Tommyknockers rhyme (no spoilers) (was Re: Ollie, ollie, oxen free!)

SWhippman

Feb 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/28/99
In article <19990227223546...@ngol08.aol.com>, marth...@aol.com
(Marthapups) writes:

>In article <7ba2rk$lbs$1...@winter.news.rcn.net>, "Tim Moses"
><T.m...@erols.com@erols.com> writes:
>

>>Or, if you prefer: All ye, all ye, in come free...
>>(Or whatever your regional version is for the
>>"Come home, free" call of Hide 'n Seek)
>>

>I always thought it was "all-ie, all-ie, all in free, free, free..."
>
>Funny how kids change things...on the playgrounds now the song goes "..blue
>bells, _taco shells_, evie, ivy, over..."

Hmmm - since you raise the subject, been meaning to ask about this one. I
don't remember ever hearing the Tommyknockers rhyme (`Late last night & the
night before...') prior to reading the book. However, when I was at primary
school (London, England) we had a rhyme for a clapping game that started out
`Not last night but the night before/Seventy five robbers came knocking at my
door'.

The rest of the rhyme was totally different, but those two lines are so similar
I think it must have had the same origin as the Tommyknockers poem. I wondered
if anyone else had any other variations that sound like they have the same
origin?

(BTW, while I'm posting - thanks to everyone who answered my query a few weeks
back about the actor playing Stu in The Stand. Yes - it was indeed Forrest
Gump I saw him in as the leg-deprived lieutenant.)

Regards,

Sarah

`Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to
grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not manage to eff it after
all.'

Douglas Adams, `Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency'

Scott Leis

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99
On 28 Feb 1999 23:43:01 GMT, swhi...@aol.com (SWhippman) wrote:

>Hmmm - since you raise the subject, been meaning to ask about this one. I
>don't remember ever hearing the Tommyknockers rhyme (`Late last night & the
>night before...') prior to reading the book. However, when I was at primary
>school (London, England) we had a rhyme for a clapping game that started out
>`Not last night but the night before/Seventy five robbers came knocking at my
>door'.
>
>The rest of the rhyme was totally different, but those two lines are so similar
>I think it must have had the same origin as the Tommyknockers poem. I wondered
>if anyone else had any other variations that sound like they have the same
>origin?

I believe there was a thread about this several months ago. The
version my grandfather taught me (many years ago and before I'd heard
of Stephen King) went:

Not last night but the night before,
Two tom cats came knocking at the door
I went downstairs to let them in
They knocked me over with a rolling pin.

Shwade 2
--
There are some perfect people,
The rest are right handed.

Skattered

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99
I have a question about the book Insomnia.
It has been quite a while since I read it, but, at the end the hero saves
the little girl from being run over, thus saving her life. Was her balloon
not cut???

Robert Whelan

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99

Mine was from Ireland...

Last night, and the night before
Three mad cats came knocking on the door
I opened the door to let them in
And they ran upstairs like three mad men.

Skattered

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99

m...@here.com

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
Skattered <skat...@kwic.com> wrote:

: I have a question about the book Insomnia.

: It has been quite a while since I read it, but, at the end the hero saves
: the little girl from being run over, thus saving her life. Was her balloon
: not cut???

Presumably not, for she would have floated away if the balloon cable
had been cut.

SWhippman

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
In article <7bfdbv$a4v$1...@nntp2.uunet.ca>, "Skattered" <skat...@kwic.com>
writes:

>I have a question about the book Insomnia.
>It has been quite a while since I read it, but, at the end the hero saves
>the little girl from being run over, thus saving her life. Was her balloon
>not cut???

Good point! I hadn't thought of that one. When Rosalie was run over, Atropos
cut her balloon-string before it happened, when he took the bandanna for his
souvenir. I'd expect him to have done the same with Natalie, when he took the
baseball cap (which he already had when Ralph saw him that day).

OTOH, from what Ralph said, the decision to allow Ralph to trade his life for
Natalie's was made somewhere near the top of the Tower, perhaps at the very
top, so maybe the being that made it had enough power to actually mend her
balloon-string once it had been cut, suspending the normal laws. That's the
only explanation I can think of. Hmmm - I suspect Stephen King either forgot
about that inconsistency or wanted to gloss it over!

Kendra

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99
When I was in grade school, we had a jump rope song that was similar:

Not last night but the night before

24 robbers came knocking at my door.
As I ran out........they ran in.... (person jumping leaves & next person
jumps in)
Knocked 'em on the head with a rolling pin,
How many robbers made it in?
1,2,3,4....... (count until miss or reach 24, start over)

Kendra

Jean Graham

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99
Kendra wrote:

> When I was in grade school, we had a jump rope song that was
> similar:
>
> Not last night but the night before
> 24 robbers came knocking at my door.
> As I ran out........they ran in.... (person jumping leaves &
> next person
> jumps in)
> Knocked 'em on the head with a rolling pin,
> How many robbers made it in?
> 1,2,3,4....... (count until miss or reach 24, start over)

Ours was:
Not last night, but the night before24 hours came knocking at my
door
They came in and
I went out and
This is what I heard them shout ..
1, 2, 3, 4, (count until miss)

(Although I could have forgotten something between "shout" and
the numbers ... it is from my childhood, after all...)

Jean

DavidEvan

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99

I'm currently re-reading Tommyknockers, but all this got me to remembering
(and don't asks me how a guy remembers a jump rope rhyme; guess from a lot of
time spent being a rope-turner for others-although I *do* remember
participating occasionaly:) . In grade school I chanted and to this day still
remember every word:
Down by the ocean
Down by the sea
Johnny broke a bottle and blamed it on me.
I told ma, ma told pa
How many lickin's did Johnny receive...
Was this a real popular one? Would it have been often "used" and that's why
I remember it?
David
Who would break his neck if he ever tried jumping a rope these days!

Kendra

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
:::going back into the very murky mists of time:::
I remember that rhyme -- it was popular, at least at our school (and I am
just noticing the popularity of the slightly violent jumping rhymes at our
school --- not really wanting to analyze that too closely!)

Kendra

Covenant

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
Okay... you want weird...
Here's weird....

The *TommyKnockers* ryhme over here (Or at least in Dundee) went like
this...

Not last night, but the night before,
Three Tom-Cats came knocking at my door.
One had a stick,
One had a drum,
The other had a pancake sticking to his bum....

What did it mean ??

Beats the shit out of me! (Reference??)

Covenant.
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

DavidEvan wrote in message <19990304011531...@ng-cf1.aol.com>...

>>> When I was in grade school, we had a jump rope song that was
>>> similar:
>>>
>>> Not last night but the night before
>>> 24 robbers came knocking at my door.
>>> As I ran out........they ran in.... (person jumping leaves &
>>> next person
>>> jumps in)
>>> Knocked 'em on the head with a rolling pin,
>>> How many robbers made it in?
>>> 1,2,3,4....... (count until miss or reach 24, start over)
>>
>>Ours was:
>>Not last night, but the night before24 hours came knocking at my
>>door
>>They came in and
>>I went out and
>>This is what I heard them shout ..
>>1, 2, 3, 4, (count until miss)
>>
>>(Although I could have forgotten something between "shout" and
>>the numbers ... it is from my childhood, after all...)
>>
>>Jean

Vicki

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99

>time spent being a rope-turner for others-although I *do* remember
>participating occasionaly:) . In grade school I chanted and to this day
still
>remember every word:
>Down by the ocean
>Down by the sea
>Johnny broke a bottle and blamed it on me.
>I told ma, ma told pa
>How many lickin's did Johnny receive...
> Was this a real popular one? Would it have been often "used" and that's
why
>I remember it?
> David
>Who would break his neck if he ever tried jumping a rope these days!

I can't remember the one I jumped to.
I do remember loving to play dodge ball and marbles.
Course you know how you collect and save them. ;-).

