[R] Special editions

8 views
Skip to first unread message

Terry Pratchett

unread,
Mar 25, 2001, 4:32:12 PM3/25/01
to
I've had just enough letters and e-mails about this over the past year
to think it worth testing the water.

Is there a real desire out there for special, limited editions of the DW
books? We're talking leather binding, embossing, nice paper, maybe even
some internal illustrations.

It's not something that exercises my mind much, since I'm automatically
in favour of unlimited editions. Just to concentrate the mind, my
agent, who really knows about this stuff, says that typically such an
edition, depending on numbers and quality, could be in the 2-300 quid
mark. I said that I expected that DW fans would want something that
looked as though it was from the shelves of UU, and he winced and said
'that'll make it a little more expensive...'
--
Terry Pratchett

Eric A. Seiden

unread,
Mar 25, 2001, 8:20:21 PM3/25/01
to
My US two cents (payable in Euros if you prefer):

Yes, I think there's a market for it. I know lots of people who collect
them. The lot of 'em have rocks in their heads but if you've got money to
burn and it makes you happy....

I'll stick with your standard hardback (and only 'cause I am FAR too
impatient to wait for paperback)

-- E

--
==============================================================================
"It's a dog eat dog world, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear." -- Norm
Administrator NHL Panthers and Panthers Affiliates/Prospects,mailing lists
. "Open up your mind, let your fantasies unwind." -- Opera Ghost
"Imagine there's no heaven; it's easy if you try." -- John Lennon
Pro-Entropy BBS 305-994-3578 (56K/v90) http://www.darsys.com

Jennifer en Reinier Sjouw

unread,
Mar 26, 2001, 2:36:45 AM3/26/01
to
Terry asked

>Is there a real desire out there for special, limited editions of
the DW
>books? We're talking leather binding, embossing, nice paper, maybe
even
>some internal illustrations.
>
>It's not something that exercises my mind much, since I'm
automatically
>in favour of unlimited editions. Just to concentrate the mind, my
>agent, who really knows about this stuff, says that typically such
an
>edition, depending on numbers and quality, could be in the 2-300
quid
>mark. I said that I expected that DW fans would want something
that
>looked as though it was from the shelves of UU, and he winced and
said
>'that'll make it a little more expensive...'
>Eric A. Seiden <dar...@pro-entropy.cbbs.cts.com> answered

>> My US two cents (payable in Euros if you prefer):
>>
>> Yes, I think there's a market for it. I know lots of people who
collect
>> them. The lot of 'em have rocks in their heads but if you've got
money to
>> burn and it makes you happy....
>>
>> I'll stick with your standard hardback (and only 'cause I am
>> FAR too impatient to wait for paperback)
>>

Which probably is much like my own opinion. Apart from
the fact that I _don't_ know lots of people who prefer paying
200 UKP for a single book. But I'm sure there are some
people out there who do.

Much as I like books, and good books, and nice paper,
and properly bound books (as oposed to what is a
hardcover nowadays), I don't think I'd be buying
such a book until my children have grown up and can
take care of themselves. And my firstborn is just
four months old.

HTH, HAND,

Reinier.


mule

unread,
Mar 26, 2001, 2:37:31 AM3/26/01
to
Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in article
<STx92vAc...@unseen.demon.co.uk>:

Too rich for me. I occasionally splash out on a folio edition of
some book I've always wanted to own, but never a book I've already
got. And the hardback discworld's are good enough to last.

Which doesn't mean to say there aren't thousands of others who'd
jump at the chance of owning such.

mule
--
"jewels and binoculars hang from the head of the mule"
Bob Dylan

elfin

unread,
Mar 26, 2001, 4:27:54 AM3/26/01
to
Terry Pratchett wrote

> I've had just enough letters and e-mails about this
> over the past year to think it worth testing the water.

You get letters and emails?

> Is there a real desire out there for special, limited
> editions of the DW books? We're talking leather
> binding, embossing, nice paper, maybe even
> some internal illustrations.

Desire yes, want yes, afford no. There are undoubtedly people out there
that could afford these special editions. There are people out there
that would buy them, but not all your readers will be able to afford
them. *IF* it's going to be done, that limited editions are the way to
go. I would even go as far to guess that the first edition published
would be sold out before it has even been produced.

> It's not something that exercises my mind much,
> since I'm automatically in favour of unlimited editions.
> Just to concentrate the mind, my agent, who really
> knows about this stuff, says that typically such an
> edition, depending on numbers and quality, could
> be in the 2-300 quid mark. I said that I expected that
> DW fans would want something that looked as
> though it was from the shelves of UU, and he winced
> and said 'that'll make it a little more expensive...'

can I just go away and drool in private. I may collect everything I can
afford, but this will be way out of my reach.

I'll wait for your autobiography instead....

elfin
--
*sobbing quietly in the corner*

Martin Wells

unread,
Mar 26, 2001, 6:07:33 AM3/26/01
to
I would certainly buy them. If I was quick enough that it - every collector
and book seller in the land would snap em up then flog em for twice the
price. The Harry Potter books already come in so many different editions and
covers that its quite surprising. I went to a book store in Tokyo the other
week and saw about 4 or 5 different editions of each book. If the Discworld
books came in more than just the orginal hardback then later paperback it
would just fuel the profits of first edition specialists more than anything
else. However, having said that, to own such a copy would certainly be a
goal for me as a 'serious' collector of Mr Pratchetts's* written works
(which I collect for my fun and enjoyment and not for selling!). What the
hell, who wants to live forever? Let's see some limited editions and watch
the mayhem ensue!

Martin

Eric A. Seiden <dar...@pro-entropy.cbbs.cts.com> wrote in message
news:cp6...@pro-entropy.cbbs.cts.com...

Richard Bos

unread,
Mar 26, 2001, 6:59:13 AM3/26/01
to
Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Is there a real desire out there for special, limited editions of the DW
> books? We're talking leather binding, embossing, nice paper, maybe even
> some internal illustrations.
>
> It's not something that exercises my mind much, since I'm automatically
> in favour of unlimited editions. Just to concentrate the mind, my
> agent, who really knows about this stuff, says that typically such an
> edition, depending on numbers and quality, could be in the 2-300 quid
> mark. I said that I expected that DW fans would want something that
> looked as though it was from the shelves of UU, and he winced and said
> 'that'll make it a little more expensive...'

Let's put it this way... if I ever get to be really, really filthy rich,
and can afford to use EUR100 bills to wrap my sandwiches in, this is
probably one of the luxuries I'll be very happy indeed to shell out for.
But while I remain merely not poor, I prefer to buy more books rather
than prettier-bound ones.
I think there'll be a market for these, then; but I also think it will
be small.

