NW tune for "rise up"

BrideXIII

Nov 6, 2002, 2:01:04 PM11/6/02
Spoiler space just in case

I have been asked by a friend to ask on here if anyone knows if there is a
tune that goes with the "rise up" military/revolutionary song? seems every
time she reads it she has this nagging sense she needs to sing along :) and
to be honest I can see her point.

--
BrideXIII

"There is only one kind of witch " said Granny Weatherwax "and we're it!"
Terry Pratchett

www.the-cauldron.net

Sylvan

Nov 8, 2002, 7:11:00 AM11/8/02
"BrideXIII" <morg...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Spoiler space just in case

> I have been asked by a friend to ask on here if anyone knows if there is a
> tune that goes with the "rise up" military/revolutionary song? seems every
> time she reads it she has this nagging sense she needs to sing along :) and
> to be honest I can see her point.

Make one up yourself! It's not too difficult to find a tune that seems
appropriate. ;)
--
Sylvan
http://www.webcomics.org

BrideXIII

Nov 8, 2002, 10:56:12 AM11/8/02

"Sylvan" <psi...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
ROFL well I would but that would necessitate singing it to my friend, and as
I have a voice like a cracked bell? I think not.
I think what she was asking was if it was based on a known tune , so I just
thought I would ask all the professionals on here
--
BrideXIII

"There is only one kind of witch " said Granny Weatherwax "and we're it!"
Terry Pratchett

www.the-cauldron.net;)

Terry Pratchett

Nov 9, 2002, 4:11:02 AM11/9/02
In article <w8Ry9.1170$Dl2.1...@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net>,
BrideXIII <morg...@ntlworld.com> writes

>> > Spoiler space just in case

>ROFL well I would but that would necessitate singing it to my friend, and as
>I have a voice like a cracked bell? I think not.
>I think what she was asking was if it was based on a known tune , so I just
>thought I would ask all the professionals on here

I remember a kid at primary school singing something like it, and I
tracked down another version in the 1920s -- can't find any provenance
for it anywhere, and consensus of opinion is that it may be a WW1 trench
song which became an early version of what are now known as 'Rugby
songs.' Whatever the tune, it should be simple and swing along. it's
only 'sad' in context.

Do not Google on 'all the little angels'. Trust me.

--
Terry Pratchett

BrideXIII

Matthew Blissett

Nov 9, 2002, 5:08:32 PM11/9/02
On afp and abp!

Terry Pratchett had time to say:

Pretty spoiler space for those with smiley pictures
:-(*)
;-(*)
:)))
:))
:)
:-)))
:-))
:-)
*g*
*G*
<g>
:(((
:((
:(
:-(((
:-((
:-(
:-p
:-P
:-r
;)))
;))
;)
;-)))
;-))
;-)
8-o
8-O
;(
;-(
:D
:-D
*vbg*
<vbg>
:-||
:-II
:-@
%-(
oo-
:-?
8-)
]-I
lol
LOL
rofl
ROFL
rotfl
ROTFL
<eg>
*eg*
:o)
;o)

:-)
:-(
:-|
:o)
8-)
:-D
<snip>
Where did the tune to 'Rise up' come from?

> I remember a kid at primary school singing something like it, and I
> tracked down another version in the 1920s -- can't find any provenance
> for it anywhere, and consensus of opinion is that it may be a WW1
> trench song which became an early version of what are now known as
> 'Rugby songs.' Whatever the tune, it should be simple and swing
> along. it's only 'sad' in context.
>
> Do not Google on 'all the little angels'. Trust me.

That's *sooo* sad. :,-((
*DO NOT* Google for 'all the little angels' unless you want to feel really
bad.

Anyway,

What are all the words or can we make some more words?
Page 278

All The Little Angels

All the little angels rise up, rise up,
All the little angels rise up high.

How do they rise up, rise up, rise up?
How do they rise up, rise up high?

They rise /heads/ up, /heads/ up, /heads/ up,
They rise /heads/ up, heads up high.

All the little angels rise up, rise up,
All the little angels rise up high.

How do they rise up, rise up, rise up?
How do they rise up, rise up high?

They rise /knees/ up, /knees/ up, /knees/ up,
They rise /knees/ up, knees up high.

All the little angels rise up, rise up,
All the little angels rise up high.

How do they rise up, rise up, rise up?
How do they rise up, rise up high?

They rise /ARSE/ up, /arse/ up, /arse/ up,
They rise /arse/ up, arseup high.

See how they rise up, rise up, rise up,
See how they rise up, rise up high. :,-(

I really like this song. Don't spoil it, anyone, please.

--
Matt

Torak

Nov 9, 2002, 6:31:21 PM11/9/02
"Matthew Blissett" <mattbl...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I didn't see anything *sad* there, just a whole lot of what appeared to be
rather unpleasant posts. I decided not to delve into the matter any
further - what was I *supposed* to find?

pia

Nov 9, 2002, 6:48:06 PM11/9/02

I made a tune for it...but i don't know it the notations are correct,
because I haven't really studied music ever.