Baseball ruled when I was a kid, cause that was the only thing in the
housing area that I lived...was an empty lot behind my house that belong to
the county and they would get it cut.
And we had dirt bases. And That was the most enjoyable part of my childhood
is the days and days and days, the summers spent playing baseball.
We would have games going that drew the dads and moms sometimes to watch.
So, of course I was very good. being a tomboy.
I was in 5th or 6th grade and can remember being SO PROUD that the BIG high
school boys LET ME PLAY. I played first and they used to burn that ball and
it would sting so bad...yet,every time I was so proud that I seldom missed
unless it went over my head...you know those wild throws...a couple times
they let me pitch till a line drive knocked me off my feet, as we played
hardball and it was squarely on the shin...I had to sit the rest of the game
out...but I felt will important as a couple of the high schoolers came
running up to pick me up off the ground...I developed a crush that day.
HAHAHAHA. ;-).
For some reason they seemed so much bigger than high school kids today. Or
maybe it was cause I was a kid, I don't know.

course we had football games to...not as often tho. The season would hit
then some, but for the most part...baseball is what we grew up on.

See house of course surround the field shaped like a football field
really...with four houses on each corner and then a street run at each north
and south end.
A state trooper lived across the street and I recall once this kid hit
one that flew out of the park and into his patrol car windshield...I will
never forget how everyone just scatter and flew running in all
directions...I remember hitting the ground, watching kids running this way
and that heading for home. then I decide hey...this is not a good place...up
I jumped and ran...

I had fun as a kid...I think I was lucky in that regard....

Vicki

LDLac

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
I jumped to this one:

Mother, mother, I feel ill
Call the doctor over the hill.
In walked the doctor
In walked the nurse
In walked the lady with the alligator purse.
Doctor, doctor, will I die?
Yes young lady but don't you cry.
Out walked the doctor
Out walked the nurse
Out walked the lady with the alligator purse.

Kinda depressing for a kid to jump to :)

Linda
Kendra wrote in message <7bld8h$r...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

>:::going back into the very murky mists of time:::
>I remember that rhyme -- it was popular, at least at our school (and I am
>just noticing the popularity of the slightly violent jumping rhymes at our
>school --- not really wanting to analyze that too closely!)
>
>Kendra
>

>DavidEvan wrote in message
<19990304011531...@ng-cf1.aol.com>...

>>I'm currently re-reading Tommyknockers, but all this got me to remembering
>>(and don't asks me how a guy remembers a jump rope rhyme; guess from a
lot
>of

TRENA1

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
>Rock-a-bye baby in the tree tops
>When the wind blows the cradle will rock
>When the bough breaks the cradle will fall
>*and mom will catch baby cradle and all*

Hey Bonnie! Further proof that great minds think alike. I did the same thing,
only finished with "Baby falls safely, cradle and all".

And what about those fairy tales . . . could anything be more gruesome to a 4
year old than hearing about a wolf that ate grandma, or how bout that story
(can't remember which one) where the wolf eats the goat, and then the mother
goat cuts his stomach open and fills it with rocks? Yuck!

Trena

" . . . I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked."Oh, you can't
help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad." "How do
you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't
have come here."

maiko covington

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
One of the jump rope rhymes I remember went like this:

Cinderella, dressed in yella
Went downstairs to kiss a fella
Made a mistake and kissed a snake!
How many doctors did it take?
1, 2, 3, 4...

Maiko Covington

Joe B. Rixman

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
INSOMNIA is the one and only book that has made me spontaneously erupt in
crying afer reading it.
What was THAT about?????

Tim Moses

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99

Mike & Bonnie McDonald wrote in message <7bmcn1$eb3$1...@ins8.netins.net>...

>Another point, have you ever noticed how most children
> (animal or human) in Disney movies have missing parents (one is
>almost always dead if not both)?

You might find this amusing:
My sister was trying to answer my niece's question about why
our father's wife is not our mother....My sister's answer was (of
course) that she is our STEP-mother....Well, my niece's eyes
got VERY big & my sister KNEW she was in trouble! "Your
Step-mother?! Did she lock you up?" My sister had a really
hard time explaining, considering how hard she was laughing......

Thanks, Disney!

KAH
("Bountiful")

Marthapups

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
In article <7bld8h$r...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>, "Kendra" <Kend...@att.net>
writes:

>:::going back into the very murky mists of time:::
>I remember that rhyme -- it was popular, at least at our school (and I am
>just noticing the popularity of the slightly violent jumping rhymes at our
>school --- not really wanting to analyze that too closely!)
>
>Kendra

I went to school with a "Kendra":) Not too many of you around. Anyway, how
about that little ditty called "Ring Around the Rosies"? The Bubonic Plague no
less!

Tina
Oh, btw when I was a child I thought it was "Blue Bonnet Plague":)

Kendra

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
*LOL* We recited the original version to our niece & then we heard her later
repeating it with her own variation (ruined the rhyme, improved the
sentiment):

Rock-a-bye baby in the treetops
.........snip of middle......
Down will come baby cradle & all
........into mommy's arms (her addition, no coaching --- I think this bodes
well for the kid *G*).

Kendra

Mike & Bonnie McDonald wrote in message <7bmbak$b7n$1...@ins8.netins.net>...
>It's been my experience that a lot of children's songs, along with
>a lot of nursery rhymes and fairy tales, are pretty gruesome.
>I can remember singing to my kids:

>Rock-a-bye baby in the tree tops
>When the wind blows the cradle will rock
>When the bough breaks the cradle will fall
>*and mom will catch baby cradle and all*
>

>I hated the real version and now my kids sing it this way
>because they think it's how it goes.
>
>Bonnie
>
>LDLac wrote in message <36de...@news1.us.ibm.net>...

>>I jumped to this one:
>>
>>Mother, mother, I feel ill
>>Call the doctor over the hill.
>>In walked the doctor
>>In walked the nurse
>>In walked the lady with the alligator purse.
>>Doctor, doctor, will I die?
>>Yes young lady but don't you cry.
>>Out walked the doctor
>>Out walked the nurse
>>Out walked the lady with the alligator purse.
>>
>>Kinda depressing for a kid to jump to :)
>>
>>Linda
>>Kendra wrote in message <7bld8h$r...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

>>>:::going back into the very murky mists of time:::
>>>I remember that rhyme -- it was popular, at least at our school (and I am
>>>just noticing the popularity of the slightly violent jumping rhymes at
our
>>>school --- not really wanting to analyze that too closely!)
>>>
>>>Kendra

Kendra

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
I don't know....sometimes kids are into gruesome or it doesn't really sink
in (or maybe I was just an insensitive, bloodthirsty kid?! *G*). That
mother goat & wolf story (Aesop fable I think) was one of my favorites ---
mostly because the kids got rescued OK & I thought the trickery was clever
at the time). Also I loved the 'true version' of Grimm's Cinderella -- I
was all for "just desserts according to kids" & really disappointed at the
sappy Disney version. Of course there is always "Politically Correct
Bedtime Stories - vols 1 &2" if you want tame & unoffensive.

The only story I remember really scaring me was the Yugoslavian stories
about Baba Yaga (sp?) -- the witch who lived in a house built on chicken
legs that could chase you down (yeah I know sounds stupid but you hadda BE
there!).

Kendra

TRENA1 wrote in message <19990304112357...@ng18.aol.com>...

>>Rock-a-bye baby in the tree tops
>>When the wind blows the cradle will rock
>>When the bough breaks the cradle will fall
>>*and mom will catch baby cradle and all*

TRENA1

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
writes:

>INSOMNIA is the one and only book that has made me spontaneously erupt in
>crying afer reading it.
>What was THAT about?????

Well, according to some, I guess it could have been tears of relief for having
teh tenacity to finish the book.

I cried too. It was a very emotional book to read IMHO. When he died, it was
crushing for me, after all he went through, ya know?

TRENA1

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
Bonnie wrote: >Another point, have you ever noticed how most children

> (animal or human) in Disney movies have missing parents (one is
>almost always dead if not both)?

Yeah, what's up with that? Maybe we can relate the downfall of the family
unit to the increasing popularity of Disney movies . . .hmmmm.