Richard

Jens Kleine

unread,
Mar 26, 2001, 7:10:38 AM3/26/01
to
"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Is there a real desire out there for special, limited editions of
the DW
> books? We're talking leather binding, embossing, nice paper, maybe
even
> some internal illustrations.

Sounds wonderful but impayable to people like me.
If I compare the UK price and the German one: I would pay a sixt of
the UK hardback (17 Pounds) price here in Germany (about 3.50 Pounds)
(but I'm not patient enough to wait till they come out here).

> Just to concentrate the mind, my
> agent, who really knows about this stuff, says that typically such
an
> edition, depending on numbers and quality, could be in the 2-300
quid
> mark.

That's a bit more than the 17 Pounds and a lot of money to spend for
one book (with that amount of money I would be able to buy all the
missing UK hardbacks (yes, I'm such a fool I buy the books in English
and in German)).

The feeling to know that there are such books and not to have one of
them would be a torture suitable for Bill Gates not for your fans.

JK


Sockii

unread,
Mar 26, 2001, 7:41:14 AM3/26/01
to
elfin wrote:

[...]


> I'll wait for your autobiography instead....
>
> elfin
> --
> *sobbing quietly in the corner*

*joins elfin in the corner, likewise sobbing*

Jens Kleine

unread,
Mar 26, 2001, 8:35:03 AM3/26/01
to
"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Is there a real desire out there for special, limited editions of
the DW
> books? We're talking leather binding, embossing, nice paper, maybe
even
> some internal illustrations.

One large book containing ALL your Discworld stories (the 25 novels
and the 3 short stories) would be a good and better selling idea.
I (a poor student) would pay let's say up to 500 Euro to get one. (300
would be even better ;-) )

JK


James Morrissey

unread,
Mar 26, 2001, 11:25:36 AM3/26/01
to
Certainly the idea of an animatronic UU book that pulled at it's chain and
read me is appealing but I suspect it will never be a reality . . . as for
£200+ novels I fail to see how any author could be so cruel as to unleash a
£5000 burden on his collectors. Put simple my mother was aghast at the
prospect of a £40 illustrated Eric :-)

What I would shell out gladly for, though, is illustrated editions of the
novels. By Paul Kidby or similiar, for preference, as it's no secret that by
far the wackiest part of Discworld is the cover art. Might be worth a shot .
. . ?

JQM,PM
ICQ: 109269677
"I don't need you to worry for me 'cause I'm alright
Go ahead with your own life, leave me alone . . ."


B. R. Ashley

unread,
Mar 26, 2001, 12:18:37 PM3/26/01
to
I'm afraid I must agree with mule, Terry -- nothing against your
deathless prose, but if I had that kind of money I'd already have
invested in a Storisende or Kalki edition of the complete works of James
Branch Cabell. (*Jurgen* is the least important of his books IMHO; the
rest are practically unobtainable anymore.)

Terry Pratchett

unread,
Mar 26, 2001, 12:41:34 PM3/26/01
to
In article <99ngj0$7io$01$1...@news.t-online.com>, Jens Kleine
<Jens-...@Pratchett-Fanclub.de> writes

>"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> Is there a real desire out there for special, limited editions of
>the DW
>> books? We're talking leather binding, embossing, nice paper, maybe
>even
>> some internal illustrations.
>
>One large book containing ALL your Discworld stories (the 25 novels
>and the 3 short stories) would be a good and better selling idea.


It would have to be a *very* large book, and would be out of date within
months.

I'm getting some interesting emails about this. There's not a lot in it
for me. But would I like to see the black leather version of Mort?
Sure. The problem is that if you price it too high then most of the fans
are out in the cold and it becomes truly a collectors' item, but if you
price it too low then all you'll get is, well, a decently-bound book
with fancy lettering on it, which isn't what any of us would have in
mind.

Some years back Transworld experimented with a carpet-bound edition for
the 25th anniversary of The Carpet People. They couldn't see how to
make it a profitable project, so I have the original. Limited edition,
1 of 1, signed by the author...
--
Terry Pratchett

jester

unread,
Mar 26, 2001, 1:37:10 PM3/26/01
to
[Note X-post & followup-To]

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 18:41:34 +0100, Terry Pratchett
<tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>Some years back Transworld experimented with a carpet-bound edition for
>the 25th anniversary of The Carpet People. They couldn't see how to
>make it a profitable project, so I have the original. Limited edition,
>1 of 1, signed by the author...

would have been worth something except for that.

--
Andy Brown

SSiriennna

unread,
Mar 26, 2001, 2:26:38 PM3/26/01
to

Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:STx92vAc...@unseen.demon.co.uk...

>
> Is there a real desire out there for special, limited editions of the DW
> books? We're talking leather binding, embossing, nice paper, maybe even
> some internal illustrations.
>
. I said that I expected that DW fans would want something that
> looked as though it was from the shelves of UU, and he winced and said
> 'that'll make it a little more expensive...'

I must admit I wouldn't buy ALL of them (Gods forbid!) but I could see
myself buying my *favourites* in a nice UU embossed outer etc ...

Otherwise, I'd agree with other people posting to this thread - people
*will* buy them.

HTH


--
Ssirienna

12- Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy
and taste good with ketchup.
AFEfiance to BelZedar (the Phoenix-like!!!)
AFE d+ m++ ot+ l afec+ a++ fs-

Bluebottle

unread,
Mar 26, 2001, 2:46:12 PM3/26/01
to
"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> I'm getting some interesting emails about this. There's not a lot
> in it for me. But would I like to see the black leather version of
> Mort? Sure. The problem is that if you price it too high then most
> of the fans are out in the cold and it becomes truly a collectors'
> item, but if you price it too low then all you'll get is, well, a
> decently-bound book with fancy lettering on it, which isn't what any
> of us would have in mind.

There are some affordable limited editions out there, the only problem
is that I think they're pretty mass produced with a given value of
'limited'.

An example is Stephen King books which (for a while anyway) were
brought out in the UK in a 'special limited edition' priced at only
30UKP. These were cloth bound hardbacks in a cloth bound slipcase
with a *printed* signature on the bookplate, but they lacked any form
of numbering. I know it was tricky to get hold of one where I lived
at the time (only saw one or two copies of each book in the town shops
which disappeared pretty quickly) but that's probably an area thang.

Julie
--
I talk to the trees, that's why they put me away....


Eric Jarvis

unread,
Mar 26, 2001, 3:07:33 PM3/26/01
to

*trying not to grin whilst offering Sockii and elfin some
consolatory chocolate*

I'm not really in the market for special editions...I buy books for
the words mostly...however, get the right artist doing the
illustrations and it might tempt me even at that price...it'd need
to be omnibus editions though...otherwise it strikes me as we are
talking thousands of pounds over time


--
eric - afprelationships in headers
"money can't buy you love, but sometimes dinner
is much more important"

David Chapman

unread,
Mar 26, 2001, 3:35:44 PM3/26/01
to
"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:532J$tAO93...@unseen.demon.co.uk...

