More buttery flavor?

Tim

Feb 20, 2023, 5:06:03 PM2/20/23
If I were to make basic white bread a bit more buttery, do you think it would
be okay to exchange a portion of water for the same portion of butter? Say,
remove two tablespoons of water and replace with two TBS of butter.

--
Tim

Bertie Doe

Feb 22, 2023, 12:13:30 PM2/22/23
Yes you can substitute some of the water for an equal weight in butter. The baking may remove most of the buttery taste, so I would increase the butter to 4 tablespoons and reduce water by the same. If you're weighing it, that would be 28g of each.

Bertie Doe

Feb 22, 2023, 12:27:04 PM2/22/23
Correction Tim, that should read 56g of each.

Dusty

Mar 19, 2023, 7:00:35 PM3/19/23
That sounds like a great place to start your testing, Jim.

Take care and be well,
Dusty
--
"Holding a grudge doesn't make you strong; it makes you bitter.
Forgiving doesn't make you weak; it sets you free."~~Dave Willis "The

Bertie Doe

Mar 20, 2023, 5:53:29 AM3/20/23
On Sunday, March 19, 2023 at 11:00:35 PM UTC, Dusty wrote:
> On 20-Feb-23 14:06, Tim wrote:
> > If I were to make basic white bread a bit more buttery, do you think it would
> > be okay to exchange a portion of water for the same portion of butter? Say,
> > remove two tablespoons of water and replace with two TBS of butter.
> >
> That sounds like a great place to start your testing, Jim.
>
> Take care and be well,
> Dusty
> --
Agreed, by slightly enriching the bread with butter def improves the taste. An alternative is to swap the water with milk. I might try both milk and butter, if I'm mixing strong and AP flours together 50/50. The AP gives it a thin eggshell-like crust.

cshenk

Apr 26, 2023, 2:56:37 PM4/26/23
Hi Tim, still life in the group? I was hoping so!

Yes, but keep it to no more than 2TB for that method.

I use a bread machine but knowing what you do, would let me help more.