Bardic Voices

Joanna

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
I just bought the Bardic Voices books. I am almost finished reading The
Lark and The Wren and I gotta tell ya, I sure have missed reading
Misty's writing! The last couple of books (except for Anne McCaffery's
The Girl who Heard Dragons and Christopher Stasheff's Spell-Bound
Scholar) I've read have been, well let's say, lacking in some way.

I am soaking up this series like a sponge in a full sink. Sorry, but I
sure have missed reading good writing!

The only question I have, is why didn't I read these sooner? <G>

--
Joanna
Fire Rose

Remove "rose" to reply.

Lady Grygon

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
I like it too! I bought the three in one book. =) Though it looks like
this series is gonna be LOOOOOOOONNNNNGGG! =) Yippeee!

<and for those of you who are gonna pick on me and say "but it has romance
in it, I thought you HATED romance stuff" all I have to say to you
phtphtphtphtphtphtphptphpthptph!!!!> =) Yes, that drives me nuts but I
enjoy it none the less even though I HAVE put the book down merely cause I
felt ill.... but it is such good writing!

--
"Shadow-Lover, I cannot forget-
Help me bear the burdens I have yet." - Magic's Price

***Don't step in the "Bantha_PooDoo", remove from addy to reply

William George Ferguson

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
Joanna <Joa...@postmark.net> wrote:
>I just bought the Bardic Voices books. I am almost finished reading The
>Lark and The Wren and I gotta tell ya, I sure have missed reading
>Misty's writing! The last couple of books (except for Anne McCaffery's
>The Girl who Heard Dragons and Christopher Stasheff's Spell-Bound
>Scholar) I've read have been, well let's say, lacking in some way.
>
>I am soaking up this series like a sponge in a full sink. Sorry, but I
>sure have missed reading good writing!
>
>The only question I have, is why didn't I read these sooner? <G>

If you have the opportunity, once you've finished Lark and Wren, you
might get the short story anthology Fiddler Faire. My immediate
reaction on seeing the cover "That's Rune and the Skull Hill Ghost."

The title story is indeed the short story, written for an anthology
that didn't go, that later grew to be Lark and Wren.

Matrix Viking

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
On Sun, 10 Oct 1999 14:40:38 -0500, Joanna <Joa...@postmark.net> wrote:

>I just bought the Bardic Voices books. I am almost finished reading The
>Lark and The Wren and I gotta tell ya, I sure have missed reading
>Misty's writing! The last couple of books (except for Anne McCaffery's
>The Girl who Heard Dragons and Christopher Stasheff's Spell-Bound
>Scholar) I've read have been, well let's say, lacking in some way.
>
>I am soaking up this series like a sponge in a full sink. Sorry, but I
>sure have missed reading good writing!
>
>The only question I have, is why didn't I read these sooner? <G>

I dunno...'cause you didn't feel 'the call'? It's a good series by Misty, though
The Eagle and the Nightingales didn't seem as good to me? Why? Dunno... but all
in all, it is a good series; especially The Lark and The Wren.

Matrix Viking
ICQ #3572860
Junior Member in Training of the Brute Squad
God of Flirtation
Disciple of the Goddess of Chocolate
Disciple-Follower of the Serrated Edge
And distributor of Grape Pops

Nightowl

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99

Joanna wrote:

> I just bought the Bardic Voices books. I am almost finished reading The
> Lark and The Wren and I gotta tell ya, I sure have missed reading
> Misty's writing! The last couple of books (except for Anne McCaffery's
> The Girl who Heard Dragons and Christopher Stasheff's Spell-Bound
> Scholar) I've read have been, well let's say, lacking in some way.
>
> I am soaking up this series like a sponge in a full sink. Sorry, but I
> sure have missed reading good writing!
>
> The only question I have, is why didn't I read these sooner? <G>

If you like those don't forget to read A Cast of Corbies, it's not a
bardic voice book, but more of a filler-in between of what happens
in Kingsford.

I know it's kind of hard to read any of Misty's other books, esp. when
you've gotten stuck on the Vladimar books, but they are out there!

Nightowl

Joanna

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99

Matrix Viking wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Oct 1999 14:40:38 -0500, Joanna <Joa...@postmark.net> wrote:
>

> >The only question I have, is why didn't I read these sooner? <G>
>

> I dunno...'cause you didn't feel 'the call'? It's a good series by Misty, though
> The Eagle and the Nightingales didn't seem as good to me? Why? Dunno... but all
> in all, it is a good series; especially The Lark and The Wren.

After reading Piers Anthony's twenty or so books in the Xanth series, I am always
hesitant to read a series of three books or more. The problem I have is that I can
never find all the books in that series. I have wanted to read this one, but never
got the inclination until I joined this NG. Now I am definitely glad that I am
reading them!

> Matrix Viking

Joanna

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99

Lady Grygon wrote:

> I like it too! I bought the three in one book. =) Though it looks like
> this series is gonna be LOOOOOOOONNNNNGGG! =) Yippeee!

I bought all that Barnes and Noble had. I looked in the front of The Lark
and The Wren to see all the other books in the series. The Free Bards was in
the list and the only one on the shelf was a trade novel. I thought that
maybe they had a special edition of it on the shelf and I had to special
order the paperback. Well, the guy taking the order didn't know any
different and off went the order. The next week , B&N said it had come in
and lo and behold, it was the trade. I asked the cashier if that was all it
came in and she said yes. The cashier then pointed out that it says in the
front cover that it's all three books. <BONK> I was so embarrassed!!

> <and for those of you who are gonna pick on me and say "but it has romance
> in it, I thought you HATED romance stuff" all I have to say to you
> phtphtphtphtphtphtphptphpthptph!!!!> =) Yes, that drives me nuts but I
> enjoy it none the less even though I HAVE put the book down merely cause I
> felt ill.... but it is such good writing!

It has a nice blend of all those elements that I like in a book. it kept me
reading and the only time I don't read it is when I'm in here and at work. I
had started to lose interest in reading until I picked these up!

> --
> "Shadow-Lover, I cannot forget-
> Help me bear the burdens I have yet." - Magic's Price

Joanna

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99

William George Ferguson wrote:

> Joanna <Joa...@postmark.net> wrote:
>
> >The only question I have, is why didn't I read these sooner? <G>
>

> If you have the opportunity, once you've finished Lark and Wren, you
> might get the short story anthology Fiddler Faire. My immediate
> reaction on seeing the cover "That's Rune and the Skull Hill Ghost."

I read Fiddler Fair way before this. As I was reading The Lark, I started
getting the feeling that I had read this before. When Rune got to the Fair
(can't remember which one) to try out for the Bard Guild, I suddenly
remembered that I *had* read it. When I saw Fiddler Fair at the front of
the The Lark, that's when I knew I wasn't just imagining it. Thank
goodness!

> The title story is indeed the short story, written for an anthology
> that didn't go, that later grew to be Lark and Wren.

She even drops Fiddler Girl through out the story as the song she sings
about the Skull Hill ghost. You think that would have been a clue for me!

Joanna

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99

Nightowl wrote:

> Joanna wrote:
> >
> > The only question I have, is why didn't I read these sooner? <G>
>

> If you like those don't forget to read A Cast of Corbies, it's not a
> bardic voice book, but more of a filler-in between of what happens
> in Kingsford.

Gonna get that one too. I also notice that there are some called Bard Tale
novels. Castle of Deception, Fortress of Frost & Fire, and Prison of Souls.
Are these in the same time line/ same place as the Bardic Voices? If so, I
want to read these after the Voices. I also want to read the SERRAted Edge
novels. I am so glad to be reading Misty's books again.

> I know it's kind of hard to read any of Misty's other books, esp. when
> you've gotten stuck on the Vladimar books, but they are out there!

Yep and I'm finally finding them!

> Nightowl

Megan Thomas

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
Joanna wrote:

> Nightowl wrote:
>
> > Joanna wrote:
> > >
> > > The only question I have, is why didn't I read these sooner? <G>
> >
> > If you like those don't forget to read A Cast of Corbies, it's not a
> > bardic voice book, but more of a filler-in between of what happens
> > in Kingsford.
>
> Gonna get that one too. I also notice that there are some called Bard Tale
> novels. Castle of Deception, Fortress of Frost & Fire, and Prison of Souls.
> Are these in the same time line/ same place as the Bardic Voices? If so, I
> want to read these after the Voices. I also want to read the SERRAted Edge
> novels. I am so glad to be reading Misty's books again.

Joanna-

No, Castle, Fortress and Prison are all in a different world from
Bardic. And from Valdemar. And from SERRAted. Unrelated to all of
the above (except through the author).

--
Megan
Acolyte to the God of Grilled-SPAM

Wolfheart

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99

Matrix Viking wrote:

> I think I stopped reading Mr. Anthony after the one about the barbarian who
> could heal himself. After that....*BLEAH!*

**********
Can't say as how I've read Xanth, but you might want to give the Incarnations of
Immortality a try.

Wolfheart
**********

Wolfheart

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99

Joanna wrote:

> Gonna get that one too. I also notice that there are some called Bard Tale
> novels. Castle of Deception, Fortress of Frost & Fire, and Prison of Souls.
> Are these in the same time line/ same place as the Bardic Voices? If so, I
> want to read these after the Voices. I also want to read the SERRAted Edge
> novels. I am so glad to be reading Misty's books again.

**********
Those are the Bard's Tale series. They're based on a computer game called the
Bard's Tale. They take place in a different time/place than the rest of Misty's
series' but they're just as good.

Wolfheart
**********

Matrix Viking

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 10:49:49 -0500, Joanna <Joa...@postmark.net> wrote:

<snip>

>After reading Piers Anthony's twenty or so books in the Xanth series, I am always
>hesitant to read a series of three books or more. The problem I have is that I can
>never find all the books in that series. I have wanted to read this one, but never
>got the inclination until I joined this NG. Now I am definitely glad that I am
>reading them!

I think I stopped reading Mr. Anthony after the one about the barbarian who

could heal himself. After that....*BLEAH!*

Matrix Viking

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 23:02:43 -0500, Wolfheart <jac...@execpc.com> wrote:

<snip>

>**********
>Can't say as how I've read Xanth, but you might want to give the Incarnations of
>Immortality a try.

I did; the only decent one was On A Pale Horse. I never did read Incarnations of
Evil. That would be fun to try for the heck of it. But the
rest...<shrug>...didn't really do anything for me. But thanks for the idea!

MV

ICQ #3572860
Junior Member in Training of the Brute Squad
God of Flirtation
Disciple of the Goddess of Chocolate
Disciple-Follower of the Serrated Edge
And distributor of Grape Pops

Fire Rose

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99

Megan Thomas wrote:

> No, Castle, Fortress and Prison are all in a different world from
> Bardic. And from Valdemar. And from SERRAted. Unrelated to all of
> the above (except through the author).

Thanks for telling me. I'm still gonna read those books. Now I have a set list
of the next few books I'm going to need to get from Barnes & Noble. It's a
relief to hear that the books listed here aren't going to have to be an
investment in orders.--

> Megan
> Acolyte to the God of Grilled-SPAM
> Remove "_nospam" from email to contact me

Fire Rose

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99

Matrix Viking wrote:

> I think I stopped reading Mr. Anthony after the one about the barbarian who
> could heal himself. After that....*BLEAH!*

<blink blink>

<confused look>

Was it a Xanth novel? I think I know what you're talking about, but not quite sure.