LDLac

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
In the true version of Cinderella one of the step-sisters cut off her own
heel to try to get her foot into the glass slipper! That freaked me out, I
could just imagine that slipper full of blood.
Linda

LDLac

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
Oh, I jumped to that one too! I had totally forgotten about it!
Linda

LDLac

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
Nah, it's just a cheap way to pull on the ol' heartstrings.
Linda
TRENA1 wrote in message <19990304174628...@ng155.aol.com>...

>Bonnie wrote: >Another point, have you ever noticed how most children
>> (animal or human) in Disney movies have missing parents (one is
>>almost always dead if not both)?
>>

>Yeah, what's up with that? Maybe we can relate the downfall of the
family
>unit to the increasing popularity of Disney movies . . .hmmmm.

maiko covington

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
"LDLac" <ld...@ibm.net> writes:

>In the true version of Cinderella one of the step-sisters cut off her own
>heel to try to get her foot into the glass slipper! That freaked me out, I
>could just imagine that slipper full of blood.

Yep. The "glass slipper" is also the result of a mistranslation
from the original French. The original slippers were made of fur, but
once it was translated to glass, glass is just THAT much more creepy
(shows the blood quite well too I'd bet!) so it stuck around.

You can quick synopses of the original stories, as well as
pointers to more detailed information, in "The Extraordinary Origins
of Everyday Things" by Charles Panati.

Maiko Covington

Scott Leis

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
On 4 Mar 1999 18:46:21 GMT, mcov...@staff.uiuc.edu (maiko covington)
wrote:

>One of the jump rope rhymes I remember went like this:
>
> Cinderella, dressed in yella
> Went downstairs to kiss a fella
> Made a mistake and kissed a snake!
> How many doctors did it take?
> 1, 2, 3, 4...

I have a vague memory of a jumping rhyme with the same first line, but
the rest was totally different... there was something about busting
her britches, IIRC.

Shwade 2
--
There are some perfect people,
The rest are right handed.
- a sticker on someone's fridge

LDLac

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
Thanks for the tip on the book. It sounds really interesting.
Linda

Jean Graham

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
DavidEvan wrote:

> I'm currently re-reading Tommyknockers,

Sssurrre you are, David. You just threw this in to avoid the
inevitable OT accusations, right? <g>

> but all this got me to remembering
> (and don't asks me how a guy remembers a jump rope rhyme;
> guess from a lot of
> time spent being a rope-turner for others-although I *do*
> remember
> participating occasionaly:) . In grade school I chanted and to
> this day still
> remember every word:
> Down by the ocean
> Down by the sea
> Johnny broke a bottle and blamed it on me.
> I told ma, ma told pa
> How many lickin's did Johnny receive...

Yikes! This is gruesome.

> Was this a real popular one? Would it have been often
> "used" and that's why
> I remember it?

Um. I'm frantically searching the brain cells but don't remember
anything about broken glass and battered children from our
skipping songs. The closest I can come is "Sea shells, cockle
shells ..."

Still, I'm a continent away from you.Jean,
Who always thought the West Coast was somewhat -- er -- mellower

Vicki

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99

Joe B. Rixman wrote in message <36dee...@news.cwsl.edu>...

>INSOMNIA is the one and only book that has made me spontaneously erupt in
>crying afer reading it.
>What was THAT about?????

Why was that? A sad ending?

Vicki

LDLac

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
What a laugh! Thanks, I needed it. The ants are blowin' in the wind!
Priceless.
:)
Linda
DavidEvan wrote in message <19990304212718...@ng-ca1.aol.com>...

>>Tina
>>Oh, btw when I was a child I thought it was "Blue Bonnet Plague":)
>
>LOL...kinda makes the margarine's theme song of "everything tastes better
with
>Blue Bonnet on it" take on a WHOLE new meaning doesnt it?:)
> David
>Who muct admit I always thought "The ants are my friends; theyre blowin' in
the
>wind...."

LDLac

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
Vicki, read the book! It'll take some time and you may not want to stick
with it but please do.
Linda

DavidEvan

Mar 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/5/99

SWhippman

Mar 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/5/99
In article <36dee...@news.cwsl.edu>, "Joe B. Rixman" <j...@cwsl.edu> writes:

>INSOMNIA is the one and only book that has made me spontaneously erupt in
>crying afer reading it.
>What was THAT about?????

I had to wipe tears from my own eyes after the final scene!

Regards,

Sarah

`Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to
grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not manage to eff it after
all.'

Douglas Adams, `Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency'

Tim Moses

Mar 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/5/99

DavidEvan wrote in message <19990304212718...@ng-ca1.aol.com>...

>Who muct admit I always thought "The ants are my friends; theyre blowin' in
the
>wind...."

Oh, I love it!

As long as we're in the Lyrics Confessional, here....
I thought there were TWO creatures in the song "Puff, the Magic Dragon."
One, of course, was Puff. The other was Frolikken, the Autamus...something
along the lines of a HippopotAMUS, I guess....Don't you remember that part?

"....Puff, the Magic Dragon, lived by the sea,
And Frolikken, the Autamus,
in a land called Honilea...."

KAH
("Bountiful")

SWhippman

Mar 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/5/99
In article <19990304212718...@ng-ca1.aol.com>, davi...@aol.com
(DavidEvan) writes:

>>Tina
>>Oh, btw when I was a child I thought it was "Blue Bonnet Plague":)
>
>LOL...kinda makes the margarine's theme song of "everything tastes better
>with
>Blue Bonnet on it" take on a WHOLE new meaning doesnt it?:)
> David

>Who muct admit I always thought "The ants are my friends; theyre blowin' in
>the
>wind...."

A friend of mine once got `Apollo dyes her hair' for the lyrics of `She loves
you' - for anyone who doesn't know, it's actually `Apologize to her'! Now,
when I hear that song on the radio, I always sing `Apollo dyes her hair' for
that line...

Anyone else got any amusing mix-ups like that? I believe there is actually a
word for mishearing song lyrics like that, and I know there was once a slot on
the local radio in Liverpool, where I used to live, where people could ring in
with what they _thought_ the lyrics of particular songs were! I'm going to
have to have a think and see if I can remember any amusing ones I've come up
with in the past...

maiko covington

Mar 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/5/99
sj_...@postoffice.utas.edu.au (Scott Leis) writes:

>> Cinderella, dressed in yella
>> Went downstairs to kiss a fella
>> Made a mistake and kissed a snake!
>> How many doctors did it take?
>> 1, 2, 3, 4...

>I have a vague memory of a jumping rhyme with the same first line, but
>the rest was totally different... there was something about busting
>her britches, IIRC.

I remember that there were different colored verses to it, with
"Cinderella, dressed in red..." etc. However, I don't remember the others
offhand. I KNOW there are many, many books dealing with children's games
and folklore though, so now I'll have to look some of them up!

Maiko Covington (who is currently rereading "The Stand")

maiko covington

Mar 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/5/99
swhi...@aol.com (SWhippman) writes:

>Anyone else got any amusing mix-ups like that? I believe there is actually a
>word for mishearing song lyrics like that, and I know there was once a slot on
>the local radio in Liverpool, where I used to live, where people could ring in
>with what they _thought_ the lyrics of particular songs were! I'm going to
>have to have a think and see if I can remember any amusing ones I've come up
>with in the past...

The word is "Mondegreen." You can read some amusing ones on
Jon Carroll's site, at the San Francisco Chronicle:

http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/carroll/mondegreens.shtml

There is also a book about these out (at least one!) called "Excuse Me
While I Kiss This Guy." Searching for "Mondegreen" on the web should bring
up some amusing pages too.

Only TANGENTIALLY related to this newsgroup, as a kid I had a rather
morbid imagination (rather liking to sit around wondering what it would be
like to be sentenced to death, and that sort of thing) and I'd hear
delightfully tasteless and disturbing lyrics in songs, only to find out
later that the real lyrics were far less interesting.

Maiko Covington (currently rereading "The Stand")

Dollfin330

Mar 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/5/99
>Anyone else got any amusing mix-ups like that? I believe there is actually a
>word for mishearing song lyrics like that,

Two very old disco songs come to mind.

