Now there's a run on flour and yeast

graham

Mar 25, 2020, 10:51:46 AM3/25/20

Nyssa

Mar 26, 2020, 9:31:22 AM3/26/20
I lucked out and had done one of my infrequent stock-up trips
in the Big City on March 11th, the day before everything started
going into panic mode.

I bought four bags of AP flour for myself and a bag of a niche
brand of self-rising for my neighbor. Plus I had gotten a couple
of bags each of dark, light, and powdered sugar.

I already had two one-pound bags of instant yeast in my
freezer.

Whew! Talk about in the nick of time!

Nyssa, who has already baked bread, cinnamon rolls, and buttermilk
biscuits since the lockdowns have started

TimW

Mar 26, 2020, 4:51:37 PM3/26/20
Lots of empty shelves in the UK supermarkets. Toilet paper and strangely
cat litter as well. A lot of people stocking up with wine, too!

I have a little flour in the cupboard but have been unable to buy yeast.
I am keeping back a little dough then building it up like a sourdough
ferment until I have enough for another batch.

Plain flour, as well, worth knowing that you can bake good bread with
low protein flour, it doesn't need to be strong bread flower and the
result is interesting. I am told that round here the soil won't produce
high protein wheat, so I guess in the old days bread round here was made
with low protein flour.

TW

graham

Mar 26, 2020, 5:09:19 PM3/26/20
The much maligned "Chorley Wood" process was developed to use lower
protein flour.

TimW

Mar 27, 2020, 7:52:35 PM3/27/20
On 26/03/2020 21:09, graham wrote:
> On 2020-03-26 2:51 p.m., TimW wrote:

[...]
>> Plain flour, as well, worth knowing that you can bake good bread with
>> low protein flour, it doesn't need to be strong bread flower and the
>> result is interesting. I am told that round here the soil won't
>> produce high protein wheat, so I guess in the old days bread round
>> here was made with low protein flour.
>>
>> TW
>
> The much maligned "Chorley Wood" process was developed to use lower
> protein flour.

I didn't know that. I don't use any special process, the bread is just a
little crumblier. Good though.

TW

graham

Mar 27, 2020, 8:32:10 PM3/27/20
If you use a Kenwood, crank it up for the kneading.