Recipe mistakes

Peter Flynn

Jan 6, 2020, 6:28:43 PM1/6/20
I'm working on some editor controls to see if it's possible to detect
some simple errors before publishing recipes, specifically

1. ingredient listed but never used in the Method
2. ingredient mentioned in Method but never listed
3. ingredients not in order they get used (or in some grouped order)

A possible by-product of this would be an accurate disaggregation of
each ingredient into quantity, unit, type, and a number of other values
to reflect handling, to make searching and indexing more accurate.

As part of the testing phase, I am looking for details of recipes
containing errors, specifically of these types above, but all rubbish
welcomed!

The research will be submitted to either the MarkupUK or Balisage
conferences, depending on funding and availability.

Peter

Dusty

Jan 11, 2020, 11:25:15 AM1/11/20
Hello Peter;
Most interesting. As one that has fallen into the internal gears of
some recipes often found in groups like this one, I'd love to see you
succeed in this endeavor. I have, over the years, fixed up my own
recipes in the manner you've proposed, so I have none on hand to send
you. I will, however, keep my eyes searching through others in order to
send you some examples if I find them.

Take care and be well,
Dusty

--
"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world
with fools." -- Herbert Spencer

Nyssa

Jan 12, 2020, 9:59:29 AM1/12/20
Peter, I don't know if this is the type of thing that your
error-finder will be able to catch, but I found an unwelcome
error in a recipe in "A Jewish Baker's Pastry Secrets" by
George Greenstein when following the directions for apple
turnovers.

The recipe included instructions for making the apple filling,
but unfortunately it turned out to make twice as much as
needed for the amount of turnover pastry.

I ended up scrambling over the next couple of days to find
other recipes that could use the mass of leftover, prepared
apple filling.

If there is that type of error in one recipe in the book, there
may be others lurking to be found.

Nyssa, who not only was tired of apple filling after finally
finding uses for it all, she gained a few pounds when using
it all up