*I wanna kiss you all over *.... I thought was
I wanna kiss your lawn mower.

* I want to thank you Heavenly Father*
I thought was ... I want to thank you Henry Fonda.

And in the ever famous... *We are the Champions* by Queen...

.... "We are the champions... No time for loosers....cuz we are the
champions..."

I thought it was.... We are the champions....
LaLa Paloozas... cuz we are the champions.

<stop laughing>

^^^Eva^^^

Confucius say...
Squirrel who runs up woman's leg not find nuts.

LDLac

Mar 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/5/99
If they did that must not have bothered me as a child...weird, huh? Funny
what gives you nightmares and what doesn't!
:)
Linda
Mike & Bonnie McDonald wrote in message <7bp485$5r0$1...@ins8.netins.net>...

>LDLac wrote in message <36df...@news1.us.ibm.net>...

>>In the true version of Cinderella one of the step-sisters cut off her own
>>heel to try to get her foot into the glass slipper! That freaked me out,
>>could just imagine that slipper full of blood.
>>Linda
>

>Didn't they torture the stepmother and stepsisters also?
>
>Bonnie

The Chanteuse

Mar 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/5/99

SWhippman wrote in message <19990305101242...@ngol06.aol.com>...
<snip>

>Anyone else got any amusing mix-ups like that? I believe there is actually

>word for mishearing song lyrics like that, and I know there was once a slot
on
>the local radio in Liverpool, where I used to live, where people could ring
in
>with what they _thought_ the lyrics of particular songs were! I'm going to
>have to have a think and see if I can remember any amusing ones I've come
up
>with in the past...
>

>Regards,
>
>Sarah

I think the word you're looking for is "mondegreens" From a (famous? I
guess it must be) mishearing of the song The Earl of Moray. The line "And
lain' him on the green" was misheard as "And Lady Mondegreen" If you want
funny lyric mishearings, you should check out this website:
http://www.kissthisguy.com It's an archive of Misheard Lyrics. It's name
comes from the famous (?) mishearing/mis-saying of the Hendrix lyric "'Scuse
me while I kiss the sky" as "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy"

Now that I look longwinded...

---The Chanteuse, who's family tradition of Mondegreens includes "There's a
bathroom on the right" (to CCR's lyric: "There's a Bad Moon on the Rise")
And "A hesitant fry spider" for "a hesitant prize fighter" in Dan Hill's
Sometimes When We Touch.

Marthapups

Mar 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/5/99
In article <19990305065947...@ngol02.aol.com>, swhi...@aol.com
(SWhippman) writes:

>>INSOMNIA is the one and only book that has made me spontaneously erupt in
>>crying afer reading it.
>>What was THAT about?????
>>

>I had to wipe tears from my own eyes after the final scene!
>
>Regards,
>
>Sarah

That book did my heart good. Spawned my favorite quote about love and it's
power..."Right now I am so in love with you that I feel as if I'm drowning, and
the dying is fine".

Tina

Tim Moses

Mar 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/5/99

maiko covington wrote in message <7bp057$o41$1...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>...

> The word is "Mondegreen." You can read some amusing ones on
>Jon Carroll's site, at the San Francisco Chronicle:
>
> http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/carroll/mondegreens.shtml

Oh, thank you! Although, it's hard to read all the entries, what with
these tears in my eyes.....funny, funny stuff....

I remember reading an article by someone confessing to this...
She was fondly recalling a favorite word of hers: Dauncerly...
A magical kind of word....She got it from the "Star-Spangled
Banner"

Oh, say can you see?
By the Dauncerly light.....

Kind of like the light just as the sun peeps through the clouds....
Unfortunately, she shared this favorite word with her older sister,
who shattered her favorite word to bits....

KAH
("That word you keep using: I do not think it means what you
think it means.")

Covenant

Mar 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/5/99
There is actually a site about this...

I THINK it's.........

www.kissthisguy.com

I HOPE so or else I'll look real silly........
(Oksay... SilliER!)

Covenant.
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

maiko covington wrote in message <7bp057$o41$1...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>...

>swhi...@aol.com (SWhippman) writes:
>
>>Anyone else got any amusing mix-ups like that? I believe there is
actually a
>>word for mishearing song lyrics like that, and I know there was once a
slot on
>>the local radio in Liverpool, where I used to live, where people could
ring in
>>with what they _thought_ the lyrics of particular songs were! I'm going
>>have to have a think and see if I can remember any amusing ones I've come
up
>>with in the past...
>

> The word is "Mondegreen." You can read some amusing ones on
>Jon Carroll's site, at the San Francisco Chronicle:
>
> http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/carroll/mondegreens.shtml

lisa

Mar 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/5/99
SWhippman wrote:

> In article <19990304212718...@ng-ca1.aol.com>, davi...@aol.com
> (DavidEvan) writes:
>
> >>Tina
> >>Oh, btw when I was a child I thought it was "Blue Bonnet Plague":)
> >
> >LOL...kinda makes the margarine's theme song of "everything tastes better
> >with
> >Blue Bonnet on it" take on a WHOLE new meaning doesnt it?:)
> > David
> >Who muct admit I always thought "The ants are my friends; theyre blowin' in
> >the
> >wind...."
>
> A friend of mine once got `Apollo dyes her hair' for the lyrics of `She loves
> you' - for anyone who doesn't know, it's actually `Apologize to her'! Now,
> when I hear that song on the radio, I always sing `Apollo dyes her hair' for
> that line...
>
> Anyone else got any amusing mix-ups like that? I believe there is actually a
> word for mishearing song lyrics like that, and I know there was once a slot on
> the local radio in Liverpool, where I used to live, where people could ring in
> with what they _thought_ the lyrics of particular songs were! I'm going to
> have to have a think and see if I can remember any amusing ones I've come up
> with in the past...
>
> Regards,
>
> Sarah
>
> `Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to
> grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not manage to eff it after
> all.'
>
> Douglas Adams, `Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency'

even though I'm embarrassed to admit it... Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to
Heaven" still poses a lot of lyric problems for me! But the major line
I messed up should say "don't be alarmed now...." and I thought it was
"don't be a law man"... sang it that way for years...until someone
kindly corrected me in the middle of my bursting out in song. But
that's nothing new...I constantly mess up lyrics.

and someone please help me here... is it "I can feel it coming in the
air tonight...hold on.." or is it "I can feel it coming in the air
tonight....oh Lord..."?

lisa :)

TRENA1

Mar 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/5/99
ROLF - I'll never be able to listen to either of those songs in the same way
again!

Trena
Whose hubby is quite prolific at turning the most innocent love songs into
pute, utter garbage

Jeff & Traci De

Mar 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/5/99
Tim Moses wrote:

> maiko covington wrote in message <7bp057$o41$1...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>...
> > The word is "Mondegreen." You can read some amusing ones on
> >Jon Carroll's site, at the San Francisco Chronicle:
> >
> > http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/carroll/mondegreens.shtml
>
> Oh, thank you! Although, it's hard to read all the entries, what with
> these tears in my eyes.....funny, funny stuff....
>
> I remember reading an article by someone confessing to this...
> She was fondly recalling a favorite word of hers: Dauncerly...
> A magical kind of word....She got it from the "Star-Spangled
> Banner"
>
> Oh, say can you see?
> By the Dauncerly light.....
>
> Kind of like the light just as the sun peeps through the clouds....
> Unfortunately, she shared this favorite word with her older sister,
> who shattered her favorite word to bits....

Ramona! Ramona the Pest, whose dolly is named Chevrolet, begins
kindergarten. First day, teacher says "You sit here for the present." So she
won't move until she gets a present. Then they learn the Star Spangled
Banner.... I haven't read that book in years!

Traci

--
If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight reign on his
tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. James 1:26

ADWatts

Mar 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/5/99
SWhippman asks:

>Anyone else got any amusing mix-ups like that?

