Mara of the Acoma

Kerryn

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

Does anyone remember Mara of the Acoma being mentioned in the original
printing of Magician? I never owned my own copy, and now only have the
author's preferred edition so I can't check. She is mentioned in the
preferred edition, when Pug and Laurie are being taken to the
Shinzawai household, and Hokanu stopped to visit Mara. Is there any
mention of this visit in the Daughter of the Empire?

I always wondered when REF developed the Mara storyline, whether it
was after the Riftwar saga was well underway, or whether he had always
had the story "on the other side" in mind to tell.

So many questions....

Kerryn

Johnathon Gusto

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96
to s-gu...@deepcove.com

Kerryn wrote:

> Does anyone remember Mara of the Acoma being mentioned in the original
> printing of Magician? I never owned my own copy, and now only have the
> author's preferred edition so I can't check. She is mentioned in the
> preferred edition, when Pug and Laurie are being taken to the
> Shinzawai household, and Hokanu stopped to visit Mara. Is there any
> mention of this visit in the Daughter of the Empire?

I've got the original edition, and Mara is not mentioned. The name Acoma
is not mentioned at all in Magician as far as I can remember.

> I always wondered when REF developed the Mara storyline, whether it
> was after the Riftwar saga was well underway, or whether he had always
> had the story "on the other side" in mind to tell.

It was probably developed fully after Riftwar since he wrote it with
Wurst. You can really see Wurst's influence in the writing.

> Kerryn

Mad Hamish

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96

In article <4rdoqk$r...@harbinger.cc.monash.edu.au> rlg...@pfs01.cc.monash.edu.au (Kerryn) writes:
>From: rlg...@pfs01.cc.monash.edu.au (Kerryn)
>Subject: Mara of the Acoma
>Date: Wed, 03 Jul 1996 11:26:10 GMT

>Does anyone remember Mara of the Acoma being mentioned in the original
>printing of Magician?

I'm pretty sure that she was never mentioned by name, but the house that Pug
and Laurie stop at was then used in Servent OF The Empire as hers, so she must
have snuck into the APE through the back door.

> I never owned my own copy, and now only have the
>author's preferred edition so I can't check. She is mentioned in the
>preferred edition, when Pug and Laurie are being taken to the
>Shinzawai household, and Hokanu stopped to visit Mara. Is there any
>mention of this visit in the Daughter of the Empire?

It is mentioned in the second book, Servent Of The Empire (?) where they meet
a Midkemia Slave called Kevin, but that's another story.

The Politician's Slogan
'You can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all
of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.
Fortunately only a simple majority is required.'

Mad Hamish

Hamish Laws
h_l...@postoffice.sandybay.utas.edu.au

Michael C. Ling

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96

On Jul 04, 1996 12:32:45 in article <Re: Mara of the Acoma>,

'h_l...@postoffice.sandybay.utas.edu.au (Mad Hamish)' wrote:

>>Does anyone remember Mara of the Acoma being mentioned in the original
>>printing of Magician?
>
>I'm pretty sure that she was never mentioned by name, but the house that
Pug
>and Laurie stop at was then used in Servent OF The Empire as hers, so she
must

In APE Magician, Charles mentioned the Acoma being betrayed by the
M-------nabi(I'm not gonna try to spell that name) as an example of
political warfare happening with the Tsuranni.

--
M C L - (Web page under construction, last update 06/10/96)
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Mike_Ling/homepage.htm

Kerryn

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96

Johnathon Gusto <s-gu...@deepcove.com> wrote:

>Kerryn wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone remember Mara of the Acoma being mentioned in the original

>> printing of Magician? I never owned my own copy, and now only have the

>> author's preferred edition so I can't check. She is mentioned in the
>> preferred edition, when Pug and Laurie are being taken to the
>> Shinzawai household, and Hokanu stopped to visit Mara. Is there any
>> mention of this visit in the Daughter of the Empire?

>I've got the original edition, and Mara is not mentioned. The name Acoma

>is not mentioned at all in Magician as far as I can remember.

That's what I thought.

