Blue Rose

Greg

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

> I heard that Peter Straub's books Koko, Mystery, and The Throat, are
>a trilogy called "The Blue Rose". Are they worth reading? I haven't
>read anything by him since Floating Dragon, and that certaintly was a
>huge disappoitment.....

You can add two short stories from "house without doors" too...

I think they are worth reading. The blue rose case: 3 books, three
different ending. One going deeper than the other.
These books are about creation and writing too. You'll see how an author
use his life or the life of some people to create. You will be dealing
with a strange triangle: Tim Underhill-Blue Rose-Peter Straub.
Who is Tim Underhill? A character in "Koko" ; The writer of "Koko" Mystery
and the Throat in the Throat. The narrotor in the Throat. The author of
two very disterbing short stories in "House without doors"
Stories about the lost of inocence, about guilt, about evil...

Immerse yourself into these books and you'll get one hell of an experiment...

Greg

LeBlanc

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

The Blue Rose short story I read by itself -- quite disturbing. When I
read Mystery, Koko and The Throat, I didn't read them in order because I
didn't even know they were a trilogy. They can be read seperately and
still make sense -- I like that.

Caroline

Murray Wells

Jan 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/21/97

[ To: LeBlanc <cs...@popalex1.linknet.net>
[ Reply to article posted Tue, 14 Jan 1997 03:11:31 GMT
[ From: Midnight Wells
[ Subject: Re: Blue Rose
[
[ This message was posted to alt.books.peter-straub
[ A courtesy copy has also been emailed to your account

I didn't realise they were a trilogy either until I reached 'The
Throat.' I have yet to actually find out if PS actually *meant* them
to be a trilogy, or if they simply evolved that way.

Midnight.

docwill

Jan 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/22/97

I seem to remember an interview with PS....where, I'm not sure.
Cemetery Dance, maybe? He said that he did intend them as a trilogy, at
least to the extent that he knew the characters needed books of their
own. Somehow, long before 'The Throat' was published, I remember hoping
that it would be a Tim Underhill novel...and it was.
The Blue Rose novella is the most chilling thing I've ever read.
It bears out the old short story maxim: "read in one setting,
remembered for a lifetime." Even when you wish you could forget it!

Doc

Peter Straub

Jan 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/22/97

Murray Wells wrote:

> > The Blue Rose short story I read by itself -- quite disturbing. When I
> > read Mystery, Koko and The Throat, I didn't read them in order because I
> > didn't even know they were a trilogy. They can be read seperately and
> > still make sense -- I like that.
>
> I didn't realise they were a trilogy either until I reached 'The
> Throat.' I have yet to actually find out if PS actually *meant* them
> to be a trilogy, or if they simply evolved that way.

I had no intention of writing anything as ambitious as a trilogy until I
finished "Mystery." At that point, it seemed to me that I still had not
truly come to the end of Tim Underhill's saga, that he had more to say
to me. And I thought it would be useful to combine or link Tim with Tom
Pasmore, and in that way to see what Tom what like as an adult. I guess
the real center of the impulse was the sense that in spite of everything
I had done, I was not really finished with the story, which means at
least in part that I had more to learn from it.

Peter