<Some major snipping on my part.>

Not sure how amusing this is, and it isn't from a popular song,
but I messed up the lyrics *really* bad in Pink Floyd's "The Hero's
Return" (The Final Cut). Usually, I was pretty good at picking up
their lyrics even though I'm from the States (watched too much
British TV on PBS, I guess), but this particular song gave me a
headache. Giving up on the first verse entirely, I had always thought
I at least had the gist of the first two lines in the 2nd verse:

"And even their (?) flags
Encrusted with angels would fight"

(The album is about war, in part.)

But having recently purchased the CD with liner notes, these are
the real lines:

"And even now part of me flies over
Dresden at angles one five"

Now, is that bad, or is that *bad*.
<Sheepishly hanging his head>

BTW, the only part of the first two verses I ever had right was the
last bit of it --

". . . behind my
Sarcasm desperate memories lie"

Hopefully not wasting your time . . .

ADWatts

LDLac

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
WooHoo! None of that made Disney did it?
:)
Linda
Kendra wrote in message <7bqdre$g...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...
>Well I don't know how this reflects on me but I remember quite well the
>'gooshy' stuff in that story. One sister cuts off her heel to make the
shoe
>fit & the other sister cuts off her big toe. Then at the end, after the
>wedding, as the carriage leaves, crows come down & peck out the
stepmother's
>& sister's eyes. Yep, pretty gory stuff.
>
>Kendra

Ivy Lee

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
On 6 Mar 1999 05:18:38 GMT, "Kendra" <Kend...@att.net> wrote:

>Well I don't know how this reflects on me but I remember quite well the
>'gooshy' stuff in that story. One sister cuts off her heel to make the shoe
>fit & the other sister cuts off her big toe. Then at the end, after the
>wedding, as the carriage leaves, crows come down & peck out the stepmother's
>& sister's eyes. Yep, pretty gory stuff.

Yep, fairy tales can be horrid--one of my favorites as a child was "The Goose
Girl," which has a similar gooshy ending (as I recall, the villainess was
stripped naked and dragged through the streets in a barrel studded with nails).
It's a wonder we aren't warped by these things, really.

I mean more than we already are. :)

Ivy

Jennifer Hardy

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
Kendra <Kend...@att.net> wrote in article
<7bqdrf$g...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

> >>Anyone else got any amusing mix-ups like that? I believe there is
> actually a
> >>word for mishearing song lyrics like that,
> >
> In the Paul McCartney song "Band on the run", I always heard "Fan on the
> rug......."
> (I knew it wasn't right but :::shrug:::, if I garbled it enough, no one
> could tell I messed up).
>
> Kendra

I have a friend who always thought John Denver was singing "Calling Rocko,
Rocky mountain high".

Her husband thought that when Stevie wonder sang "My Papa disapproved it,
my Mama boo-hooed it" he was actually saying "My Papa disapproved it, my
Mama blew a hoolie". Of course, when we asked what "blowing a hoolie"
meant, he had no answer.

I reiterate, my *friends* thought the above. Not me. No way.

Cheers,

Jennifer
-----
"Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?"
Stephem Wright

Kendra

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
I remember that story -- I liked the fact that the villainess got the
punishment she specified (her transgressions were told to her in a disguised
fashion & then she was asked what she would do to the person). *LOL* That
ought to teach a person to be a bit more compassionate if asked 'how'
someone should be punished ---> ask not for whom the hangman waits, it
waits for thee.

Warped? Is that a bad thing?

Kendra

Covenant

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
Just remember...
Grimms fairy Tales were called that for a reason........

(But did they take the name Grimm from Grim... Or did Grim get it's meaning
from Grimm?????)

Hmmmmmmm?????

Covenant.
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Kendra wrote in message <7bqdre$g...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

>Well I don't know how this reflects on me but I remember quite well the
>'gooshy' stuff in that story. One sister cuts off her heel to make the
shoe
>fit & the other sister cuts off her big toe. Then at the end, after the
>wedding, as the carriage leaves, crows come down & peck out the
stepmother's
>& sister's eyes. Yep, pretty gory stuff.

Covenant

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99

lisa wrote in message <36E05B...@usa.net>...

>and someone please help me here... is it "I can feel it coming in the
>air tonight...hold on.." or is it "I can feel it coming in the air
>tonight....oh Lord..."?

It's Oh Lord.....
(Even without the Lyric, all you have to do is know Phil Collins' singing
style to know he punctuates songs with "OOhh"'s "IIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiii"'s and
"Oh Lords" All the time.....)

(There was quite a headet debate about thgis very point (his punctuation) on
alt.music.genesis not too long ago.)

Covenant.
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands Oh Lord..........

Tim Moses

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99

Ivy Lee wrote in message <36e4e04b...@nntp.infoave.net>...

>Yep, fairy tales can be horrid--one of my favorites as a child was "The
Goose
>Girl," which has a similar gooshy ending (as I recall, the villainess was
>stripped naked and dragged through the streets in a barrel studded with
nails).
>It's a wonder we aren't warped by these things, really.
>
>I mean more than we already are. :)

Kind of helps to explain how we all ended up HERE, on absk, doesn't it!!!
I think I remember "The Goose Girl," too....wasn't that the one with the
horse,
Falada - the servant girl pretends to be the true Bride & convinces the
Prince
to cut off Falada's head, then nail it to the wall? But the head keeps
talking!

Yeah, that's how we all got here, alright!

KAH
("Bountiful")

Vicki

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99

Kendra wrote in message <7bqdre$g...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...
>Well I don't know how this reflects on me but I remember quite well the
>'gooshy' stuff in that story. One sister cuts off her heel to make the
shoe
>fit & the other sister cuts off her big toe. Then at the end, after the
>wedding, as the carriage leaves, crows come down & peck out the
stepmother's
>& sister's eyes. Yep, pretty gory stuff.
>
>Kendra

HAHAHAHA, I guess I read a watered down version.
As I cannot recall anything along those lines. mine was prolly
the Walt Disney version.

Vicki

Tim Moses

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99

And I love the part in the movie "Jumping Jack Flash,"
where Whoopi Goldberg is trying to figure out the words
to the Stones song & she plays it over & over.....

"Mick! Speak English, man!"

I don't remember the what the particular "garbles" were that
she made, but I sure sympathized with her....growing up on the
Stones & then Springsteen....I STILL don't know what half the
lyrics really are......

KAH
("You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it
means.")

EnCsMommy

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
> I believe there is
>actually a
>>>word for mishearing song lyrics like that,

I thought the song "Nights in White Satin" was "KNIGHTS in White Satin" for
years.....

Lisa E
Mommy to Emily (9-7-97) and Caroline (8-8-98)
Remove the "nospam" to send e-mail

TRENA1

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
You mean it's not?

>EnCsMommy wrote in message <19990306114940...@ng60.aol.com>...

Trena

" . . . I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked."Oh, you can't
help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad." "How do
you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't
have come here."

Vicki

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99

>I thought the song "Nights in White Satin" was "KNIGHTS in White Satin"
for
>years.....

WHAT! Wait, wait this can't be! Are you sure it is nights and not
the knights? i think you are wrong....I am just certain of it.
Even at the end it talks about a mean orc that rules the night...
and which is the illusion...I think you are prolly mistaken.

Vicki

Vicki

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99

Covenant wrote in message

>Just remember...
>Grimms fairy Tales were called that for a reason........
>
>(But did they take the name Grimm from Grim... Or did Grim get it's meaning
>from Grimm?????)
>
>Hmmmmmmm?????

Covenant, I think you have just way to much time on your hands!

Vicki ;-)

The Chanteuse

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99

>WHAT! Wait, wait this can't be! Are you sure it is nights and not
>the knights? i think you are wrong....I am just certain of it.
>Even at the end it talks about a mean orc that rules the night...
>and which is the illusion...I think you are prolly mistaken.
>
>Vicki

I have the CD of Days Of Future Passed (which is the Moody Blues album that
song came from. It is NIGHTS in white satin. And I'm afraid it isn't orc,
it's orb. The poem that is read partly in the first and partly in the last
song of that album is printed in the insert (which does not have lyrics in
it, BTW) The poem is as follows:

(at the end of the 1st track: THE DAY BEGINS)

"Cold-hearted orb that rules the night,
Removes the colours from our sight.
Red is grey and yellow white,
But we decide which is right.
And which is an illusion?
Pinprick holes in a coulourless sky,
Let inspired figures of light pass by,
The mighty light of ten thousand suns,
Challanges infinity and soon is gone.
Night time, to some a brief interlude,
To others the fear of solitude.
Brave Helios wake up your steeds,
Bring the warmth the countryside needs."

