Stumping Blaine

Mark Nesbitt

Jan 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/29/97

While re-reading the Dark Tower books I noticed that in Jakes poem "My
Understanding of the Truth" he wrote two riddles. Susannah used one
when riddling Blaine in the new novel but what about the other one?
What is black and white and red all over? A blushing zebra. Can this
be used to stump Blaine or has it already been used? I know it doesn't
fit with the idea of the stumping riddle coming from Jakes book of
riddles but I wanted to ask anyway.

Mark

Eric Magnusson

Jan 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/30/97

Mark Nesbitt <mnes...@tor.hookup.net> wrote in article
<32EFA0...@tor.hookup.net>...

hmm... I would think that riddle wouldn't work.. far too many answers to
it:
A blushing zebra
A blushing penguin
A blushing nun
A newspaper
etc., etc., etc.

Sven Anders Robbestad

Jan 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/30/97

["Eric Magnusson" <eri...@mindspring.com>]:

And it wouldn't be a "true" riddle either. Zebras don't blush (or turn red, in
any case). Neither does penguins. A newspaper?

Sven
--
Sven Anders Robbestad, sv...@ipec.no
http://www.sn.no/~svena (personlig hjemmeside/personal home page)

Sven Anders Robbestad

Jan 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/30/97

[Zorina Wrenn <jtw...@aloha.net>]:

>Aloha Sven:
>
>This is an oldie from schooldays. It is an oral riddle:

Hmm, I like the sound of that. Remove that l and one of the d's and, and, oh.
<where's the moderator when you need him?... W.... Wanna come over here for a
moment?> :)

>What is black and white and *read* all over?...A newspaper!

<duh>, and thanks! :)

Bette

Jan 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/30/97

Well the way we told it up in Massachusetts when I was going up is:

Q. "what's black and white and red all over and can't get through a
revolving door?"

A. A nun with a spear through her head.

Made no sense (and no offense to the Catholics or nuns among you) but it
still makes me laugh.

web-server-account

Jan 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/30/97

Sven Anders Robbestad (sv...@ipec.no) wrote:
: ["Eric Magnusson" <eri...@mindspring.com>]:

: >Mark Nesbitt <mnes...@tor.hookup.net> wrote in article
: ><32EFA0...@tor.hookup.net>...
: >> While re-reading the Dark Tower books I noticed that in Jakes poem "My
: >> Understanding of the Truth" he wrote two riddles. Susannah used one
: >> when riddling Blaine in the new novel but what about the other one?
: >> What is black and white and red all over? A blushing zebra. Can this

: >> be used to stump Blaine or has it already been used? I know it doesn't
: >> fit with the idea of the stumping riddle coming from Jakes book of
: >> riddles but I wanted to ask anyway.
: >>
: >hmm... I would think that riddle wouldn't work.. far too many answers to

: >it:
: >A blushing zebra
: >A blushing penguin
: >A blushing nun
: >A newspaper
: >etc., etc., etc.

: And it wouldn't be a "true" riddle either. Zebras don't blush (or turn red, in
: any case). Neither does penguins. A newspaper?

Substitute "Red" for "Read" (past tense form, a homonym). A newspaper is black
and white, and it is read all over. This riddle is only 'fair' when spoken so
that 'red' and 'read' may be interchanged.

--
Bev Vincent
Houston, TX

Mike Bowen

Jan 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/30/97

In article <32f1f5c1...@news.sn.no>, Sven Anders Robbestad
<sv...@ipec.no> writes

>And it wouldn't be a "true" riddle either. Zebras don't blush (or turn red, in
>any case). Neither does penguins. A newspaper?
>
>Sven

A newspaper is read.

Unless of course it is the Sun.

--
Mike

Zorina Wrenn

Jan 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/30/97
to Sven Anders Robbestad

Sven Anders Robbestad wrote:

> >> What is black and white and red all over? A newspaper?

Aloha Sven:

This is an oldie from schooldays. It is an oral riddle:

What is black and white and *read* all over?...A newspaper!

