5 hats in a bag 3 red 2 blue

shi...@shell9.ba.best.com

Jan 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/26/98

There are 3 people in a room.
There is a bag with 5 hats in it, 3 red and 2 blue.
The 3 people are standing front-to-back in a line.
The 3 people know there are 5 hats in the bag, 3 red and 2 blue.
They can only see the person(s) in front of them, the first guy
sees no one.
One hat is placed randomly on each of there heads.
None of them knows what color his hat is.

The first guy (front of the line) says,
"I dont know what color my hat is."

The second guy (middle of the line) says,
"I dont know what color my hat is."

The third guy (last of the line) says,
"I KNOW what color my hat is."

Then the first guy says,
"OK, then I KNOW what color my hat is too."

Then the second guy says,
"OK, then I KNOW what color my hat is too."

What color was each of their hats and how could they know?

--Joe McCaughan | Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised,
shi...@best.com | And His greatness is unsearchable! Psalm 145:3

STANG

Jan 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/26/98

The first two guys got the red hats. The last three guys in line could
see the color of the hats of the first two men. Through the process of
elimination, they could determine the color of thier own hats.

lwe...@nospam.cybertours.com

Jan 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/26/98

:<shi...@shell9.ba.best.com> wrote:
:
:
[...]

first = blue
second = blue
third = red

The third guy saw the first two wearing blue so then he knew
he was wearing a red. The first and second guys, hearing that
the third guy knew what his was with only seeing two other
hats, figured out that theirs must both be blue.

Scott Morrow

Jan 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/26/98

Feroze Daud wrote:

> The third guy said that he doesnt know what color his hat his. This rules
> out the two people in from of him having both the blue hats ( coz that means
> that the third guy has a red hat ).

You've complicated your answer by misreading the story.. The third guy said he
DID know what color his hat was... The only way he could be sure of his hat
color would be if the first 2 had the two blue hats. Therefore: #1: Blue, #2:
Blue, #3: Red.

--
Check out The Answer Dude at
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/8728

shi...@shell9.ba.best.com

Jan 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/27/98

STANG <zt...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
: shi...@shell9.ba.best.com wrote:
: >
[...]

Nope - there are only (3) guys in line. Check the rules. Good try!

shi...@shell9.ba.best.com

Jan 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/27/98

lwe...@nospam.cyberTours.com wrote:
: :<shi...@shell9.ba.best.com> wrote:
: :
: :
[...]

YES! Could not have said it better... pure inductive reasoning...

--Joe McCaughan | He who heeds the word wisely will find good,
shi...@best.com | And whoever trusts in the Lord, happy is he. Proverbs 16:20

shi...@shell9.ba.best.com

Jan 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/27/98

Feroze Daud <fan...@opera.com> wrote:
: The third guy said that he doesnt know what color his hat his. This rules
: out the two people in from of him having both the blue hats ( coz that means
: that the third guy has a red hat ).

Nope - check the rules and the sequence of events. Here's the quote
from the third guy:

The third guy (last of the line) says,
"I KNOW what color my hat is."

Good try though...

--Joe McCaughan | He who diligently seeks good finds favor,
shi...@best.com | But trouble will come to him who seeks evil. Proverbs 11:27

[...]

Mike

Jan 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/28/98

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998 11:32:25 -0800, "Feroze Daud" <fan...@opera.com>
fired up their news software and posted article
<6aiojg$u...@news.microsoft.com>, which said:

>The third guy said that he doesnt know what color his hat his. This rules
>out the two people in from of him having both the blue hats ( coz that means
>that the third guy has a red hat ).

Read it again. The third guy says he DOES know what color his hat is.
He saw two blue hats, so he know he had to have red. When they knew
the third guy knew, then that meant that they both had red.

---
Any mail sent to the address in the headers will be
deleted. If you need to reach me, put "WeLoveJesus"
before the '@' sign.

^A^
Mike Straw
http://www2.prestel.co.uk/thestraws