Can I change the elastomeric ties on my braces?

aida...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2007, 2:32:20 PM2/2/07
Hello there,

I've had braces for 3 weeks now and here is what I've been doing for
my oral hygiene.

I use my electric tooth brush once a day. I brush with a regular brush
after every meal/snack/drink. At night I use the 'go-between' tiny
brush and floss. I also use a whitening month rinse with hydrogen
peroxide.

I understand that the elastic ligatures stain. However, I didn't
realize that the 'glue' used to bond ceramic brackets to my teeth may
also stain... It seems to me that area where the ceramic brackets meet
the teeth is turning dark (this not happening on the teeth where I
have steel brackets).

Is this 'discoloration normal? I brush and brush, so much so that the
skin around my mouth is getting extremely dry. Am I missing some
important step here? Anything else I should be doing or not doing?

Also, for whatever reason, my ortho does not change elastic ties in
between appointments. Can I change them at home once every two or
three weeks? Would this be okay? I found them on the internet and I am
considering buying them.

I love having the braces on but I can't stand the idea of having an
unclean smile :-[

Thanks for the help!