British bread rolls - taxonomy

Graham

Aug 25, 2021, 12:25:46 PM8/25/21
A long but interesting article:
https://tinyurl.com/283adc2m

Boron Elgar

Aug 25, 2021, 3:28:38 PM8/25/21
On Wed, 25 Aug 2021 10:25:44 -0600, Graham <g.st...@shaw.ca> wrote:

>A long but interesting article:
>https://tinyurl.com/283adc2m

I enjoyed reading that, but have so little knowledge of UK rolls, that
I cannot say I grasped parts of it.

Graham

Aug 25, 2021, 3:47:11 PM8/25/21
In my village, the bakers called them "dough-buns".
ISTR that when I was a child, the price was a penny-farthing (1.25 old
pence) or 3 for threepence-halfpenny (pronounced thrippence-hape-nee)
i.e. 3.5 old pence. I think that bakers were the last to use farthings
that were taken out of circulation in the 1950s.

Peter Flynn

Aug 28, 2021, 9:20:11 AM8/28/21
On 25/08/2021 17:25, Graham wrote:
> A long but interesting article:
> https://tinyurl.com/283adc2m

I just looked at the banner image and I don't recognize most of them
even though I spent my early life in the UK. I suspect lots of them are
regional, but I'll settle down and read the article.

Graham, what is the name of that bread roll I used to come across a lot
in the midlands in the 60s and 70s, and again in London in the 70s and
80s, round, domed, basically all crust and hollow inside? looking nice
but a tasteless swindle of an empty roll.

We have a different set of breads in Ireland, many with local names, but
one that seems to be making headway elsewhere after getting its AOC, the
Waterford Blaa, which is like a bap but round not square, getting its
name from a corruption of the French "blanc" (white) in reference to the
finer flour used at a time when common flour was brown.

Thanks for posting this

Peter

Graham

Aug 28, 2021, 12:56:28 PM8/28/21
On 2021-08-28 7:20 a.m., Peter Flynn wrote:
> On 25/08/2021 17:25, Graham wrote:
>> A long but interesting article:
>> https://tinyurl.com/283adc2m
>
> I just looked at the banner image and I don't recognize most of them
> even though I spent my early life in the UK. I suspect lots of them are
> regional, but I'll settle down and read the article.
>
> Graham, what is the name of that bread roll I used to come across a lot
> in the midlands in the 60s and 70s, and again in London in the 70s and
> 80s, round, domed, basically all crust and hollow inside? looking nice
> but a tasteless swindle of an empty roll.

I don't know! I hated them too. The "dough buns" that the 2 bakeries in
my home village made were essentially small baps. The crusts were soft.
The bakers would never have got away with those hollow monstrosities!

> We have a different set of breads in Ireland, many with local names, but
> one that seems to be making headway elsewhere after getting its AOC, the
> Waterford Blaa, which is like a bap but round not square, getting its
> name from a corruption of the French "blanc" (white) in reference to the
> finer flour used at a time when common flour was brown.
>
> Thanks for posting this

I like to help keep the group alive!
I remember buying soda bread rolls when I was doing field work in Cork
Harbour and other places along the south coast including Hook Head.

Peter Flynn

Sep 23, 2021, 3:35:33 PM9/23/21
On 28/08/2021 17:56, Graham wrote:
> On 2021-08-28 7:20 a.m., Peter Flynn wrote:
>> [...] round, domed, basically all crust and hollow inside? looking
>> nice but a tasteless swindle of an empty roll.
>>
> I don't know! I hated them too. The "dough buns" that the 2 bakeries in
> my home village made were essentially small baps. The crusts were soft.
> The bakers would never have got away with those hollow monstrosities!

They were definitely at the bottom end of the baking industry spectrum.
I have no idea what people would buy them for.

The village in East Anglia I spent most time in was too small to have
anything except a village stores, and they just took a small number of
loaves from a travelling bread van that came in from Bungay or Beccles.
Most people baked their own at home there, I suspect.

