desperation: johnny; tak

Siberri

Jul 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/12/97

I just finished reading Desperation in the wee hours of this
morning, and I think I'll always consider it one of my favorite
SK books simply because I really, really liked Johnny a lot.
Definitely one of my favorite characters ever... if it weren't
for him, actually, I doubt I would ever reread the book. It was
a good story, but the endless descriptions of the mine was
just almost insufferable...

Casting... did anyone agree with my choice of Bill Paxton
for Collie? And who might best play Johnny? I'm going blank
on that one, for some reason..

One other question...
what's the difference between It and Tak? I mean, aside
from the obvious things, i.e., they don't "behave" the same way,
they both have a different m.o., so to speak.. I mean what is
the difference, really? Is one greater or more powerful than
the other, as in, would one be a lesser force than the other,
or are they just simply different... Or are they one and the
same?

aimee

stevie canuck

Jul 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/12/97

Siberri wrote:

>>>Johnny was the only character that I could see who would be a good
>>>person to play him. I clearly saw Kellsy Grammer in that role. Johnny
>>>reminded me alot of the character Frasier that he plays. Did anyone
>>>else see this?

> Hmm.... I'm not sure about how much Johnny reminded me of
> Frasier, but I think I could easily see Mr. Grammar playing
> Johnny, if he were aged just a bit. Pretty good call, I'd say!
> I kept stupidly picturing Howard Hesseman, which makes
> *no* sense... I'm sure it was just because of the name "Johnny"
> (as in Fever).. :)

Grammar is too young to play Johnny, and I can't see a single similarity
between Frasier and Marinville.

I think Dennis Hopper would be ideal to play Johnny in a good film
adaptation of Desperation. I could also see Nick Nolte in the part.

Stevie C

to e-mail me change .com to .ca
--
sometimes the beauty is easy
sometimes you don't have to try at all

Laura OS

Jul 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/15/97

On 12 Jul 1997, Siberri wrote:

> >>Johnny was the only character that I could see who would be a good
> person
> to play him. I clearly saw Kellsy Grammer in that role. Johnny reminded me
> alot of the character Frasier that he plays. Did anyone else see this?<<
>
> Hmm.... I'm not sure about how much Johnny reminded me of
> Frasier, but I think I could easily see Mr. Grammar playing
> Johnny, if he were aged just a bit. Pretty good call, I'd say!
> I kept stupidly picturing Howard Hesseman, which makes
> *no* sense... I'm sure it was just because of the name "Johnny"
> (as in Fever).. :)

D'oh! <striking head with palm> I *knew* I was picturing someone like
Howard Hesseman, and wasn't sure why... Thank you!

Actually, I also pictured someone a little more life-worn, like a Scott
Glenn-type.

Laura

When e-mailing, change the last letter in the reply-to field from x to u.
*********************************
<series of cool quotes forthcoming. . . watch this sig space.>

Ray

Jul 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/15/97

Siberri wrote:

> I just finished reading Desperation in the wee hours of this
> morning, and I think I'll always consider it one of my favorite
> SK books simply because I really, really liked Johnny a lot.
> Definitely one of my favorite characters ever... if it weren't
> for him, actually, I doubt I would ever reread the book. It was
> a good story, but the endless descriptions of the mine was
> just almost insufferable...
>
> Casting... did anyone agree with my choice of Bill Paxton
> for Collie?

Micheal Madsen, "Mr Blonde" from Reservoir Dogs would be absolutely
perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JUNSIX

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

In article <19970712162...@ladder02.news.aol.com>,
sib...@aol.com (Siberri) writes:

>Hmm.... I'm not sure about how much Johnny reminded me of
>Frasier, but I think I could easily see Mr. Grammar playing
>Johnny, if he were aged just a bit. Pretty good call, I'd say!
>I kept stupidly picturing Howard Hesseman, which makes
>*no* sense... I'm sure it was just because of the name "Johnny"
>(as in Fever).. :)

I can't see Grammer as Johnny at all, but Howard Hessman did cross my
mind. Another possibility is William Hurt.

The really tough call would be David. Not too many young actors with that
kind of range.