Riddle-dee-dee,
Zorina

Argus

Jan 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/30/97

Eric Magnusson wrote:

> Mark Nesbitt <mnes...@tor.hookup.net> wrote in article
> <32EFA0...@tor.hookup.net>...
> > While re-reading the Dark Tower books I noticed that in Jakes poem "My
> > Understanding of the Truth" he wrote two riddles. Susannah used one
> > when riddling Blaine in the new novel but what about the other one?
> > What is black and white and red all over? A blushing zebra. Can this
> > be used to stump Blaine or has it already been used? I know it doesn't
> > fit with the idea of the stumping riddle coming from Jakes book of
> > riddles but I wanted to ask anyway.
> >
> > Mark

> hmm... I would think that riddle wouldn't work.. far too many answers to
> it:
> A blushing zebra
> A blushing penguin
> A blushing nun
> A newspaper
> etc., etc., etc.

A Nun with a spear in her head

A.

David Anaxagoras

Jan 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/31/97

Mark Nesbitt <mnes...@tor.hookup.net> wrote in article
<32EFA0...@tor.hookup.net>...

> What is black and white and red all over? A blushing zebra.

(at the risk of showing how little class I have)
Reminds me of my favorite childhood (childish) joke:

What's black and white and red all over and has trouble getting through a
revolving door?

A nun with a spear through her head.

Okay, I'm really, really sorry... let's not start a whole thread of "frog
in blender" jokes.

-Dave

--
David Anaxagoras cybe...@deltanet.com
http://users.deltanet.com/~cybercat/

"If you think you can or you can't, you're right."
-Henry Ford

John & Lisa

Jan 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/31/97

rstot...@aol.com wrote:

> In article <32F0F3...@ix.netcom.com>, Bette <cre...@ix.netcom.com>
> LMAO. I haven't laughed that hard on the net in a while. Thanks!
>
> Robert

Spitting diet coke all over the screen and blowing it out my nostrils.
To funny for words.

LisaM

rstot...@aol.com

Feb 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/1/97

Cheryl

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

For the delayed reaction, i apologise, but i have just finished reading
the Dark Tower, and up until this point hadn't got the foggiest notion
of what you were all going on about (it all becomes so much clearer).

So, am I the only one who thinks Oy is going to be the one to stump
Blaine? By stump i of course mean wandering off somewhere and weeing on
a vital piece of the damn train's circuits.

If any of you recall what it is like to bring a new pet home, you'll
also remember that the little buggers have a tendency to leave damp or
smelly pressies all over the place, especially when excited, and Oy, the
poor dear has had a rather exciting few hours, what with the bridge, and
helping Jake, and Roland did give him all that water to drink! And the
waterfall can't have helped much. IMO Eddie is just too obvious a
solution.

On the subject of Oy, no matter what description was given in the book,
i can't help imagining him as sort of a small Womble. I'm thinking
Orinoco here.

Oh well I'm off to go grumble about the result in New Zealand, I can't
believe we lost to the A-team, the shame!

Cheryl
Bob! You fool!......Don't plug that thing in!

Bette

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

(bows to Robert)

No problem, my friend. If you ever need a laugh, let me know!

Bette

Srinath Sridevan

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

Dani_K (dan...@koffee.vip.best.com) wrote:
> Heya Cheryl,

> >So, am I the only one who thinks Oy is going to be the one to
> >stump Blaine? By stump i of course mean wandering off somewhere
> >and weeing on a vital piece of the damn train's circuits.

Actually, no. When a thread started on this topic a couple of
months back, I had thought of the same thing. But I never thought of the
way he would do it. I presumed that he would ask Blaine something in
billy-bumbler language, which Blaine can be presumed to know.

SS

yvon...@aol.com

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

Cheryl writes:

>On the subject of Oy, no matter what description was given in the book,
>i can't help imagining him as sort of a small Womble. I'm thinking
>Orinoco here.

A Womble—are those the giant rats? Where is Orinoco? Africa or South
America? I am all a jumble right now. Anyway, I see Oy as those giant
rat-things in South America (Patagonia? Hell, I don't know)

Yvonne 8)
Agent Double-Oh-Something

Mike Bowen

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

In article <19970203145...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
yvon...@aol.com writes

Orinoco can be found wandering around Wimbledon Common, South London
with Uncle Bulgaria and a few more relulgar Wombles. Whose names I
cannot remember.

I think he was named after a river in Africa.
--
Mike

defp...@aol.com

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

Carol Clements writes:

>On 3 Feb 1997 14:52:48 GMT, yvon...@aol.com wrote:
>
>>A Womble—are those the giant rats? Where is Orinoco? Africa or South
>>America? I am all a jumble right now. Anyway, I see Oy as those giant
>>rat-things in South America (Patagonia? Hell, I don't know)

<snipped the cute stuff>
>I see Oy as a dog-like thing. Probably because I'm sort of
>predisposed to dogs in general...
>
>Carol.