(At the end of the last track: THE NIGHT: Nights in White Satin)
"Breath deep the gathering gloom,
Watch lights fade from every room.
Bedsitter people look back and lament,
Another day's useless energy spent.
Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,
Lonely man cries for love and has none.
New mother picks up and suckles her son,
Senior citizens wish they were young.
Cold harted orb that rules the night,
Removes the colours from our sight.
Red is grey and yellow white,
But we decide which is right.
And which is an illusion???."

Well, now that I've probably made an enemy or two (I hope not!) I'll go,
again having made myself look wordy. *sigh*

---The Chanteuse, who is going to write a sig file for herself VERY soon.
*l*

Marthapups

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
In article <19990306114940...@ng60.aol.com>,
encs...@aol.comnospam (EnCsMommy) writes:

>I thought the song "Nights in White Satin" was "KNIGHTS in White Satin" for
>years.....

>Lisa E

"Knights in White Satin"...trying to decide if that's a good thing...hmmmm...

Tina

Marthapups

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
In article <7brr85$au...@news.midusa.net>, "Vicki" <Vi...@midusa.net> writes:

>WHAT! Wait, wait this can't be! Are you sure it is nights and not
>the knights? i think you are wrong....I am just certain of it.
>Even at the end it talks about a mean orc that rules the night...
>and which is the illusion...I think you are prolly mistaken.
>
>Vicki

I have the tape in front of me..love the Moody Blues....it *Nights*. The whole
album has a *day* theme...morning, afternoon (Tuesday Afternoon), evening...and
night:)

Tina:)

Tin...@pathway.net

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99

No you had the American version where Cindy does nothing. She just
sits and waits for something to happen to her. This is the version
that we feed our little girls because we cant have them showing
initiative or trying to solve a problem for them selves. Good God no
then they would never be happy barefoot and pregnant later in life.

In some of the Euro versions I have read she actively participates in
solving her problems. More radical thinking from Europe. Women
thinking for themselves sheesh what WILL those people think of next.

Thom
( It IS hard to talk with your tongue pushed into your cheek. )

Marthapups

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
In article <36e18...@news.glasscity.net>, "The Chanteuse" <con...@dcache.net>
writes:

>Well, now that I've probably made an enemy or two (I hope not!) I'll go,
>again having made myself look wordy. *sigh*

For posting that dreamy prose? I think not! It's an album to read something
like Eyes of the Dragon to.

Tina
P.S. I think it's *insipid* not *inspired*:)

SarahMBChB

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
In article <7bp057$o41$1...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>, mcov...@staff.uiuc.edu (maiko
covington) writes:

>swhi...@aol.com (SWhippman) writes:
>
>>Anyone else got any amusing mix-ups like that? I believe there is actually

>>word for mishearing song lyrics like that, and I know there was once a slot
>on
>>the local radio in Liverpool, where I used to live, where people could ring
>in
>>with what they _thought_ the lyrics of particular songs were! I'm going to
>>have to have a think and see if I can remember any amusing ones I've come up
>>with in the past...
>

> The word is "Mondegreen."

I know - read it in the question page in the Guardian once. I meant to add to
this message and give the explanation of the word (I was in a hurry when I
wrote the post). Apparently it's from someone who misheard the lyrics to a
song as `They slew the Earl of [somewhere] and Lady Mondegreen', when the
lyrics were actually `...laid him on the green'.

> You can read some amusing ones on
>Jon Carroll's site, at the San Francisco Chronicle:
>
> http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/carroll/mondegreens.shtml
>

>There is also a book about these out (at least one!) called "Excuse Me
>While I Kiss This Guy." Searching for "Mondegreen" on the web should bring
>up some amusing pages too.

Thanks for the tips! I'll check these out.

> Only TANGENTIALLY related to this newsgroup, as a kid I had a rather
>morbid imagination (rather liking to sit around wondering what it would be
>like to be sentenced to death, and that sort of thing) and I'd hear
>delightfully tasteless and disturbing lyrics in songs, only to find out
>later that the real lyrics were far less interesting.

Hmmm, worrying - like those old inkblot tests!

Regards,

Sarah, posting from different address. Please address any e-mail to
swhi...@aol.com

SarahMBChB

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
In article <19990305115316...@ng-fv1.aol.com>, dollf...@aol.com
(Dollfin330) writes:

>>Anyone else got any amusing mix-ups like that? I believe there is actually
>>word for mishearing song lyrics like that,
>

>Two very old disco songs come to mind.
>
>*I wanna kiss you all over *.... I thought was
>I wanna kiss your lawn mower.
>
>* I want to thank you Heavenly Father*
>I thought was ... I want to thank you Henry Fonda.
>
>And in the ever famous... *We are the Champions* by Queen...
>
>.... "We are the champions... No time for loosers....cuz we are the
>champions..."
>
>I thought it was.... We are the champions....
>LaLa Paloozas... cuz we are the champions.

ROTFLOL! Thanks.

Remembered one of my own - thought one of the lines in `Sunday Girl' was
`Chicken and ketchup with the working crowd'. It's actually `She can't catch
up with the working crowd'.

I KNOW I've made similar mistakes, but I'll need time to think of them!

LDLac

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
I can't remember the name of the movie, but I liked him in the one where he
and Katherine Ross went to England and really weird things happened in a big
old mansion. It might have been called "Legacy" or something like
that...all I do know is he looked damned good.
:)
Linda
Mike & Bonnie McDonald wrote in message <7bsvii$bjj$1...@ins8.netins.net>...
>No Way! My husband is constantly teasing me for thinking Sam
>Elliot is attractive!!! I liked him best in "Road House" how 'bout
>you?
>TRENA1 wrote in message <19990306225901...@ng-fc1.aol.com>...
>>>How 'bout Knights on White Satin that sounds better
>>>
>>>Bonnie
>>
>>I like that one even more, Bonnie. Can we pick our own Knights? I got
>dibbs
>>on Sam Elliot.

DavidEvan

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99
>Her husband thought that when Stevie wonder sang "My Papa disapproved it,
>my Mama boo-hooed it" he was actually saying "My Papa disapproved it, my
>Mama blew a hoolie". Of course, when we asked what "blowing a hoolie"
>meant, he had no answer.
>
>I reiterate, my *friends* thought the above.
>Jennifer

From Hoolie and the Blowfish, right?:).
David

DavidEvan

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99
>I thought the song "Nights in White Satin" was "KNIGHTS in White Satin" for
>years.....

>Lisa E

Oh My God! I just realized i've * always* thought that until just this
moment! Boy dont I have a king sized blush on my face about now...
David

TRENA1

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99

Marthapups

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99
In article <7bs746$sd9$1...@ins8.netins.net>, "Mike & Bonnie McDonald"
<mr...@netins.net> writes:

>How 'bout Knights on White Satin that sounds better
>
>Bonnie

Yes it does.<wink>

Tina

TRENA1

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99
>"Mike & Bonnie McDonald" <mr...@netins.net> (Bonnie) wrote:

>No Way! My husband is constantly teasing me for thinking Sam
>Elliot is attractive!!! I liked him best in "Road House" how 'bout
>you?

Are you kidding? Sam Elliot and Patrick Swayze in the same movie? I could
have died happy right then. Speaking of Patrick, he can be another Knight for
me. He might not be bad as Roland in a Dark Tower movie. He's got those eyes
(and that smile, and the cute, tight little . . . stopping myself here) .