Marti

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eschew Obfuscation
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stephen Lewis

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

I still think that (physically, at least) you've gotta think about Dolph
Lundgren. Hey, Hollywood owes him a break. I could stretch my
imagination and see Stallone taking him out in Rocky 4, but to go down
to Jean-Claude Van Damme (all 5'8" of him) was a bit much. Anyway, if he
pulled you over, wouldn't it scare the #@*! out of you? It would me...

Charlie P., #44

Stephen Lewis

Jul 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/18/97
to Siberri

You are, of course, absolutely correct. I _know_ that Dolph is a
terrible actor - maybe worse than the dreaded Michael Dudikoff (trust
me, you're better off not knowing ;-b)), but:

***********************DESPERATION SPOILER!!****************************
1) Arnold Schwarzenegger is too expensive to kill off halfway through
the flick;
*********************************END SPOILER****************************

2) All he really has to do is be big and menacing;
3) If you've seen Graveyard Shift or Sleepwalkers, you know that the
producers - who, granted, aren't nearly as smart as we are - won't be as
careful as they should be.

All of which is a pretty damn long-winded way of saying that as long as
they can get Johnny and David (and maybe Mary) cast well enough, a few
flaws in the other parts might be forgivable.

Thanks for your input. You'll find, as we continue here, that I come up
with some off-the-wall stuff. Your polite indulgence is greatly
appreciated.

Charlie P., #44

Matt Martinez

Jul 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/18/97

Ray wrote:

> > Casting... did anyone agree with my choice of Bill Paxton
> > for Collie?
> >
> Micheal Madsen, "Mr Blonde" from Reservoir Dogs would be absolutely
> perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I envisioned John Travolta.

--

Matt

"Do not be so proud of this technological terror you have constructed.
The ability to criticize Star Wars is insignificant next to power of the
Fans"
-Brandon David Short
(-o-)

**Remove MAIL from my e-mail address to reply**

Ray

Jul 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/18/97

Matt Martinez wrote:

> Ray wrote:
> >
> > > Casting... did anyone agree with my choice of Bill Paxton
> > > for Collie?
> > >
> > Micheal Madsen, "Mr Blonde" from Reservoir Dogs would be absolutely
> > perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >

> Actually, I envisioned John Travolta.

The John Travolta from "Grease" maybe, now he's kinda too soft.

Can't you just see Micheal Madsen doing that Miranda scene?

Celia

Jul 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/19/97

Peter Fonda would be perfect!!!
--
-Cecil-
yup, I'm tired of the spam stuff too

J. Junod <ju...@u.washington.edu> wrote in article
<Pine.A41.3.95b.970715...@homer34.u.washington.edu>.
.

*****
> absk geek code:
> IT++++ ST+++ TA++
> P+ R++ OT+ F N+ DK++++
> sk+++ ps+ dk ep++ ar- ac+++
> C++ I++ GO---- V++++ OR- ot+++
> ***********************************

Stephen Lewis

Jul 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/19/97

And did you really think Shelley Duvall was that good? ;-) Seriously,
though: how about Christopher Walken in The Dead Zone, both leads in
Shawshank Redemption, the cast of Stand By Me, Drew Barrymore in
Firestarter, Gary Busey in Silver Bullet (the last decent role he had,
IMHO)...any more?
Thanks for the help, though.

Charlie P., #44

stevie canuck

Jul 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/19/97

Fugitive Entity wrote:

> With the exception of The Shining, of course, when did they ever get a
> person who can "act worth a damn" to be in a Stephen King movie?

Stand By Me ... Keifer Sutherland, John Cusack, Will Wheaton
Misery ... Kathy Bates, James Caan,
Dolores Claiborne ... Kathy Bates, Christopher Plummer, Jennifer Jason
Leigh
Shawshank Redemption ... Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman
The Dead Zone ... Christopher Walken, Martin Sheen
Firestarter ... George C. Scott, Martin Sheen

Geez, and that's just off the top of my head, and just the films I've
seen plus Shawshank !!!

Stevie C

to e-mail me change .com to .ca
--

So we make stories of our own,
in fevered and envious imitation of our Maker,

Matt Martinez

Jul 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/22/97

Josh Tinch wrote:

> I think Peter Fonda would be great for Johnny (the way he looked in
> "Escape from L.A." ,except with leather and a different attitude), but I
> think Lance Henrikson (of Millenium and many other movies) would make
> the perfect Collie. I read the regulators first and from the desription
> Lance was the only person I could picture in my mind (height may be a
> factor, but thats a small detail in lieu of a good performance). Thats
> just my opinoin, any one else agree? Sorry for being late to the
> thread, but I just found this N.G.

