The Green Mile....no spoilers

Kim Tymecki

Apr 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/15/99
Okay, so I didn't feel like thinking up a witty subject line.

Just finished reading it, I couldn't buy it in the series...the book would
have ended up costing 30 bucks or so. Really really liked it, but who pray
tell is Tom Hanks going to portray? I just didn't see him fitting into any
of the roles. I though it would be good to have Gary Sinise as Percy, he
plays a good slimeball. Anyway, I think this movie will be very good, on
the same level as Shawshank Redemption for sure, but I'm a little biased,
being as that's the best movie ever and all. Wonder if I have a little
thing for prisons..maybe I ought to go one day, or I could go see my mother,
that's a kind of prison. Uh-oh..late for the therapist.

----------------------
You can talk to yourself, you can even answer yourself. But when you start
arguing with yourself, it's all downhill from there. Is not..is too!

--
----------------------
You can talk to yourself, you can even answer yourself. But when you start
arguing with yourself, it's all downhill from there. Is not..is too!

~Naomi

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
Kim Tymecki <tym...@gtn.net> wrote in message

> Okay, so I didn't feel like thinking up a witty subject line.
>
> Just finished reading it, I couldn't buy it in the series...the
book would
> have ended up costing 30 bucks or so. Really really liked it,
but who pray
> tell is Tom Hanks going to portray? I just didn't see him
fitting into any
> of the roles. I though it would be good to have Gary Sinise as
Percy, he
> plays a good slimeball. Anyway, I think this movie will be
very good, on
> the same level as Shawshank Redemption for sure, but I'm a
little biased,
> being as that's the best movie ever and all. Wonder if I have
a little
> thing for prisons..maybe I ought to go one day, or I could go
see my mother,
> that's a kind of prison. Uh-oh..late for the therapist.

Tom Hanks is portraying Paul Edgecombe, the
main character (of course!) Michael Clarke Duncan
("Bear" from Armageddon) is playing John Coffey.
Gary Sinise has a minor role as Burt Hammersmith,
the attorney that Edgecombe visits to get more
information about Coffey (remember the kid and
the dog?)

I, too, anticipate a great movie. It's written by the
same author and directed by the same director as
Shawshank, and produced by Castle Rock. Also,
it's starring the #1 box-office actor going!

--

"When I want your opinion I'll rattle the bars in your cage."
--Pepsi Robichaud

(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸...~Naomi «-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·... )

e-mail: cordi...@msn.com

Jim Box

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
A guy named Doug Hutchinson plays Percy. He has an on-line diary about the
filming of the movie that you might find interesting:
http://www.doughutchison.com/gmile.htm

-Jim

EnCsMommy

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
Coffey's scars are mentioned several times during the course of the novel.
Anyone have a good idea where they really came from? I have an idea, but maybe
I should say SPOILER WARNING!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Okay, Coffey's age is never mentioned, but we do discover that after he
"energizes" Paul Edgecombe, Paul lives to be over 100 years old. Since Coffey
was executed in 1932, I think the scars came from having been a slave in the
bad old 1850's, before the Civil War. Coffey must have been in his seventies or
eighties at least, and maybe was even older, since he actually had the power.

Does this sound plausible to you?

Lisa E
Mommy to Emily (9-7-97) and Caroline (8-8-98)
Remove the "nospam" to send e-mail

Tim Moses

Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99

EnCsMommy wrote in message <19990416131718...@ngol04.aol.com>...

Highly!

And I applaud you, Lisa: I'd not even stopped to do the calculations
the first time around.....Now I wonder what else I may have missed....

Thanks!

KAH
("Though she be but little, she is fierce.")

~Naomi

Apr 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/17/99
EnCsMommy <encs...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message

> Coffey's scars are mentioned several times during the course of
the novel.
> Anyone have a good idea where they really came from? I have an
idea, but maybe
> I should say SPOILER WARNING!
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> Okay, Coffey's age is never mentioned, but we do discover that
after he
> "energizes" Paul Edgecombe, Paul lives to be over 100 years
old. Since Coffey
> was executed in 1932, I think the scars came from having been a
slave in the
> bad old 1850's, before the Civil War. Coffey must have been in
his seventies or
> eighties at least, and maybe was even older, since he actually
had the power.

> Does this sound plausible to you?
>

> Lisa E

I...don't...know (hmmm) I'm having a hard time
imagining Coffey being that old and still not being
able to read, write, spell, or even understand
how the world works.

Surely someone 70 yrs old would have more
experience. John just seemed sort-of innocent,
and I pictured him at approx. 25-30 yrs. old.

Or, maybe 32. Does anyone get this drift?

I think he *had* the power, but it didn't affect
him like it did Paul and the Mouse, because
he probably never used it on himself.

I still don't know the reason for the scars. They
must have been from beatings. Maybe he'd
been in trouble before. Even after the civil
war black men were not treated well. Someone
whom others thought to be *stupid* would not
have been treated well at all.

