Grupos de Google ya no admite publicaciones ni suscripciones nuevas de Usenet. El contenido anterior sigue visible.

Lifespan of a Breadmaker?

1,335 vistas
Ir al primer mensaje no leído

Graeme... in London

no leída,
26 mar 2004, 12:10:56 p.m.26/3/2004
para
Hi all,

First time poster to this group, but I've been lurkin' for a while.

Simple question. I have had a Kenwood breadmaker for 18 months and make
approx 5 loaves per week. The breadpan is starting to loose its non-stick
coating and needs to be replaced. No problem there, but the internal
workings of the machine look a little dirty and badly stained.

How long do these machines last for and what sort of abuse can the internal
heating element take with spillage etc?

Graeme

Dan Cottler

no leída,
26 mar 2004, 3:21:36 p.m.26/3/2004
para
In article <1068p17...@news20.forteinc.com>,

"Graeme... in London" <graeme...@NOSPAMonetel.net.uk> wrote:

> make approx 5 loaves per week. The breadpan is starting to loose its
> non-stick coating and needs to be replaced. No problem there, but the
> internal workings of the machine look a little dirty and badly
> stained.
>
> How long do these machines last for and what sort of abuse can the
> internal heating element take with spillage etc?

We make 4 to 8 loaves per week. Our experience has been that 1.5 to 2
years is about when our machines started dying. Pans wear out - coating
flakes, scratches, paddle stem siezes. Machines die - heating elements
fail, stems sieze, etc. Our current machine, a 2.5 yro $200 Zoji, is
already on its 2nd pan, which it's leaking oil into the bread now.

You can clean the inside of the bread maker, if you're very careful.
Unplug it first! Use a damp soft sponge and very little soap - enough
to clean but not so much as to drip into the machine's guts...

FWIW,
- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus
- South Jersey, USA, Earth

Dick Margulis

no leída,
26 mar 2004, 3:59:58 p.m.26/3/2004
para
I saw the subject line and started to worry. But I figure I'm good till
at least 85 or 90.

Socks

no leída,
26 mar 2004, 5:28:53 p.m.26/3/2004
para
On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 17:10:56 +0000, Graeme... in London wrote:

> Simple question. I have had a Kenwood breadmaker for 18 months and make
> approx 5 loaves per week. The breadpan is starting to loose its
> non-stick coating and needs to be replaced. No problem there, but the
> internal workings of the machine look a little dirty and badly stained.

i wore out one of the original DAK catalog breadmakers, after about a
thousand loaves. i had used it at home for about 5 years semi-often, but
then took it to work and started a loaf early every morning for a while
longer. that one had the peg-in-the-side design, and that was where the
pan failed, not in the motor or electricals. i'm on my second (hitachi)
but i hadn't been baking as much and probably only have about 100 loaves
or dough batches through that one.

i think it's kinda sad that the market for basic breadmakers is drying up,
as they become more of a specialty and high-end market. based on my
experience though, they should last a long time.

fwiw, my mom picked up a like-new DAK style (looks like R2D2) breadmaker
for $5 at a garage sale recently. what a steal.

> How long do these machines last for and what sort of abuse can the
> internal heating element take with spillage etc?

well, i'd try to avoid that kind of thing.

David Feuer

no leída,
27 mar 2004, 4:19:33 a.m.27/3/2004
para

Ewwww.

> FWIW,
> - Dan.

> - Psychoceramic Emeritus
> - South Jersey, USA, Earth

Did you teach at Brown University? Or is there another university out
there with a psychoceramics department?

Tim

no leída,
27 mar 2004, 6:01:09 a.m.27/3/2004
para
I agree with Dick, and the non stick coating will hold up for at least that
long.

Tim

"Dick Margulis" <marg...@fiam.net> wrote in message

Rina

no leída,
27 mar 2004, 9:24:07 a.m.27/3/2004
para
We retired our first bread machine (Hitachi) at about 7 years, not because
it wasn't working, I wanted to try one with a horizontal pan. The
replacement ("ZO") is in it's third year and is doing well except the tips
of the paddles are peeling a bit.