Trena
Adding Andy Garcia, Tommy Lee Jones and Aidan Quinn to the Knights list while
I'm in this frame of mind

Tin...@pathway.net

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99

Not to be ignorant but I always thought it was

Blinded by the light
wrapped up like a douche
another loner in the night.

Thom

Covenant

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99

Vicki wrote in message <7brri5$av...@news.midusa.net>...

Hey....
You might be right !!!!!!!

Covenant.
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

(Yep.... Looks like you ARE !!))

SarahMBChB

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99
In article <7bpli1$2nb$1...@winter.news.rcn.net>, "Tim Moses"
<T.m...@erols.com@erols.com> writes:

>I remember reading an article by someone confessing to this...
>She was fondly recalling a favorite word of hers: Dauncerly...
>A magical kind of word....She got it from the "Star-Spangled
>Banner"
>
>Oh, say can you see?
>By the Dauncerly light.....
>
>Kind of like the light just as the sun peeps through the clouds....
>Unfortunately, she shared this favorite word with her older sister,
>who shattered her favorite word to bits....

I'm told that as a child I used to mystify my parents by demands of `Sing the
Nodeer Song!'

They eventually worked out that I was referring to `You Are My Sunshine' and
the line `You'll never know, dear, how much I love you...'

:-)

SarahMBChB

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99
In article <19990306114940...@ng60.aol.com>,
encs...@aol.comnospam (EnCsMommy) writes:

>> I believe there is
>>actually a
>

>I thought the song "Nights in White Satin" was "KNIGHTS in White Satin" for
>years.....

You mean it _isn't_???

Well, thanks for enlightening me on that point!

Tim Moses

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99

SarahMBChB wrote in message

>I'm told that as a child I used to mystify my parents by demands of `Sing
the
>Nodeer Song!'
>
>They eventually worked out that I was referring to `You Are My Sunshine'
and
>the line `You'll never know, dear, how much I love you...'

You remind me of the little girl who liked the "New Hat Dude" song
by the Pointer Sisters....she thought they were singing:

"I've got a new hat, dude"

instead of:

"I've got a new attitude"

I think I like her version a little better!

KAH
(going to go sing the No Deer song to my 2 year old.......)

Marthapups

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99
In article <19990306234759...@ng-da1.aol.com>, tre...@aol.com
(TRENA1) writes:

>Are you kidding? Sam Elliot and Patrick Swayze in the same movie? I could
>have died happy right then. Speaking of Patrick, he can be another Knight
>for
>me. He might not be bad as Roland in a Dark Tower movie. He's got those
>eyes
>(and that smile, and the cute, tight little . . . stopping myself here) .
>
>Trena
>Adding Andy Garcia, Tommy Lee Jones and Aidan Quinn to the Knights list while
>I'm in this frame of mind

Sor-ray, Aidan is taken. Those eyes....

Tina
Yeah, like men don't do this...:)

Jeff & Traci De

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99
Me three? or is it four? Oh never mind.

Ditto!

Traci

Mike & Bonnie McDonald wrote:

> I did too, until.... just a couple of minutes ago .... <BG>
>
> Bonnie

> EnCsMommy wrote in message <19990306114940...@ng60.aol.com>...

> >> I believe there is
> >>actually a
> >
> >I thought the song "Nights in White Satin" was "KNIGHTS in White Satin"
> for
> >years.....

> >Lisa E
> >Mommy to Emily (9-7-97) and Caroline (8-8-98)
> >Remove the "nospam" to send e-mail

--
If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight reign on his
tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. James 1:26

TRENA1

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
>Tina
>Yeah, like men don't do this...:)

Men are just as bad as we are, I'm sure. Although I think my hubby may have
gone over the edge. . . his current wish list includes Martha Stewart. Now,
the rest I can understand - Jennifer Lopez, Andie Macdowell, Gillian Anderson -
but Martha Stewart? Puleeeze!

Marthapups

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
In article <19990307193106...@ng21.aol.com>, tre...@aol.com
(TRENA1) writes:

>Tina
>>Yeah, like men don't do this...:)
>
>Men are just as bad as we are, I'm sure. Although I think my hubby may have
>gone over the edge. . . his current wish list includes Martha Stewart. Now,
>the rest I can understand - Jennifer Lopez, Andie Macdowell, Gillian Anderson
>-
>but Martha Stewart? Puleeeze!

LOL! He wishes wives were like her in real life. As if!

Tina

Tin...@pathway.net

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
On 8 Mar 1999 00:31:06 GMT, tre...@aol.com (TRENA1) wrote:

>>Tina
>>Yeah, like men don't do this...:)
>
>Men are just as bad as we are, I'm sure. Although I think my hubby may have
>gone over the edge. . . his current wish list includes Martha Stewart. Now,
>the rest I can understand - Jennifer Lopez, Andie Macdowell, Gillian Anderson -
>but Martha Stewart? Puleeeze!
>

>Trena

You have to have someone to make the bed when you done using it.

Thom

maiko covington

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
"Tim Moses" <T.m...@erols.com@erols.com> writes:

>I remember reading an article by someone confessing to this...
>She was fondly recalling a favorite word of hers: Dauncerly...
>A magical kind of word....She got it from the "Star-Spangled
>Banner"

>Oh, say can you see?
>By the Dauncerly light.....

>Kind of like the light just as the sun peeps through the clouds....
>Unfortunately, she shared this favorite word with her older sister,
>who shattered her favorite word to bits....

This happened in one of the Ramona Quimby books, by Beverly
Cleary. I remember the scene well, and was reminded of it afresh only
a year or so ago. I work at a university, and was walking near the bell
tower on my lunch break, listening to the chimes of "My country, 'tis of
thee..." and only then did it finally HIT me that "tizofthee" is, well,
_'tis_of_thee_. It's not some special strange word.

Only took me about 25 years to figure that out, too.

Maiko Covington

maiko covington

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
encs...@aol.comnospam (EnCsMommy) writes:

>I thought the song "Nights in White Satin" was "KNIGHTS in White Satin" for
>years.....

As did I until JUST NOW. Thank you for setting me straight!
I have GOT to start listening more carefully to these things.

Maiko Covington (almost finished rereading "The Stand")

Skattered

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
How about in "God Save The Queen", the phrase "centervictoreus long to
rainoverus" AKA "send her victorious, long to reign over us", I think I was
at least 14 before I realised what I was singing. My older brother also let
me in at the age of 5 that LMNOP was more than 1 letter.

Lola Granola

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
maiko covington wrote:

> "Tim Moses" <T.m...@erols.com@erols.com> writes:
>
> >I remember reading an article by someone confessing to this...
> >She was fondly recalling a favorite word of hers: Dauncerly...
> >A magical kind of word....She got it from the "Star-Spangled
> >Banner"
>
> >Oh, say can you see?
> >By the Dauncerly light.....

Blow tray can you see
Fly the pawn's curly sight

The long gone beach lawn is infested with headlights

I live in a world...

TRENA1

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
LeeAnn Rimes did a cover of the Prince song "Purple Rain" at a concert last
year. All the way home, my daughter sang, loud and proud, "Purple Red
Potpourri, I only wanted to see you laughing in the potpourri". It took all my
effort to keep a straight face and keep the car on the road. Later, after
hearing the Prince version, she realized her mistake.

Trena

"Whenever I'm caught between two evils, I take the one I've never tried." Mae
West

Tim Moses

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99

Skattered wrote in message <7c153j$ikt$1...@nntp2.uunet.ca>...

Love it!

In our house, there's the letter "Gubble-you," and when you reach
the end, you sing "No, no, no more ABCs....."

My brother, when little, also invented the letter "Kaitch."

KAH
("You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it
means.")

Tim Moses

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99

SWhippman wrote in message <19990308191934...@ngol02.aol.com>...