I don't know Carol -- I'm predisposed to cats and I picture Oy as a
dog-like thing too. Perhaps it's the "man's best friend" image good ol'
Oy eminates! Much as I love my cat in particular and cats in general, I
just can't picture anything cat-like saving my butt like Oy saved Jakes!

Denise :)

Carol Clements

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

On 3 Feb 1997 14:52:48 GMT, yvon...@aol.com wrote:

>A Womble—are those the giant rats? Where is Orinoco? Africa or South
>America? I am all a jumble right now. Anyway, I see Oy as those giant
>rat-things in South America (Patagonia? Hell, I don't know)

a-2-3-4

Underground overground Wombling free,
The Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we,
Making good use of the things that we find,
Things that the everyday folk leave behind...etc.

Scary the things you remember...

Um. No, I haven't gone insane, those are the words to the theme music
from a *very* old TV show which used to be screened in the UK for kids
(back when I *was* one - a kid I mean - so that shows how old it
was...sort of early '70s). There was an Uncle Bulgaria, and
Orinoco...and oh dear, that's all Nigel and I can remember between
us...um, Madame Cholay?...something like that. Anyway, they were
furry creatures with long snouts (they wore clothes) and they picked
up rubbish on Wimbledon common and lived as a family. I hated them.

I see Oy as a dog-like thing. Probably because I'm sort of
predisposed to dogs in general...

Carol.

Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King -
/ Else wherefore born? Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Carol Clements

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

On 3 Feb 1997 23:53:38 GMT, defp...@aol.com wrote:

>I don't know Carol -- I'm predisposed to cats and I picture Oy as a
>dog-like thing too. Perhaps it's the "man's best friend" image good ol'
>Oy eminates!

Yes. I don't think there is ever any "waste" in the characters in
King's books (now someone is bound to prove me wrong). I've been
wondering what role Oy will have to play in Wizard and Glass (amusing
concept, him pissing on Blaine and causing a short circuit, which
someone posted).

> Much as I love my cat in particular and cats in general, I
>just can't picture anything cat-like saving my butt like Oy saved Jakes!

You're right. They'd stick those dinky little noses in the air and
walk proudly away with a "look at the mess you got yourself in"
expression on their faces. And while you're being ripped apart by
some horrific fiend, they'd be calmly washing their paws.

Carol.
(who doesn't hate cats)

web-server-account

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

Mike Bowen (Mi...@husbowen.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: In article <19970203145...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

: yvon...@aol.com writes
: >Cheryl writes:
: >
: >>On the subject of Oy, no matter what description was given in the book,
: >>i can't help imagining him as sort of a small Womble. I'm thinking
: >>Orinoco here.
: >
: >A Womble—are those the giant rats? Where is Orinoco? Africa or South

: >America? I am all a jumble right now. Anyway, I see Oy as those giant
: >rat-things in South America (Patagonia? Hell, I don't know)

: Orinoco can be found wandering around Wimbledon Common, South London

: with Uncle Bulgaria and a few more relulgar Wombles. Whose names I
: cannot remember.

Orinoco is also a very familar name in Stephen-King-Land: Maine.

Cheryl

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

In article <32f6561...@news.demon.co.uk>, Carol Clements
<ca...@clems.demon.co.uk> writes

>Underground overground Wombling free,
>The Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we,
>Making good use of the things that we find,
>Things that the everyday folk leave behind...etc.

Thank you Carol, I'd forgotten this song. I used to love this show as a
kid, but could never remember the damn theme tune. I shall be singing
this for days.

(Wanders away whistling tunelessly...........)

Cheryl
Bob! You fool!.....Don't plug that thing in!

Anasazi

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

ca...@clems.demon.co.uk (Carol Clements) wrote:

>I see Oy as a dog-like thing. Probably because I'm sort of
>predisposed to dogs in general...

I've always pictured Oy as a facsimile of my Shih Tzu, Bandit. Long
hair, low to ground, longish body, bushy tail and an attitude. I'm
STILL waitin' for the damn dog to speak to me, though.

