Yeast & Heartburn?

marco

Feb 21, 2012, 12:06:21 PM2/21/12
it seems like
almost every time I make homemade bread
I end up with some Heartburn.

and the only thing different I've ingested is Yeast

has anyone else experienced this?

marc

RsH

Feb 21, 2012, 9:53:46 PM2/21/12
If you don't get it when eating store bought bread, it is NOT the yeast. Everything that rises in the way of bread either uses yeast or
baking soda/baking powder. Quick breads use the latter, and regular breads use the former. So the difference is NOT the yeast, but it might
be the flour, particularly if it has turned slightly rancid.

RsH

Dick Margulis

Feb 22, 2012, 7:15:21 AM2/22/12
It might just be a reaction to the increased amount of gluten consumed
(as one tends to eat more bread more quickly when it's homemade than
when it's store-bought). It may also be a reaction to eating bread that
is cut while it is still hot from the oven rather than allowing it to
cool thoroughly, although that reaction is generally not heartburn but
more just a stomachache or gassiness.

marco

Feb 22, 2012, 9:20:54 AM2/22/12
I rarely eat store bought bread

I do eat the bread hot out of the oven,
and lots of it

marc

marco

Feb 24, 2012, 10:03:04 AM2/24/12
I thought I would mention,
some recipes call for less yeast,
but I always use 2 1/2 teaspoons of yeast,
just to make sure I have enough.

I wonder if that is too much,
and might be a factor with my heartburn.
It's still a mystery to me.

thanks, marc

graham

Feb 24, 2012, 12:23:58 PM2/24/12

"marco" <mark...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I rarely eat store bought bread
>
> I do eat the bread hot out of the oven,
> and lots of it

Well that's the answer! Let it cool and eat less of it!
Graham

marco

Feb 24, 2012, 4:04:24 PM2/24/12
why eat less?
I love it,
and I love it warm out of the oven
[we only live once]
I'll worry about the heartburn later
It's one of my few indulgences
[better than many other things, I think]
In the larger scheme of life
it's just a minor annoyance
[I just wanted to pin down the cause]

I forgot
I usually add some Sourdough Starter
could that contribute also?

thanks
marc

nemo

Mar 4, 2012, 3:37:08 PM3/4/12
On 2012-02-24 21:04:24 +0000, marco said:

> why eat less?
> I love it,

Well, then you have to love also the heartburn for free, I suppose ;-)

Kind regards, nemo

marco

Mar 5, 2012, 1:30:05 PM3/5/12
but I eat lots of other foods hot
out of the oven, and lots of it,
without any noticeable Heartburn

yeast
[and I forgot, sourdough sometimes]
are the only two things I can think of
out of the ordinary...

marc

nemo

Mar 6, 2012, 3:29:51 AM3/6/12
You see, not all kinds of food give heartburns, but bread can give it
you (especially when eating a lot).. Besides, eating also other stuff a
lot is probably not what your body needs or likes...

Kind regards!,
nemo

marco

Mar 15, 2012, 12:07:24 PM3/15/12
I made some Sourdough chocolate chip cookies
yesterday, and I experienced some Heartburn.

I used quite a bit of sourdough starter,
to give the cookies some zing.

so, I may have found the answer; sourdough,
which I use often in my bread, not the yeast

marc

tornin...@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2013, 2:39:47 AM11/16/13
I realize you sent this a long time ago but it only got my attention now as I was looking up solutions for this very same issue.

I also keep thinking its the yeast when I make break as I cant stomach the smell and seems I cant get rid of it and everything and everyone around me seems to smell like yeast so I tend to blame the yeast. But ever since I can remember I notice that the same happens when I east anything made with white flower, wether its store bought crackers etc but not every single time . I don't get it as with wholewheat i'm fine. I'm still trying to figure it out but if you have found the solution PLEASE fill me in. Take care

21bla...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2013, 1:46:56 PM11/21/13
I now think one of the posters was probably right -
it seems to be about how much I eat

Quite often, when I eat something I like,
I eat it till I'm really full, or basically too much

marc

mike...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2015, 1:04:23 PM1/22/15
I have the same issue but im not sure why. I dont eat it hot though.

jan...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2020, 6:30:15 AM6/12/20
Count me in... homemade bread sets my hartburn off every time

Malcolm Loades

Jun 12, 2020, 7:19:26 AM6/12/20
Nothing beats a timely followup :-)

Malcolm

Laura V

Jan 12, 2023, 6:40:00 PM1/12/23
Me and my daughter have the same issue with US flour. Try with a different country made flour.

peter naude

Apr 30, 2023, 10:04:41 AM4/30/23
On Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:06:21 PM UTC+2, marco wrote:
hi marc -- yes i have given up eating bread -- heartburn is getting worse after bread -- no idea why really -- but when i eat brewers yeast for health -- had to stop due to very bad heart burn -- must be the yeast ?? -- by elimination .. tks peter