>> I always wondered when REF developed the Mara storyline, whether it
>> was after the Riftwar saga was well underway, or whether he had always
>> had the story "on the other side" in mind to tell.

>It was probably developed fully after Riftwar since he wrote it with
>Wurst. You can really see Wurst's influence in the writing.

I have only actually read one of Wurst's books and I was not all that
impressed (Mater of Whitestorm??). As such I am not all that familiar
with her style. In what way do you see her influence?

Kerryn

The Most Powerful Entity in the Universe's toad

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96

h_l...@postoffice.sandybay.utas.edu.au (Mad Hamish) wrote:
>In article <4rdoqk$r...@harbinger.cc.monash.edu.au>
>rlg...@pfs01.cc.monash.edu.au (Kerryn) writes:
>>From: rlg...@pfs01.cc.monash.edu.au (Kerryn)
>>Subject: Mara of the Acoma
>>Date: Wed, 03 Jul 1996 11:26:10 GMT
>
>>Does anyone remember Mara of the Acoma being mentioned in the original
>>printing of Magician?
>
>I'm pretty sure that she was never mentioned by name, but the house
>that Pug and Laurie stop at was then used in Servent OF The Empire as
>hers, so she must have snuck into the APE through the back door.
>
>> I never owned my own copy, and now only have the
>>author's preferred edition so I can't check. She is mentioned in the
>>preferred edition, when Pug and Laurie are being taken to the
>>Shinzawai household, and Hokanu stopped to visit Mara. Is there any
>>mention of this visit in the Daughter of the Empire?
>
>It is mentioned in the second book, Servent Of The Empire (?) where
>they meet a Midkemia Slave called Kevin, but that's another story.

I enjoyed the political intrigue of the Empire books, but the whole
thing just seemed like a clone of Shogun (the second book anyway).
Anyone else get that impression?

Gussel Timer

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96
to s-gu...@deepcove.com

Kerryn wrote:

> >It was probably developed fully after Riftwar since he wrote it with
> >Wurst. You can really see Wurst's influence in the writing.
>
> I have only actually read one of Wurst's books and I was not all that
> impressed (Mater of Whitestorm??). As such I am not all that familiar
> with her style. In what way do you see her influence?

The relationships between the characters are more up-close, personal, and melodramatic (in a
positive way). The way this is done is that the narrator tells us what the character is thinking
not just in general terms, but thought by thought, justification by justification. We get to
hear the thoughts of various protagonists scene after scene. This occurs on occasion in Riftwar
(previous to Empire series); e.g. Jimmy in Silverthorn, but for the most part it is used sparingly,
and the character's actions and reactions tell us how they're thinking. This is not bad (or good),
it's just different.

After the Empire series you really see this style more prevalent. King's Buccaneer is an example of
this. It's lessened somewhat in the SerpentWar, but only a little, and is used very effectively.

Gussel Timer

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96
to s-gu...@deepcove.com

The Most Powerful Entity in the Universe's toad wrote:

> I enjoyed the political intrigue of the Empire books, but the whole
> thing just seemed like a clone of Shogun (the second book anyway).
> Anyone else get that impression?

Hmm..intersesting viewpoint...which brings up a question. The Empire of
Tsuranuanni seems to be based on Japanese culture (even though Feist &
Wurst used Korean history as a loose reference). But do the Tsurani look
Japanese? I seem to recall red hair & blonde hair mentioned among the
women and men, so that seems to discount that notion.

JOEY

Jul 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/5/96

On Thu, 4 Jul 1996, Kerryn wrote:

> I have only actually read one of Wurst's books and I was not all that
> impressed (Mater of Whitestorm??). As such I am not all that familiar
> with her style. In what way do you see her influence?
>

> Kerryn

the only jenny wurst books i have read are the daughter of the empire
series and those kicked butt ! they are a must read after reading the
riftwar :) :) the first book was ok but the seccond and third were
awsome ! you find out allot about the "Great Ones" and the political
thing in those books is so cool.. i recomend you read them :) :) you
wont regret it :)

Joey..