> I remember buying soda bread rolls when I was doing field work in Cork
> Harbour and other places along the south coast including Hook Head.

Not common these days: the mass-market rolls are plain white and
factory-produced. But in some stores you can get hand-made bread, and
it's growing slowly. ABC (Alternative Bread Company) in Cork market
hived off their production to a commercial baker some years ago when it
got too big an operation to be done at home, and the quality suffered
and hasn't recovered. Still pretty good, but not what it was. Declan
Ryan (of Arbutus fame) still make and sells his bread, though, which is
amazing.

Peter

Gordon Henderson

Sep 23, 2021, 4:27:20 PM9/23/21
In article <cauVI.2$2B...@fx04.iad>, Graham <g.st...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>A long but interesting article:
>https://tinyurl.com/283adc2m

It's a nice article, but just goes to show that almost every baker in
every town, county and country has their own form of a roll - (bap,
etc.) a small lump of bread usually round, designed to hold butter,
bacon and/or egg or other cooked meat of some sorts, topped with pickles
or even "salad", etc.

Sometimes even some cooked beef called a "hamburger" ;-)

In Scotland, we've had the concept of the "morning roll" for many years
(centurys, possibly) which are often very well fired to the point of
being almsot black on-top. Saves toasting them..

Might be intersting to compare with the Devon or Cornish Pasty - basically
pastry designed to hold a savoury filling in dirty hands...

Not that economical for small bakery to make them now when the
supermarkets have it all but wrapped up, but I used to make
a few trays of them for a local charity's summer BBQ on occasion.

Cheers,

-Gordon

Graham

Sep 23, 2021, 9:01:26 PM9/23/21
On 2021-09-23 1:35 p.m., Peter Flynn wrote:
> On 28/08/2021 17:56, Graham wrote:
>> On 2021-08-28 7:20 a.m., Peter Flynn wrote:
>>> [...] round, domed, basically all crust and hollow inside? looking
>>> nice but a tasteless swindle of an empty roll.
>>>
>> I don't know! I hated them too. The "dough buns" that the 2 bakeries in
>> my home village made were essentially small baps. The crusts were soft.
>> The bakers would never have got away with those hollow monstrosities!
>
> They were definitely at the bottom end of the baking industry spectrum.
> I have no idea what people would buy them for.
>
> The village in East Anglia I spent most time in was too small to have
> anything except a village stores, and they just took a small number of
> loaves from a travelling bread van that came in from Bungay or Beccles.
> Most people baked their own at home there, I suspect.

Both bakeries in the village (Debenham) are long gone. There is now a
small supermarket that receives bread deliveries from somewhere. I
haven't visited for 2 years due to covid but I hope to visit the UK next
year. I will then be able to see what has developed in the village when
I go to see my parent's grave.

>> I remember buying soda bread rolls when I was doing field work in Cork
>> Harbour and other places along the south coast including Hook Head.
>
> Not common these days: the mass-market rolls are plain white and
> factory-produced. But in some stores you can get hand-made bread, and
> it's growing slowly. ABC (Alternative Bread Company) in Cork market
> hived off their production to a commercial baker some years ago when it
> got too big an operation to be done at home, and the quality suffered
> and hasn't recovered. Still pretty good, but not what it was. Declan
> Ryan (of Arbutus fame) still make and sells his bread, though, which is
> amazing.
>
> Peter

I have pleasant memories of Cork. I was busy collecting rock samples
along the east side of the harbour but got cut off by the tide. I
managed to clamber into the old Admiralty fort and make my way to the
gate. The caretaker and his wife were surprised and invited me in for tea.
Graham

Graham

Sep 23, 2021, 9:12:31 PM9/23/21
I occasionally make rolls using the tangzhong method. Friends and family
really like them and their soft crust resembles typical baps.
All sorts of heritage grains are now available in my supermarket in
small, expensive bags. I bought some Red Fife flour from a local farmer
but couldn't get a decent loaf out of it, so I went back to normal hard
wheat flours.
Supermarkets here (Calgary) sell a range of breads but I think most are
from a central factory that delivers frozen, ready formed loaves. They
don't have the texture of artisan loaves.
Graham

cshenk

Apr 29, 2023, 5:50:09 PM4/29/23
Hi Graham, old messages but just rejoined. Would the hollow bread be
related to bread bowls for soup back then?