> Some years back Transworld experimented with a carpet-bound edition
for
> the 25th anniversary of The Carpet People. They couldn't see how
to
> make it a profitable project, so I have the original. Limited
edition,
> 1 of 1, signed by the author...

r u going to put it on ebay? that would be kewl!

--
These things are not the beliefs of madmen
but the beliefs of sane men and women trying
desperately, not to preserve the status quo,
but just to find the fucking thing.


Bapst Family

unread,
Mar 26, 2001, 4:02:22 PM3/26/01
to

"Jens Kleine" <Jens-...@Pratchett-Fanclub.de> wrote in message
news:99ngj0$7io$01$1...@news.t-online.com...
> "Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> One large book containing ALL your Discworld stories (the 25 novels

But... I hope you mean several volumes of all books (Pratchett Encyclopedia)
because one thing of twenty five books would have to be specially delivered
to your house via a truck. Either that or you would need a magnifying glass
to read it.
As for the special editions, I have a hard enough time buying one normal
hardcover (The Truth).
-David B


MEG

unread,
Mar 26, 2001, 4:06:49 PM3/26/01
to
"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:STx92vAc...@unseen.demon.co.uk...

> Is there a real desire out there for special, limited editions of the DW
> books? We're talking leather binding, embossing, nice paper, maybe even
> some internal illustrations.

Oh Ghod! I have drool in my keyboard.
Could you hold on for about - ooh - ten years?
That way, I can send the children out to work; have some investments mature;
quit work and build a proper library with real bookshelves that don't bow and
one of them ladders on wheels. There would be a big reading desk with a
nadjustable lamp, two large leather chairs near the window, huge paintings on
the walls by various Discworld artists and an enormous display area for one of
Bernard's Universities and some Clarecraft figures. A lady would come in and
dust every day.
Of course, I'd have to move house.
In ten years, I'd also have 520 more chances of winning the lottery [1].

Seriously, I believe there *is* a real desire for these special special
editions. You only need to experience the fervour generated by an auction of one
of the early Discworld first editions to appreciate that desire.

[1] And considerably more chance of being dead.

- MEG

--
* Ever considered going to a UK Discworld Convention? *
* "2002: A Discworld Odyssey" * August 16th-19th, 2002 - *
* Web: http://www.dwcon.org/ * Email: in...@dwcon.org *


Kalle Lintinen

unread,
Mar 26, 2001, 4:21:44 PM3/26/01
to

David Chapman wrote:

> "Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:532J$tAO93...@unseen.demon.co.uk...
>
> > Some years back Transworld experimented with a carpet-bound edition
> for
> > the 25th anniversary of The Carpet People. They couldn't see how
> to
> > make it a profitable project, so I have the original. Limited
> edition,
> > 1 of 1, signed by the author...
>
> r u going to put it on ebay? that would be kewl!

I just can't imagine Pterry putting it on ebay, it's not as if he'd need
the money. And if you do sell it on ebay it'll just end up on some
collectors hands, who'se only intention is to sell it forward. My ideal
use for it would be as a special gift or similar, preferably to me ;-).
And to the point of the limited editions. I would really be tempted to
put some money into such a copy of Hogfather for example. It should be a
bit under 100£, though (I'm basically a poor student, I just have some
money to spare).

KalEl

Jens Kleine

unread,
Mar 26, 2001, 4:31:15 PM3/26/01
to
"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> It would have to be a *very* large book, and would be out of date
within
> months.

We calculated that out *G*

There are old DW novels with let's say 200 pages (like in Death
Trilogy) and the new novels with 300 pages. So let's say 250 page a
book (Eric is very short so we can add the short stories here). A
normal is about 14cm*20cm that makes 280cm² a page. So if the new
special edition is like a book in the UU would be about 30cm*40cm that
would make 4.3 times the size of the normal pages.
So: 25 novels with 250 pages makes 6250 pages. Dividated through 4.3
makes nearly 1500 pages.
That (I just searched for the high of a paper) would be a book 7.5 cm
thick (perhaps I have thin paper here).
Doesn't sound impossible to me.
Out of date wouldn't be a problem. A DW novel is never out of date ;-)

JK


Molehill

unread,
Mar 26, 2001, 4:47:18 PM3/26/01
to
What about a volume set? I have a 3 volume set of the complete works of
Shakespeare. Small type though.......

What about say a seven volume set, with the books split into 4 per volume
(inc. shorts, annotations or anything else that will fit)? Leather bound
etc. how much would the whole (boxed?) set cost, roughly?

"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:532J$tAO93...@unseen.demon.co.uk...

DinkiPixie

unread,
Mar 26, 2001, 6:16:25 PM3/26/01
to
In article <STx92vAc...@unseen.demon.co.uk>, Terry Pratchett
<tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> writes
<snip>

>Is there a real desire out there for special, limited editions of the DW
>books? We're talking leather binding, embossing, nice paper, maybe even
>some internal illustrations.

I couldn't afford a complete set and wouldn't know how to decide on just
one. What would be nice is an example of the books in UU library. With
funny bits, perhaps. Then you could go to town on binding and
illustration. I would buy that.
--
Angela Touchstone

y2kshack

unread,
Mar 26, 2001, 10:09:15 PM3/26/01
to

Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

news:STx92vAc...@unseen.demon.co.uk...


> I've had just enough letters and e-mails about this over the past
year
> to think it worth testing the water.
>
> Is there a real desire out there for special, limited editions of
the DW
> books? We're talking leather binding, embossing, nice paper,
maybe even
> some internal illustrations.
>

<snip>

I'd love 'em, but I suspect that my wife ... and the computer that
looks after my bank account ... would object.

One way round this would be to offer them 'on subscription' ...
small <g> monthly payments by direct debit ... limited edition
(numbered?) books released at reasonable intervals ... the ability
to choose whether to accept each volume ... I'm sure you get the
picture ... (which, on reflection sounds remarkably like RDA
marketing <g>, although such schemes were, I think, quite common in
times past).

I'm sure they would be popular, and this way more of us may be able
to indulge.


Colin

Matthew Hambley

unread,
Mar 26, 2001, 12:35:37 PM3/26/01
to
In message <99ngj0$7io$01$1...@news.t-online.com>
"Jens Kleine" <Jens-...@Pratchett-Fanclub.de> wrote:

I have to disagree. I think it would be a terrible idea. The 6 books
(plus appendices) in one volume of The Lord of the Rings is bad enough for
tearing in two down the middle. An all-in-one Discworld would be
completely unmanagable.