Kerryn

Jul 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/7/96

Gussel Timer <s-gu...@deepcove.com> wrote:

Funny you should mention that. When reading the Empire series for the
first time I was struck by how much the Tsuranuanni reminded me of the
Japanese, (I am a Japanese major - albeit a bad one) and I did think
that they may have looked like them too. I don't remember any
references to hair colour, but perhaps that could be due to the mixes
of races when Kelewan was first filled of people fleeing the enemy.
Pug did mention that the races were very different when they first
crossed the bridge into (or should that be onto?) Kelewan, but that he
saw in them the beginnings of the Tsuranuanni.

Kerryn

Kerryn

Jul 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/7/96

JOEY <ajczik...@clstac.is.csupomona.edu> wrote:

> Joey..

Actually I have read all the Empire series, and I would have to agree
that they are fantastic. I loved the political intrigue, and how Mara
seemed to get around some of the "rules" (eg. when one of her advisors
was to be sentenced to death, but she made him wear the black collar
(?? can't remember his name or exact details and no longer have the
books to check - sorry). I also loved Arakasi the Spy Master. The
whole storyline to the Empire series was unlike the Riftwar stuff and
I really enjoyed getting the other side of the story.

Anyone no if there are any plans for anymore on Kelewan's side of the
rift?

Kerryn

Mad Hamish

Jul 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/7/96

In article <4rn5ns$c...@harbinger.cc.monash.edu.au> rlg...@pfs01.cc.monash.edu.au (Kerryn) writes:
>Anyone no if there are any plans for anymore on Kelewan's side of the
>rift?

There are no plans for anymore Empire books. However there is another series
planned after the Serpent War (and another dark fantasy) for another Midkemia
series which may include some action on Kelewan.

Apparently Ray and Wurts don't want to co-author again, although they
apparently both enjoyed it and still like each other it's apparently a lot
more work.

Jeffrey K. Czyz

Jul 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/7/96

Kerryn wrote:

> Johnathon Gusto <s-gu...@deepcove.com> wrote:
>
> >Kerryn wrote:
> >>
> >> Does anyone remember Mara of the Acoma being mentioned in the original
> >> printing of Magician? I never owned my own copy, and now only have the

> >> author's preferred edition so I can't check. She is mentioned in the
> >> preferred edition, when Pug and Laurie are being taken to the
> >> Shinzawai household, and Hokanu stopped to visit Mara. Is there any
> >> mention of this visit in the Daughter of the Empire?
>
> >I've got the original edition, and Mara is not mentioned. The name Acoma
> >is not mentioned at all in Magician as far as I can remember.
>
> That's what I thought.
>
> >> I always wondered when REF developed the Mara storyline, whether it
> >> was after the Riftwar saga was well underway, or whether he had always
> >> had the story "on the other side" in mind to tell.
>
> >It was probably developed fully after Riftwar since he wrote it with
> >Wurst. You can really see Wurst's influence in the writing.
>
> I have only actually read one of Wurst's books and I was not all that
> impressed (Mater of Whitestorm??). As such I am not all that familiar
> with her style. In what way do you see her influence?
>
> Kerryn

You might have not been impressed because Feist actuatlly wrote the Empire
Trilogy, except for a few parts by Wurts(i.e.-The wedding). Wurts corrected
Feist's first draft and he wrote the final copy.

Just to let everyone know,

--
Jeffrey K. Czyz
cz...@buffnet.net

Gussel Timer

Jul 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/7/96
to Jeffrey K. Czyz, s-gu...@deepcove.com

Jeffrey K. Czyz wrote:

> You might have not been impressed because Feist actuatlly wrote the Empire
> Trilogy, except for a few parts by Wurts(i.e.-The wedding). Wurts corrected
> Feist's first draft and he wrote the final copy.

Thanks for the info! But there is a definite stylistic change in how the
Riftwar Series is written and how the Empire series is written. It is
doubtful that Feist just decided to change it on all his own
(that scenario is possible, but it's more probable Wurts influence is
being felt).

It would be very interesting to have seen what Feist's first draft would
have been like of all the books.