>In article <7btknu$8iv$5...@208.231.48.77>, Tin...@Pathway.Net writes:
>
>>Not to be ignorant but I always thought it was
>>
>>Blinded by the light
>>wrapped up like a douche
>>another loner in the night.
>
>Now you come to mention it, I've never been able to figure out what that
line
>_does_ say - and, on fishing out my CD & listening to it, I'd have to say
that
>it sounds _exactly_ like `Wrapped up like a douche' (though I think it's
>`Another _runner_ in the night'). Anyway, since these sound like
improbable
>lyrics, does anyone have the actual lyrics handy? I've been wanting to
know
>those for ages!
>
>Regards,
>
>Sarah

Y'know, as it so happens, this is one of the few early Springsteen
lyrics that I DO know! (Bein' a Jersey Girl, 'n all....)

Blinded by the light
Wrapped up like a deuce
Another runner in the night

Now, ask me what it MEANS????

Sorry!

KAH
(whose favorite Bruce song is "Jungleland" - makes me cry Every time)

Tim Moses

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99

Tim Moses wrote in message <7c1sv1$k5f$1...@winter.news.rcn.net>...

>Y'know, as it so happens, this is one of the few early Springsteen
>lyrics that I DO know! (Bein' a Jersey Girl, 'n all....)

So, after that Amazing build-up, I got it wrong!

>Blinded by the light
>Wrapped up like a deuce
>Another runner in the night

It's REVVED up!

Bruce, baby, if you're reading this...mea culpa, mea culpa, mea
maxima culpa.....

>Now, ask me what it MEANS????

Well, yeah, I STILL don't know THAT!

SWhippman

Mar 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/9/99
In article <7btknu$8iv$5...@208.231.48.77>, Tin...@Pathway.Net writes:

>Not to be ignorant but I always thought it was
>
>Blinded by the light
>wrapped up like a douche
>another loner in the night.

Now you come to mention it, I've never been able to figure out what that line
_does_ say - and, on fishing out my CD & listening to it, I'd have to say that
it sounds _exactly_ like `Wrapped up like a douche' (though I think it's
`Another _runner_ in the night'). Anyway, since these sound like improbable
lyrics, does anyone have the actual lyrics handy? I've been wanting to know
those for ages!

Regards,

Sarah

`Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to
grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not manage to eff it after
all.'

Douglas Adams, `Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency'

ald

Mar 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/9/99
On 09 Mar 1999 00:19:34 GMT, swhi...@aol.com (SWhippman) wrote:

>In article <7btknu$8iv$5...@208.231.48.77>, Tin...@Pathway.Net writes:
>
>>Not to be ignorant but I always thought it was
>>
>>Blinded by the light
>>wrapped up like a douche
>>another loner in the night.
>
>Now you come to mention it, I've never been able to figure out what that line
>_does_ say - and, on fishing out my CD & listening to it, I'd have to say that
>it sounds _exactly_ like `Wrapped up like a douche' (though I think it's
>`Another _runner_ in the night'). Anyway, since these sound like improbable
>lyrics, does anyone have the actual lyrics handy? I've been wanting to know
>those for ages!
>
>Regards,
>
>Sarah

Unless I'm mistaken (and I *don't* have the lyrics handy), it's
"revved up like a deuce", as in a deuce coop. I believe that you're
correct on the second line.

ald
"Bird and Bear and Hare and Fish ..."

Tin...@pathway.net

Mar 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/9/99
On Mon, 8 Mar 1999 20:20:01 -0500, "Tim Moses"
<T.m...@erols.com@erols.com> wrote:

>SWhippman wrote in message <19990308191934...@ngol02.aol.com>...

>>In article <7btknu$8iv$5...@208.231.48.77>, Tin...@Pathway.Net writes:
>>
>>>Not to be ignorant but I always thought it was
>>>
>>>Blinded by the light
>>>wrapped up like a douche
>>>another loner in the night.
>>
>>Now you come to mention it, I've never been able to figure out what that
>line
>>_does_ say - and, on fishing out my CD & listening to it, I'd have to say
>that
>>it sounds _exactly_ like `Wrapped up like a douche' (though I think it's
>>`Another _runner_ in the night'). Anyway, since these sound like
>improbable
>>lyrics, does anyone have the actual lyrics handy? I've been wanting to
>know
>>those for ages!
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Sarah
>>

>Y'know, as it so happens, this is one of the few early Springsteen
>lyrics that I DO know! (Bein' a Jersey Girl, 'n all....)
>

>Blinded by the light
>Wrapped up like a deuce
>Another runner in the night
>

>Now, ask me what it MEANS????
>

>Sorry!

>KAH
>(whose favorite Bruce song is "Jungleland" - makes me cry Every time)

Sorry KAH but I thought it was Manfred Manns Earth Band that did that
one. But I could be VERY wrong.

and

It is Revved up like a duce.
another runner in the night.

I think Revved up like a duce refers to the Duce coup. These hot rods
use a small block engine ( 302 Boss, or 327 Chevy ) that will turn a
lot more RPMs than a big block, and therefor will rev higher. It's a
guaranteed hole shot, but in the quarter mile there is just no
substitute for the raw horse power of a blown 440 or a 457 hemi. Not
only that but....what were we talking about?

Thom
( Hey I grew up when gas was cheap, and I miss the era of the muscle
cars. )

Of those things that go with out saying.....Let them.

Tim Moses

Mar 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/9/99

Tin...@Pathway.Net wrote in message <7c2qce$1go$1...@208.231.48.30>...

[Re: "Blinded by the Light"}

>Sorry KAH but I thought it was Manfred Manns Earth Band that did that
>one. But I could be VERY wrong.

Not VERY wrong, Thom, just a (tiny) bit!
It's Springsteen's song - MMEB covered it & actually got more
airplay than Springsteen's version.

I think they did a cover of another song of his, too, but I'm drawing
a blank on what it could have been....Yeah, I s'pose I COULD take
a ride over to alt.springsteen-the-boss (or whatever) and ask
there.....Nah!

>and
>
>It is Revved up like a duce.
>another runner in the night.

"The Deuce you say!"
[Covenant! - Reference?????]

KAH
("...and the street's on fire in a real Death waltz,
between what' flesh and what's fantasy.....")

Tim Moses

Mar 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/9/99

Tin...@Pathway.Net wrote in message <7c2qce$1go$1...@208.231.48.30>...

>( Hey I grew up when gas was cheap, and I miss the era of the muscle
>cars. )

I learned to drive to the sounds of Springsteen, the Stones -
hey! "Radar Love" now THERE is a Drivin' song!!!!

Bruce:
"My machine's she's a dud,
and I'm stuck in the mud,
Somewhere in the Swamps of Jersey!"

"I wanna drive with you, Wendy,
on the streets tonight,
In an ever-lasting kiss....
HUH!"

It's a wonder I didn't get pulled over more times than
I actually did.......

KAH
("Roy Orbison singin' for the lonely. Hey, that's me,
and I want you only.....")

Jim Box

Mar 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/9/99
Dunno if this has already been posted, but checkout
http://www.kissthisguy.com/
for some more bungled lyrics and interesting stories.

-Jim Box

lisa

Mar 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/9/99
Ivy Lee wrote:

> On 6 Mar 1999 05:18:38 GMT, "Kendra" <Kend...@att.net> wrote:
>
> >Well I don't know how this reflects on me but I remember quite well the
> >'gooshy' stuff in that story. One sister cuts off her heel to make the shoe
> >fit & the other sister cuts off her big toe. Then at the end, after the
> >wedding, as the carriage leaves, crows come down & peck out the stepmother's
> >& sister's eyes. Yep, pretty gory stuff.
>
> Yep, fairy tales can be horrid--one of my favorites as a child was "The Goose
> Girl," which has a similar gooshy ending (as I recall, the villainess was
> stripped naked and dragged through the streets in a barrel studded with nails).
> It's a wonder we aren't warped by these things, really.
>
> I mean more than we already are. :)
>
> Ivy

ha!! no kidding!! I've been reading some of these to my kids and it's
amazing how awfully gory they get! Have you read "The Red Shoes"??
yikes... that's a brutal one too!! I could see my kids flinching along
with me when we read the part about someone chopping off her feet with
an axe...ha! Reminded me of Misery...they might have been better off
reading that! Come to think of it, maybe I'll start integrating some SK
stories into the bedtime stories...

lisa :)

It is loading more messages.