--
(\/)atthew Hambley ----------------\ If something's worth doing it's worth
\ doing badly until you can learn to
mat...@aether.demon.co.uk \ do it well.
http://www.aether.demon.co.uk/ \-----------------------------------

Terry Pratchett

unread,
Mar 27, 2001, 2:47:08 AM3/27/01
to
In article <99ocfp$mh3$06$1...@news.t-online.com>, Jens Kleine
<Jens-...@Pratchett-Fanclub.de> writes

>"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> It would have to be a *very* large book, and would be out of date
>within
>> months.
>
>We calculated that out *G*
>
>There are old DW novels with let's say 200 pages (like in Death
>Trilogy) and the new novels with 300 pages.

The size of a DW book is more to do with production decisions than the
actual word count. TLF was only about 75,000 words, I think, but apart
from that they've mostly come in between 85-100,000 words.

--
Terry Pratchett

Jenny Radcliffe

unread,
Mar 27, 2001, 3:30:15 AM3/27/01
to
Kalle Lintinen <kalle.l...@tut.fi> wrote
> David Chapman wrote:

> > "Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote


> > > Some years back Transworld experimented with a carpet-bound edition
> > > for the 25th anniversary of The Carpet People. They couldn't see
> > > how to make it a profitable project, so I have the original. Limited
> > > edition, 1 of 1, signed by the author...
> > r u going to put it on ebay? that would be kewl!
> I just can't imagine Pterry putting it on ebay, it's not as if he'd need
> the money. And if you do sell it on ebay it'll just end up on some
> collectors hands, who'se only intention is to sell it forward. My ideal
> use for it would be as a special gift or similar, preferably to me ;-).
> And to the point of the limited editions. I would really be tempted to
> put some money into such a copy of Hogfather for example. It should be a
> bit under 100£, though (I'm basically a poor student, I just have some
> money to spare).

Um, I really think David *must* have been being sarcastic, there.


--
"I'm going to make one anyway" - Edwin Brady


Jens Kleine

unread,
Mar 27, 2001, 7:17:20 AM3/27/01
to
"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> The size of a DW book is more to do with production decisions than
the
> actual word count. TLF was only about 75,000 words, I think, but
apart
> from that they've mostly come in between 85-100,000 words.

That would support my idea. I could be possible to make one book with
all the stories.
Perhaps I have the wrong image in my mind. If I try to imagine a book
in the UU library I see a huge and thick and yellowed book.

JK


Stuart Ballard

unread,
Mar 27, 2001, 9:50:42 AM3/27/01
to
Matthew Hambley wrote:
>
> I have to disagree. I think it would be a terrible idea. The 6 books
> (plus appendices) in one volume of The Lord of the Rings is bad enough for
> tearing in two down the middle. An all-in-one Discworld would be
> completely unmanagable.

I don't think that, if such a book *were* created, it would be really
intended to read on a regular (or even occasional) basis.

The picture I have is of a huge, encyclopaedic volume, the size of an A3
sheet of paper and close to 10cm thick, with just the covers accounting
for at least a cm of that. The sort of grimoire that you can imagine the
Octavo[1][2] living in. It would probably come with a chain, to hold it
down. It would certainly not be marketted to people who don't already
have all the books in one form or another anyway...

I think that if you *were* to create such a book, it might actually do
well enough to be comfortably profitable: 100-200 pounds for a *single*
book is a lot[3], but 100-200 pounds for 24(?) books is actually cheaper
than buying all the individual hardbacks.

Stuart.

[1] Is that spelt right? I don't have TCoM or TLF to hand.
[2] I say "living in" deliberately; the Octavo seemed to be not so much
a book as some Things that lived inside a book...
[3] A lot of a lot, in fact.

David Deephanphongs

unread,
Mar 26, 2001, 2:26:35 AM3/26/01
to
On Sun, 25 Mar 2001 22:32:12 +0100, Terry Pratchett wrote:
>I've had just enough letters and e-mails about this over the past year
>to think it worth testing the water.
>
>Is there a real desire out there for special, limited editions of the DW
>books? We're talking leather binding, embossing, nice paper, maybe even
>some internal illustrations.
<snip>

>edition, depending on numbers and quality, could be in the 2-300 quid

>mark. I said that I expected that DW fans would want something that
<snip>

If I understand what a quid is, then a special edition would cost
between 200 and 300 pounds, or about $300-450 US?

I'd certainly be willing to pay $50-60, but $300 is about 12 hardcovers,
or over 40 paperback books... too rich for my blood.


>Terry Pratchett


Dave

--
R. P. Tyler was not, however, satisfied simply with being vouchsafed the
difference between right and wrong. He felt it his bounden duty to tell the
world.
-- (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)

Charles A Lieberman

unread,
Mar 27, 2001, 3:51:25 PM3/27/01
to
Terry Pratchett Sun, 25 Mar 2001 22:32:12 +0100
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=<STx92vAc...@unseen.demon.co.uk>

> I said that I expected that DW fans would want something that
>looked as though it was from the shelves of UU, and he winced and said
>'that'll make it a little more expensive...'

Sure, 'cause of all the groaning and shuddering.

Seriously, I think it's a great idea conceptually, but I have neither
the shelf space nor the income[1], and I generally buy books for the
content rather than the appearance -- I just want the thing to last 50
or 60 years without fading or falling apart. Besides, I've passed up the
chance to buy even the UK edition of a book I already have the US ed of.
Not that I can't see the appeal.

[1] I wonder, if I got a job with the New York Post, if I could get part
of my salary in DW books.
--
Charles A. Lieberman Brooklyn, NY, USA
AFP Code 2.0 AGo/Li-US d(--) s: a-- U++>+ R F++ h- P! OS--:- C++ M-
!pp L(+) Ia W- c B Cn CC? PT--->++ Pu78 !5 !X MT++ e+>++ r y+* end
http://calieber.tripod.com/home.html

David Deephanphongs

unread,
Mar 27, 2001, 3:09:04 AM3/27/01
to
On 26 Mar 2001 19:46:12 GMT, Bluebottle wrote:
>"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> I'm getting some interesting emails about this. There's not a lot
>> in it for me. But would I like to see the black leather version of
>> Mort? Sure. The problem is that if you price it too high then most
>> of the fans are out in the cold and it becomes truly a collectors'
>> item, but if you price it too low then all you'll get is, well, a
>> decently-bound book with fancy lettering on it, which isn't what any
>> of us would have in mind.
>
>There are some affordable limited editions out there, the only problem
>is that I think they're pretty mass produced with a given value of
>'limited'.