The Most Powerful Entity in the Universe's toad

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

Gussel Timer <s-gu...@deepcove.com> wrote:
>Hmm..intersesting viewpoint...which brings up a question. The Empire of
>Tsuranuanni seems to be based on Japanese culture (even though Feist &
>Wurst used Korean history as a loose reference). But do the Tsurani look
>Japanese? I seem to recall red hair & blonde hair mentioned among the
>women and men, so that seems to discount that notion.
Those with red and blond hair were outside of the Empire I thought. When they mentioned some of the concubines being blond and such=
I thought they were also mentioned as being slaves taken from other parts of Kelewan.
As for the Shogun line, in that book a man from what might as well have been another world goes to Japan. Falls in love with a poli=
tically powerful lady while essentially her slave and is ultimately `deported' once a political objective is reached. Certain scene=
s between Mara and Kevin really brought Shogun to mind.
Just my impression.

Gussel Timer

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96
to s-gu...@deepcove.com

Mad Hamish wrote:

> The story I've heard is that Wurts and Feist were both writing on computers at
> the time and transferred bits and pieces back and forth via modem so much that
> they don't even know who wrote what bits, except for a few sections or
> passages.
>
> Ray has been highly critical of people who claim that he basically wrote the
> books and Wurts did virtually nothing. He claims it was a true joint effort
> with both partners contributing about equally.

Interesting stuff. Do you by chance happen to know how they even got together in the first place?

Mad Hamish

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

In article <31E021...@buffnet.net> "Jeffrey K. Czyz" <cz...@buffnet.net> writes:

>You might have not been impressed because Feist actuatlly wrote the Empire
>Trilogy, except for a few parts by Wurts(i.e.-The wedding). Wurts corrected
>Feist's first draft and he wrote the final copy.

The story I've heard is that Wurts and Feist were both writing on computers at

the time and transferred bits and pieces back and forth via modem so much that
they don't even know who wrote what bits, except for a few sections or
passages.

Ray has been highly critical of people who claim that he basically wrote the
books and Wurts did virtually nothing. He claims it was a true joint effort
with both partners contributing about equally.

Jeffrey K. Czyz

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96
to FEIST...@cornell.edu

Jeffrey K. Czyz wrote:

> Kerryn wrote:
> >
> > Johnathon Gusto <s-gu...@deepcove.com> wrote:

> > >I've got the original edition, and Mara is not mentioned. The name Acoma
> > >is not mentioned at all in Magician as far as I can remember.
> >
> > That's what I thought.

> > >It was probably developed fully after Riftwar since he wrote it with
> > >Wurst. You can really see Wurst's influence in the writing.
> >
> > I have only actually read one of Wurst's books and I was not all that
> > impressed (Mater of Whitestorm??). As such I am not all that familiar
> > with her style. In what way do you see her influence?
> >
> > Kerryn
>
> You might have not been impressed because Feist actuatlly wrote the Empire
> Trilogy, except for a few parts by Wurts(i.e.-The wedding). Wurts corrected
> Feist's first draft and he wrote the final copy.
>
> Just to let everyone know,
>
> --
> Jeffrey K. Czyz
> cz...@buffnet.net
> Tadain, Chief Tracker of Elvandar@RiftMUSH

It was brought to my attention by a person that will be named anoymous
that I was portraying Janny Wurts as a "junior partner" in the writing
of the Empire Trilogy, while Feist and her wrote an equal share of the
books. I now realize, after viewing REF's e-mail message that I was
totally wrong, and I would like to apologize for posting the above.
Here is the message that Raymond E. Feist wrote:

Raymond E. Feist wrote:
>Jason Martin wrote:
>>
>> Ray-
>> I was curious on how you go about writing another book with
>> another author. Such as you and Janny. I love the Empire series, but
>> just curious as hell as two people write a book together. Do each of you
>> just through out ideas, and pick which ones are the best and go from
>> there, or is there a methodical process?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason Martin
>>
>> mar...@ucs.orst.edu
>>
>> "Death is lighter than a feather, Duty heavier than a mountain" Wheels of
>> Time, By Robert Jordan. Yes I do read other Authors besides R.E.F. =)
>