**Anasazi**

absk geek code: ST+++ DE+ TA++ DT1,2,3+++ P- R+++ OT++ F- N DK++ sk+++ ar+ C+++>+ I++>+++ GO++++ OR-- ot+++
**Don't unlock doors you're not prepared to go through......X
Stop yankin' my food chain......The Tick

Bob Heyl

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

Dani_K wrote:

> But Steve told us way back when that it would be Eddie, and I believe
> him. Lemme find the quote.
>
> From his first post to us (to read it in its entirety, see Jon Skeet's
> FAQ)....
>
> :Oh, I think I DO know how to prove I'm me. First, the next book is
> :called ROSE MADDER_June of 1995 from Viking. Second, it will be Eddie,
> :not Roland, who saves the party of travellers from Blaine the Mono.
>
> But I'd love to see Oy piss all over Blaine's brain stem. hehehehe
>
> Dani K.

Ahh.. But he says Eddie saves our friends from Blaine, not that he
*stumps* Blaine with a riddle. Just some food for thought...

~Bob H.

--
"Treat your friends as you do your picture, and place
them in their best light." ---Jennie Jerome Churchill (Winston's mom)

Alan Powers

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

Anasazi wrote:

>ca...@clems.demon.co.uk (Carol Clements) wrote:

>>I see Oy as a dog-like thing. Probably because I'm sort of
>>predisposed to dogs in general...

>I've always pictured Oy as a facsimile of my Shih Tzu, Bandit. Long
>hair, low to ground, longish body, bushy tail and an attitude. I'm
>STILL waitin' for the damn dog to speak to me, though.

When I think of Oy, I always conjure up a mental image of a large
'possum with a secondary education and designer contact lenses.
Something about SK's description of that mouth full of sharp little
teeth, I guess.

Al

*** Visualize whirled peas! ***

Jon Skeet

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

Carol Clements <ca...@clems.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> There was an Uncle Bulgaria, and Orinoco...and oh dear, that's all
> Nigel and I can remember between us...um, Madame Cholay?...something
> like that.

Tobermory was there, too... I've got a pillow-case with them on back
home... Oh drat it, I can't remember any of the others now.

> I hated them.

You hated the wombles? Is this possible? What about The Flumps and
whatever the one was with the Marvellous Mechanical Mouse Organ and
the scary owl... loved that one. Mr. Ben? Oh, the nostalgia...

Mind you, nostalgia's not what it used to be...

--
Jon Skeet
When 900 years old *you* reach, look as good *you* will not, hmm?

Jared Head

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

Jon Skeet (jl...@cam.ac.uk) wrote:

: > I hated them.

:
: You hated the wombles? Is this possible? What about The Flumps and
: whatever the one was with the Marvellous Mechanical Mouse Organ and
: the scary owl... loved that one. Mr. Ben? Oh, the nostalgia...

Hating the Wombles is surely the sign of an evil mind, however nice Carol
may appear to be. On the other hand mentioning the insipid Flumps in the
same sentence as Bagpuss is sinful, too!

If I had a pound for every nostalgic-childrens-TV threads I have seen in
USENET...

Jared

--
Jared Head at the Department of Biochemistry, University of Bristol

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human
history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."
Mitch Ratliffe

Laura Otto-Salaj

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

Boy, all - your description fits my own visualization almost perfectly.
Something like a 'possum (although a little larger, faster - a 'possum on
steroids?) - same body type, tail, face, although maybe the legs are a bit
longer. Also a hell of a lot smarter - witness all the possums that end
up as roadkill in my state...

Laura

***********************************
Sentient beings are numberless, we vow to save them all.
Delusions are endless, we vow to cut through them all.
The teachings are infinite, we vow to learn them all.
The Buddha way is inconceivable, we vow to attain it.
-The Four Great Vows

Zorina Wrenn

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97
to Laura Otto-Salaj

Aloha:

Is it just me, or does this sound like the ROUS's (rodents of unusual
size) from Princess Bride???

<snipped some stuff about OY>

Carol Clements wrote:

> > Something about SK's description of that mouth full of sharp little
> > teeth, I guess.
>
> Boy, all - your description fits my own visualization almost perfectly.
> Something like a 'possum (although a little larger, faster - a 'possum on
> steroids?)

Waiting patiently to start the DT series group read :)
Zorina

David Christensen

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

In article <Pine.ULT.3.90.97020...@post.its.mcw.edu>,
Laura Otto-Salaj <lott...@post.its.mcw.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Feb 1997, Alan Powers wrote:
> >
> > Anasazi wrote:

> > >I've always pictured Oy as a facsimile of my Shih Tzu, Bandit. Long
> > >hair, low to ground, longish body, bushy tail and an attitude. I'm
> > >STILL waitin' for the damn dog to speak to me, though.
> >
> > When I think of Oy, I always conjure up a mental image of a large
> > 'possum with a secondary education and designer contact lenses.