Graham

Apr 29, 2023, 5:53:50 PM4/29/23
No. IME those soup "bowls" were just hollowed out round loaves.
Who knows what they did with all that crumb.

cshenk

May 3, 2023, 12:49:26 PM5/3/23
Maybe made bread pudding or bread crumbs? Could be salad crutons?

Gordon Henderson

May 4, 2023, 4:14:02 PM5/4/23
In article <m6Wcnf8L2_0UDc_5...@giganews.com>,
cshenk <csh...@virginia-beach.net> wrote:
>Graham wrote:

>> No. IME those soup "bowls" were just hollowed out round loaves.
>> Who knows what they did with all that crumb.
>
>Maybe made bread pudding or bread crumbs? Could be salad crutons?

When I ran my little microbakery a few years back, I was once asked for
a batch of "soup bowls" for a local event, so I made large cobs (big
round rolls) and then when cooled cut them about 1/3 up and essentially
hollowed out the bottom by punching it in then sticking them back in
the oven again.

The tops were cut up as wedges to be served with the soup.

Not sure this was ever a popular though, but when I did a bit of research
that was the best I could find.

They did work well and didn't leak - until some time later when some
people didn't like the soup and left them lying about...

But yes, in the UK, every region has at least one type of roll, bun,
bap, crusty, doughie, stottie, etc., etc., etc., ...

Gordon (Living in the land of the well-fired morning roll!)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-64906163

And of-course there's the Glasgow varient...
https://foodanddrink.scotsman.com/food/the-history-of-glasgow-morning-rolls-including-a-recipe-for-making-your-own/

cshenk

May 4, 2023, 6:38:21 PM5/4/23
Hi Gordan! I know only a little on breads in the UK. I do know I
enjoy making bread for my family and do a fair number of types but
never professionally.

Peter Flynn

Jun 1, 2023, 7:11:14 PM6/1/23
Not as far as I know. I think bread bowls for soup are an American
thing; at least, they were unknown in the UK Midlands in the 60s. These
were only the size of a large dinner roll, so hardly big enough for more
than a couple of spoons of soup, and the walls were so think that sup
would leak through them in seconds.

Peter

Bertie Doe

Jun 3, 2023, 6:19:22 AM6/3/23
Top of my bucket list to do, is 'Bunny Chows' South African / Indian Street Food (Bania). Ok, not soup but in SA they use a taller 'Stolen' mold for the bread, filled with curry meat/veg.

cshenk

Jun 9, 2023, 9:02:54 PM6/9/23
Well it was a thought!

Meantime, I have my weekly bread cooling on the bakers rack.

If you look waay back, you'd see me a decade ago posting here. I'm not
the fancy level of Graham, but got inspired to learn how to do boule's
in a cast iron dutch oven. Mostly though I do freeform breads, in
loaves or rounds, smaller buns or baguettes.

I have spinal issues that sadly, are progressive. To make it work with
my limited standing, lifting, and arm/hand strength, I use a bread
machine to make the dough.

To set the scene, I like the taste of Spelt. My flour mix is 20% spelt
and 80% 'bread flour' (a higher protein than USA 'All Purpose' AP
flour).

I tend to use buttermilk as it retards mold and seems to assist with
rise.

1 1/3 c buttermilk
1/3 c water
2 TB butter
4 c flour mix (fluffed wiith spoon then measured that way to cup)
2 TB sugar
2 ts salt
2 ts yeast (instant dry sort, many names)

Run in dough mode which takes 1.5 hours. Remove and shape then rise
for 1-1.5 hours, bake in preheated oven at 400F for 17 minutes (then
check).

