Pigs as pets

1 view

Santa Is My Father

Aug 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/1/99
I remember seeing, about 12 months ago, a TV programme where a
researcher was testing pigs against dogs to see which was the
most intelligent. They used a computer linked to a simple game which
rewarded the animal on them being able to complete the given task.

Apparently, pigs came out better in the ability to adapt to different
tasks based upon knowledge of an old one, whereas dogs were just
able to copy tasks and so didn't demonstrate any basic understanding
of the actions they performed.

So, if this is true, then the term "mans best friend" can be applied to
something that blindly copies what you tell it to do and obeys you
without question. Therefore my computer is my best friend.

Erm, no, that's a bit geekish isn't it?

Maybe I mean that my washing machine is my best friend. Hmm, no,
that can't be correct.

Aha!! All inanimate objects are my best friends. That's better. This
means that I have lots and lots and lots of friends :)

Oh dear, this has become too surreal.

Back to the original point: Does anyone have any experience with
Pigs as Pets (no Pigs on Plates stories, please...)

Chris

Aug 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/1/99

Santa Is My Father wrote:

> I remember seeing, about 12 months ago, a TV programme where a
> researcher was testing pigs against dogs to see which was the
> most intelligent. They used a computer linked to a simple game which
> rewarded the animal on them being able to complete the given task.
>
> Apparently, pigs came out better in the ability to adapt to different
> tasks based upon knowledge of an old one, whereas dogs were just
> able to copy tasks and so didn't demonstrate any basic understanding
> of the actions they performed.
>
> So, if this is true, then the term "mans best friend" can be applied to
> something that blindly copies what you tell it to do and obeys you
> without question. Therefore my computer is my best friend.

What kind of operating system do you use. I wish I could train my computer
to do what I wish. It is always defying me.

Chris

Chris

Aug 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/1/99

John wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Aug 1999 00:36:19 +0100, "Santa Is My Father"
> <ant...@creaker.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >I remember seeing, about 12 months ago, a TV programme where a
> >researcher was testing pigs against dogs to see which was the
> >most intelligent. They used a computer linked to a simple game which
> >rewarded the animal on them being able to complete the given task.
>

> Thats why movies like BABE were so popular recently. I know some
> people who wanted to get a pig as a pet but in many areas I think
> there are rules against it. Pigs can get very large, the waste they
> leave and the huge weight they get turns off some people.

> >So, if this is true, then the term "mans best friend" can be applied to
> >something that blindly copies what you tell it to do and obeys you
> >without question. Therefore my computer is my best friend.
>

> Yeah but will it pick you up at the airport or lend you money?
> You see it doesnt meet the true criteria for friendship.

No but it will give you the bus schedule and give you a way to sell pictures
of your butt so you don't have to borrow money.

Chris

Shaun Molloy

Aug 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/1/99
Oh boy, this post has just brought back memories I'd rather forget.
I'm going to tell you anyway, cos it has a real moral to the story.

>When I was 14 years old, my mother and Step father had a lovely cottage in
the country, they had this dream that they could live off the land ("the
good life"). So they planted vegetables, kept chickens, a couple of goat's,
4 lambs, little rabbits hopping round the garden etc... You get the
picture!!!!
Any way the time came and they thought they would like a pig. So they bought
the runt of a litter, she was so cute I called her Elkie, she was too young
for solid food so I bottle fed her, she became my best friend ( I was a very
sad individual at the time) and followed me around, I taught her tricks and
things, she was soooo cute, I loved her sooo much.
As Elkie had originally been bought to fatten up and slaughter (I knew
this) I tried all the tricks in the book to try and keep her as a pet. I
suggested she should be used for breeding, They thought it over ( for about
5 mins) and decided against it. We could just get another pig to fatten up
for the freezer?, Not a good idea they said, it would cost too much money to
feed her etc....
So finally very sadly I said goodbye to my Elkie, I kissed her and hugged
her, she seemed to know what was going on, and laid her little head on my
shoulder and made a big sigh, I broke my heart.
My Mum seeing all this, broke down a little, and promised to swap her at
the slaughter yard for another pig of the same weight, this made me feel a
bit better.
The following morning I waved Elkie away, and took the dog for a long walk,
I cried for hours and swore I'd never forget her.
Mum arrived home with the "meat" for the freezer, saying she had managed to
swap for another pig, I was very relieved, as I loved bacon and roast pork
(especially the crackling), but still sad.
Several weeks passed, and one Sunday we all sat down to one of my mums
fantastic roast dinners. There were roast potatoes, home grown vegetables,
and a succulent piece of roast pork, with delicious looking crispy
crackling. I tucked in with gusto, safe in the knowledge that it wasn't my
friend.
After I'd finished, my Mum asked if I'd enjoyed my meal, I sang her praises
saying it was the best I'd ever had. She replied with " I'm sure Elkie would
be really pleased, that you enjoyed her so much in death as you did in life"

THE moral of this story is " YOU CAN NEVER TRUST YOUR PARENTS"

Now I'm gonna have a good cry "sob sob"

LETTY

Aug 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/1/99
I hope that's not true!?

Santa Is My Father

Aug 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/1/99
Me too, that's a bit grimm!

Shaun Molloy

Aug 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/2/99
It really is true, I couldn't eat pork for around 5 years, I think it also
gave me something to base my relationships on.
I only went for short fat blokes, who didn't say much just followed me
around.( at least I'd never go hungry)
I still haven't forgiven my mother for it, but that's just one more thing to
add to the list.
Sarah x x x
.
Santa Is My Father wrote in message
<933542888.22483.0...@news.demon.co.uk>...

LETTY

Aug 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/2/99
No I don't think I could forgive my mother if she'd served one of our family
pet's for dinner gross.

*Letty*

Santa Is My Father

Aug 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/2/99
That's so awful, It always astounds me what some parents do to their
children.

Shaun Molloy

Aug 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/2/99
She's alright really, just has a sick sense of humour, I packed her off to
live in Turkey, she can't bother me too much there!!!

<933631717.22390.0...@news.demon.co.uk>...