> Matrix Viking

Fire Rose

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99

Wolfheart wrote:

> Matrix Viking wrote:
>

> > I think I stopped reading Mr. Anthony after the one about the barbarian who
> > could heal himself. After that....*BLEAH!*
> >

> **********
> Can't say as how I've read Xanth, but you might want to give the Incarnations of
> Immortality a try.

I LOVED the Incarnations books! They were the first of his books that I read.
They are very different from the Xanth novels. Xanth tends to be mostly puns and a
story line that is about young adult and up. Incarnations are definitely adult.
Not in a kinkies sort of way, but the writing is much more intense than Xanth.
They are a great series and I have read them at least three times already. I would
certainly recommend these books, even if they are the only ones of his you read.
Sorry about the rambling, but these I loved! <G>

> Wolfheart
> **********

Fire Rose

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99

Wolfheart wrote:

> Joanna wrote:
>
> **********
> Those are the Bard's Tale series. They're based on a computer game called the
> Bard's Tale. They take place in a different time/place than the rest of Misty's
> series' but they're just as good.

Already added them to my list! I'm so excited to have a good book reading list. I
hate when I go through a dry period of less than wonderful books to read!

--
Fire Rose (doing a happy dance)

William George Ferguson

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99

Fire Rose <Jasi...@mad.scientist.com> wrote:
><blink blink>
>
><confused look>
>
>Was it a Xanth novel? I think I know what you're talking about, but not quite sure.

Crewel Lye

Aoiryuu

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
Following Crewel Lye are one or two gems. For example, Grey Murphy's
tale, imo, was quite enjoyable. The rest is marshmellow fodder, having
read through a Roc and a Hard Place, I can tell you from that standpoint
you haven't missed much.

Aoiryuu

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
Lady Grygon wrote:

> I like it too! I bought the three in one book. =) Though it looks like
> this series is gonna be LOOOOOOOONNNNNGGG! =) Yippeee!

Not at all, Lady. // * flares hir wings.

I think its just the trilogy and the one aside. I've not seen more come out
of the whole deal, although I think the backstory issss far more intriguing
than Valdemar's... well, thats probably just because Misty's been a lot more
mysterious (stingy, perhaps?) about revealing it. I get really tired of
hyoomihn cultures being the dominate ones in the world, and the dark, more
on-the-brink atmosphere of civilization in Bardic Voices I find a great deal
more exciting the the comparatively stable civilization in Valdemar. But
then, I've not finished Mage Winds yet; working on it. Right now, however,
one might ask, who's ever going to be able to touch Iftel? Or the vast
Eastern Empire? &c &c.

// * place a choco bar in front of hirself on the ground casually, then rests
hir muzzle on hir foreclaws. Sie munches the choco as sie speaks.

When I first saw the timeline to Valdemar, I thought, by Veeshan, these are
backwards people, having stayed around roughly the same technological level
for approx. 3000 years (compare this to the rapid advance of our own
civilization!), to which my brother fielded the idea that magic was holding
the people back. It took the Chinese people 4000 years to go from
hunter-gatherer tribes to being a global super power with enough nukes to
empower any single person who can press a button to *CHOMP* lay waste to all
human life on the planet a couple of times over.

mmm, 198 proof imported choco P =

*

The 'Ryuu whose only sig is the ticking of a clock.

ok, and a star.

ok, the ticking of a clock, followed by the Chrono Trigger Theme Brink of Time
Remix, and a star.

but thasss it, really ^ _ -

Aoiryuu

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
Joanna wrote:

> I just bought the Bardic Voices books. I am almost finished reading The
> Lark and The Wren and I gotta tell ya, I sure have missed reading
> Misty's writing! The last couple of books (except for Anne McCaffery's
> The Girl who Heard Dragons and Christopher Stasheff's Spell-Bound
> Scholar) I've read have been, well let's say, lacking in some way.
> I am soaking up this series like a sponge in a full sink. Sorry, but I
> sure have missed reading good writing!

> The only question I have, is why didn't I read these sooner? <G>

Joanna, while Bardic Voices isss kind of fun with the new setting and all,
issssn't jusst a rrepeat of ML's formula? Can't you just see all those
tavern jobs being replayed all over the place, eg in Vanyel? And Larrk's
experience isn't very much different from Talia's other than her greater
initiative, isssn't it? Can you see the similarities between their tutors in
music? I'm not a little upset about being fed the same plot and the same
scenes in multiplicity. Is anyone else noticing this occuring? = /

*
... tic... toc... o / ~

" The unexamined life is not worth living"
--- <Guess the quotation and win a prize>

Kevin Lighton

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
Aoiryuu <aoi...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Lady Grygon wrote:

>> I like it too! I bought the three in one book. =) Though it looks like
>> this series is gonna be LOOOOOOOONNNNNGGG! =) Yippeee!

> I think its just the trilogy and the one aside.

4 books, actually, not counting _A Cast of Corbies_. _Four and Twenty
Blackbirds_ is the most recent one. It came out earlier this year, I think.

> When I first saw the timeline to Valdemar, I thought, by Veeshan, these are
> backwards people, having stayed around roughly the same technological level
> for approx. 3000 years (compare this to the rapid advance of our own
> civilization!), to which my brother fielded the idea that magic was holding
> the people back.

I think the effects of the mage wars and cataclysm probably slowed things down,
also. Quite a few major mages were lost during the wars, and large groups got
scattered all over the place and had to rebuild without magic (which would
tend to take the place of technology in many cases).

Fire Rose

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99

William George Ferguson wrote:

> Fire Rose <Jasi...@mad.scientist.com> wrote:
> ><blink blink>
> >
> ><confused look>
> >
> >Was it a Xanth novel? I think I know what you're talking about, but not quite sure.
>
> Crewel Lye

Ah! Now I know. It had, the son, was it Dor? And the giant jumping spider? The
princess also, can't think right now! GAH!
--
Fire Rose

Fire Rose

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99

Aoiryuu wrote:

I tend to agree here. After A Roc and a Hard Place, the books seem to get
a bit punny, don't they? His latest efforts in the Xanth world are a
little better. I think now that he isn't doing about three books at one
time, he can concentrate better. His best, IMO, are the Incarnations!

--
Fire Rose
Twin GO of Birds
High Priestess to the GO of Equines
Disciple to the God of Flirtation

Remove "rose" to reply.

Fire Rose

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99

Aoiryuu wrote:

> Joanna wrote:
>
> > The only question I have, is why didn't I read these sooner? <G>
>
> Joanna, while Bardic Voices isss kind of fun with the new setting and all,
> issssn't jusst a rrepeat of ML's formula? Can't you just see all those
> tavern jobs being replayed all over the place, eg in Vanyel? And Larrk's
> experience isn't very much different from Talia's other than her greater
> initiative, isssn't it? Can you see the similarities between their tutors in
> music? I'm not a little upset about being fed the same plot and the same
> scenes in multiplicity. Is anyone else noticing this occuring? = /

Well, I actually haven't read the Valdemar books in about a 1 1/2 years. I can
remember certain characters and places, but a lot of the time, if the info is
not in detail, I tend to get lost. I think it might be time to dig those books
out of there prison! <G>

> *

Sapphire

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
Fire Rose <Jasi...@mad.scientist.com> wrote:

>Aoiryuu wrote:

>> Following Crewel Lye are one or two gems. For example, Grey Murphy's
>> tale, imo, was quite enjoyable. The rest is marshmellow fodder, having
>> read through a Roc and a Hard Place, I can tell you from that standpoint
>> you haven't missed much.

>I tend to agree here. After A Roc and a Hard Place, the books seem to get
>a bit punny, don't they? His latest efforts in the Xanth world are a
>little better. I think now that he isn't doing about three books at one
>time, he can concentrate better. His best, IMO, are the Incarnations!

I liked the Incarnations (at least the first three - that's as far as
I got before I ended up breaking up with the guy who owned the books,
and of course, I've been too lazy in the last 5 years since then to go
out and get them myself...).

I also really liked the first three books of the Blue Adept series.
The next three were pretty stretched, and not so interesting, but
then, I have a lot of trouble with books (even when they're
well-written) that continue a series with the children of the main
character from the first book. I even got a bit annoyed with Zelazny's
second Amber series, about Merlin. It just didn't seem as good as the
first.

-Sapphire.
Goddess of Unfinished Projects
High Priestess of Mess
Co-Founder (with Victoreia and Shaunesay) of the Sisterhood of Mess
Lead guitar for the abml out-of-practice musicians' band
Officially licensed pedant (Thanks Bookwurm!)
Co-President (with Shaunesay) of the Voice Club
Wench #858 Madame

Jessie

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
Sapphire <sapphir...@iname.com> wrote in article
<7u2p3h$iu7$1...@news1.tc.umn.edu>...

> Fire Rose <Jasi...@mad.scientist.com> wrote:
> >Aoiryuu wrote:
> >> Following Crewel Lye are one or two gems. For example, Grey Murphy's
> >> tale, imo, was quite enjoyable. The rest is marshmellow fodder,
having
> >> read through a Roc and a Hard Place, I can tell you from that
standpoint
> >> you haven't missed much.

As someone who was introduced to the world of fantasy novels by piers
anthony's xanth novels (at a young age for that kind of material, now that
I look back) it sort of alternates. Some novels are very very very punny.
However, some aren't. They sort of alternate. I agree I enjoyed grey
murphy's tale ... Demon's Don't Dream was nice for me too (as a girl who
was taken off of that series only to still in grade school be given Joel
Rosenberg's Guardians of the Flame series ... I thank dad for having such
trust in my maturity and instilling in me fantasy story love at a young
age)

> >I tend to agree here. After A Roc and a Hard Place, the books seem to
get
> >a bit punny, don't they? His latest efforts in the Xanth world are a
> >little better. I think now that he isn't doing about three books at one
> >time, he can concentrate better. His best, IMO, are the Incarnations!

I adore the incarnations. On a pale horse is still one of my favourite
novels, and the series one of my favourite series. The Adept novels were
good, but I never got a chance to read them all. He also has a few
historical fiction type novels which imnsho were quite good as well. And
one weirdly biological one called spiderlegs which had the biologist in me
giggling I must admit (although it was quasi-horror ... it was just the
ideas in it)

Jessie {Loa}

Susan Sebranek

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
> William George Ferguson wrote:
>
> > Fire Rose <Jasi...@mad.scientist.com> wrote:
> > ><blink blink>
> > >
> > ><confused look>
> > >
> > >Was it a Xanth novel? I think I know what you're talking about, but not quite sure.
> >
> > Crewel Lye
>
> Ah! Now I know. It had, the son, was it Dor? And the giant jumping spider? The
> princess also, can't think right now! GAH!
> --
> Fire Rose

Uh, no. That was _Castle Roogna_. _Crewel Lye_ was about a ghost
telling his story, and then the people he's telling it to dig him up and
somehow (been so long since I read it I can't remember) get the
barbarian's talent to restore his body (in sicking detail) until he
lives again!
>Matrix Viking wrote:
>*BLEAH!*

I agree.