Cool on bakers rack before slicing.

Carol, Virginia Beach, Virginia

cshenk

Jun 9, 2023, 9:21:59 PM6/9/23
Sounds interesting Bertie and glad to see you are still here! Lee
seems gone (she was the blind lady who top posted, due to screen reader
problems). Dick Margalis (sp?) long gone too.

Nyssa

Jun 10, 2023, 8:00:23 AM6/10/23
cshenk wrote:

> Bertie Doe wrote:
>
>> On Friday, June 2, 2023 at 12:11:14?AM UTC+1, Peter Flynn
I'm still lurking!

Carol, I adapted one of your bread machine recipes from
back ~2014 into a sandwich bun recipe that would make
the right amount of dough for my 6-holer pan. It was
the recipe that used celery seed and a bit of rye flour.

I've recently started making them again, and my neighbor
is hooked on 'em. ;) I end up with four out of the six
sandwich buns, but it makes her happy.

Nyssa, who baked sandwich bread yesterday and pizza
bread the day before that and may bake a new triple
chocolate cookie recipe this weekend, time permitting

cshenk

Jun 10, 2023, 10:45:23 AM6/10/23
Nyssa wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
(trimmed)

> I'm still lurking!

Hello Nyssa!

> Carol, I adapted one of your bread machine recipes from
> back ~2014 into a sandwich bun recipe that would make
> the right amount of dough for my 6-holer pan. It was
> the recipe that used celery seed and a bit of rye flour.

I have several variations that use seeds for seasoning. If fact I
reposted one (with pictures) on 1 May 23.

Wasn't Peter Flynn the one who got the Panasonic bread machine as best
of the lot where he was?

A few years ago (2017 or so) I caught an Amazon sale just right for a
genuine Zojarushi, horizonal loaf, dual paddle. Was new and 50% off!

> I've recently started making them again, and my neighbor
> is hooked on 'em. ;) I end up with four out of the six
> sandwich buns, but it makes her happy.

LOL! Happens!

> Nyssa, who baked sandwich bread yesterday and pizza
> bread the day before that and may bake a new triple
> chocolate cookie recipe this weekend, time permitting

I want cookies!!!!

I did these yesterday. Pictures came out a little blurry.

https://postimg.cc/GHXdg6r2

https://postimg.cc/VJ51x4LF

That's a go-to sandwich type. Posted the recipe earlier yesterday.
Buttermilk bread.

Nyssa

Jun 10, 2023, 5:16:55 PM6/10/23
I was lucky that I had all of the ingredients for these
puppies. Two types of cocoa, bittersweet chocolate, and
bittersweet chocolate chips.

I made double-sized cookies and they came out wonderfully.

Yes, my neighbor had requested them and she had the honor
of first tasting. She snarfed through several. ;)

Most are now in the freezer to await the dog days of summer
when it's too danged hot to bake.

Everything is washed and the counters clean for the day.

Now the question is: what to make tomorrow?

> I did these yesterday. Pictures came out a little blurry.
>
> https://postimg.cc/GHXdg6r2
>
> https://postimg.cc/VJ51x4LF
>
> That's a go-to sandwich type. Posted the recipe earlier
> yesterday. Buttermilk bread.

Nyssa, who also baked buttermilk raisin cinnamon bread
last weekend

Peter Flynn

Jul 9, 2023, 6:06:35 PM7/9/23
On 10/06/2023 15:45, cshenk wrote:
> Hello Nyssa!

Yes, hello again. I've had my head below the parapet for a few months.

> Wasn't Peter Flynn the one who got the Panasonic bread machine as
> best of the lot where he was?

Yep. It's been voted best in quite a lot of places, and my daughter just
bought one.