IMHO, As long as the books are nice, the less 'limited' the better
(it means I'll actually have the possibility of getting one, all the way
over here in the US).

I would think that you could get away with a pretty nice book for
$100 or so - the "Limited edition" Douglas Adams compendium (faux black
leather, (faux?)gilt-edged pages) was under $40...

There's a thought, actually.. If there were a couple books combined, it
would be more reasonable - e.g., you could have two Death volumes
(Mort + Reaper Man, Soul Music + Hogfather), or a stand-alone group
(Small Gods, Pyramids)... What would be best, though, would be a Nomes
special edition.

Dave

Ceryle Gaehl

unread,
Mar 28, 2001, 9:53:11 AM3/28/01
to

"David Deephanphongs" <dee...@telocity.com> wrote in message
news:LaCv6.8025$3g.26...@newsrump.sjc.telocity.net...

> <snip>
>
> If I understand what a quid is, then a special edition would cost
> between 200 and 300 pounds, or about $300-450 US?

Try australian dollars at the moment - it would means $600 plus for me.
While I would love to get one, even if they made it to australia, I couldn't
hope to afford it

>
> I'd certainly be willing to pay $50-60, but $300 is about 12 hardcovers,
> or over 40 paperback books... too rich for my blood.
>

Goes the same here

Ceryle
I only play with my computer on days ending in 'y'


Keith Jackson

unread,
Mar 28, 2001, 10:36:30 AM3/28/01
to
Matthew Hambley wrote:
>
> I have to disagree. I think it would be a terrible idea. The 6 books
> (plus appendices) in one volume of The Lord of the Rings is bad enough for
> tearing in two down the middle. An all-in-one Discworld would be
> completely unmanagable.

If you're going to pay a lot of money for a book, you're surely going to
want it to last for a very, very long time and it should keep its looks,
even if it's read regularly. Matthew's point about things getting too
thick is certainly valid. Apart from the book itself becoming too
cumbersome to be pleasant to handle - a not insignificant point given
it's a useful, not ornamental item - bindings eventually fail. We have a
family Bible that's now suffering badly. OK, its about 160 years old but
it's reached a point where several cracks have appeared in the spine and
we have to be terribly careful when handling it to minimise further
damage. Now I'm not suggesting that we'd buy a limited edition DW book
to pass onto our Great-grandchildren but wouldn't it be nice to think we
could?

The other thing no-one seems to have considered is why anyone would want
to spend this kind of money on a book they could buy for a tenth of the
price anyway. It would be more tempting *and* have a higher long-term
value if it were a full novel published either only in this form or
where the conventional editions came out a long time later. With
pre-orders and a monthly payment scheme I don't see why such a book
shouldn't be accessible to a fair number of us.

Keith

Jens Kleine

unread,
Mar 28, 2001, 10:58:25 AM3/28/01
to
"Keith Jackson" <Keith....@nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:
> If you're going to pay a lot of money for a book, you're surely
going to
> want it to last for a very, very long time and it should keep its
looks,
> even if it's read regularly. Matthew's point about things getting
too
> thick is certainly valid. Apart from the book itself becoming too
> cumbersome to be pleasant to handle - a not insignificant point
given
> it's a useful, not ornamental item - bindings eventually fail.

You really want to read such a book? I thought about looking for a
long time at it and then looking at it again and again and again ...
and perhaps touching it with gloves.... only perhaps!

JK


Suzi

unread,
Mar 28, 2001, 12:10:59 PM3/28/01
to
In article <3AC204FE...@nottingham.ac.uk>, Keith Jackson
(Keith....@nottingham.ac.uk) wibbled...

[Snip]


> The other thing no-one seems to have considered is why anyone would want
> to spend this kind of money on a book they could buy for a tenth of the
> price anyway. It would be more tempting *and* have a higher long-term
> value if it were a full novel published either only in this form or
> where the conventional editions came out a long time later. With
> pre-orders and a monthly payment scheme I don't see why such a book
> shouldn't be accessible to a fair number of us.

I think I'd agree that if it were a book *only* published in the
"limited edition" format then I'd be tempted, but otherwise anything
over £50 is an awful lot to pay for a book (and I'm not a sad enough
ankorak to consider buying it just for the sake of buying it - other
things are more important, like food, etc <g>)

Suzi

Donald Campbell

unread,
Mar 28, 2001, 12:30:13 PM3/28/01
to
In article <99p0ar$s1s$1...@neptunium.btinternet.com>,
"y2kshack" <y2ks...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>
>Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:STx92vAc...@unseen.demon.co.uk...
>> I've had just enough letters and e-mails about this over the past
>year
>> to think it worth testing the water.
>>
>> Is there a real desire out there for special, limited editions of
>the DW
>> books? We're talking leather binding, embossing, nice paper,
>maybe even
>> some internal illustrations.
>>
><snip>
>
>I'd love 'em, but I suspect that my wife ... and the computer that
>looks after my bank account ... would object.
>
>One way round this would be to offer them 'on subscription' ...
>small <g> monthly payments by direct debit

Heh. How about a "partworks" magazine?

New Discworld Magazine!
Collect the entire Works of Terry Pratchett!
Each month, you will get ONE PAGE from EACH of the wacky Discworld books
which you can place in your Discworld binders. *
Issue 1 includes Limited Edition Piece of Carpet and background on The
Carpet People.
Subscribe now! **

* 8.95 GPB each. Binder holds 7/8ths of a book.
** Because after three weeks no newsagent will carry it.

Anyway, back on topic...

I wouldn't go for a *very* special edition, but I would pay a bit extra for
a proper leather-bound edition of each book. With the RRPs of the
hardbacks getting close to 20GBP (and waiting a couple of weeks and finding
them for around a tenner) surely they can throw a bit of pigskin round some
good quality binding for say, 30 quid and actually sell it for that?

Donald.

--
La Rustimuna Stalcato
don...@atuin.demon.co.uk
"Resistance is useless!" said the superconducting Cyberman.

~arcana

unread,
Mar 28, 2001, 2:07:58 PM3/28/01
to

> Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> > I've had just enough letters and e-mails about this over the past
> year
> > to think it worth testing the water.
> >
> > Is there a real desire out there for special, limited editions of
> the DW
> > books? We're talking leather binding, embossing, nice paper,
> maybe even
> > some internal illustrations.
> >
> <snip>
We may not be able to afford 'em, but I sure would like to know they
existed. Gives me a reason to try and increase my income!

What I would like to see is affordable box sets I could give as Christmas
gifts, possibly grouped by focus - a Rincewind set, a Witches set, a Watch
set, etc. The box itself could be all spiffed up, with fairly basic
paperbacks (maybe illustrated) within. Some of my most beloved books as a
child were given to me in box sets like this (the "Narnia" books, and
"Little House on the Prairie").