Susan

Susan Sebranek

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
> I also really liked the first three books of the Blue Adept series.
> The next three were pretty stretched, and not so interesting, but
> then, I have a lot of trouble with books (even when they're
> well-written) that continue a series with the children of the main
> character from the first book. I even got a bit annoyed with Zelazny's
> second Amber series, about Merlin. It just didn't seem as good as the
> first.
>
> -Sapphire.

And then Zelazny has to die so we'll never find out what happens! I
liked that series. It was different from the first Amber stuff, it was
also earlier in Zelazny's career.

Susan

Wolfheart

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99

Fire Rose wrote:

> I tend to agree here. After A Roc and a Hard Place, the books seem to get
> a bit punny, don't they? His latest efforts in the Xanth world are a
> little better. I think now that he isn't doing about three books at one
> time, he can concentrate better. His best, IMO, are the Incarnations!

***********
Has anyone read If I Pay Thee Not In Gold, by Piers & Misty? Definately worth
a look if you haven't.

Just a thought.

Wolfheart
***********

Fire Rose

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99

Sapphire wrote:

> Fire Rose <Jasi...@mad.scientist.com> wrote:
> His best, IMO, are the Incarnations!
>

> I liked the Incarnations (at least the first three - that's as far as
> I got before I ended up breaking up with the guy who owned the books,
> and of course, I've been too lazy in the last 5 years since then to go
> out and get them myself...).

The books that dealt with the incarnations were good, the last two in the series
were, I must admit, kinda not up to standards. I have noticed that when Piers
writes a series, when he gets around to the forth or fifth book, they start
lagging.

> I also really liked the first three books of the Blue Adept series.
> The next three were pretty stretched, and not so interesting, but
> then, I have a lot of trouble with books (even when they're
> well-written) that continue a series with the children of the main
> character from the first book.

That was good also. What tended to trip me up in those books, was when they had
those games they would play and he would go into all this detail. I would half
heartedly read until the end of the contest and the winner was announced.

> I even got a bit annoyed with Zelazny's
> second Amber series, about Merlin. It just didn't seem as good as the
> first.

What's the name of this series? Sounds interesting!

> -Sapphire.

--Fire Rose

Twin GO of Birds
High Priestess to the GO of Equines
Disciple to the God of Flirtation

Icq # 52248285

Fire Rose

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99

Susan Sebranek wrote:

> > > Crewel Lye
> >
> > Ah! Now I know. It had, the son, was it Dor? And the giant jumping spider? The
> > princess also, can't think right now! GAH!
> > --
> > Fire Rose
>
> Uh, no. That was _Castle Roogna_. _Crewel Lye_ was about a ghost
> telling his story, and then the people he's telling it to dig him up and
> somehow (been so long since I read it I can't remember) get the
> barbarian's talent to restore his body (in sicking detail) until he
> lives again!

Me thinks I might need to do a Xanth refresher course!

> >Matrix Viking wrote:
> >*BLEAH!*
>
> I agree.

I might have said that at the time that I read it! <GG>

Fire Rose

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99

Wolfheart wrote:

Haven't gotten to that one yet. Although I have seen some comments about it on
other threads.

> Wolfheart
> ***********

Fire Rose

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99

Jessie wrote:

> As someone who was introduced to the world of fantasy novels by piers
> anthony's xanth novels (at a young age for that kind of material, now that
> I look back) it sort of alternates. Some novels are very very very punny.
> However, some aren't. They sort of alternate.

I noticed that too. There was a time when he writes in his author notes about
that girl named Jenny who was hit by a drunk driver. Considering that he got
pretty close with her in their corresponds, his feelings might have been
transferred into his book writing.

> I agree I enjoyed grey
> murphy's tale ... Demon's Don't Dream was nice for me too (as a girl who
> was taken off of that series only to still in grade school be given Joel
> Rosenberg's Guardians of the Flame series ... I thank dad for having such
> trust in my maturity and instilling in me fantasy story love at a young
> age)

It's nice to hear of parents who aren't afraid to let there children expand
their minds with books that others might not find appropriate. Good for him!

> His best, IMO, are the Incarnations!
>

> I adore the incarnations. On a pale horse is still one of my favourite
> novels, and the series one of my favourite series.

Yep. A friend of mine recommended his On a Pale Horse, knowing that I liked
science fiction. I don't think that I put the book down for a whole day.
When the mood strikes, I pick them up and read them all over again.

> The Adept novels were
> good, but I never got a chance to read them all.

These started to fade after the forth book or so. Still a good read, though.

> He also has a few
> historical fiction type novels which imnsho were quite good as well. And
> one weirdly biological one called spiderlegs which had the biologist in me
> giggling I must admit (although it was quasi-horror ... it was just the
> ideas in it)

Wasn't it strange? A lot of people get this image of him from the Xanth
novels. If you want really strange, he has one called Firefly. Now that I
definitely would NOT recommend for children!

> Jessie {Loa}

Melissa Marie Nichols

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Fire Rose wrote:

> Wolfheart wrote:
>
> > Fire Rose wrote:
> >
> > > I tend to agree here. After A Roc and a Hard Place, the books seem to get
> > > a bit punny, don't they? His latest efforts in the Xanth world are a
> > > little better. I think now that he isn't doing about three books at one
> > > time, he can concentrate better. His best, IMO, are the Incarnations!
> >
> > ***********
> > Has anyone read If I Pay Thee Not In Gold, by Piers & Misty? Definately worth
> > a look if you haven't.
> >
> > Just a thought.
>
> Haven't gotten to that one yet. Although I have seen some comments about it on
> other threads.
>
> > Wolfheart

I've read that one. It's definately worth it (unlike the Xanth novel "The
Color of Her Panties" which I'm reading now. I'm halfway tempted to go
find something else.)

Blazewing

> Fire Rose

Krissy Bee

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
Psst!! I just heard this from Fire Rose <Jasi...@mad.scientist.com>:

>Jessie wrote:
>
>> As someone who was introduced to the world of fantasy novels by piers
>> anthony's xanth novels (at a young age for that kind of material, now that
>> I look back) it sort of alternates. Some novels are very very very punny.
>> However, some aren't. They sort of alternate.
>
>I noticed that too. There was a time when he writes in his author notes about
>that girl named Jenny who was hit by a drunk driver. Considering that he got
>pretty close with her in their corresponds, his feelings might have been
>transferred into his book writing.

Did you know that a collection of his letters to Jenny were published?
I don't recall the exact title, but it was probably "Letters to Jenny"
<g>

I like the Incarnations series, and think the best one is his Evil
one. It has more depth than the others (as much as Anthony ever gets
at least) and I like how he portrayed that Incarnation. I liked the
first 3 Xanth books well enough, but couldn't get into #4 and never
read any of the rest. I have also read "Pthor" which was horrible.
Blech.

Kris
"If there's a buzzing-noise, somebody's
making a buzzing-noise, and the only reason
for making a buzzing-noise that I know of is
because you're a bee." Winnie-the Pooh

reply to: kwething <at> qn <dot> net

SnowCat

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
Fire Rose wrote:

> Jessie wrote:
> It's nice to hear of parents who aren't afraid to let there children expand
> their minds with books that others might not find appropriate. Good for him!

13 or 14 and I'm reading 'Time enough for Love' by Heinlein. ::snort::

> > His best, IMO, are the Incarnations!
> >

> > I adore the incarnations. On a pale horse is still one of my favourite
> > novels, and the series one of my favourite series.
>
> Yep. A friend of mine recommended his On a Pale Horse, knowing that I liked
> science fiction. I don't think that I put the book down for a whole day.
> When the mood strikes, I pick them up and read them all over again.

Yeah ... I like the first three ... then they kinda petered out ... though evil
was good, good was bleh.

--
SnowCat
The Ice Wench

"You are like a pair of Siamese cats rolled into one body." Silent Rage to me.

D'Cat McFreak, Ingrid MacDobhran
AIM = SnowCat48 ICQ# 21629465
High Priestess to the AFR Goddess of Love, Hopefilled Guardian of
Compassion and Possessor of Honorable Rescues
Pendent Initiate to the Guild of St. Wilde
IDIC

Edna

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
In article <380406B9...@earthlink.net>, Aoiryuu
<aoi...@earthlink.net> wrote:

: Following Crewel Lye are one or two gems. For example, Grey Murphy's
: tale, imo, was quite enjoyable. The rest is marshmellow fodder, having

: read through a Roc and a Hard Place, I can tell you from that standpoint

: you haven't missed much.

Agreed. I haven't figured out exactly where to cut off the Xanth series,
but I like the first x books, and found the last y books pretty bad.

Edna

---|)---------------------------------------------------------
---|---- Edna Huelsenbeck ------------------------------------
--/|---- hue...@ix.netcom.com -------------------------------
-| |')-- http://brahms.biology.rochester.edu/edna/edna.html --
--\|/---------------------------------------------------------

'

Edna

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
In article <3805ca8e...@news.qn.net>, kwet...@SPAMFREEZONE.qn.net
(Krissy Bee) wrote:

<snip>

: I like the Incarnations series, and think the best one is his Evil

: one. It has more depth than the others (as much as Anthony ever gets
: at least) and I like how he portrayed that Incarnation. I liked the
: first 3 Xanth books well enough, but couldn't get into #4 and never
: read any of the rest. I have also read "Pthor" which was horrible.
: Blech.

I liked the Evil one, too, of the Incarnations series. The first x Xanth
books are good, and the Adept ones too. I thought the Tarot books were
terrible, and the Anthonology (short stories) wasn't very good, either.

Rhino7

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
>I liked the Incarnations (at least the first three - that's as far as
>I got before I ended up breaking up with the guy who owned the books,
>and of course, I've been too lazy in the last 5 years since then to go
>out and get them myself...).
> -Sapphire.

There's seven - even though there were only five incarnations
announced in the first few books. I got caught by that series and it
was the one that made me swear never never never never to buy/read the
first book of a series ever ever ever ever again! (Vehement? Me?)

Actually I enjoyed them - but the wait! Gods!! The wait!!!

BTW, good news on the series front - C Q Yarbro has published a new
Saint Germain "Communion Blood" and has another one in the pipeline.

Two new Saint Germains!!! WOO HOO HOO!

The Bookwurm (running out of exclamation points)
--
Goddess of Libraries ™, Avatar of Gyre Hart,
Ex-Heretic Priestess of Coffee & Cheesecake

Jai

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
If by some chance you like horror novels....Try Piers's Firefly . It
left me shaking after I read it....and gave a whole new meaning to to
flashes you see in the summer, even though the thing is not a bug.
It is well written, IMHO, but once again I warn you, it IS a horror
novel.

Jai of Li
Kitsune of the seventh order
Daughter of the house of Li
Domestic Goddess of ABML
President of the Happy Campers club
Onee-Chan for a wonderful flying squirrel
When you reach the end of your rope,
tie a knot, hang on, and swing!!

Matrix Viking

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
On Thu, 14 Oct 1999 15:21:03 -0500, Fire Rose <Jasi...@mad.scientist.com>
wrote:

<snip>

>Me thinks I might need to do a Xanth refresher course!
>
>> >Matrix Viking wrote:
>> >*BLEAH!*
>>
>> I agree.
>
>I might have said that at the time that I read it! <GG>

Well, after the 4th or 5th book, I lost interest in the series altogether. I was
excited when he wrote Killobyte, tho. That was a good one.