> > Something about SK's description of that mouth full of sharp little
> > teeth, I guess.
>
> Boy, all - your description fits my own visualization almost perfectly.
> Something like a 'possum (although a little larger, faster - a 'possum on

> steroids?) - same body type, tail, face, although maybe the legs are a bit
> longer. Also a hell of a lot smarter - witness all the possums that end
> up as roadkill in my state...

A possum seems too squat and not long enough. I see Oy as an ocelot, or a
lemur or something. Weasel-like.

David Christensen

Mike Harris

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

I think that the riddle "What has a head but never weeps..." could also
have 'a train' as an answer, and that Blaine only knows of the answer 'a
river'. That the riddle is a double and that Blaine does not know the
other answer is currently what Eddie is trying to figure out.

- Mike

Cheryl

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

>whatever the one was with the Marvellous Mechanical Mouse Organ and
>the scary owl... loved that one.

Jon, wasn't this Bagpuss, the one with all the narration at the
beginning which ended, ".....but Emily loved him!" ?
I don't remember much else, except that either the owl or a woodpecker
was a bookend.

Cheryl
Bob! You fool!.......Don't plug that thing in!

DG

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

From "the Waste Lands"
"Up ahead, a large creature that looked like a badger crossed with a
racoon ambled out of the woods."

Sorry, I have a hard time picturing a cat or dog from this decription.
^^^^^^^ ~~~~~~~~ Dan Gumm ~~~~~~~~ ^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^ http://www.plix.com/~users/dgumm ^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^ The Computer of Tomorrow is Here Today!!! ^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^ Http://www.mtsi.com/~jicklie/dgscreen.html ^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^ email ~ Mailto:dg...@plix.com ^^^^^^^

Bob Heyl

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

Alan Powers wrote:

> Anasazi wrote:
>
> >ca...@clems.demon.co.uk (Carol Clements) wrote:
>
> >>I see Oy as a dog-like thing. Probably because I'm sort of
> >>predisposed to dogs in general...
>
> >I've always pictured Oy as a facsimile of my Shih Tzu, Bandit. Long
> >hair, low to ground, longish body, bushy tail and an attitude. I'm
> >STILL waitin' for the damn dog to speak to me, though.
>
> When I think of Oy, I always conjure up a mental image of a large
> 'possum with a secondary education and designer contact lenses.
> Something about SK's description of that mouth full of sharp little
> teeth, I guess.
>
> Al
>
> *** Visualize whirled peas! ***

I've kinda pictured him as a possum or racoon kinda animal also, but I
have to start laughing when I visualize him spinning around trying to
chase them 'whirrling peas'!!

Alan Powers

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

Kathleen Wells spake thus:

>Love the idea of a 'possum with contacts, but they have those ratty
>tails! Because Oy is so loyal and affectionate, I kept wanting to
>visualize him as doglike, even though King says he looks like a cross
>between a raccoon and a badger. The image I finally came up with was
>a blend of raccoon and fox. Cute little raccoon face; canine body
>with bushy tail.

Good idea. Lose the badger . . . nasty, ill-tempered little varmints.
The Danny Devito of the animal kingdom.
The dog/fox body just isn't "cuddly" enough for me, though. I lean
towards the total raccoon image, just stretch that snout out a
little. When I was young, some friends of ours had a pet raccoon, and
they can be very playful and loyal. They can also be very agressive
when they feel threatened.

Carol Clements

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

On Thu, 06 Feb 1997 06:55:25 GMT,
Lucky...@postoffice.worldnet.att.net (Alan Powers) wrote:

>Good idea. Lose the badger . . . nasty, ill-tempered little varmints.

Yeah, you should see 'em fight! Wow! They have the entire *street*
up regularly. Shine a torch on 'em and they fight *harder*. Great
sport! (no, I don't mean it!).

>The Danny Devito of the animal kingdom.

LOL! Spot on!

>The dog/fox body just isn't "cuddly" enough for me, though. I lean
>towards the total raccoon image, just stretch that snout out a
>little. When I was young, some friends of ours had a pet raccoon, and
>they can be very playful and loyal. They can also be very agressive
>when they feel threatened.