However...they have made what I consider to be an astonishingly careless
design change. The machine is rectangular, not square like some, and the
original version had the lid hinge along the long side. This meant it
did not protrude out too much from the back of your worktop when it was
not being used, and it would fit — even opened — under quite low
overhead cupboards because the height of the lid was of course the depth
of the machine (front to back). The new one has the hinge on the short
side, so not only does the machine stick out much more, the lid is much
higher and only fits in kitchens with high wall cabinets that provide
clearance for a high lid.

The reason I went for the Lakeland model was precisely because the lid
hinged on the long side.

And now I must go use it :-)

Peter

cshenk

Jul 25, 2023, 1:08:17 PM7/25/23
Agree, side hinge unless you have enough couterspace to pull it fully
free would be a pain.

Can you partly open and get the pan out then back in? If so, load pan
outside machine then put back in. Not optimal but still, works if you
have to.

Peter Flynn

Sep 14, 2023, 10:58:09 AM9/14/23
On 25/07/2023 18:08, cshenk wrote:
> Peter Flynn wrote:
>
>> On 10/06/2023 15:45, cshenk wrote:
>>> Hello Nyssa!
>>
>> Yes, hello again. I've had my head below the parapet for a few months.
>>
>>> Wasn't Peter Flynn the one who got the Panasonic bread machine as
>>> best of the lot where he was?
>>
>> Yep. It's been voted best in quite a lot of places, and my daughter
>> just bought one.
>>
>> However...they have made what I consider to be an astonishingly
>> careless design change. The machine is rectangular, not square like
>> some, and the original version had the lid hinge along the long side.
>> This meant it did not protrude out too much from the back of your
>> worktop when it was not being used, and it would fit — even opened —
>> under quite low overhead cupboards because the height of the lid was
>> of course the depth of the machine (front to back). The new one has
>> the hinge on the short side, so not only does the machine stick out
>> much more, the lid is much higher and only fits in kitchens with high
>> wall cabinets that provide clearance for a high lid.
>>
>> The reason I went for the Lakeland model was precisely because the
>> lid hinged on the long side.
>>
>> And now I must go use it :-)
>>
>> Peter
>
> Agree, side hinge unless you have enough counterspace to pull it fully
> free would be a pain.

I suspect they want people to have their kitchen redesigned with an
island unit, where overhead clearance is not an issue.

> Can you partly open and get the pan out then back in?

No idea...I didn't buy one. I went for the Lakeland one instead.

> If so, load pan outside machine then put back in. Not optimal but
> still, works if you have to.
Possibly, but I no longer care what stupidities Panasonic does with its
design.

Peter

Peter Flynn

Sep 14, 2023, 11:01:43 AM9/14/23
On 28/08/2021 17:56, Graham wrote:
> On 2021-08-28 7:20 a.m., Peter Flynn wrote:
>> On 25/08/2021 17:25, Graham wrote:
>>> A long but interesting article:
>>> https://tinyurl.com/283adc2m
>>
>> I just looked at the banner image and I don't recognize most of them
>> even though I spent my early life in the UK. I suspect lots of them are
>> regional, but I'll settle down and read the article.
>>
>> Graham, what is the name of that bread roll I used to come across a lot
>> in the midlands in the 60s and 70s, and again in London in the 70s and
>> 80s, round, domed, basically all crust and hollow inside? looking nice
>> but a tasteless swindle of an empty roll.
>>
> I don't know! I hated them too. The "dough buns" that the 2 bakeries in
> my home village made were essentially small baps. The crusts were soft.
> The bakers would never have got away with those hollow monstrosities!

I was back in the UK this week and asked the village bakery about these
rolls. They said they were still around — they wouldn't touch them, but
they seemed to be a product of less scrupulous bakeries, or perhaps
those catering to a less affluent population, where the absence of
content would be made up with "filling".

Peter

Graham

Sep 14, 2023, 12:53:53 PM9/14/23
Certainly when I was a child in my Suffolk village. Most farms employed
numerous labourers and paid them a pittance. Now, farmers "employ" a
couple of computer=controlled machines replacing all those men.