Matrix Viking

ICQ #3572860
Junior Member in Training of the Brute Squad
God of Flirtation
Disciple of the Goddess of Chocolate
Disciple-Follower of the Serrated Edge
And distributor of Grape Pops

Matrix Viking

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
On Thu, 14 Oct 1999 14:07:15 -0500, Fire Rose <Jasi...@mad.scientist.com>
wrote:

<snip>

>> I also really liked the first three books of the Blue Adept series.
>> The next three were pretty stretched, and not so interesting, but
>> then, I have a lot of trouble with books (even when they're
>> well-written) that continue a series with the children of the main
>> character from the first book.

About the only series I've had that does that half-way decently well is the
'Guardians of the Flame' series by Joel Rosenberg. They're not huge novels by
any stretch of the road, but each one is compact and pretty well-written.

MV

Snowfire

Oct 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/17/99

Rhino7 wrote:

> BTW, good news on the series front - C Q Yarbro has published a new
> Saint Germain "Communion Blood" and has another one in the pipeline.
>
> Two new Saint Germains!!! WOO HOO HOO!

Yeaaaaaaah!!!! I love St.Germain! I didn't know she had any new ones
coming out. (Counting the hours until the bookstore opens <drool>)

Snowfire

> The Bookwurm (running out of exclamation points)

**sig snip**
--
=^..^= >^..^< =^..^= >^..^<
Snowfire

SPAMTRAPPED - remove CAT from address to reply
(If I have to remove them to use the computer, so do you.)
=^..^= >^..^< =^..^= >^..^<

Woof

Oct 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/18/99
Rhyme <rh...@gateway.net> wrote in message
> Just out of curiosity, has anyone read _Macroscope_? I know it's hard
> to find though...
>
> Rhyme

Mmm. Good book. But, to really understand what
is going on, you need to have a good, functional
understanding of Astrology (star signs), or a very
important set of clues won't make any sense...

Hey, what's up with this font? I reply to a post, and
it comes up in this strangeness...
--
Trifle not with the Alligator Tamer, for she
recognizes Alligators in all shapes, and

Sapphire

Oct 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/18/99
"Lur...@the.Threshold" <Cth...@Rlyeh.org> wrote:

[snip]
>Actually, I've enjoyed everything written by R.A.H. Some more than others
>of course. It took about a dozen tries to get through Stranger, finally
>finished it after I hit the big 3-0. I kind of think that TEFL, Beast and
>those that followed were designed to tie ALL of his stories together into an
>incoherent whole <grin>

Stranger in a Strange Land was the first Science Fiction book I ever
read. The only Sci-Fi/Fantasy books I'd read previous had been the
Lord of the Rings books, and I read those in 6th grade and didn't find
the rest of the SF section until 9th. I thought it was absolutely
wonderful, and went about reading pretty much every book in the school
library's SF/Fantasy section. I've tried re-reading it since then, and
haven't been able to get through it.
I think the main reason I devoured it so quickly the first time was
that I'd been reading Sweet Valley High books until my best friend
rescued me (I knew they were junk, but they were books, and I had
nothing else to read - reading junk is better than reading nothing).

Tesseract

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99
Sapphire wrote:

> I think the main reason I devoured it so quickly the first time was that I'd
> been reading Sweet Valley High books until my best friend rescued me (I knew
> they were junk, but they were books, and I had nothing else to read - reading
> junk is better than reading nothing).

How sad but true! I spent one summer reading my roommate's tattered romance
novels and discovered she was right, they ARE trash, and they ARE highly
entertaining! But Sweet Valley High... ! I read the first page of one one day
to see what they were feeding high school girls, and I fled screaming for the
hills!

Tess

elg...@erols.com

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99
On Sat, 16 Oct 1999 14:06:37 -0500, Fire Rose
<Jasi...@mad.scientist.com> wrote:

:}
:}
:}Jai wrote:
:}
:}> If by some chance you like horror novels....Try Piers's Firefly . It

:}> left me shaking after I read it....and gave a whole new meaning to to
:}> flashes you see in the summer, even though the thing is not a bug.
:}> It is well written, IMHO, but once again I warn you, it IS a horror
:}> novel.

:}
:}This one was a definite horror story. It scared me half to death and I
:}was looking over my shoulder at night for a long time after reading this
:}one! This was quite unlike anything I had read from him. It was a big
:}change from Xanth!
:}
:}> Jai of Li
:}
:}--Fire Rose

:}Twin GO of Birds
:}High Priestess to the GO of Equines
:}Disciple to the God of Flirtation
:}Icq # 52248285

:}
:}

I don't know. For some reason, I never find horror stories that
horrifying. <G> I have read Firefly, Kilobyte, and The Shade of the
Tree, and although I found them to be good stories, I was never
'shaking in my shoes' scared. I tried reading Weaveworld by Clive
Barker, and quit halfway through. It got boring. I never took to
Steven King, his stories were just too wordy.

Some of the better horror stroies that I liked were the Tales of the
Cthulu Mythos. Those IMHO were very good, and scary. One of my
favorite horror stories was 'And it was a Good Day'. I don't know who
the author was, but the story was made into a Twlight Zone Episode
with Billy Mumy in it. It also was a segment in the Twlight Zone Movie

On the flip side, I do not like to watch horror movies, especially
splatter fests. It raises my anxiety level way too high and I can't
sleep. Last night I was channel surfing and saw 5 minutes of Bride of
Chucky. That was it. I tossed & turned for 45 minutes before I settled
down again.

~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>
Elgion
ICQ #19202217
Rogue #396
...and we were wondrous merry!
~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>

Matrix Viking

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99
On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 11:52:43 GMT, elg...@erols.com wrote:

<snippage>

>I don't know. For some reason, I never find horror stories that
>horrifying. <G> I have read Firefly, Kilobyte, and The Shade of the
>Tree, and although I found them to be good stories, I was never
>'shaking in my shoes' scared. I tried reading Weaveworld by Clive
>Barker, and quit halfway through. It got boring. I never took to
>Steven King, his stories were just too wordy.

Oh good, I'm not the only one who found Weaveworld to be boring. You get kudos
from me, tho. I don't think I even made it past the first chapter. And I agree
with you on Steven King, though IT and THE STAND are supposed to be good. I
tried to read the one with author with the motorcycle that gets stopped by some
county cop...can't remember the name, but got bored.

Anyone ever read...L Ron Hubbard's Mission Earth series? Or Battlefield Earth?
Whadja think?

>Some of the better horror stroies that I liked were the Tales of the
>Cthulu Mythos. Those IMHO were very good, and scary. One of my
>favorite horror stories was 'And it was a Good Day'. I don't know who
>the author was, but the story was made into a Twlight Zone Episode
>with Billy Mumy in it. It also was a segment in the Twlight Zone Movie

I think my fave horror author, even if he is depressing, is Edgar Allen Poe. His
short, "The Eight-Chained Orangutans"(with apologies to Tris) made my hair
stand on end.

>On the flip side, I do not like to watch horror movies, especially
>splatter fests. It raises my anxiety level way too high and I can't
>sleep. Last night I was channel surfing and saw 5 minutes of Bride of
>Chucky. That was it. I tossed & turned for 45 minutes before I settled
>down again.

Have you seen 'The Sixth Sense"? When I was watching it, I thought it was a
horror flick at first. The last half hour, tho, puts you on the edge of your
seat.

Woof

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99
> I don't know. For some reason, I never find horror stories that
> horrifying. <G> I have read Firefly, Kilobyte, and The Shade of the
> Tree, and although I found them to be good stories, I was never
> 'shaking in my shoes' scared. I tried reading Weaveworld by Clive
> Barker, and quit halfway through. It got boring. I never took to
> Steven King, his stories were just too wordy.

I had that trouble reading King, and mostly gave up. But I did really
like "The Dead Zone" by King. That one spooked me out! But too many
of his other books start out with blood and gore, and I gave up. "Dead
Zone" is more of a mind thriller, with the absolute minimum of overt
violence (actually, I can't remember any grotesque scenes other than
a car accident...)

<snip>

> On the flip side, I do not like to watch horror movies, especially
> splatter fests. It raises my anxiety level way too high and I can't
> sleep. Last night I was channel surfing and saw 5 minutes of Bride of
> Chucky. That was it. I tossed & turned for 45 minutes before I settled
> down again.

Absolutely! I hate the splatter fests. But I will recommend a movie
that has been out for a while: "Flatliners". Short version: Medical
students find that researching the "life after death" issue can be more
distressing than they were expecting... That movie kept me awake,
staring at the ceiling many a night, wondering what will happen
when I shut my eyes... <shudder>

Similar in feeling, "Brainstorm" also shook me up. Officially it is
SciFi, but it has some interesting implications... Scientists create a
headset that can record exactly what someone is experiencing,
and then play it back for somebody else... <wow>

mark mcgovern

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99

Woof <wo...@vei.net> wrote in message

> Absolutely! I hate the splatter fests. But I will recommend a movie
> that has been out for a while: "Flatliners". Short version: Medical
> students find that researching the "life after death" issue can be more
> distressing than they were expecting... That movie kept me awake,
> staring at the ceiling many a night, wondering what will happen
> when I shut my eyes... <shudder>

I didn't find it all that disturbing (provided we're talking about the same
movie). The 2 scenes I remember most, is (1) where one of the guys looks up
a girl he tormented in school and apologizes to her. And (2) where a former
school bully has one of the guys he tormented out to kill him.

> Similar in feeling, "Brainstorm" also shook me up. Officially it is
> SciFi, but it has some interesting implications... Scientists create a
> headset that can record exactly what someone is experiencing,
> and then play it back for somebody else... <wow>
> --

Not something you want to be wearing when the former wearer had been in a
car accident (or worse), although for rape victims, I'd bet they'd gleefully
wear it and then put it on the head of their assailant!

Susan

mark mcgovern

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99

<elg...@erols.com> wrote in message news:380b915f...@news.erols.com...

<lots of snippage>

> On the flip side, I do not like to watch horror movies, especially
> splatter fests. It raises my anxiety level way too high and I can't
> sleep. Last night I was channel surfing and saw 5 minutes of Bride of
> Chucky. That was it. I tossed & turned for 45 minutes before I settled
> down again.

Why is that? When I was a teenager, I stayed up all night reading _Jaws_
because it was so fascinating that I wasn't watching the time. I can't
watch the movie, however. It's one thing to read it. You can close the
book, think of something else, whatever. But once you SEE it, it's with you
forever!

Susan

Krissy Bee

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99
Psst!! I just heard this from elg...@erols.com:

>I don't know. For some reason, I never find horror stories that
>horrifying. <G> I have read Firefly, Kilobyte, and The Shade of the
>Tree, and although I found them to be good stories, I was never
>'shaking in my shoes' scared. I tried reading Weaveworld by Clive
>Barker, and quit halfway through. It got boring. I never took to
>Steven King, his stories were just too wordy.

--snip--

>On the flip side, I do not like to watch horror movies, especially
>splatter fests. It raises my anxiety level way too high and I can't
>sleep. Last night I was channel surfing and saw 5 minutes of Bride of
>Chucky. That was it. I tossed & turned for 45 minutes before I settled
>down again.