You know, it doesn't matter how many times I see raccoon/badger, I
still think "dog". Too many Enid Blyton books...

Carol.

Carol Clements

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

On Wed, 5 Feb 1997 15:25:00 GMT, bi...@zeus.bris.ac.uk (Jared Head)
wrote:

>Hating the Wombles is surely the sign of an evil mind, however nice Carol
>may appear to be.

Kewl! I can do evil as well as nice (and you *know* I'm not nice all
the time!).

Practicing the evil witchy-poo face while I wait for my rubber-chicken
masks to arrive,

Carol Clements

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

On Wed, 05 Feb 1997 09:55:01 -1000, Zorina Wrenn <jtw...@aloha.net>
wrote:

>Aloha:
>
>Is it just me, or does this sound like the ROUS's (rodents of unusual
>size) from Princess Bride???

Deja vu! I've just finished reading that book! Yes! Except that Oy
isn't of an unusual size. Is he???

Carol Clements

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

On 5 Feb 1997 14:09:16 GMT, jl...@cam.ac.uk (Jon Skeet) wrote:

>Tobermory was there, too... I've got a pillow-case with them on back
>home... Oh drat it, I can't remember any of the others now.

I know... Nigel and I spent ages trying to remember the names.
Tobermory is a *wonderful* name and I can't believe I forgot it.

>You hated the wombles?

Yes. Sorry.

>Is this possible?

Yes. Sorry.

>What about The Flumps and

>whatever the one was with the Marvellous Mechanical Mouse Organ and

>the scary owl... loved that one. Mr. Ben? Oh, the nostalgia...

You're too young for nostalgia. I don't remember The Flumps. I think
they must have been "in between growing up and having kids"...that
vague period where kids' programmes have no meaning. I liked
the....um...the ones who did all the whistling, God now *I've*
forgotten! Something with a Soup Dragon in it...brilliant stuff, wish
I could remember it...oh, THE CLANGERS! That's it. I loved them.
They were just so silly.

>Mind you, nostalgia's not what it used to be...

<groan>
It's not what it's *going* to be if you carry on like that! : )

Randy Flood

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

DG wrote:

> From "the Waste Lands"
> "Up ahead, a large creature that looked like a badger crossed with a
> racoon ambled out of the woods."
>
> Sorry, I have a hard time picturing a cat or dog from this decription.
> --

Cool! Everyone was talking about dogs and cats and I kept picturing a
badger with gold rimmed eyes. Thank god that I'm not totally on drugs on
this one.

Randy
--
The truth can set you free,
Sometimes before you've found someplace else to stay.

Denise Panter

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

Lucky...@postoffice.worldnet.att.net (Alan Powers) wrote:

>Good idea. Lose the badger . . . nasty, ill-tempered little varmints.

>The Danny Devito of the animal kingdom.

>The dog/fox body just isn't "cuddly" enough for me, though. I lean
>towards the total raccoon image, just stretch that snout out a
>little. When I was young, some friends of ours had a pet raccoon, and
>they can be very playful and loyal. They can also be very agressive
>when they feel threatened.

Hey now!! I have to object --- Danny Devito is an extraordinarily wonderful
person -- one of the nicest folk you could ever hope to meet. So *he* himself
is not really the example you're looking for.....but I *could* accept some of
the characters he's portrayed.....say for instance.....Taxi's Louie diPalma
(sp?).....that character was without a doubt a nasty, ill-tempered lil'
varmint -- even his (few) tender or vulnerable moments were tainted with
self-indulgence and cunning!! A true low rung on the ladder kinda guy! <g>

Said my piece.

Denise :)

--

"Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"

Murielle L. Sey

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

Oy is a dog! He's like the little barker on the jetsens. A dog!
Will you people get over it... woof woof! Now roll over and I'll scratch
your tummy!

Hugs
Murielle

ROFLAH!

Keith

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97

Randy Flood <fl...@aps.anl.gov> wrote:
>DG wrote:
>>
>> From "the Waste Lands"
>> "Up ahead, a large creature that looked like a badger crossed with a
>> racoon ambled out of the woods."
>>
>> Sorry, I have a hard time picturing a cat or dog from this decription.
>> --
>
>Cool! Everyone was talking about dogs and cats and I kept picturing a
>badger with gold rimmed eyes. Thank god that I'm not totally on drugs on
>this one.