What would be neat is a Discworld club with club-members editions; maps,
books, and tchochke. Hmm, what about interactive e-books? Sure would bring
all the footnotes alive!
--
Anon,
~arcana


Suzi

unread,
Mar 28, 2001, 4:38:59 PM3/28/01
to
In article <LmgrrLAn...@unseen.demon.co.uk>, Terry Pratchett
(tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk) wibbled...

> In article <MPG.152c2b6e9...@nntp.netcomuk.co.uk>, Suzi
> <su...@lspace.org> writes


> >I think I'd agree that if it were a book *only* published in the
> >"limited edition" format then I'd be tempted, but otherwise anything
> >over £50 is an awful lot to pay for a book (and I'm not a sad enough
> >ankorak to consider buying it just for the sake of buying it - other
> >things are more important, like food, etc <g>)
>

> I think that a full novel as a limited edition would be sick. What
> would be the *point?* Even if we're talking an edition of 5,000, the
> price would have to be seriously steep. Production costs per volume
> would be higher, quite apart from the intrinsic higher costs of
> bindings, etc. I suppose reprinting it X months later as a standard
> edition would remove some objections, but I'd still have misgivings.

It wouldn't need to be a novel though - the Octavo, or some other
"special" book was more the sort of thing I had in mind :-) That would
be no sicker as a limited edition than some of the other "limited" stuff
(non-book-items... UU springs to mind) that I've yearned for and haven't
got one of.

Suzi

Kalle Lintinen

unread,
Mar 28, 2001, 4:46:10 PM3/28/01
to

~arcana wrote:

Oy! This sound a bit too much like a ripoff scheme. It's been, up to now,
basically to fans by fans business (altough the number of fans have increased).
Think of Discworld becoming parallel to Star Wars with your onflatable Rincewind
dolls and 'Gaspode's ultimate dogfight XX' and all. The line I'd like to draw to
wound be a classy Movie. The sort with a good budget good actors and most
importantly a good screenplay. I'm not saying this should be done, but better
this than a hype.

KalEl

MEG

unread,
Mar 28, 2001, 5:42:00 PM3/28/01
to
"Suzi" <su...@lspace.org> wrote in message
news:MPG.152c6a3bc...@nntp.netcomuk.co.uk...

> In article <LmgrrLAn...@unseen.demon.co.uk>, Terry Pratchett
> (tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk) wibbled...
> > I think that a full novel as a limited edition would be sick. What
> > would be the *point?* Even if we're talking an edition of 5,000, the
> > price would have to be seriously steep. Production costs per volume
> > would be higher, quite apart from the intrinsic higher costs of
> > bindings, etc. I suppose reprinting it X months later as a standard
> > edition would remove some objections, but I'd still have misgivings.
>
> It wouldn't need to be a novel though - the Octavo, or some other
> "special" book was more the sort of thing I had in mind :-) That would
> be no sicker as a limited edition than some of the other "limited" stuff
> (non-book-items... UU springs to mind) that I've yearned for and haven't
> got one of.

Mmm... special book..

"Necrotelicomnicon"
"The Laws And Ordinances of The Cities of Ankh And Morpork"
"A Brief History of Discworld" - a sort of Timeline of the novels and their
settings (tho' maybe superfluous after Thief?)
"The Summoning of Dragons" by Malachite (sp?)
"The Encyclopaedia Discworldia" - a posh, up to date (!) version of the
companion
"Ankh Morpork to Agatean (or, better still, Trob) Dictionary "
"The Vimes / Ramkin Ancestry" or "Twurp's Peerage"

Lots of possibilities there.

Terry Pratchett

unread,
Mar 28, 2001, 2:13:43 PM3/28/01
to
>I think I'd agree that if it were a book *only* published in the
>"limited edition" format then I'd be tempted, but otherwise anything
>over £50 is an awful lot to pay for a book (and I'm not a sad enough
>ankorak to consider buying it just for the sake of buying it - other
>things are more important, like food, etc <g>)

I think that a full novel as a limited edition would be sick. What
would be the *point?* Even if we're talking an edition of 5,000, the
price would have to be seriously steep. Production costs per volume
would be higher, quite apart from the intrinsic higher costs of
bindings, etc. I suppose reprinting it X months later as a standard
edition would remove some objections, but I'd still have misgivings.

--
Terry Pratchett

Miq

unread,
Mar 28, 2001, 6:37:40 PM3/28/01
to
On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, MEG <meggl...@lineone.net> wrote
>Mmm... special book..
>
>"Necrotelicomnicon"

Too dangerous.

>"The Laws And Ordinances of The Cities of Ankh And Morpork"
>"A Brief History of Discworld"

Bubububut, if either of those appeared they'd be Vital Resources for
Every Serious Discworld Scholar. No fair making them infeasibly
expensive.

>"The Summoning of Dragons" by Malachite (sp?)

Too... sooty.

>"The Encyclopaedia Discworldia" - a posh, up to date (!) version of the
>companion
>"Ankh Morpork to Agatean (or, better still, Trob) Dictionary "

Omigod, how sad would *that* be? We'd have people writing filks in
Trob...

--
Miq

MEG

unread,
Mar 29, 2001, 1:13:12 AM3/29/01
to
"Miq" <m...@lspace.org> wrote in message
news:7639e$BEXnw...@kew1.demon.co.uk...

> On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, MEG <meggl...@lineone.net> wrote

> >"Ankh Morpork to Agatean (or, better still, Trob) Dictionary "


> Omigod, how sad would *that* be? We'd have people writing filks in
> Trob...

Hey! Anything Trekkers can do..
<g>

David Deephanphongs

unread,
Mar 29, 2001, 4:05:47 AM3/29/01
to
On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 16:36:30 +0100, Keith Jackson wrote:
>Matthew Hambley wrote:
>>
>> I have to disagree. I think it would be a terrible idea. The 6 books
>> (plus appendices) in one volume of The Lord of the Rings is bad enough for
>> tearing in two down the middle. An all-in-one Discworld would be
>> completely unmanagable.
>
<snip>

>The other thing no-one seems to have considered is why anyone would want
>to spend this kind of money on a book they could buy for a tenth of the
>price anyway. It would be more tempting *and* have a higher long-term
>value if it were a full novel published either only in this form or
>where the conventional editions came out a long time later. With
>pre-orders and a monthly payment scheme I don't see why such a book
>shouldn't be accessible to a fair number of us.
>
>Keith

Ick.. I would be pretty upset if that sort of scheme occured - too
much like a "force the fans to shell out lots of money" thing.