For me it is usually the other way around. I find most "horror"
movies to be rather dumb. At least the kind that rely on supernatural
creatures and stupid victims. Give me something a little more
plausible and I enjoy it more. Thrillers as opposed to horror, I
guess you'd say. I did like The Seventh Sign and The Serpent and the
Rainbow when I saw them in high school.

As for novels, I never got into those either, but the few that I read
had more affect on me than movies ever did. I actually refused to
continue reading Pet Sematary once it got to the point where the dad
buried the kid. Last Steven King book I ever read.

Rhyme

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99
Woof wrote:

> Mmm. Good book. But, to really understand what
> is going on, you need to have a good, functional
> understanding of Astrology (star signs), or a very
> important set of clues won't make any sense...

I was curious, I believe it was the first Piers Anthony I read. And
re-read. And again. (Yes I had to replace the book....)
Some things stuck in my head and haven't been able to get them out...

Rhyme

Cth...@rlyeh.org

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99
Matrix Viking <quartz8...@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message

| On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 11:52:43 GMT, elg...@erols.com wrote:
|
| <snippage>
|
| >I don't know. For some reason, I never find horror stories that
| >horrifying. <G> I have read Firefly, Kilobyte, and The Shade of the
| >Tree, and although I found them to be good stories, I was never
| >'shaking in my shoes' scared. I tried reading Weaveworld by Clive
| >Barker, and quit halfway through. It got boring. I never took to
| >Steven King, his stories were just too wordy.

I haven't read any of Anthony's horrors, dont think I've read Weaveworld
either.

<snip>

| Anyone ever read...L Ron Hubbard's Mission Earth series? Or Battlefield
Earth?
| Whadja think?

I actually enjoyed both Battlefield Earth and the Mission Earth series. Got
the ME series as first edition hardcovers, picked up the first one 'cause I
like Hubbards Space Opera style of writing, before I realized it was going
to be part of a 10 volume set, and followed up with the rest.

| >Some of the better horror stroies that I liked were the Tales of the
| >Cthulu Mythos. Those IMHO were very good, and scary. One of my
| >favorite horror stories was 'And it was a Good Day'. I don't know who
| >the author was, but the story was made into a Twlight Zone Episode
| >with Billy Mumy in it. It also was a segment in the Twlight Zone Movie

Love reading Lovecraft, and almost anything based in his worlds.

| I think my fave horror author, even if he is depressing, is Edgar Allen
Poe. His
| short, "The Eight-Chained Orangutans"(with apologies to Tris) made my
hair
| stand on end.

Also a most excellent scary author.

<snip

--
Do not hit reply, it is Spam trapped. E-mail me at: jamesh at optonline dot
net

Bend the facts to fit the conclusion. It's easier that way.

Aoiryuu

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99
I challenge you to try to find all the similarities ^ _ ^

*

Fire Rose wrote:

> Aoiryuu wrote:
>
> > Joanna wrote:
> >
> > > The only question I have, is why didn't I read these sooner? <G>
> >
> > Joanna, while Bardic Voices isss kind of fun with the new setting and all,
> > issssn't jusst a rrepeat of ML's formula? Can't you just see all those
> > tavern jobs being replayed all over the place, eg in Vanyel? And Larrk's
> > experience isn't very much different from Talia's other than her greater
> > initiative, isssn't it? Can you see the similarities between their tutors in
> > music? I'm not a little upset about being fed the same plot and the same
> > scenes in multiplicity. Is anyone else noticing this occuring? = /
>
> Well, I actually haven't read the Valdemar books in about a 1 1/2 years. I can
> remember certain characters and places, but a lot of the time, if the info is
> not in detail, I tend to get lost. I think it might be time to dig those books
> out of there prison! <G>
>

> > *

Rhino7

Oct 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/20/99
>I don't know. For some reason, I never find horror stories that
>horrifying. <G> I have read Firefly, Kilobyte, and The Shade of the
>Tree, and although I found them to be good stories, I was never
>'shaking in my shoes' scared. I tried reading Weaveworld by Clive
>Barker, and quit halfway through. It got boring. I never took to
>Steven King, his stories were just too wordy.
>
>Elgion

I enjoyed Weaveworld. It was, I readily admit, long. But I really
enjoyed the depth of all the characters. NO-ONE was exempt from
"changing sides" - the "good guy" at the beginning wimps out, the
"evil woman" ends up helping at the end. The characters wove in and
around each other. It isn't an easy read - but I thought it was
rewarding in it's complexity.

The Bookwurm (who doesn't read horror - just vampire books <G>)

Simon

Oct 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/20/99
On or about Tue, 19 Oct 1999 19:56:40 GMT, mark mcgovern wrote:

><elg...@erols.com> wrote in message news:380b915f...@news.erols.com...
>
><lots of snippage>
>

>> On the flip side, I do not like to watch horror movies, especially
>> splatter fests. It raises my anxiety level way too high and I can't
>> sleep. Last night I was channel surfing and saw 5 minutes of Bride of
>> Chucky. That was it. I tossed & turned for 45 minutes before I settled
>> down again.
>>

>Why is that? When I was a teenager, I stayed up all night reading _Jaws_
>because it was so fascinating that I wasn't watching the time. I can't
>watch the movie, however. It's one thing to read it. You can close the
>book, think of something else, whatever. But once you SEE it, it's with you
>forever!

That may be because the author of the book 'Jaws', Peter Benchley, is
a very good writer. It's just that he seems to wander all over the
genre map. Recommended especially: 'Q clearance', a political/spy
thriller, and 'Lush', about drying out. Both very funny. Oh, and 'The
girl from the Sea of Cortes', which isn't funny but is very good.

--
Simon van Dongen <sg...@xs4all.nl> Rotterdam, The Netherlands
'My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a

Dawnfire

Oct 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/20/99
On Mon, 18 Oct 1999 18:02:52 GMT, sapphir...@iname.com (Sapphire)

wrote:
>I think the main reason I devoured it so quickly the first time was
>that I'd been reading Sweet Valley High books until my best friend
>rescued me (I knew they were junk, but they were books, and I had
>nothing else to read - reading junk is better than reading nothing).

Ooooh, a fellow sufferer of young reading in the 80's......
I shudder at some of the stuff I used to read--I read a *lot* of those
awful serial thingies during elementary and junior high, and used to
gripe about having read all the good books in the world already-- why
didn't anybody TELL me there were so many more if I only knew where to
look!?!?!?

Anybody else occasionally feel a twinge of despair in Borders or
Barnes &Noble because you suddenly realise how many wonderful
wonderful books there are, and you'll never find or have time to read
ALL of them? :)

Everyone I tell that to thinks it's weird... <g>

Dawnfire

--
ICQ# 3467596
SPAMblocked: remove the "SPAM" after "k" to reply

Kevin Lighton

Oct 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/20/99
elg...@erols.com wrote:

[snip]

> One of my
> favorite horror stories was 'And it was a Good Day'. I don't know who
> the author was, but the story was made into a Twlight Zone Episode
> with Billy Mumy in it. It also was a segment in the Twlight Zone Movie

Sounds like you might be thinking of "It's a _Good_ Life" by Jerome Bixby.

Ja, mata
Kevin

Woof

Oct 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/20/99
> > Absolutely! I hate the splatter fests. But I will recommend a movie
> > that has been out for a while: "Flatliners". Short version: Medical
>
> I didn't find it all that disturbing (provided we're talking about the
same
> movie). The 2 scenes I remember most, is (1) where one of the guys looks
up
> a girl he tormented in school and apologizes to her. And (2) where a
former
> school bully has one of the guys he tormented out to kill him.

Yeah, that's the movie. I guess it just got me thinking: what would *my*
private hell be like? <shudder> THAT kept me awake for hours...
The movie itself wasn't all that scary, but the thoughts and feelings it
triggered stayed with me for days, and that, to me, means it was a
successfull movie...

> > Similar in feeling, "Brainstorm" also shook me up. Officially it is
> > SciFi, but it has some interesting implications... Scientists create a
> > headset that can record exactly what someone is experiencing,
> > and then play it back for somebody else... <wow>
>

> Not something you want to be wearing when the former wearer had been in a
> car accident (or worse), although for rape victims, I'd bet they'd
gleefully
> wear it and then put it on the head of their assailant!

Not wanting to give details away, since it really is a great movie to
rent, but I will say that you have to be careful what you record,
because whatever the recorder feels, the player feels, *exactly*.
(And yes, at least one scene does involve somebody replaying
the recording of sex.)

Edna

Oct 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/20/99
In article <Cl7P3.101$oB5.8...@news.optonline.net>,
"Lur...@the.Threshold" <Cth...@Rlyeh.org> wrote:

: Love reading Lovecraft, and almost anything based in his worlds.

I've only tried Lovecraft once, in college. I borrowed a book from a
friend, and sat down to read it one night. The fire alarm kept going off
that night. After peeling myself off the ceiling a few times, I got a
little tired of it!

C M

Oct 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/20/99
On Wed, 20 Oct 1999 12:57:15 -0400, hue...@ix.netcom.com (Edna)
wrote:

>In article <Cl7P3.101$oB5.8...@news.optonline.net>,
>"Lur...@the.Threshold" <Cth...@Rlyeh.org> wrote:
>
>: Love reading Lovecraft, and almost anything based in his worlds.
>
>I've only tried Lovecraft once, in college. I borrowed a book from a
>friend, and sat down to read it one night. The fire alarm kept going off
>that night. After peeling myself off the ceiling a few times, I got a
>little tired of it!