SureWin23

Apr 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/17/99
No, I don't think so. I also think he's 25-30 years old. Remember, he's from
the south at a time where treatment to blacks was horrible. I think he was beat
from some white masters. I also think he recieved them through his wanderings.
Wouldn't it be great if there was a pre-sequel to the mile about Coffey and
where he came from?

Kim Tymecki

Apr 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/17/99
that's too funny that Sinise is actually in it! I kind of figured Hanks
would play Edgecombe, but he's definitely not what I pictured. Hanks is a
great actor, and I'm sure he'll do a good job, but he looks a little cleaner
than my mind imagines. Oh well...

BTW, where'd you get all your information on it? I'm too lazy to actually
surf, I need someone to push me!

lily

Apr 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/17/99

SureWin23 <sure...@aol.com> wrote in message

YES!!! Any ideas on how he got his powers? Mabey it was something like in
Phenomenom?
lily

~Naomi

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
Kim Tymecki <tym...@gtn.net> wrote in message

credits should actually go to Bev, wherever necessary:

Internet Movie Database
http://us.imdb.com/Details?Green+Mile,+The+(1999)

Ain't-it-Cool-News (with on-the-set pictures!)
http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=2180

Green Mile Journal
http://www.doughutchison.com/gmile.htm

Corona's Coming Attractions
(search 'by name" for The Green Mile)
http://corona.bc.ca/films/filmlistingsFramed.html

This should catch you up!

~Naomi

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
SureWin23 wrote in message <19990417165350...@ng-ft1.aol.com>...

>>(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸...~Naomi «-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·... )

>No, I don't think so. I also think he's 25-30 years old. Remember, he's

from
>the south at a time where treatment to blacks was horrible. I think he was
beat
>from some white masters. I also think he recieved them through his
wanderings.
>Wouldn't it be great if there was a pre-sequel to the mile about Coffey and
>where he came from?

That would make a great book, a really great movie, but a *better*
TV Series! Just imagine, John Coffey wandering through the land,
stopping here and there to help out the 'innocent', getting in
trouble, getting thrown out of town, continuing his wanderings...

Wait! Wasn't that the premise for "Kung Fu"?
I thought I'd seen it done somewhere before...

:o)

-----

Harry B Kalb

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
Kim Tymecki (tym...@gtn.net) wrote:

> that's too funny that Sinise is actually in it! I kind of figured Hanks
> would play Edgecombe, but he's definitely not what I pictured.

I still say Ed Harris should've been Paul. Think of his
performance as Alan Pangborn in "Needful Things". Hanks
just doesnt seem "seasoned" enough. I can't see him playing
a cop or prison guard at all.

HBK

~Naomi

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
Harry B Kalb wrote in message ...

Harry: try this like for a picture of Tom in character:

http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=2180

sometimes a visual helps!

Marthapups

Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
In article <f1KS2.26$w%1....@typhoon.nyu.edu>, hbk...@is7.nyu.edu (Harry B
Kalb) writes:

> I still say Ed Harris should've been Paul. Think of his
> performance as Alan Pangborn in "Needful Things". Hanks
> just doesnt seem "seasoned" enough. I can't see him playing
> a cop or prison guard at all.
>

> HBK

I couldn't see that adorable hunk of a man playing a gay lawyer as he did in
Philadelphia...but he pulled it off IMO.

Give him a chance:)

Tina

Brian

Apr 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/21/99
Just a thought, maybe they are scars from wounds he has healed on others?
Once again, just a thought.

--
ic...@i.dont.think.so.swbell.net
http://home.swbell.net/ictdj

~Naomi wrote in message ...

>>>(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸...~Naomi «-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·... )
>

>>No, I don't think so. I also think he's 25-30 years old. Remember, he's
>from
>>the south at a time where treatment to blacks was horrible. I think he was
>beat
>>from some white masters. I also think he recieved them through his
>wanderings.
>>Wouldn't it be great if there was a pre-sequel to the mile about Coffey
and
>>where he came from?
>

>That would make a great book, a really great movie, but a *better*
>TV Series! Just imagine, John Coffey wandering through the land,
>stopping here and there to help out the 'innocent', getting in
>trouble, getting thrown out of town, continuing his wanderings...
>
>Wait! Wasn't that the premise for "Kung Fu"?
>I thought I'd seen it done somewhere before...
>

>:o)

Jeff & Traci De

Apr 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/21/99
Brian wrote:

> Just a thought, maybe they are scars from wounds he has healed on others?
> Once again, just a thought.

That's what I had always assumed. It never crossed my mind that he
might have got them himself. Discussion is good!

Traci

--
It speaks to us... guides us... Passion rules us all. And we obey. What
other choice do we have?

Timothy Hollister

Apr 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/21/99

SPOILERS AHEAD

Just a guess, I Coffey was supposed to be a Crist figure, (His being
executed around the age of 30, trying to take pain from others, and the most
blatant sign, his initals, oh yeah, theres the fact that King pretty much
tells us he is a Christ figure). So maybe the scars are supposed to be kind
of like stigmata (sp?) wounds. Since the wonds are in the wrong places it
might be a weak guess but I think its an ok one anyway.