I could see two really strong "all-in-one" types.
The first would be like the compact OED - with super-thin paper,
and reduced font size, you could probably fit 8 novels into a book -
~250 pages per novel, or 2000 pages - then you should be able to
halve the font size, which would quarter the # of pages, and bring
it down to 500 pages for the book. You'd need 3-4 books, right now,
but it means you could take the whole collection when you go travelling..

Since the binding cost wouldn't change much (overall dimensions shouldn't
grow by more than an inch or two), and it would have to be re-typeset,
anyway (with the fancier print that Pterry suggested), the total cost
shouldn't need to change much. If each book cost 2-300 pounds, it wouldn't
be /that/ hard to justify buying it (only 25 pounds per novel).

The second "all-in-one" type would be electronic.. That would be the
ultimate in convenience.

Dave
--
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's
warm for the rest of his life."
-- (Terry Pratchett, Jingo)

Keith Jackson

unread,
Mar 29, 2001, 4:34:43 AM3/29/01
to
Jens Kleine wrote:
>
> You really want to read such a book? I thought about looking for a
> long time at it and then looking at it again and again and again ...
> and perhaps touching it with gloves.... only perhaps!

Certainly! I don't see books as ornamental in any way, though it's a
nice bonus if they look good.

Keith

Terry Pratchett

unread,
Mar 29, 2001, 3:47:47 AM3/29/01
to
In article <MPG.152c6a3bc...@nntp.netcomuk.co.uk>, Suzi
<su...@lspace.org> writes

>That would
>be no sicker as a limited edition than some of the other "limited" stuff
>(non-book-items... UU springs to mind) that I've yearned for and haven't
>got one of.


Yes. It would. There probably weren't hundreds of thousands of people
eager to buy UU.
--
Terry Pratchett

Forrest

unread,
Mar 29, 2001, 5:38:20 AM3/29/01
to
Somewhere, Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I think that a full novel as a limited edition would be sick. What
>would be the *point?*

Just to be weird?

"Nearly two years quietly in the making, this full-length compact disc
of all-new Steve Roach material is limited to only 1000 copies in this
one-of-a-kind collectors' first edition. EARLY MAN is encased in thick
slabs of natural gray-green slate attached to a standard CD tray."
(Hypnos catalog entry)

A similarly bound SOUL MUSIC would've been apropos...

Barry Miller

unread,
Mar 29, 2001, 5:04:32 PM3/29/01
to
I think these sound like a tremendous idea and look forward to being able to
buy them. Will you post anything anout them in DW Monthly or should we just
waite and see?

Barry Miller


"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

news:STx92vAc...@unseen.demon.co.uk...


> I've had just enough letters and e-mails about this over the past year
> to think it worth testing the water.
>
> Is there a real desire out there for special, limited editions of the DW
> books? We're talking leather binding, embossing, nice paper, maybe even
> some internal illustrations.
>

> It's not something that exercises my mind much, since I'm automatically
> in favour of unlimited editions. Just to concentrate the mind, my
> agent, who really knows about this stuff, says that typically such an


> edition, depending on numbers and quality, could be in the 2-300 quid

> mark. I said that I expected that DW fans would want something that


> looked as though it was from the shelves of UU, and he winced and said
> 'that'll make it a little more expensive...'

> --
> Terry Pratchett


Paul Wilkins

unread,
Mar 30, 2001, 2:23:59 AM3/30/01
to
Terry Pratchett wrote

> Yes. It would. There probably weren't hundreds of
> thousands of people eager to buy UU.

I was, I just didn't have the money at the time.
Now of course, things are better. If something like that came out again then
I'll happily find ways to bring it to New Zealand.

Paul Wilkins
--
If it's a netiquette issue - educate.
If it's personal abuse of others - educate or flame.
If it's a personal "style" you can't handle - quietly killfile.

Jenny Radcliffe

unread,
Mar 30, 2001, 6:03:37 AM3/30/01
to
~arcana <ere...@permafrost.com> wrote

> > Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > I've had just enough letters and e-mails about this over the past
> > > year to think it worth testing the water.
> > > Is there a real desire out there for special, limited editions of
> > > the DW books? We're talking leather binding, embossing, nice paper,
> > > maybe even some internal illustrations.
> > <snip>
> We may not be able to afford 'em, but I sure would like to know they
> existed. Gives me a reason to try and increase my income!
> What I would like to see is affordable box sets I could give as Christmas
> gifts, possibly grouped by focus - a Rincewind set, a Witches set, a
> Watch set, etc. The box itself could be all spiffed up, with fairly
> basic paperbacks (maybe illustrated) within. Some of my most beloved
> books as a child were given to me in box sets like this (the "Narnia"
> books, and "Little House on the Prairie").

Oh, yes! That would be *great* - perfect presents!


--
"We have sex here" - Tim Packer - addressed to me in my office!

David Brown

unread,
Mar 30, 2001, 8:19:14 PM3/30/01
to
Diskworld "All in one".

I want mine in PDF format on a CD, please.

David Brown


Henriette Kress

unread,
Mar 31, 2001, 1:01:18 AM3/31/01
to
"David Brown" <brown...@mail.com> wrote:

>Diskworld "All in one".
>
>I want mine in PDF format on a CD, please.

I don't understand why people like .pdf format. .html is so much better,
_and_ it doesn't bloat the size of your graphics beyond recognition. The
only program (that I've used) that makes even bigger files, if you
include a pic or two, is MSWord.

Cheers
Hetta (... .pdf files on the web: _talk_ about wasting bandwidth.)

--
he...@saunalahti.fi Helsinki, Finland http://ibiblio.org/herbmed
Medicinal and Culinary herbFAQs, pics, database, neat stuff, archives...

Matthew Hambley

unread,
Mar 31, 2001, 2:58:08 AM3/31/01
to
In message <8gsactsvjeaglkvq8...@4ax.com>
Henriette Kress <he...@saunalahti.fi> wrote:

> "David Brown" <brown...@mail.com> wrote:
>
> >Diskworld "All in one".
> >
> >I want mine in PDF format on a CD, please.
>
> I don't understand why people like .pdf format. .html is so much better,
> _and_ it doesn't bloat the size of your graphics beyond recognition. The
> only program (that I've used) that makes even bigger files, if you
> include a pic or two, is MSWord.

This is about to sail off-topic so it will be my last word on the subject.

I think you have made a rather sweeping statement there. PDF and HTML are
very different. One isn't better than the other because they are designed
to provide different things. HTML is better than PDF if you want platform
indpendent information disemination. PDF is better than HTML is you want
to preserved your cairfully crafted graphic design work in a way which is
still viewable on a wide range of platforms.