>Well, let's see, we originally did one really smart thing, listen to
>Larry Niven, who said, "Someone must be boss." So because it was my
>universe, I got the tie-breaker. Then we negotiated a contract between
>ourselves, so that if one of us had a change in brain chemistry and
>decided to quit the other's rights were protected.
>
>Then we went to work. We started out with the idea that I'd do first
>draft, Janny would rewrite my stuff, and I'd do a final before we sent
>it over to the editor. Then Janny said, "I want to do Mara's wedding!
>I've got some great ideas!" so I said, OK, and from that point on we
>were leapfrogging and passing files back and forth. There are a few
>things I can point to and say, "I did most of that," or "Janny did most
>of that," but there's a lot of stuff where I have no idea who did what,
>we both worked on it so many times.
>
>We were sending files back and forth on disc for a while, and as we both
>had Apple's, that was OK. Then I got my first Mac, so I had to use a
>nul modem cable to transfer Janny's files from my old Apple to my new
>Mac. Then Janny got a modem and we just sent files back and forth via
>the phone. I was always in California, and Janny was in Pennsylvania,
>Connecticut when she and Don were getting married, then they moved to
>Florida, so modems save my sanity.
>
>That's it in a nutshell. I'm really glad I did it, but I won't do it
>again; too much work! <G>
>
>Best, R.E.F.
>
>--
>Never attribute to malice anything that can be satisfactorily explained
>away by stupidity.

Jeffrey K. Czyz

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96
to FEIST...@cornell.edu

Ariel

Aug 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/10/96

Gussel Timer <s-gu...@deepcove.com> wrote:

>Jeffrey K. Czyz wrote:

>> You might have not been impressed because Feist actuatlly wrote the Empire
>> Trilogy, except for a few parts by Wurts(i.e.-The wedding). Wurts corrected
>> Feist's first draft and he wrote the final copy.

>Thanks for the info! But there is a definite stylistic change in how the

>Riftwar Series is written and how the Empire series is written. It is
>doubtful that Feist just decided to change it on all his own
>(that scenario is possible, but it's more probable Wurts influence is
>being felt).

>It would be very interesting to have seen what Feist's first draft would
>have been like of all the books.

I was under the impressionthat whilst Feist plotted and structured the
three Empire novels, it was Wurts who actually wrote them. This would
certainly account fo the change in style, as well as the discrepancy
between the definite 'Feist' feel of the Empire plot and the generally
less structured and less 'flowing' feel of Wurts' Cycle of Fire
trilogy. I think it was the commisioning editor for Harpercollins UK
(if you'll excuse the blatant name-drop) who told me this one.

Peter Cartwright

Aug 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/11/96

No, Feist was definitely in on the writing as well as plot of the Empire
books. Take a look at the first line of every chapter (and those in all
his other books except Faerie Tale) and you'll see what I mean. Unless you
think he convinced Janny Wurts that it was a good idea.

Ariel

Aug 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/13/96

Earlier this week, I wrote:

>I was under the impressionthat whilst Feist plotted and structured the
>three Empire novels, it was Wurts who actually wrote them. This would
>certainly account fo the change in style, as well as the discrepancy
>between the definite 'Feist' feel of the Empire plot and the generally
>less structured and less 'flowing' feel of Wurts' Cycle of Fire
>trilogy. I think it was the commisioning editor for Harpercollins UK
>(if you'll excuse the blatant name-drop) who told me this one.

A day or two later I received in my mail-box a ticking off from the
man himself. It would appear I got my facts confused (gee thanks
Harcpercollins UK, appreciate it!). I now reproduce the message that
Mr Feist sent me for the benefit of anyone else who wants to know, and
so that they will avoid a similar faux-pas (I am *Really* going to
have to have a word with those folks at HarperCollins)

I quote:

"Janny and I co-wrote the Empire trilogy.

Originally, I wanted to write 1st drafts and have her rewrite them,
but very quickly that changed when she decided she wanted 1st crack at
Mara's wedding in Daughter. After that we leap-frogged one another
and passed stuff back and forth. There are several sections where one
of us worked more on it than the others (I did most of the work on
Arakasi taking out the Hamoi Tong; Janny did most of the work on Mara
going to the Thruril highlands, for example) but there are long
passages were neither one of us can tell you who wrote what.