The experience of people on another group that I read is that a bread
machine should last at least 3-4 years, the more expensive heavy duty
machines last a lot longer than that. When the pan goes, replace the
machine... they charge to much for replacement pans! (sometimes more than
1/2 the price of a new machine)

Rina

"Graeme... in London" <graeme...@NOSPAMonetel.net.uk> wrote in message

Socks

no leída,
27 mar 2004, 9:50:37 a.m.27/3/2004
para
On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 14:24:07 +0000, Rina wrote:

> The experience of people on another group that I read is that a bread
> machine should last at least 3-4 years, the more expensive heavy duty
> machines last a lot longer than that. When the pan goes, replace the
> machine... they charge to much for replacement pans! (sometimes more
> than 1/2 the price of a new machine)

fwiw, i think that 7-year DAK i had was about $59 originally. of course,
they might have overbuilt them at the start ... but i'd _hope_ that the
machines are simple enough that low-end models would still last.

i see that there are 2lb oster breadmakers for $50-75 right now. if i
needed one, i might try that first and go more expensive if and when it
broke. i had an oster blender that just wouldn't die, a 40-50 year
hand-me-down, which gives me some brand loyalty.

Wcsjohn

no leída,
27 mar 2004, 10:05:29 a.m.27/3/2004
para
I dunno, 2 yesrs is a long time for Teflon.

John

graham

no leída,
27 mar 2004, 10:19:14 a.m.27/3/2004
para

"Socks" <So...@Socks.Invalid> wrote in message

> On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 14:24:07 +0000, Rina wrote:
>
> i had an oster blender that just wouldn't die, a 40-50 year
> hand-me-down, which gives me some brand loyalty.

But that was made in the days before MBAs put their greedy little stamp on
things.
Graham

Wcsjohn

no leída,
27 mar 2004, 10:31:59 a.m.27/3/2004
para
Of course. Machines that run reliably for 20 years or more don't generate a
"revenue stream".

The dictum "Bad money drives out good money" applies equally well to any
household item.

John

Socks

no leída,
27 mar 2004, 10:46:58 a.m.27/3/2004
para

yeah, i wouldn't expect that much nowadays ... but i'd hope that a little
bit of the culture would remain, maybe enough to make a $50 breadmaker
last 7 years or so.

if not, 3-4 years would be tolerable (about $15/yr) ... of course they
probably read stuff like that and use it to determine their target ;-)

Dick Margulis

no leída,
27 mar 2004, 10:57:06 a.m.27/3/2004
para
graham wrote:

Took the words right out of my mouth ;-)

Harry Demidavicius

no leída,
27 mar 2004, 2:39:38 p.m.27/3/2004
para

Graeme

Is there no end to your talents? barbecuer, chef, genial host - and
now baker? ;0)

Having read the consensus of opinion on the life-time of a
bread-machine, are you giving any serious thought to changing
equipment. I've had my KA for over 10 years, use it at least three
times per week and it is still like new.

Harry

Graeme... in London

no leída,
27 mar 2004, 3:18:06 p.m.27/3/2004
para

"Harry Demidavicius" <Har...@NOT1SPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message

Harry,

Thinkin' about upgrading or changing equipment. There are terrible burnt
smells coming from the heating element, over and above the flaking of the
non-stick coating.

Its mostly been sun-dried tomatoes or diced olives that have found there way
to the elements. I also use mustard seeds a lot, but they are easily
recovered. I really don't know if the machine is going to go BOOM, or if it
will live to fight another day with a new pan?

Decisions...decisions. Breadmaker or ribs?

Graeme (a big fan of wheatgerm)

occupant

no leída,
27 mar 2004, 7:29:57 p.m.27/3/2004
para
> > >heating element take with spillage etc?

I only fill the pan while the pan is outside the bread maker else I
would spill inside and on the element.

While we in the bread NG may own a bread machine - I don't think I know
another person that makes pizza from scratch let alone bread. That
always surprises me because they are all bright and more organized than
I am. But on fussy about about food, I most certainly take the trophy.

Harry Demidavicius

no leída,
27 mar 2004, 10:26:23 p.m.27/3/2004
para
On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 20:18:06 -0000, "Graeme... in London"
<graeme...@NOSPAMonetel.net.uk> wrote:

I'm thinking of a Kenwood/KA type mixer machine with a dough hook 'n
stuff vs another automatic bread maker. A much more durable and
versatile piece of gear IMO. The only perceptible advantage the
automatic bread machine might have is the ability to dial up your
bread at night and wake up to fresh made bread in the AM. I produced
too many good smelling cannon balls when I had mine and it got very
lame fast. I gave it to my kid and she loved it to death. [that took
about 4 years for her].