--
(\/)atthew Hambley ----------------\ If something's worth doing it's worth
\ doing badly until you can learn to
mat...@aether.demon.co.uk \ do it well.
http://www.aether.demon.co.uk/ \-----------------------------------

Miq

unread,
Mar 31, 2001, 4:17:10 AM3/31/01
to
On Sat, 31 Mar 2001, Matthew Hambley <mat...@aether.demon.co.uk> wrote

>This is about to sail off-topic so it will be my last word on the subject.

'Sokay, we can drag it back on-topic.

>I think you have made a rather sweeping statement there. PDF and HTML are
>very different. One isn't better than the other because they are designed
>to provide different things. HTML is better than PDF if you want platform
>indpendent information disemination. PDF is better than HTML is you want
>to preserved your cairfully crafted graphic design work in a way which is
>still viewable on a wide range of platforms.

Yes, but PDF is very often used for content that has nothing whatever to
do with graphic design. In this context, for instance, why would you
want the text of your Bumper Discworld Collection to be presented
exactly as it was in the printed pages (of the hardback, presumably)?
Wouldn't you rather be able to search the text, and to view as much as
*you* want to at any time?

--
Miq

mule

unread,
Mar 31, 2001, 4:57:42 AM3/31/01
to
Miq <m...@lspace.org> wrote in article
<+nisJ+AW...@kew1.demon.co.uk>:

PDF is searchable. As much text as HTML can fit on a screen at one
time, so can PDF. I'd be happy with either - although I think both
are unlikely to come into existence in the short to medium term.
Protection issues -- better in pdf than html, but not good enough
yet.

mule
--
"jewels and binoculars hang from the head of the mule"
Bob Dylan

Eric Jarvis

unread,
Mar 31, 2001, 7:21:45 AM3/31/01
to

I suspect...much to my horror...that this may in fact be exactly
what Flash was invented for

--
eric - afprelationships in headers
"live fast, die only if strictly necessary"

David Brown

unread,
Mar 31, 2001, 11:03:21 AM3/31/01
to
> Diskworld "All in one".
> I want mine in PDF format on a CD, please.
> David Brown

I'm hoping for a PDF compliant e-book in the not-too-distant future. I'm
sure Adobe has the same dream.

The way I hope this format evolves will allow downloading (and paying
for)current topics from an on-line bookstore and buying archive material
("old" books) in collections on CD, or DVD, much as with the CD based
encyclopedias.

David Brown


Castellan

unread,
Mar 31, 2001, 3:03:16 PM3/31/01
to
"Terry Pratchett" wrote in message

>
> Is there a real desire out there for special, limited editions of the DW
> books

You could pretty much guarantee desire, and even some desire backed up with
cash. The UK publishers of a certain genre author managed to sell limited
editions (250 odd) of one of his least acclaimed works and a
JRRPosthumousLaundryLists-HoME-compendium-type effort at GBP100-00 each and
these weren't even fully leather bound (only quarter). DW volumes at say 5
books a volume would probably acquire greater value by weight than most
Class A drugs.[1]

You could also enjoy watching the paranoid endeavours of us booksellers
trying to prevent them getting nicked.

And potential for after-market lecterns (with added Eldritchitude) must have
some mileage.

--
Castellan
p.s. Resurrect the shade of Arthur Rackham for the illustrations and they
would be priceless.

[1]especially the ultra-rare unsigned copies


ruthi

unread,
Apr 1, 2001, 6:43:50 PM4/1/01
to
On Sat, 31 Mar 2001 10:17:10 +0100, Miq <m...@lspace.org> wrote:

>On Sat, 31 Mar 2001, Matthew Hambley <mat...@aether.demon.co.uk> wrote
>>This is about to sail off-topic so it will be my last word on the subject.
>
>'Sokay, we can drag it back on-topic.
>

>>indpendent information disemination. PDF is better than HTML is you want
>>to preserved your cairfully crafted graphic design work in a way which is
>>still viewable on a wide range of platforms.
>
>Yes, but PDF is very often used for content that has nothing whatever to
>do with graphic design. In this context, for instance, why would you
>want the text of your Bumper Discworld Collection to be presented
>exactly as it was in the printed pages (of the hardback, presumably)?

Because care is taken about fonts and other visual effects,
and I want to see them. Remember the 'Two Fonts in One Book' Thread?
I also want the footnotes (for pages that have footnotes)
at the bottom of each page.


>Wouldn't you rather be able to search the text, and to view as much as
>*you* want to at any time?

That too. Do they have to be mutually exclusive?

--
Ruthi


Margaret

unread,
Apr 2, 2001, 3:47:41 AM4/2/01
to
Alan Bellingham <al...@lspace.org> wrote:

>"Castellan" <charle...@obvious.spam.blocker.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>p.s. Resurrect the shade of Arthur Rackham for the illustrations and they
>>would be priceless.
>

>Or Edmund Dulac, or Charles or Heath Robinson.

wooo, yes, Dulac or Rackham! I've a facsimile edition
of Fitzgerald's Khayyam with Dulac illustrations.
Absolutely stunning!

ConMan

unread,
Apr 4, 2001, 12:05:45 AM4/4/01
to

Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:STx92vAc...@unseen.demon.co.uk...

> It's not something that exercises my mind much, since I'm automatically
> in favour of unlimited editions. Just to concentrate the mind, my
> agent, who really knows about this stuff, says that typically such an
> edition, depending on numbers and quality, could be in the 2-300 quid
> mark. I said that I expected that DW fans would want something that
> looked as though it was from the shelves of UU, and he winced and said
> 'that'll make it a little more expensive...'
2-300 quid? Now, if that meant somewhere between 2 quid and 300 quid, I
would consider it. But, given the current Oz $, and my allowance, I would
have to say anything under $AU100 would be good, which means somewhere
around 30-40 pounds. Now, for that you could probably make a very nice
looking book, maybe with some fancy covers (faux leather?). I'm not sure
that a combined book would be that spectacular, given that the trilogies
I've been seeing seem to have less and less relevance each time (surely the
publishers could have found a better choice than the Gods Trilogy - H, SG &
P? Death trilogy at least!), but perhaps something which collected a lot of
smaller DW things into one volume, with some common theme. A Dictionary of
Eye-Watering Words? An anthology of DW short stories?

I'm not really sure what you could do, but I can see no practical purpose in
making a $1000 book (close enough) that no-one's going to buy.

Well, that's my 2 Australian cents, now worth something around 1 zloty. Plus
GST of course.

Also, I heard tell long ago that PTerry was planning on making a Discworld
Companion CD-ROM. Has there been any news on that? (I don't check this group
often)
--
You know those jigsaw puzzles that come with five extra pieces and no edges?
I've sent a letter to the company thanking them - it usually takes me years
to get them that way.


Kalle Lintinen

unread,
Apr 4, 2001, 8:07:13 AM4/4/01