~Naomi

Apr 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/22/99
Timothy Hollister <ti...@excelonline.com> wrote in message

> SPOILERS AHEAD
>

> Just a guess, I Coffey was supposed to be a Crist figure,
(His being
> executed around the age of 30, trying to take pain from
others, and the most
> blatant sign, his initals, oh yeah, theres the fact that
King pretty much
> tells us he is a Christ figure). So maybe the scars are
supposed to be kind
> of like stigmata (sp?) wounds. Since the wonds are in the
wrong places it
> might be a weak guess but I think its an ok one anyway.

This is sort-of the point I was trying to make earlier
(when I mentioned his age). I'm glad I wasn't the only one!

--

"When I want your opinion I'll rattle the bars in your
cage."

--Pepsi Robichaud

EnCsMommy

Apr 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/22/99
I think everyone kind of missed the point of my original post. SPOILERS
.
My point being, John Coffey may have *appeared* to be in his thirties, but if
the transferred power he gave Paul Edgecombe allowed Paul to age to 104 while
looking perhaps 80, don't you think the original holder of that power could be
70, 80, even 100.... and NEVER AGE?????

THAT was my point, which would make Coffey's scars highly likely to have come
from some bad ol' Massa back in the bad ol' slaving days.

entropy

Apr 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/22/99

~Naomi <cordi...@ihatemsn.com> wrote in message

> Harry B Kalb wrote in message ...
> >Kim Tymecki (tym...@gtn.net) wrote:
> >
> >> that's too funny that Sinise is actually in it! I kind of figured
Hanks
> >> would play Edgecombe, but he's definitely not what I pictured.
> >
> > I still say Ed Harris should've been Paul. Think of his
> > performance as Alan Pangborn in "Needful Things". Hanks
> > just doesnt seem "seasoned" enough. I can't see him playing
> > a cop or prison guard at all.
> >

> > HBK
>
> Harry: try this like for a picture of Tom in character:
>
> http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=2180
>
> sometimes a visual helps!

Nope. Still thinking Ed Harris here, too. Hanks is too much a little boy yet
(every time I look at him, I think 'Big'. Can't help it).

entropy

Apr 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/22/99

EnCsMommy <encs...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message

It's a nice idea, but doesn't hold up. If he had been a slave, he would have
had some sort of cynicism or even hatred in him (at the very least, a deep
distrust for white folks). No matter how loving you are, seventy years of
beatings, humiliation, anger, hatred, and pain are going to take their toll
on you, Christ figure or not.

And for that matter, as a Christ figure, Coffey seems a little too slow for
it. Christ (if'n you believe the bible) was one smart guy, and Coffey should
at least have had some kind of intelligence hiding in there for that to
work, too. A semi-retarded Christ just doen't work for me (NOTE: that's for
me, and if it works for you, great. I am not attacking anyone here).

I believe that the scars are indeed physical manifestations of wounds he has
healed and not released, the 'black bugs' making their mark on him, as
someone else has mentioned in this thread (Brian, wasn't it?).

Janel Adair

Apr 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/23/99

EnCsMommy wrote in message <19990422010748...@ngol02.aol.com>...
>Lisa E
>Mommy to Emily (9-7-97) and Caroline (8-8-98)
>Remove the "nospam" to send e-mail

When I first read this I totally agreed with it. It never ever occured to
me
while reading it, but it makes perfect, perfect sense now. Thanks for
sharing.

Originally, I just thought he was beaten. Not while he was a slave, but
just because he was black. Being a black man in that day and age
wasn't really safe. People actually used to think "Birth of a Nation"
was a brilliant, beautiful and >realistic< work of art, and some people
thought it was historically correct. Not just some people either, but MOST
people believed it. The Klan and the other groups of those sorts had
quite a large member list. At one point it was such a political force that
they had their own [successful] political party. The only third political
party that's ever had that degree of success as a matter of fact. A black
man, especially a huge, somewhat intimidating, yet not bright and
quite docile black man was likely to get lynched in that day and age.
Being whipped was just as likely.

I look at this though, and it seems a bit weird. Why would he [SK]
include
such a detail that's so immaterial? I think the idea that he was actually
much older than he looked is a much more sound one. It would be a
definite, but subtle foreshadowing that there was something very different
about this man. There's actual reasoning behind it then. I dunno though,
maybe a reread is in order. I only read it about two months ago (and man
did it make me cry like a baby) but maybe reading it looking for clues about
this question might be good.

_________
janel adair

Saba Shehzadi

Feb 2, 2024, 10:48:53 AMFeb 2
✅🔴▶️▶ Really Amazing ️You Can Try This ◀️◀️🔴✅

✅▶️▶️ CLICK HERE Full HD✅720p✅1080p✅4K✅

WATCH ✅💻📺📱👉https://co.fastmovies.org

ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ ✅📺📱💻👉https://co.fastmovies.org

🔴WATCH>>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org

✅WATCH>>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org

💚WATCH>>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org

🔴💚 Really Amazing ️You Can Try This💚WATCH>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>LINK>
👉https://co.fastmovies.org

🔴💚CLICK HERE Full HD✅720p✅1080p✅4K💚WATCH>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>LINK>