Flour in Switzerland - what is best for what?

Karen Ramel

May 26, 2004, 7:00:24 AM5/26/04
Coming from Canada there's a LOT of things I just simply have no idea about
when it comes to Swiss products and their Canadian equivalent.

For example in Canada you can use white all purpose flour in the bread
machine and have wonderful bread. The bread machine cookbook says however
that you cannot hop to use American all purpose flour for the same results
as Canadian all purpose flour.

I just love to cook and make bread, with the bread machine and without but
what to buy? So now here I am in Switzerland with these flour choices from a
local chain store "Landi":
weiss-/semmelmehl 5Kg $6.80

Halbweiss-mehl 5Kg $7.90

Ruch-Mehl 5Kg $6.80

Bauern-Mehl 5Kg $9.90

Zopf-Mehl 5Kg $8.90

5-Korn-mehl 5Kg $11.90

Ur-Dinkelvollkornmehl 5Kg $16.50

Kürbiskernenbrot 2.5Kg $6.90

**I bought the Zopf-Mehl for now, I hope I can use it in the machine etc.

Anyone have any idea as to what is best for what?

HELP!

Thank you for all and any suggestions,
Karen Ramel
Canadian Living in a Swiss Land
I've already accidently bought a small small bag of household flour which
I'm assuming wouldn't be the best to use in my bread machine.

--
Karen Ramel
karen...@yahoo.com

---

Henry!

May 26, 2004, 7:16:37 AM5/26/04
So...
I'm not that good in german, but here is how I understand the things :
> Halbweiss-mehl 5Kg $7.90
Half white flour
?
> Bauern-Mehl 5Kg $9.90
Country Fkour
?
> 5-Korn-mehl 5Kg $11.90
5 cereals flour
> Ur-Dinkelvollkornmehl 5Kg $16.50
Wholewheat flour
> Kürbiskernenbrot 2.5Kg $6.90
pumpkin seeds.

Now, you have to know thta du to varietal differencies between Wheat, flour
in the US and Canada have more protein (gluten) and accept more water. You
may have to adapt your recipes.
HTH
--
Henry!
"Your shoes have got to match what colour guitar you're playing. I had this

"Karen Ramel" <ronk...@bluewin.ch> a écrit dans le message de news:
40b478cc$1...@news.bluewin.ch...

> Coming from Canada there's a LOT of things I just simply have no idea
about
> when it comes to Swiss products and their Canadian equivalent.
>
> For example in Canada you can use white all purpose flour in the bread
> machine and have wonderful bread. The bread machine cookbook says however
> that you cannot hop to use American all purpose flour for the same results
> as Canadian all purpose flour.
>
> I just love to cook and make bread, with the bread machine and without but
> what to buy? So now here I am in Switzerland with these flour choices from
> local chain store "Landi":
> weiss-/semmelmehl 5Kg $6.80

Ulrike Westphal

May 26, 2004, 8:16:44 AM5/26/04
Henry,
Kürbiskernbrot means pumpkin seed bread, that must be a bread mix
Ur-Dinkelvollkornmehl means whole spelt flour
Ulrike
"Henry!" <no...@none.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Henry!

May 26, 2004, 8:34:43 AM5/26/04
Vielen Dank!.
My german is a little rusty.

--
Henry!
"Your shoes have got to match what colour guitar you're playing. I had this
black guitar and I was going, 'Gem, I can't seem to dress with this
guitar'."

"Ulrike Westphal" <ostwe...@yahoo.de> a écrit dans le message de news:
2hjg7eF...@uni-berlin.de...

Janet Bostwick

May 26, 2004, 8:40:27 AM5/26/04

"Karen Ramel" <ronk...@bluewin.ch> wrote in message
> [...]
I would have tried the weiss/semmelmehl first. I would translate that as
being appropriate for white breads and rolls. Semmels are a roll, crispy
outside with a light interior. I would think that would mean that the flour
had a higher protein content. The rest of the flour you list appears to be
blends or specialty flours.
Janet

Karen Ramel

May 26, 2004, 1:56:22 PM5/26/04
Thank you VERY VERY much for your help with the flour varieties. What you've
indicated will get me much farther than just trying each and every variety
with each and every recipe. (Knowledge makes it a little less expensive
too).

sehr gut danke schon

THANK YOU!

Karen Ramel
floured canadian playing with bread dough in switzerland

emill...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2020, 7:17:00 PM4/23/20
I am sure I am too late for an answer here, but for future readers, the best 'common' flour in Switzerland to make bread is Halbweiss.

asun_...@hotmail.com

Aug 3, 2020, 12:48:18 AM8/3/20
And which one contains more protein to absorb a higher amount of water? Landi? Coop? Migros??
Thank you!