Fresh milk in place of dried milk powder.

Chris Watts

Jun 9, 2011, 8:37:25 AM6/9/11
I have several recipes that call for dried milk powder. I would prefer to
substitute fresh (semi-skimmed, 2%) milk instead of powder.
How much should I use to replace, for example, 30ml (1 tbsp) of dried? I
appreciate that I will need to reduce the volume of liquid appropriately as
well.

TIA
cheers
Chris

Barry Harmon

Jun 10, 2011, 7:21:59 PM6/10/11
"Chris Watts" <n...@ctwatts.plus.com> wrote in

The best way to figure it out is to consult the package and see how much
makes a quart. A quart is 32 ounces, and there are 64 tablespoons in a
quart.

You may find equivalences for a cup, which is 8 ounces and 16 tablespoons.

My package says that 8 ounces of fresh milk is equivalent to 7 ounces of
water and 1/3 cup dry milk powder.

Remember that when substituting dry milk and fresh milk, you should scald
the fresh milk.

Barry

Chembake

Jun 11, 2011, 5:17:38 AM6/11/11

Just consider fresh milk contains about 10% milk solids and from
there you can make your conversion

Chris Watts

Jun 11, 2011, 2:12:45 AM6/11/11

"Barry Harmon" <john...@optonline.net> wrote in message

Thanks Barry,
I'll convert that to Imperial (where 1 quart is 40 fluid ounces) and metric
measures! No problem there !

cheers
Chris

ribitt

Jun 12, 2011, 7:27:01 AM6/12/11
On Jun 11, 2:12 am, "Chris Watts"

> > "Chris Watts" <n...@ctwatts.plus.com> wrote in
>
> >> I have several recipes that call for dried milk powder.  I would
> >> prefer to substitute fresh (semi-skimmed, 2%) milk instead of powder.
> >> How much should I use to replace, for example, 30ml (1 tbsp) of dried?
> >>  I appreciate that I will need to reduce the volume of liquid
> >> appropriately as well.
>
> >> TIA
> >> cheers
> >> Chris

To speed things up (and reduce the clean-up) I usually mix the milk
powder with the other dry ingredients, and add an approp[riate amoint
of liquid to the recipe. 25 grams (1/4 cup) of powder, and 250 ml of
water (1 cup) works for me.

Ribitt

inga.ko...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2017, 7:46:23 PM11/21/17
Want to make bread in breadmaker have no dry milk only fresh. So how much milk do i use if recipe calls for 1 tbsp dry milk

Peter Flynn

Nov 22, 2017, 5:53:43 PM11/22/17
On 22/11/17 00:46, inga.ko...@gmail.com wrote:
> Want to make bread in breadmaker have no dry milk only fresh. So how
> much milk do i use if recipe calls for 1 tbsp dry milk

My tub of Marvel brand dried milk (UK) says 1pt takes 4½ heaped tbsp,
which is apparently 57g to make 568ml, or in sensible quantities, 100g
to make 1ℓ of milk (why couldn't they just say that instead of fiddling
heaped tablespoons?).

Converting backwards, therefore, 1 tbsp of milk powder appears (via my
scales) to weigh very conveniently about 10g, so it would make 100mℓ of
milk, which is 3½ fl.oz. or just a shade over 3/8 cup.

Remember to decrease the amount of water by this much to compensate for
the milk.

But actually, I have machine recipes with milk powder and without milk
powder and I really can't see what difference it makes, either to form
or to taste. Maybe just leave it out?

///Peter

TimW

Feb 12, 2018, 10:49:18 AM2/12/18
I don't know what the point of small quantitiy of powdered milk would
be unless it is an alternative to a little fat or oil which is needed to
help the crust brown and to make the bread toast nicely but doesn't
effect the taste.

Milk loaf is a nice bread that I enjoy making, it's a bit like a
commercial sandwich loaf. There is no single recipe for it but it is
made with white flour, normally in a tin and to give it a milky
sweetness and the distinctive texture and toasting properties my text
book says that a 50:50 milk:water mix is good, 2:1 better but 100% milk
is too much and can prevent a good rise.
TW

Peter Flynn

Feb 14, 2018, 7:38:03 PM2/14/18
On 12/02/18 15:49, TimW wrote:
> On 22/11/17 22:53, Peter Flynn wrote:
[...]
>> But actually, I have machine recipes with milk powder and without milk
>> powder and I really can't see what difference it makes, either to form
>> or to taste.  Maybe just leave it out?
>
> I don't know what the point of  small quantity of powdered milk would
> be unless it is an alternative to a little fat or oil which is needed to
> help the crust brown and to make the bread toast nicely but doesn't
> effect the taste.

I have no idea either: leaving it out seems to have no effect. The
Panasonic recipe already calls for 15g of butter (for a loaf with 400g
flour).

> Milk loaf is a nice bread that I enjoy making, it's a bit like a
> commercial sandwich loaf. There is no single recipe for it but it is
> made with white flour, normally in a tin and to give it a milky
> sweetness and the distinctive texture and toasting properties my text
> book says that a 50:50 milk:water mix is good, 2:1 better but 100% milk
> is too much and can prevent a good rise.

I remember my great-aunt making a milk loaf for toasting. I can still
taste it :-)

///Peter