Ah, but wait. I also quote The Waste Lands, pg 221 of the trade paperback
"It looked like a combination racoon and woodchuck, with a little dash of
dachshund thrown in for good measure." That could be where people are
getting dog but I must admit I for some reason kept imagining it as an
anteater with a blue face(don't ask why)

--
Keith
K...@InternetMCI.com

Alan Powers

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97

dfpa...@hiwaay.net (Denise Panter) wrote:

>Hey now!! I have to object --- Danny Devito is an extraordinarily wonderful
>person -- one of the nicest folk you could ever hope to meet. So *he* himself
>is not really the example you're looking for.....but I *could* accept some of
>the characters he's portrayed.....say for instance.....Taxi's Louie diPalma
>(sp?).....that character was without a doubt a nasty, ill-tempered lil'
>varmint -- even his (few) tender or vulnerable moments were tainted with
>self-indulgence and cunning!! A true low rung on the ladder kinda guy! <g>

I stand corrected, and bow to your admonishment.
It was, of course, the many rat-fink, snake-in-the-grass, beady-eyed,
low-down, no good for nuttin' CHARACTERS of Danny Devito -- not the
Great Humanitarian (and All-Around-Nice-Guy) Danny Devito -- that I
was refering to. :-)

Jon R.

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97

Oy is not a dog. Then he would have been mentioned in the famous
Cujo-the key novel post.

Jon R.

Murielle L. Sey

Feb 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/8/97

Oy is *not* a Dog????? Sincerely???? Oh S@#t man! That really
blows! Are you like one hundred percent sure??? Awww! Gee! I really
like dogs. Can't I just *think* of him as a dog? Like, who could it
hurt, huh?

(sniff-sniff!)

Hugs
Murielle

Hey! Maybe he's a Teddy Bear! I really like Teddy Bears too!
Huh? Whaddya think? ;-)) Hey... He'd better not be a bunny... they
don't last long around here... ROFLAF!!!

;-))

Jon R.

Feb 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/9/97

Murielle L. Sey wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Feb 1997, Jon R. wrote:(SNIP)

> > Oy is not a dog. Then he would have been mentioned in the famous
> > Cujo-the key novel post.

> Oy is *not* a Dog????? Sincerely???? Oh S@#t man! That really

> blows! Are you like one hundred percent sure??? Awww! Gee! I really
> like dogs. Can't I just *think* of him as a dog? Like, who could it
> hurt, huh?

I'm sure Oy would'nt be offended by being granted doghood. However, you
might end up being interrogated by the CIA, FBI, IRS, DNA and JLA for
spreading such truth-bending propaganda. Please do not give away our
ABSK secret conspiracy for achieving world domination this easily!
(At least let them bribe you with a twinkie.)

> Hey! Maybe he's a Teddy Bear! I really like Teddy Bears too!
> Huh? Whaddya think? ;-)) Hey... He'd better not be a bunny... they
> don't last long around here...

And the Dark Tower Teddy is, as you probably know, still a hostage
until SK finishes the series. Sorry.

Jon R.

Angela Bruns

Feb 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/9/97
to Murielle L. Sey

Oy is a raccoon or some form of one.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Angela N. Bruns
abr...@sunbird.usd.edu
http://www.usd.edu/~abruns
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

On Sat, 8 Feb 1997, Murielle L. Sey wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Feb 1997, Jon R. wrote:
>

> > Murielle L. Sey wrote:
> > >
> > > Oy is a dog! He's like the little barker on the jetsens. A dog!
> > > Will you people get over it... woof woof! Now roll over and I'll scratch
> > > your tummy!
> > >
> > > Hugs
> > > Murielle
> > >
> > > ROFLAH!
> >

> > Oy is not a dog. Then he would have been mentioned in the famous
> > Cujo-the key novel post.
> >

> > Jon R.

> Oy is *not* a Dog????? Sincerely???? Oh S@#t man! That really
> blows! Are you like one hundred percent sure??? Awww! Gee! I really
> like dogs. Can't I just *think* of him as a dog? Like, who could it
> hurt, huh?
>

> (sniff-sniff!)
>
> Hugs
> Murielle

> Hey! Maybe he's a Teddy Bear! I really like Teddy Bears too!
> Huh? Whaddya think? ;-)) Hey... He'd better not be a bunny... they

> don't last long around here... ROFLAF!!!
>
> ;-))

Murielle L. Sey

Feb 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/11/97

On Sun, 9 Feb 1997, Jon R. wrote:

...kindly comforting my cries and moans at the news that Oy is, in
fact, not a dog (sniff, sniff), by telling me he was sure Oy wouldn't mind
my granting him doghood, but warning me that certain government agencies
might show an unwelcomed interest in my flights of fancy...

