21
True. And not listening to the other side and disregarding them makes
it even *more* likely.

Noah Sombrero

Dec 2, 2021, 2:06:21 PM12/2/21
Always listen. And then respond with your understanding.
Bitterness is not required.
--
Noah Sombrero

Julian

Dec 2, 2021, 5:48:43 PM12/2/21
Almost 50 years ago I had the misfortune to take two statistics classes
at the same time. One was a required introduction to statistics and the
other was econometrics. Don’t ask why I took them both — I don’t
remember. But I do remember one day in the Intro to Statistics class
when another student asked about this distribution plot (below).

https://www.cringely.com/2021/08/20/einsteins-fridge-who-knew-the-history-of-thermodynamics-was-so-much-like-high-school/

Love

Dec 4, 2021, 3:11:30 AM12/4/21
In article <soajjd$uq$1...@dont-email.me>, Wil...@nowhere.net says...
"Short fat guy" just doesn't say it hard
enough for some people, I guess.

--
Love
I'm too lazy to figure out my pronouns