Okay, I didn't read _The Regulators_ since I was so disappointed with
_Desperation_, so could somebody explain to me what the connection is
between them? I don't mind spoilers.

TERRY WRIGHT

Jul 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/22/97

I THINK SAM ELLIOTT WOULD MAKE A GOOD JOHNNY. HE'S RUGGED AND HANDSOME.
WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?

Susan Ann Swan

Jul 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/23/97

I'll try casting "Desperation," which I just finished, and didn't
really like:

Mary: Rebecca DiMornay
Collie: That guy with the shaking eyes from the movie "Heavy"
David: The kid from "Slingblade"
Johnny: Agree that Peter Fonda would be good
Drunk Man: The guy who played Johnny Fever from WKRP
Ellen: Cybill Shepherd (she would camp it up)
Cindy: Juliette Lewis
Steve: Bill Paxton

ss

VerbalGirl

Jul 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/23/97

>I'll try casting "Desperation," which I just finished, >and didn't really
like:

>Mary: Rebecca DiMornay

ergh--- not another one with her in it...
aside from that, I only pictured Mary as someone with dark hair and
features... I'm thinking he did specify dark hair, but I don't recall...
Yes, hair dye, sure, but
I just really, really can't stand Rebecca DeMornay. :)

>Collie: That guy with the shaking eyes from the movie "Heavy"

I do have to say Bill Paxton as Collie... but then, I haven't seen the
movie you're talking about either..

>David: The kid from "Slingblade"

I've had a hard time picturing David, for some reason..

>Johnny: Agree that Peter Fonda would be good

Peter Fonda would work for me, if I could just get Donald Sutherland (with
grey toned down *just* a bit) out of my head..

>Drunk Man: The guy who played Johnny Fever from WKRP

Drunk man?? Hmm.. do you mean the really old guy, the vet, who was a
citizen of Desperation? Howard Hesseman isn't nearly old enough, I'm
thinking..

>Ellen: Cybill Shepherd (she would camp it up)

That's a pretty interesting choice. I'll have to think about that one. I
think I like it. I was picturing someone more "motherly" like... oh, I
don't know, that woman who played the mom on Lost Boys and Edward
Scissorhands..

>Cindy: Juliette Lewis

I can definitely see that one, but Cynthia has always in my mind, ever
since Rose Madder, been played by Fairuza Balk. She's definitely got the
attitude!

>Steve: Bill Paxton

Good call there, but I already had him picked for Collie... hmm again.
What about Woody Harrelson? No? oh well... <g>

Shelly

Jul 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/23/97

TERRY WRIGHT wrote:

> I THINK SAM ELLIOTT WOULD MAKE A GOOD JOHNNY. HE'S RUGGED AND HANDSOME.
> WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?

I definitely think Sam Elliott would make a good Johnny. He is HOT!!

Shelly
sa9s...@hotmail.com

Ray

Jul 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/24/97

Siberri wrote:

> >>Stevie C
> (still shuddering at the notion of Kelsey Grammar as Johhny)<<
>
> Okay, okay...
> I like some of the ones who have been mentioned since,
> especially Sam Sheppard... what about Donald Sutherland?
> Too old? He does have some seriously grey hair..

I made the mistake of watching the movie Firestarter before beginning
Desperation and couldn't shake the image of George C Scott (Rainbird) as
johnny. Only I'm sure he's too old now.

VerbalGirl

Jul 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/25/97

>I made the mistake of watching the movie Firestarter before beginning
>Desperation and couldn't shake the image of George C Scott (Rainbird) as
>johnny. Only I'm sure he's too old now.

hmmm.... did I hear that he passed away? I hope not, but it seems like I
did? Maybe not..