All the lit- tle an-gels rise up, rise up,
a# d’# c’# d’# c’# a# g# f d# A#

All the lit- tle an-gels rise up high.
a# d’# c’# d’# c’# a# g# f a#

Ho-ow do they rise up, rise up, rise up?
a# d’# c’# d’# c’# a# g# f d# A#

Ho-ow do they rise up, rise up high?
a# d’# c’# d’# c’# a# g# f a#

They rise heads up, heads up, heads up,
d# f# a# f# b g# d’# d#

They rise heads up, heads up high
d# f# a# f# d’# f# d#

pia

jester

Nov 10, 2002, 6:19:34 AM11/10/02
[note x-post]

You know, I can get the first bit to fit to a slowed down version of the
Inspector Gadget theme tune.

[followups about cartoons etc to somewhere other than abp, please]

--
Andy Brown
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of

Nick

Nov 10, 2002, 7:09:43 AM11/10/02
<snip>

> > That's *sooo* sad. :,-((
> > *DO NOT* Google for 'all the little angels' unless you want to feel
really
> > bad.
>
> I didn't see anything *sad* there, just a whole lot of what appeared to be
> rather unpleasant posts. I decided not to delve into the matter any
> further - what was I *supposed* to find?

Search on normal google, not google groups.

Torak

Nov 10, 2002, 10:04:52 AM11/10/02
"Nick" <ni...@nick8325.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

I see what you mean. Didn't feel bad about it, though - I had nothing to do
with their deaths, why beat myself up about it?

(Once again, on reading over that, I come across as flippant. It's not meant
that way; I have a rather strange approach, based on the idea that there's
enough misery in the world already. Thus, with all of it being reported in
the medium of your choice, everyone else starts feeling miserable by proxy.
My position's always been that I've got my own problems, I don't need other
peoples' as well - if it doesn't concern me, and I can't do anything about
it, why should it affect me?

(As such, I often sound rather insensitive, but... well, just consider this
an apology in advance if I offended anyone.)

The one thing I found odd was this assertion, on one of the pages linked to:

"If a child, man or a women dies at the hands of another
human being, they are murdered, therefore the person that
killed them is called a murderer."

I'd disagree with that. Not everyone who kills someone is a murderer. For
instance, if I or someone I know was being attacked, I think I would be
quite capable of doing whatever was necessary to incapacitate the attacker;
I might be devastated afterwards, but I'd be sure I'd done the right thing
if it saved someone I care about. But that wouldn't be murder - that would
be self-defence, or possibly manslaughter.

Similarly, while I was in the Air Force I was trained to operate in ground
combat; if I had to, I might have to kill. At the moment, of course, I'd say
I would be killing to defend my country, but in the field idealism goes out
the window. As someone said, "It's not about dying for your country, it's
about making the other poor sod die for his." Because ultimately, it's a
matter of taking them down before they take you down.

That last paragraph sounds really wrong, but I suppose it's just how you
start thinking after a while in the military. Civilians very rarely
understand the realities of war (I'm pretty sure I don't either, having
(thank heavens) never had to enter actual combat); it's not glamorous, and
the vast majority of soldiers don't enjoy killing. But they do it because
they have to; it's you or the other guy.

I must be sounding pretty weird now, I suppose. Oh well.

David Harcombe

Nov 10, 2002, 1:47:08 PM11/10/02
On Sun, 10 Nov 2002 15:04:52 -0000
"Torak" <a.w.m...@durham.ac.uk> wrote:

<snip>

> I must be sounding pretty weird now, I suppose. Oh well.

Not at all. In fact I heartily concur. Unless that makes me weird too...

--
David Harcombe
David.H...@bigfoot.com

Matthew Blissett

Nov 10, 2002, 4:00:52 PM11/10/02
Spoiler below

Torak cackled and said:
> "Nick" <ni...@nick8325.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> <snip>

Hey, *I* said this, and someone dodn't put my name at the top. Hmph.

<snip>

>> Search on normal google, not google groups.
>
> I see what you mean. Didn't feel bad about it, though - I had nothing
> to do with their deaths, why beat myself up about it?

Well, I felt sad for the Watchmen when it said "They're remembering who
they're not singing it with", and those people didn't even exist, but I can
understand how they would feel, and I can understand how I'd feel if another
brother of sister of mine died, or a young child that I knew died.

--
Matt

Torak

Nov 10, 2002, 8:19:49 PM11/10/02
> Torak cackled and said:

Well, I didn't really cackle...

> > "Nick" <ni...@nick8325.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> <snip>
>
> Hey, *I* said this, and someone dodn't put my name at the top. Hmph.

> <snip>
> >> Search on normal google, not google groups.
> >
> > I see what you mean. Didn't feel bad about it, though - I had nothing
> > to do with their deaths, why beat myself up about it?
>

> understand how they would feel, and I can understand how I'd feel if
another
> brother of sister of mine died, or a young child that I knew died.

Agreed - I can understand it, but since I don't know them I have no need to
understand it. I can't really explain it any better than I've already tried
in another post.