Are you sure it was Lovecraft? Its "The King in Yellow" that's
supposed to cause electrical devices to act weird....Let me just look
it up in the Necronomicon ....or was it in Unspeakable Cults...
~~~~~ "I found out why my car was humming.
\\|||||// It had forgotten the words."
\\\\\|/////
\\\\\|///// copper_...@yahoo.com
\\\\|////
\\|//
#
#
#
# The Copper Squirrel is not in his tree. He's gathering
# nuts for winter. So far he's gotten Ross Perot, Patrick
# Buchanon and and a fox that keeps saying he's with the
# FBI and wants to know about the Squirrels In Black...

Bruce Grant

Oct 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/21/99
Matrix Viking <quartz8...@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in article
<381182ab...@news.viser.net>...

> On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 11:52:43 GMT, elg...@erols.com wrote:
>
> <snippage>
>
> Anyone ever read...L Ron Hubbard's Mission Earth series? Or
> Battlefield Earth? Whadja think?

The snowkitty fluffs his fur up and lays his ears back, tail lashing
like a thick striped rope. "I've read Mission Earth - once, and that
was enough for me. It's a bit of a hard slog, and I could never really
get into Hubbard's style. Too much like an adultified (adulterated?)
Piers Anthony in Xanth mode for my taste. I kept at it as each new book
came out, though, I kept thinking it _had_ to get better, but it
didn't: #10 was IMHO pretty much the same as #1."

"Looking back on it, I get the impression Hubbard was trying to do a
gung-ho space opera, but not quite getting it right. Maybe my opinion's
coloured by all the $cient0logy junk he did, but the best I can say is
that to me at least ME's the nearest thing to a readable story he ever
wrote.* I'm not quite sure how it went wrong. Maybe it's just too long,
and there's only so many ways the action can be slowed down for the
next book - not a good idea for what's essentially an action-adventure
yarn."

The snowkitty hacks up a hairball of memories and goes to read some
more of Vinge's Fire Upon The Deep until he feels better.

*(If he did - anyone remember all those rumours in the fan community
when Hubbard's death was reported? And yes, that was deliberately
phrased.)

Bruce

--
PGP public key available on ldap://certserver.pgp.com
EMail: bgr...@furhold.ifb.nospam.co.uk (Reply-To: is spamtrapped)

elg...@erols.com

Oct 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/21/99
On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 14:44:40 GMT, quartz8...@nospamhotmail.com
(Matrix Viking) wrote:

:}>
:}>Some of the better horror stroies that I liked were the Tales of the
:}>Cthulu Mythos. Those IMHO were very good, and scary. One of my

:}>favorite horror stories was 'And it was a Good Day'. I don't know who
:}>the author was, but the story was made into a Twlight Zone Episode
:}>with Billy Mumy in it. It also was a segment in the Twlight Zone Movie

:}
:}I think my fave horror author, even if he is depressing, is Edgar Allen Poe. His

:}short, "The Eight-Chained Orangutans"(with apologies to Tris) made my hair
:}stand on end.

I think the earlier horror writers (Poe, Lovecraft, Shelly) had a
better grasp on what was really horrific to people. They had a handle
on the human psyche and knew how to twist for the most effect. They
also could do it without tossing blood and gore around.

Earlier horror films also were better in certain respects. Have you
ever seen The Mummy with Boris Karloff? There was never any blood
shown in the movie, and the scene where the mummy is first brought to
life as the archeologist reads the papyrus scroll is really unnerving.

No music, no sound effects, just the sound of this man quietly reading
this scroll while the mummy slowly starts to move behind him. Creepy!

:}
:}>
:}>On the flip side, I do not like to watch horror movies, especially

:}>splatter fests. It raises my anxiety level way too high and I can't
:}>sleep. Last night I was channel surfing and saw 5 minutes of Bride of
:}>Chucky. That was it. I tossed & turned for 45 minutes before I settled
:}>down again.

:}
:}Have you seen 'The Sixth Sense"? When I was watching it, I thought it was a

:}horror flick at first. The last half hour, tho, puts you on the edge of your
:}seat.

No, not yet. I'll probably catch it as a rental or on cable. I just
spent too much money on DVD's at Costco last night. <G>

:}
:}MV
:}

elg...@erols.com

Oct 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/21/99
On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 11:35:43 -0400, "Woof" <wo...@vei.net> wrote:

[...]

I saw Flatliners. That was very good.

Wondering what's going to happen when it's your time to cross over?
Check out the HBO special America Undercover series that's airing this
month. I think it's called Afterlife. It shows a number of very good
psychics doing what they do best. They focus on George Anderson and
John Edward. I used to watch George in the early days when he was on
local cable and my daughter has met John Edward because she's into
ballroom dancing like he is, and their paths cross now and then.
:}
:}Similar in feeling, "Brainstorm" also shook me up. Officially it is

:}SciFi, but it has some interesting implications... Scientists create a
:}headset that can record exactly what someone is experiencing,
:}and then play it back for somebody else... <wow>

That was Natalie Woods' last picture wasn't it? I think she died
before they finished it and they had to rearrange the story a bit to
fill in the missing pieces that she didn't film.

:}--

:}Trifle not with the Alligator Tamer, for she
:}recognizes Alligators in all shapes, and
:}she may be seeking a new pair of boots...
:}woof (at) vei (dot) net -- Deputy Alligator Tamer

:}
:}

elg...@erols.com

Oct 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/21/99
On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 19:56:40 GMT, "mark mcgovern" <mark...@home.com>
wrote:

:}
[...]

I think it's a combination of the director's visual images and the
backround music. When you read a book, the imagery is all from your
own thoughts. You make them as graphic as you want to be. Watching a
movie, is like being on a graphic roller coaster where the director
decides what twists and turns you'll experience. You have no control
and are just along for the ride.

elg...@erols.com

Oct 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/21/99
On Wed, 20 Oct 1999 09:02:13 GMT, Kevin Lighton
<lig...@monet.bestweb.net> wrote:

:}elg...@erols.com wrote:
:}
:}[snip]
:}
:}> One of my

:}> favorite horror stories was 'And it was a Good Day'. I don't know who
:}> the author was, but the story was made into a Twlight Zone Episode
:}> with Billy Mumy in it. It also was a segment in the Twlight Zone Movie
:}

:}Sounds like you might be thinking of "It's a _Good_ Life" by Jerome Bixby.
:}
:}Ja, mata
:}Kevin

You're probably right. I'll have to check my bookshelf tonight. I know
it was in a volume of short stories called 'Tomorrow's Children'
edited by Isaac Asimov.

Woof

Oct 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/21/99
<snips>

> :}Similar in feeling, "Brainstorm" also shook me up. Officially it is
> :}SciFi, but it has some interesting implications... Scientists create a
> :}headset that can record exactly what someone is experiencing,
> :}and then play it back for somebody else... <wow>
>
> That was Natalie Woods' last picture wasn't it? I think she died
> before they finished it and they had to rearrange the story a bit to
> fill in the missing pieces that she didn't film.

Yep. She died before they finished filming. There is some info about
the movie at the International Movie Database (um, http://www.imdb.com
??) and maybe on amazon in their movies section...

Well worth renting.

Matrix Viking

Oct 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/21/99
On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 23:42:26 GMT, "Lur...@the.Threshold" <Cth...@Rlyeh.org>
wrote:

<snippage>

>| Anyone ever read...L Ron Hubbard's Mission Earth series? Or Battlefield
>Earth?
>| Whadja think?
>

>I actually enjoyed both Battlefield Earth and the Mission Earth series. Got
>the ME series as first edition hardcovers, picked up the first one 'cause I
>like Hubbards Space Opera style of writing, before I realized it was going
>to be part of a 10 volume set, and followed up with the rest.

ME was great, but I had a problem with BE. To me, it seemed that Danny 'Goodboy'
was almost *too* perfect, too good of a hero. Hubbard did everything but say,
"Look here's the hero!" and light him up in pink neon.

Tristaan

Oct 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/21/99
Amethyst stomped through my brain with:

><a little elven hand raises> I do! Though not as badly as my husband
>seems to. He comes close to crying when it's time to leave because he
>only had enough money for 12 books when there were 57 he desperately
>wanted.... <laff>

Only 57? You apparently haven't been paying enough attention.
Typically, I could walk off with the entire Sci-fi section, math
section, computer section, and science section of Borders and STILL
not be satisfied...

Tristaan
Ogre-Monk, ICQ# 14668166
God of Grilled-SPAM™, Disciple of Babble
Assistant Librarian/Orangutan, Pedant Junior Grade 4th Class
Husband of Amethyst, Co-Owner of The Ogre and the Elf
Violinist for the ABML out-of-practice-musicians band
Keyboard Martyr
Keeper of the ABML Cookbook
Remove SPAM trap to reply
Ala ShakespOok: "I ook, there for I am..." or in the original
"Cogooko Eepo Sum"

Amethyst

Oct 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/21/99

:
:Everyone I tell that to thinks it's weird... <g>

:
<a little elven hand raises> I do! Though not as badly as my husband
seems to. He comes close to crying when it's time to leave because he
only had enough money for 12 books when there were 57 he desperately
wanted.... <laff>

~Amethyst

Remove COOKIES from address to reply

ICQ #15784499
Wife and Life-Bonded of Tristaan
Follower of the Goddess of Unfinished Projects
Co-Proprieter of The Ogre and the Elf
Holder of a Pedant Licenc/se
"Of course I'm paranoid! Everyone's trying to kill me!"
-Weyoune, from Deep Space 9

Amethyst

Oct 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/21/99
On Thu, 21 Oct 1999 16:21:03 GMT, rmar...@i.hate.spam.ptd.net
(Tristaan) wrote:

:Amethyst stomped through my brain with:
:
:><a little elven hand raises> I do! Though not as badly as my husband

:>seems to. He comes close to crying when it's time to leave because he
:>only had enough money for 12 books when there were 57 he desperately
:>wanted.... <laff>

:
:Only 57? You apparently haven't been paying enough attention.

:Typically, I could walk off with the entire Sci-fi section, math
:section, computer section, and science section of Borders and STILL
:not be satisfied...

:
Well, I was trying to not over-state things. And, while I know that
you could happily buy all of the above, there are only certain books
which you _desperately_ want, right?

~Amethyst (not wrong. Never. Not even once.)

Captain Wolf

Oct 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/21/99
: (Dawnfire) wrote:

: :Anybody else occasionally feel a twinge of despair in Borders or
: :Barnes &Noble because you suddenly realise how many wonderful
: :wonderful books there are, and you'll never find or have time to read
: :ALL of them? :)
: :
: :Everyone I tell that to thinks it's weird... <g>

: :
: <a little elven hand raises> I do! Though not as badly as my husband

: seems to. He comes close to crying when it's time to leave because he
: only had enough money for 12 books when there were 57 he desperately
: wanted.... <laff>

57? Is that ALL?

<sad sigh>Between COMPUTER books, adult SF&F, historical (and sometimes
histerical) MYSTERIES, and MUSIC books not to mention the juveniles(sp), I
would have to estimate at least twice that many (if I had the money).
<sigh>

Books, BOoks, BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MUST HAVE MORE BOOKS!!!!!!!!

<cough><cough>Sorry about that. I'm better now.

Wolf
Bard
--
May the Lords of Luck and Chance be always at your side,
and may your hand always be a winner.

Captain Wolf http://www.rahul.net/starwolf/shm

Cth...@rlyeh.org

Oct 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/21/99
C M <copper_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

| On Wed, 20 Oct 1999 12:57:15 -0400, hue...@ix.netcom.com (Edna)
| wrote:
|
| >In article <Cl7P3.101$oB5.8...@news.optonline.net>,
| >"Lur...@the.Threshold" <Cth...@Rlyeh.org> wrote:
| >
| >: Love reading Lovecraft, and almost anything based in his worlds.
| >
| >I've only tried Lovecraft once, in college. I borrowed a book from a
| >friend, and sat down to read it one night. The fire alarm kept going off
| >that night. After peeling myself off the ceiling a few times, I got a
| >little tired of it!
| >
| Are you sure it was Lovecraft? Its "The King in Yellow" that's
| supposed to cause electrical devices to act weird....Let me just look
| it up in the Necronomicon ....or was it in Unspeakable Cults...
| ~~~~~ "I found out why my car was humming.
| \\|||||// It had forgotten the words."
| \\\\\|/////
| \\\\\|///// copper_...@yahoo.com
| \\\\|////

Actually I think it's in the Pnakotic Manuscripts. <VBG>

--
Do not hit reply, it is Spam trapped. E-mail me at: jamesh at optonline dot
net
Back on ICQ at: 40076257
And for you automated email spammers out there,
rhu...@fcc.gov jqu...@fcc.gov sn...@fcc.gov rch...@fcc.gov

For THIS I bought a computer?

C M

Oct 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/21/99
On 21 Oct 1999 03:12:08 GMT, "Bruce Grant"
<bgr...@furhold.ifb."nospam".co.uk> wrote:

>Matrix Viking <quartz8...@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in article
><381182ab...@news.viser.net>...

>> On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 11:52:43 GMT, elg...@erols.com wrote:
>>
>> <snippage>
>>
>> Anyone ever read...L Ron Hubbard's Mission Earth series? Or
>> Battlefield Earth? Whadja think?
>

>The snowkitty fluffs his fur up and lays his ears back, tail lashing
>like a thick striped rope. "I've read Mission Earth - once, and that
>was enough for me. It's a bit of a hard slog, and I could never really
>get into Hubbard's style. Too much like an adultified (adulterated?)
>Piers Anthony in Xanth mode for my taste. I kept at it as each new book
>came out, though, I kept thinking it _had_ to get better, but it
>didn't: #10 was IMHO pretty much the same as #1."
>
>"Looking back on it, I get the impression Hubbard was trying to do a
>gung-ho space opera, but not quite getting it right. Maybe my opinion's
>coloured by all the $cient0logy junk he did, but the best I can say is
>that to me at least ME's the nearest thing to a readable story he ever
>wrote.* I'm not quite sure how it went wrong. Maybe it's just too long,
>and there's only so many ways the action can be slowed down for the
>next book - not a good idea for what's essentially an action-adventure
>yarn."
>
>The snowkitty hacks up a hairball of memories and goes to read some
>more of Vinge's Fire Upon The Deep until he feels better.
>
>*(If he did - anyone remember all those rumours in the fan community
>when Hubbard's death was reported? And yes, that was deliberately
>phrased.)

I've seen his old work and 'his' new work. At best I'd say he
wrote an outline and let his acolytes write the rest. And I never
thought much of his writing in the first place. I rather think that
the sole purpose of the books was to establish a better name for
himself among SF fandom.( who consider him at best a joke and know all
about his declaration that the way to get rich is to start your own
religion(just ask Jim and Tammy)). I suspect his sales are the same
as his "best-selling" Dianetics in that his zombies went out and
bought lots of copies.