It was not a "Big name/little name" deal where a well known writer
puts his/her name on something and the unknown writer busts his/her
butt doing all the work. Janny and I published our first novels in
the same month. She had several books out when we decided to work
together.

We had a ball. We won't do it again because it's very hard work, and
our respective wife and husband would give us serious grief if we went
through all that stress again, and we told the story of the most
interesting character at the most critical time of the Empire. But
we're both very glad to have done the work, and pleased that it's
still in print after all these years.

I usually stay away from reading things in the usegroups, as I have an
active mailing list in which I participate and I can be reached at AOL
or CompuServe, and I feel there's got to be one place fans can go to
bitch about my work without feeling they have to be polite because I'm
"in the room." (Not that some people feel adverse to showing the world
just how little they understand the writing process but what the heck:
everyone's a critic of everything--just it's nicer if people don't
feel the "chilling effect" of an author they're wanting to slam). But
when it comes to credit/blame for the Empire series, I feel the need
to make it clear to the world: Janny and I were equal partners and
shared the work evenly (more or less). The Empire series is as much
her's as mine.

Best, R.E.F."

I stand corrected, and humbly apologise. And to set the record
straight, I would just like to say that I am one of REF and Janny's
biggest fans in the UK, and I think that the Empire series is
literally the greatest achievement in the field of fatasy writing for
thirty years. The best reading I ever had was when I picked up volume
three of the Empire and started down that road to one of the greatest
plot-climaxes in fantasy history. ll hail Feist and Wurts, and more
power to your word-processors!!

TTFN

Ariel.

Ariel

Aug 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/14/96

P.S.

Mr Feist, if you're out there, I dod try to return mail to yourself in
person, but I'm afraid your server must have been down or something.
Will keep trying...

Ariel

Sep 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/28/96

Gussel Timer <s-gu...@deepcove.com> wrote:

>Jeffrey K. Czyz wrote:

>> You might have not been impressed because Feist actuatlly wrote the Empire
>> Trilogy, except for a few parts by Wurts(i.e.-The wedding). Wurts corrected
>> Feist's first draft and he wrote the final copy.

>Thanks for the info! But there is a definite stylistic change in how the
>Riftwar Series is written and how the Empire series is written. It is
>doubtful that Feist just decided to change it on all his own
>(that scenario is possible, but it's more probable Wurts influence is
>being felt).

>It would be very interesting to have seen what Feist's first draft would
>have been like of all the books.

So what happened to all the follow-ups on this one that were here a
few weeks ago? This was developing into an interesting thread, and
then someone trashes it. Who's in charge of this newsgroup anyway?

Kishore Krshna

Oct 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/3/96

In article <52juoh$s...@soap.news.pipex.net>, Ar...@dial.pipex.com says...

>>> You might have not been impressed because Feist actuatlly wrote the Empire
>>> Trilogy, except for a few parts by Wurts(i.e.-The wedding). Wurts corrected
>>> Feist's first draft and he wrote the final copy.

Does anyone know if Feist/Wurts plan to follow-up what happens in Kelewan?
The Empire books captured my imagination better than the Riftwar books.

--
Kishore Krshna
kis...@mail.utexas.edu

Eric Leblanc

Oct 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/3/96

Kishore Krshna (kis...@mail.utexas.edu) wrote:
: Does anyone know if Feist/Wurts plan to follow-up what happens in Kelewan?

: The Empire books captured my imagination better than the Riftwar books.
:

Nope! They are not doing any planning about a follow-up in Kelewan. If you
want a better explanation, go see:
http://reality.sgi.com/employees/rchiang_esd/Feist.html

It's Feist FAQ, often answers by R.E.F. Himself!

Lone Wolf

CyberWolf

Oct 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/4/96

I loved the Empire series as you were caught up in the political struggle
as Mara defeated her enemies. A brilliant trilogy

Lyle Beidler

Oct 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/4/96

In the Feistfans Faq, REF himself states that there will be no more Kelewan
books.