JUNSIX

Jul 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/26/97

In article <19970723172...@ladder02.news.aol.com>,
verba...@aol.com (VerbalGirl) writes:

>>I'll try casting "Desperation," which I just finished, >and didn't
really
>like:
>>
>>Mary: Rebecca DiMornay
>
>ergh--- not another one with her in it...
>aside from that, I only pictured Mary as someone with dark hair and
>features... I'm thinking he did specify dark hair, but I don't recall...
>Yes, hair dye, sure, but
>I just really, really can't stand Rebecca DeMornay. :)

I pictured Mary Steenburgen (sp?)

>>Johnny: Agree that Peter Fonda would be good
>
>Peter Fonda would work for me, if I could just get Donald Sutherland
(with
>grey toned down *just* a bit) out of my head..
>
>>Drunk Man: The guy who played Johnny Fever from WKRP
>
>Drunk man?? Hmm.. do you mean the really old guy, the vet, who was a
>citizen of Desperation? Howard Hesseman isn't nearly old enough, I'm
>thinking..

I still have Hesseman pictured as Johnny (nothing to do with the WKRP
thing)

>>Ellen: Cybill Shepherd (she would camp it up)
>
>That's a pretty interesting choice. I'll have to think about that one.
>think I like it. I was picturing someone more "motherly" like... oh, I
>don't know, that woman who played the mom on Lost Boys and Edward
>Scissorhands..

I can't stomach Cybill Shepherd in so much as a hair color comercial! I'm
not sure who else I would choose tho. Definately a maternal type.

>>Cindy: Juliette Lewis
>
>I can definitely see that one, but Cynthia has always in my mind, ever
>since Rose Madder, been played by Fairuza Balk. She's definitely got the
>attitude!

I like the girl from Chasing Amy and Second Noah (can't remember her
name).

ERJunkie2

Jul 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/26/97

> I was picturing someone more "motherly" like... oh, I
>>don't know, that woman who played the mom on Lost Boys and Edward
>>Scissorhands..

That would be Dianne Wiest (sp?)

Susan

HungFury

Jul 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/29/97

In article <rcbaaw.8...@asterix.urc.tue.nl>, rcb...@urc.tue.nl
(Angelo Wentzler) writes:

>For some reason I keep
>seeing Stephen King's face on Johnny...

Why ever not? After all, who was the writer on the motorcycle tour in the
first place? <g> I keep picturing him with long grey hair, though...
like an aging writer donning the trappings of an aging Hell's Angel.

-Methuselah
Hung...@aol.com
"Living with the shades pulled down all day,
Loving while the world goes 'round.
Nobody knows what-all we're doing
Living with the shades pulled down." -Haggard, Bryant

Shelly

Jul 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/30/97

Ray wrote:

> > (still shuddering at the notion of Kelsey Grammar as Johhny)<<
> >
> > Okay, okay...
> > I like some of the ones who have been mentioned since,
> > especially Sam Sheppard... what about Donald Sutherland?
> > Too old? He does have some seriously grey hair..
>
> I made the mistake of watching the movie Firestarter before beginning
> Desperation and couldn't shake the image of George C Scott (Rainbird) as
> johnny. Only I'm sure he's too old now.

I think Sam Elliott would be a GREAT Johnny! He is awesome!

Shelly
sa9s...@hotmail.com

Gail Warnings

Aug 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/2/97

> >>Ellen: Cybill Shepherd (she would camp it up)
> >
> >That's a pretty interesting choice. I'll have to think about that one.

> >think I like it. I was picturing someone more "motherly" like... oh, I

> >don't know, that woman who played the mom on Lost Boys and Edward
> >Scissorhands..

That would be Dianne Wiest. She was also in Parenthood and lots of Woody
Allen movies. I just love her!

G. Warnings

Evenflow

Aug 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/2/97

New to the thread, so I don't know if this has been mentioned. I could not
read Desperation without envisioning Gerry Spence (often described as "the
flamboyant lawyer") as Johnny. Get this: He's arrogant, smart, articulate,
on the downhill side of his glory days, probably HAS fucked America's
sweetheart, and sports the graying long hair already.

Plus, he's a lawyer, so we all know he can act.

-EvenFlow

Plague7284

Aug 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/5/97

I think Harrison Ford might make a good johnny. he's got that kind of
attitude. Collie would probably be an arnold type guy, except without the
accent

Margo Townsend

Aug 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/5/97

Arnold? Tom or Schwarzenegger (sp)? ROFLMAO

Margo (sad to say from Iowa, like Tom Arnold)