Harry

Harry Demidavicius

no leída,
27 mar 2004, 10:31:09 p.m.27/3/2004
para

Shh - keep it down. Next thing you know they will want to do it and
the commercial baking economy will go to pot . . .
Harry

barry

no leída,
28 mar 2004, 2:47:33 p.m.28/3/2004
para

"graham" <stra...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

Graham, Graham, Graham,

I thought we had resolved this before.

No self-respecting MBA from a top school would have anything to do with
Kitchen Aid or any other kitchen appliance maker as long as there were much
more profitable places to ply their trade.

Like Enron.
Like Adelphia.
Like Tyco.
Like Arthur Anderson.

Barry

Wcsjohn

no leída,
28 mar 2004, 3:26:43 p.m.28/3/2004
para

>Graham, Graham, Graham,
>
>I thought we had resolved this before.
>
>No self-respecting MBA from a top school would have anything to do with
>Kitchen Aid or any other kitchen appliance maker as long as there were much
>more profitable places to ply their trade.
>
>Like Enron.
>Like Adelphia.
>Like Tyco.
>Like Arthur Anderson.
>
>Barry

A "self-respecting" MBA? Bit of an Oxymoron, like "Military Intelligence"<g>

How can you respect yourself when your sole purpose in life is to dehumanise
the corporate environment, turning people into "production units" to be
discarded when the boss wants to trouser even more obscene wads of cash than
usual?

I know, I'm well off -topic, but the Corporate environment and its "values"
("Corporate Values", another oxymoron) make me very angry and quite nauseous.

John

barry

no leída,
28 mar 2004, 4:25:44 p.m.28/3/2004
para

"Wcsjohn" <wcs...@aol.comspamnone> wrote in message

John,

I guess the irony in my post didn't quite make it through to Yorkshire. :-)

Barry

Wcsjohn

no leída,
28 mar 2004, 5:22:03 p.m.28/3/2004
para

>John,
>
>I guess the irony in my post didn't quite make it through to Yorkshire. :-)
>
>Barry

Oh, the irony was noticed and appreciated, I just, occasionally, think too much
about the state of the World and it leaves me a litttle wobbly for a day or 2.

Prone to outbursts of righteous indignation.

But it won't last and I'll be my normal, sunny, devil-may-care ray of sunshine,
bringing light to the dark recesses of minds bemused by Bread, the Great
Enchanter.

Love

John

barry

no leída,
28 mar 2004, 6:06:30 p.m.28/3/2004
para

John,

Time for a pint at Tan Hill. The snow must be just about melted.

Barry

graham

no leída,
28 mar 2004, 7:22:53 p.m.28/3/2004
para

"barry" <john...@optonline.net> wrote in message

It's always time for a pint - as long as it's not Tetley's;-)
Graham

barry

no leída,
28 mar 2004, 9:44:03 p.m.28/3/2004
para
> > Time for a pint at Tan Hill. The snow must be just about melted.
> >
> > Barry
>
> It's always time for a pint - as long as it's not Tetley's;-)
> Graham

You must be British and therefore used to having good beers on tap. I drank
a good bit of Tetley's several years ago, and compared with US beers, it's
ambrosia! Mind you, it doesn't compare with Guinness in Dublin, but then,
few things do. :-)))

Barry

jouj...@gmail.com

no leída,
4 may 2019, 7:15:59 a.m.4/5/2019
para
I've had my zogirushi for over 10 years. I make several loaves per week. I think it finally died.

Peter Flynn

no leída,
21 jul 2019, 3:18:32 p.m.21/7/2019
para
My wonderful Panasonic is still working, but the LCD screen display has
started to drop pixels, so it takes foreknowledge of the timing to make
it work overnight. It's about 20 years old, so I'm in the market for a
replacement.

However...Panasonic have screwed things up majorly by rotating their lid
design by 90°: it now hinges on the short side instead of the long side,
so it needs more clearance above it to open — an mine lives on the
worktop under some wall-cupboards. Plus their more advanced replacement,
the SD-ZP2000 series, has NO raisin/nut dispenser, an astonishing
omission when the lower-level series SD2511 does have one.

I'm attracted by the Lakeland BreadMaker Plus 17892 because it still
opens along the long edge, and has the dispenser, although the clip-on
digital scales is no use to me personally. It has a smallish loaf bucket
compared with the Panasonics, although it does come with a useful stand
to replace the bucket providing cradles for up to four long rolls.

As yet undecided, open to suggestions.

0 mensajes nuevos