Lyle Beidler
Pennsylvanian by birth, Nittany Lion by the grace of God
lkb...@psu.edu
http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/l/k/lkb128/
"We're on a mission from God" - Elwood Blues

Joshua Jasper

Oct 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/4/96

In article <lkb128.53...@psu.edu>, Lyle Beidler <lkb...@psu.edu> wrote:

>>I loved the Empire series as you were caught up in the political struggle
>>as Mara defeated her enemies. A brilliant trilogy

>>Kelewan?
>
>In the Feistfans Faq, REF himself states that there will be no more Kelewan
>books.

Thats what chalker said about the Well of Souls books, then
someone named a figure, a very _large_ figure, and *poof* there were
more. All we gotta do is pressure the publishers, folks.
Sinboy

cliff wagenberg

Oct 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/6/96

In article <01bbb21c$a1914060$cdc60ecb@David>, "CyberWolf"
<wo...@icenet.com.au> wrote:

> I loved the Empire series as you were caught up in the political struggle
> as Mara defeated her enemies. A brilliant trilogy
>
> > >Does anyone know if Feist/Wurts plan to follow-up what happens in
> Kelewan?
> > >The Empire books captured my imagination better than the Riftwar books.

I quite agree especially the last part "mistress of the empire" was
absolutely phenominal!!!
More of it I hope? The Rest of the serpent War could do with more
political intrigue.

But so far I have enjoyed every Feist novel tremendously, and I can't wait
untill part three comes out in Ireland.

cli...@indigo.com

Ian

Oct 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/8/96

I believe not, shame!
To ensure deliver / a reply please e-mail
sal...@btinternet.com
thank you

Kishore Krshna <kis...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote in article
<52vktu$c...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>...

> In article <52juoh$s...@soap.news.pipex.net>, Ar...@dial.pipex.com says...
Empire

> Does anyone know if Feist/Wurts plan to follow-up what happens in
Kelewan?
> The Empire books captured my imagination better than the Riftwar books.

Snakka.

Oct 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/12/96

Joshua Jasper wrote:

> In article <lkb128.53...@psu.edu>, Lyle Beidler <lkb...@psu.edu> wrote:
> >
> >>I loved the Empire series as you were caught up in the political struggle
> >>as Mara defeated her enemies. A brilliant trilogy

> >>Kelewan?
> >
> >In the Feistfans Faq, REF himself states that there will be no more Kelewan
> >books.
>
> Thats what chalker said about the Well of Souls books, then
> someone named a figure, a very _large_ figure, and *poof* there were
> more. All we gotta do is pressure the publishers, folks.
> Sinboy
Yeah, but do you really think that we want to FORCE an author to write
these books - I find that the best books are the originals - the books
that the author wished to write rather than those which are written
purely as an income getter.
(Yeah, I know, money is never out of the equation entirely, but I do
think that some authors just push later books out merely to get the
income, rather than provide themselves with challenges.)
I absolutely loved the Daughter/Servant/Mistress of the empire series
(as I did for all of the REF books so far, particularly Magician and
Faerie Tale) but would not like to see the series deteriorate because
the author was 'pressured' into writing more when they had no real want
to do it for themselves.

(Hope I am not offending anyone here) As an example, I found the first
three DUNE books fantastic and from then on more and more obscure. I,
personally, did not enjoy the later books in the DUNE series.

Rod

Matthew Simpkin

Oct 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/25/96

sin...@netcom.com (Joshua Jasper) wrote:

>In article <325F45...@ozemail.com.au>,

> Well, Chalker's latest well world books were quite good, so it
>isn't always a bad idea. I don't think Feist would put his name on crap
>books anyway.
> Sinboy

I found the Daughter of the Empire series fantastic, and if you
enjoyed it too, surprisingly enough I think you might enjoy James
Clavell's Shogun. I know it sounds odd but the books are strangely
similar. Give it a try if you are looking for something meaty.

-Matt

Matthew Simpkin >>> m...@tthew.demon.co.uk/simp...@apci.com <<<
"When your deepest thoughts are broken, keep on dreamin' boy,
because when you stop dreamin' its time to die." bLiNd MeLoN