~~~~~ "I found out why my car was humming.
\\|||||// It had forgotten the words."
\\\\\|/////
\\\\\|///// copper_...@yahoo.com
\\\\|////

C M

Oct 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/21/99
On Thu, 21 Oct 1999 22:06:20 GMT, "Lur...@the.Threshold"
<Cth...@Rlyeh.org> wrote:

>C M <copper_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>| On Wed, 20 Oct 1999 12:57:15 -0400, hue...@ix.netcom.com (Edna)
>| wrote:
>|
>| >In article <Cl7P3.101$oB5.8...@news.optonline.net>,
>| >"Lur...@the.Threshold" <Cth...@Rlyeh.org> wrote:
>| >
>| >: Love reading Lovecraft, and almost anything based in his worlds.
>| >
>| >I've only tried Lovecraft once, in college. I borrowed a book from a
>| >friend, and sat down to read it one night. The fire alarm kept going off
>| >that night. After peeling myself off the ceiling a few times, I got a
>| >little tired of it!
>| >
>| Are you sure it was Lovecraft? Its "The King in Yellow" that's
>| supposed to cause electrical devices to act weird....Let me just look
>| it up in the Necronomicon ....or was it in Unspeakable Cults...

>| ~~~~~ "I found out why my car was humming.
>| \\|||||// It had forgotten the words."
>| \\\\\|/////
>| \\\\\|///// copper_...@yahoo.com
>| \\\\|////
>

>Actually I think it's in the Pnakotic Manuscripts. <VBG>

Would that be the original or the revised with annotations and
illustrations? If its the second I'm not gonna look it up. How do
you think I got an evil twin?

Smrgol };>~

Oct 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/22/99
The Sixth Sense is a wonderful movie. The story is good, and does not rely
on the "big screen", it will do well on video.

DO NOT! repeat DO NOT! let anyone tell you the story or the ending! It
will definitely spoil it.

I have just picked up the DVD of Blair Witch Project, missed it in the
theater. (And Ferris Buhler's Day Off too)

To get this back on topic, I've just started "The Lark and the Kestrel" I'm
up to the point where they have gotten to the Waymeet and have found out
about the Guild and Church forcing out the Free Bards

Smrgol
--

/\ | /\ Life is too important to be taken seriously
{o\/o}
\ / Remove xyzzy in E-Mail
oo (You're at the end of the road again)

Fur Code:
FDD[Kiryn]hmu3as A- C- D H+ M- P R T+ W-- Z- Sm- RLCI/CT/AT a++ cmnu++ d+
e++ f-- h* i+ j p- sm-e

Cth...@rlyeh.org

Oct 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/22/99

| On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 23:42:26 GMT, "Lur...@the.Threshold"
<Cth...@Rlyeh.org>
| wrote:
|
| <snippage>

| >|
| >| Anyone ever read...L Ron Hubbard's Mission Earth series? Or Battlefield
| >Earth?
| >| Whadja think?
| >
| >I actually enjoyed both Battlefield Earth and the Mission Earth series.
Got
| >the ME series as first edition hardcovers, picked up the first one 'cause
| >like Hubbards Space Opera style of writing, before I realized it was
going
| >to be part of a 10 volume set, and followed up with the rest.
|
| ME was great, but I had a problem with BE. To me, it seemed that Danny
'Goodboy'
| was almost *too* perfect, too good of a hero. Hubbard did everything but
say,
| "Look here's the hero!" and light him up in pink neon.
|
| MV

Oh I agree about BE, but if you read his forward it was supposed to be like
that. A true Space Opera in the classic sense. BTW Robert Palmer is still
very good in concert.

--
Do not hit reply, it is Spam trapped. E-mail me at: jamesh at optonline dot
net
Back on ICQ at: 40076257
And for you automated email spammers out there,
rhu...@fcc.gov jqu...@fcc.gov sn...@fcc.gov rch...@fcc.gov

Error in operator: add beer

Cth...@rlyeh.org

Oct 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/22/99

| On Thu, 21 Oct 1999 22:06:20 GMT, "Lur...@the.Threshold"
| <Cth...@Rlyeh.org> wrote:
|
| >C M <copper_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| >| On Wed, 20 Oct 1999 12:57:15 -0400, hue...@ix.netcom.com (Edna)
| >| wrote:
| >|

| >| Are you sure it was Lovecraft? Its "The King in Yellow" that's
| >| supposed to cause electrical devices to act weird....Let me just look
| >| it up in the Necronomicon ....or was it in Unspeakable Cults...

| >Actually I think it's in the Pnakotic Manuscripts. <VBG>
| Would that be the original or the revised with annotations and
| illustrations? If its the second I'm not gonna look it up. How do
| you think I got an evil twin?
|
| ~~~~~ "I found out why my car was humming.
| \\|||||// It had forgotten the words."
| \\\\\|/////
| \\\\\|///// copper_...@yahoo.com
| \\\\|////

The original, of course it helps to be able to read R'lyhan.

--
Do not hit reply, it is Spam trapped. E-mail me at: jamesh at optonline dot
net
Back on ICQ at: 40076257
And for you automated email spammers out there,
rhu...@fcc.gov jqu...@fcc.gov sn...@fcc.gov rch...@fcc.gov

'the' is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation

Woof

Oct 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/22/99
Smrgol };>~ <Smr...@worldnet.att.netxyzzy> wrote in message

> The Sixth Sense is a wonderful movie. The story is good, and does not
rely
> on the "big screen", it will do well on video.

Is it out in video? I'm gonna have to get my VCR fixed... <grumble>

> To get this back on topic, I've just started "The Lark and the Kestrel"
I'm
> up to the point where they have gotten to the Waymeet and have found out
> about the Guild and Church forcing out the Free Bards
>
> Smrgol

Um, methinks thou are a bit confused. "The Lark and the Wren",
"The Robin and the Kestrel", and "The Eagle and the Nightengale."

I *KNOW* the first book is Lark and Wren, because it is sitting
next to me... (_fun_ to read during lunch!)

William George Ferguson

Oct 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/22/99
C M <copper_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
[responding to L.Ron Hubbard comments]

> I've seen his old work and 'his' new work. At best I'd say he
>wrote an outline and let his acolytes write the rest. And I never
>thought much of his writing in the first place. I rather think that
>the sole purpose of the books was to establish a better name for
>himself among SF fandom.( who consider him at best a joke and know all
>about his declaration that the way to get rich is to start your own
>religion(just ask Jim and Tammy)). I suspect his sales are the same
>as his "best-selling" Dianetics in that his zombies went out and
>bought lots of copies.

Hubbard was a reasonably good sf writer. He was known and respected
in the field for over a decade before he (in Isaac Asimov's wonderful
description) 'sold his medium for a pot of message'.

For a variety of reasons, I never read the Mision: Earth/Battleground:
Earth/whatever books. The main reason, they just didn't appeal to me
(and I'm a sucker for good space opera).

Susan Sebranek

Oct 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/22/99

Lur...@the.Threshold <Cth...@Rlyeh.org> wrote in message
wrote in message

> | ME was great, but I had a problem with BE. To me, it seemed that Danny
> 'Goodboy'
> | was almost *too* perfect, too good of a hero. Hubbard did everything but
> say,
> | "Look here's the hero!" and light him up in pink neon.
> |
> | MV
>
> Oh I agree about BE, but if you read his forward it was supposed to be
like
> that. A true Space Opera in the classic sense. BTW Robert Palmer is
still
> very good in concert.

Anyone remember watching Robert Palmer on MTV, when he had that female band
behind him? I remember two songs he did with them. Well, Shania Twain is
copying him. Her song, "Man, I feel like a woman, " on VH 1 has a male band
behind her. It's so obviously a mirror image. They copy the moves and
camera shots perfectly! I just had to watch the entire thing, and I don't
like Shania Twain. I just about died, laughing. I was lucky, and got it on
tape, so I rewatch it, peroidically.

Susan

Tristaan

Oct 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/22/99
Amethyst stomped through my brain with:

>Well, I was trying to not over-state things. And, while I know that

>you could happily buy all of the above, there are only certain books
>which you _desperately_ want, right?

Well....yeah...that is true. However, I'm always open to trying new
authors. That's how I found Pterry and Misty originally. I got these
books by accident through the SFBC, tried them out (hey, I had them,
why not read them?), and fell in love.

