bbc.co.uk - Coronavirus: Flour mills working 'round the clock' to meet demand

TimW

Apr 9, 2020, 7:51:09 AM4/9/20
Coronavirus: Flour mills working 'round the clock' to meet demand

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52212760

"With the nation confined to their homes amid the coronavirus lockdown,
a rise in home baking appears to be contributing to shortages of flour
on supermarket shelves. Grocery sales of flour were up 92% in the four
weeks to 22 March compared to the same period last year...."

Boron Elgar

Apr 9, 2020, 8:46:44 AM4/9/20
This is not only stay at home boredom, I assume, but some necessity,
too, as store have run out of stock at times, at least in this part of
NJ.

I had trouble finding flour around here, but I located a 25lb bag of
my favorite at a grocery wholesaler who had opened to the public for
online ordering. It arrived at my doorstep in a nice box.
Surprisingly, and with all the confusion spiraling around everywhere
these days.they duplicated my order, which also had 5lbs of rye and a
1 qt measuring vessel, the very next week. I was told to keep the
dupe.

50 lbs of flour is way more than I can use up before the heat of
summer sets in.

Malcolm Loades

Apr 10, 2020, 2:02:26 PM4/10/20
For 85 years we had a huge Rank Hovis McDougal flour mill in
Southampton's Western Docks. Constructed on 200 acres of reclaimed
land. Grain was taken directly from ships at the quayside and then
milled. Last year RHM closed the mill for good.

With hindsight not a very good decision.

Nyssa

Apr 23, 2020, 3:43:50 PM4/23/20
Boron, could you give us the URL and name of the wholesaler
please?

I'm having trouble finding flour locally, but even if they
won't deliver to VA, I could at least post the information
on our website. My web-partner is currently working on a
page with links to various places online that will deliver
food...everything from stores to places like HelloFresh or
restaurant delivery services to help shut-ins.

She had previously started gathering the list for a dear friend
in NH who is 90 years old and has a heart condition. It's helped
him, so she figured she'd share it with a (hopefully) larger
audience via the website.

TIA.

Nyssa, who has some flour in the freezer but at the rate
she's using it up it's not going to last nearly long enough

Boron Elgar

Apr 23, 2020, 5:36:44 PM4/23/20
On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 15:42:59 -0400, Nyssa <Ny...@LogicalInsight.net>
wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>

>Boron, could you give us the URL and name of the wholesaler
>please?

https://www.bakersauthority.com/

I've no idea if they only ship locally or at greater distances. All
the info that I have access to is there.

Nyssa

Apr 23, 2020, 5:43:04 PM4/23/20
Thanks! I'll check it out and pass it onto my net-partner
for inclusion in her list if it pans out.

Nyssa, who might just try it out when the flour stash
starts to run low

Ophelia

May 5, 2020, 11:30:29 AM5/5/20

"Malcolm Loades" wrote in message news:hfbqlg...@mid.individual.net...