(Stopping me cold, I might add, at the thought that I could end up
being interrogated by that Master of Muddle-- Mulder himself... Oh NO!!!)

And admonishing me to:

> .......................................Please do not give away our

> ABSK secret conspiracy for achieving world domination this easily!
> (At least let them bribe you with a twinkie.)

I could be very brave in the face of a twinkie... it's those
little round chocolate covered cakes with the big daub of caramel in the
centre that would make me reveal all.

And when I suggested that if Oy couldn't be a dog, perhaps he
could be a Teddy Bear, Jon reminded me of the dreadful fate of...

> And the Dark Tower Teddy is, as you probably know, still a hostage
> until SK finishes the series. Sorry.
>
> Jon R.

Hugs
Murielle

Who is conjuring up images of racoons even as she writes and
singing... "Rocky Racoon, came into his room only to find Gidion's
Bible..." to prepare herself for the re-introduction to Oy when she
tackles the DT books again.

Dave Millard

Feb 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/12/97

On Thu, 06 Feb 1997 08:13:13 GMT, ca...@clems.demon.co.uk (Carol
Clements) wrote:

>Practicing the evil witchy-poo face while I wait for my rubber-chicken
>masks to arrive,

GIF?

Dave

--
If it's there and you can see it, it's real
If it's there and you can't see it, it's invisible

Kevin Loving

Mar 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/2/97

Mark Nesbitt <mnes...@tor.hookup.net> wrote:

>While re-reading the Dark Tower books I noticed that in Jakes poem "My
>Understanding of the Truth" he wrote two riddles. Susannah used one
>when riddling Blaine in the new novel but what about the other one?
>What is black and white and red all over? A blushing zebra. Can this
>be used to stump Blaine or has it already been used? I know it doesn't
>fit with the idea of the stumping riddle coming from Jakes book of
>riddles but I wanted to ask anyway.

>Mark

Okay, okay. I've been a lurker too long. Here's my thoughts::

No matter what the stumper is (I'll get to what I think it will be
later) the roof trapdoor must be used in their escape. He drew too
much attention to it in the glimpse we got. It has a purpose.
Nothing in King is brought up without a purpose.

The stumper will be: Something to do with PAIN. This agrees with what
a lot of yoiu are saying about human experience. Blaine doesn't
really know pain; he's a machine. This will echo back to "Blaine is a
pain," which has been referenced several times, including the hint
chapters. What the riddle will be: I don't know.

Little Blaine may play a role in sumping Big Blaine. He may not, but
he will be involved in the escape. Perhaps he tells our heros to take
the roof trapdoor, while Big Blaine is distracted...or something.
Little Blaine is a minor character that has huge potential. He is the
ego to Blaine's id.

Disclaimer: The above are only my educated guesses. I love King and
know his work. If in any way I'm correct, I'll pop a huge bottle of
champainge for us all..

Peace,

Kevin

Rudy Moore

Mar 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/3/97

Kevin Loving <ke...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> Mark Nesbitt <mnes...@tor.hookup.net> wrote:

> No matter what the stumper is (I'll get to what I think it will be
> later) the roof trapdoor must be used in their escape. He drew too
> much attention to it in the glimpse we got. It has a purpose.
> Nothing in King is brought up without a purpose.

I agree with the trapdoor. Once Blain is in Endword, his control of the
situation is limited to whats inside the mono. So if they can get out
of the mono (and away from it if it selfdestructs) then they should
be pretty safe. But they have to convince Blain to slow way down before
he gets there...

> The stumper will be: Something to do with PAIN. This agrees with what
> a lot of yoiu are saying about human experience. Blaine doesn't
> really know pain; he's a machine. This will echo back to "Blaine is a
> pain," which has been referenced several times, including the hint
> chapters. What the riddle will be: I don't know.

> Little Blaine may play a role in sumping Big Blaine. He may not, but
> he will be involved in the escape. Perhaps he tells our heros to take
> the roof trapdoor, while Big Blaine is distracted...or something.
> Little Blaine is a minor character that has huge potential. He is the
> ego to Blaine's id.

I can't help but think of Bilbo's question, "What's in my pocket?" I
rather suspect that it will be a riddle about little Blain...

Rudy