C M

Oct 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/22/99

I've read his early stuff. It didn't age well. Unlike Asimov or
any of the others. A lot of the early SF is ludicrous now, but still
quite readable, Jirel of Joiry for instance, early Heinlein, Doc Smith
and so forth.

~~~~~ "I found out why my car was humming.
\\|||||// It had forgotten the words."
\\\\\|/////
\\\\\|///// copper_...@yahoo.com
\\\\|////

Fire Rose

Oct 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/24/99

Smrgol };>~ wrote:

> To get this back on topic, I've just started "The Lark and the Kestrel" I'm
> up to the point where they have gotten to the Waymeet and have found out
> about the Guild and Church forcing out the Free Bards

<bang, stomp, bang>

<Fire Rose is seen trying to beat the RL Beastie down long enough to post>Uhm,
I think it's the Robin and the Kestrel. =)

I'm up to the Eagle and the Nightingales. Good book series so far. Enjoying
it immensely!

> Smrgol
> --
> |
> /\ | /\ Life is too important to be taken seriously
> {o\/o}
> \ / Remove xyzzy in E-Mail
> oo (You're at the end of the road again)

Fire Rose
Twin GO of Birds
High Priestess to the GO of Equines
Disciple to the God of Flirtation
Icq # 52248285

Wendy j

Oct 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/24/99

Smrgol };>~ <Smr...@worldnet.att.netxyzzy> wrote in message

> I have just picked up the DVD of Blair Witch Project, missed it in the

> theater. (And Ferris Buhler's Day Off too)

I just rented the new directors cut of Bladerunner... don't waste your
money. It's not worth the extra time, and it's a bad copy. The picture is
great, but 30 minuets into the movie the audio track looses alignment with
the video and it looks like a Jackie Chan movie... I was highly
disappointed. Now I'm hoping the version on PPV (Still in letterbox) is a
good cut, but we'll just have to wait and see.

--
Hugz,
jeran & Mrowser

Remove NOSPAM from my address to reply to me

My carma just ran over your dogma
Be well, be safe, and believe...
---<--@
High Priestess to the Comfort God

Disciple to the God of Flirtation

Altar Squirrel of Grilled SPAM
Mad Quester of Sierra
Prime Potentate of the church of Nonethinkeus
Honorary kitsune of the 6th level, Daughter of the house of Li
Dulcimer destroyer emeritus
Keeper of Useless Knowledge
Co-Founder of the ABML Innocent Club
ICQ# 671877

Smrgol };>~

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
Yeah, it IS Robin & Kestrel. Posted when tired, will getcha every time.

Sorry *YAWN*

Tristaan

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
Captain Wolf stomped through my brain with:

>57? Is that ALL?
>
><sad sigh>Between COMPUTER books, adult SF&F, historical (and sometimes
>histerical) MYSTERIES, and MUSIC books not to mention the juveniles(sp), I
>would have to estimate at least twice that many (if I had the money).
><sigh>
>
>Books, BOoks, BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MUST HAVE MORE BOOKS!!!!!!!!
>
><cough><cough>Sorry about that. I'm better now.

Quite all right, believe me, I understand completely. Amethyst can
take me to Borders, leave me there for about 6 hours, come back, and I
would still be making my list of desired texts...

Rhino7

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
>On Fri, 22 Oct 1999 10:21:32 -0700, William George Ferguson
><ferg...@maricopa.edu> wrote:
>
>>For a variety of reasons, I never read the Mision: Earth/Battleground:
>>Earth/whatever books. The main reason, they just didn't appeal to me
>>(and I'm a sucker for good space opera).

> I've read his early stuff. It didn't age well. Unlike Asimov or
>any of the others. A lot of the early SF is ludicrous now, but still
>quite readable, Jirel of Joiry for instance, early Heinlein, Doc Smith
>and so forth.

> \\\\\|///// copper_...@yahoo.com

I was pleased when Sci Fi Book Club re-released the entire Lens
series. It hadn't been in print for <mumble mumble> years, and my
single paperback of Children of the Lens is so old (how old is it?)
that the price at the top is 90 cents.

The Bookwurm
--
Goddess of Libraries ™, Avatar of Gyre Hart,
Ex-Heretic Priestess of Coffee & Cheesecake
High Priestess to the Goddess of Babble
Stuffed Animal Fairy, Keeper of the BotRoM
<spam trapped - remove the fish from address>

Rhino7

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
>I think the earlier horror writers (Poe, Lovecraft, Shelly) had a
>better grasp on what was really horrific to people. They had a handle
>on the human psyche and knew how to twist for the most effect. They
>also could do it without tossing blood and gore around.

Well - not entirely. Ever read the end of The Case of M. Valdemar?
(Hmmmmmm .... I wonder.....) The description of the subject at the
end of that one always grossed me out.

>Earlier horror films also were better in certain respects. Have you
>ever seen The Mummy with Boris Karloff? There was never any blood
>shown in the movie, and the scene where the mummy is first brought to
>life as the archeologist reads the papyrus scroll is really unnerving.

Classy, weren't they? But then so were the rest of the films of that
era. And romance was romantic as well.

>No music, no sound effects, just the sound of this man quietly reading
>this scroll while the mummy slowly starts to move behind him. Creepy!

>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>
>Elgion
>ICQ #19202217
>Rogue #396
>...and we were wondrous merry!
>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>

And monsters were, at least in part, sympathetic. You felt sorry for
them when they had to be destroyed. At least I did.

The Bookwurm (who just got a DVD and is thinking about that new
Indiana Jones set ...)

Rhino7

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
>Smrgol };>~ <Smr...@worldnet.att.netxyzzy> wrote in message
>
>> I have just picked up the DVD of Blair Witch Project, missed it in the
>> theater. (And Ferris Buhler's Day Off too)

I'm planning on renting that some time soon. Amazing number of
husband's students initially thought it was real. <g>

>I just rented the new directors cut of Bladerunner... don't waste your
>money. It's not worth the extra time, and it's a bad copy. The picture is
>great, but 30 minuets into the movie the audio track looses alignment with
>the video and it looks like a Jackie Chan movie... I was highly
>disappointed. Now I'm hoping the version on PPV (Still in letterbox) is a
>good cut, but we'll just have to wait and see.
>
>--
>Hugz,
>jeran & Mrowser

Saw a commercial last night for a boxed set of Indiana Jones movies
and Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. Gonna check to see if it's
available in DVD - then start on list for Santa.

The Bookwurm (amazing amount of X-mass stuff in stores, in catalogs
and on TV lately!)

William George Ferguson

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99

Copper Squirrel wrote:
>> I've read his early stuff. It didn't age well. Unlike Asimov or
>>any of the others. A lot of the early SF is ludicrous now, but still
>>quite readable, Jirel of Joiry for instance, early Heinlein, Doc Smith
>>and so forth.
>
>> \\\\\|///// copper_...@yahoo.com

Quick logging note. Topping a tree is illegal in Arizona (this is
mainly aimed at the 'christmas tree' trade, I don't know how it
applies to virtual cornnut trees)

patl...@silverfishlink.net (Rhino7) wrote:
>I was pleased when Sci Fi Book Club re-released the entire Lens
>series. It hadn't been in print for <mumble mumble> years, and my
>single paperback of Children of the Lens is so old (how old is it?)
>that the price at the top is 90 cents.
>
>The Bookwurm

90 cents equals early to mid 70s. By late 70s, pbs had broken the
dollar barrier pretty much universally. (George, who learned to read
sf from 35 cent Ace Doubles)

My memory on pb pricing (any other old whippersnappers feel free to
correct)

Mid to Late 50s 0.35-0.45
Early 60s 0.50-0.60
Mid to late 60s 0.65-0.75
Early 70s 0.85-0.95
Mid to late 70s 0.95-1.25
Early 80s 1.35-1.95
Mid to late 80s 2.50-3.99
90s 4.99-7.99

C M

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
On Mon, 25 Oct 1999 15:11:06 GMT, patl...@silverfishlink.net (Rhino7)
wrote:

>>On Fri, 22 Oct 1999 10:21:32 -0700, William George Ferguson

>><ferg...@maricopa.edu> wrote:
>>
>>>For a variety of reasons, I never read the Mision: Earth/Battleground:
>>>Earth/whatever books. The main reason, they just didn't appeal to me
>>>(and I'm a sucker for good space opera).
>

>> I've read his early stuff. It didn't age well. Unlike Asimov or
>>any of the others. A lot of the early SF is ludicrous now, but still
>>quite readable, Jirel of Joiry for instance, early Heinlein, Doc Smith
>>and so forth.
>
>> \\\\\|///// copper_...@yahoo.com
>

>I was pleased when Sci Fi Book Club re-released the entire Lens
>series. It hadn't been in print for <mumble mumble> years, and my
>single paperback of Children of the Lens is so old (how old is it?)
>that the price at the top is 90 cents.

That would put it in the early-mid 70's. Which is the last time
anyone published the books. I prefer the Skylark series to the
Lensmen myself.

C M

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
On Mon, 25 Oct 1999 09:47:01 -0700, William George Ferguson
<ferg...@maricopa.edu> wrote:

>Copper Squirrel wrote:
>>> I've read his early stuff. It didn't age well. Unlike Asimov or
>>>any of the others. A lot of the early SF is ludicrous now, but still
>>>quite readable, Jirel of Joiry for instance, early Heinlein, Doc Smith
>>>and so forth.
>>
>>> \\\\\|///// copper_...@yahoo.com
>

>Quick logging note. Topping a tree is illegal in Arizona (this is
>mainly aimed at the 'christmas tree' trade, I don't know how it
>applies to virtual cornnut trees)

Cornnut trees don't need topping. Too heavy to get more than five
feet off the ground.

>>I was pleased when Sci Fi Book Club re-released the entire Lens
>>series. It hadn't been in print for <mumble mumble> years, and my
>>single paperback of Children of the Lens is so old (how old is it?)
>>that the price at the top is 90 cents.
>>

>>The Bookwurm
>
>90 cents equals early to mid 70s. By late 70s, pbs had broken the
>dollar barrier pretty much universally. (George, who learned to read
>sf from 35 cent Ace Doubles)
>
>My memory on pb pricing (any other old whippersnappers feel free to
>correct)
>
>Mid to Late 50s 0.35-0.45
>Early 60s 0.50-0.60
>Mid to late 60s 0.65-0.75
>Early 70s 0.85-0.95
>Mid to late 70s 0.95-1.25
>Early 80s 1.35-1.95
>Mid to late 80s 2.50-3.99
>90s 4.99-7.99

Looks right to me. Can you remember when comics were a dime?

Mary Creasey

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99

> On Mon, 25 Oct 1999 15:11:06 GMT, patl...@silverfishlink.net (Rhino7)
> wrote:

[snip re LRH]

> >> I've read his early stuff. It didn't age well. Unlike Asimov or
> >>any of the others. A lot of the early SF is ludicrous now, but still
> >>quite readable, Jirel of Joiry for instance, early Heinlein, Doc Smith
> >>and so forth.
> >
> >> \\\\\|///// copper_...@yahoo.com
> >
> >I was pleased when Sci Fi Book Club re-released the entire Lens
> >series. It hadn't been in print for <mumble mumble> years, and my
> >single paperback of Children of the Lens is so old (how old is it?)
> >that the price at the top is 90 cents.
> >
> That would put it in the early-mid 70's. Which is the last time
> anyone published the books. I prefer the Skylark series to the
> Lensmen myself.

Me, it's the other way: I enjoy the Lensmen but find the Skylark
series horribly dated, IMHO. But...YMMV, as always.
The Doc Smith stuff is one of the many authors/titles that my
husband introduced me to (on our first date, I borrowed all the
Burroughs Mars series).

--
Mary the Filker
Precentrix of the

William George Ferguson

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
C M <copper_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
best I can remember them]

> Looks right to me. Can you remember when comics were a dime?

Well, yes, keeping in mind that I read "Flash Of Two Worlds" at the
newstand. I can even remember Stan Lee including an editorial note on
the Bullpen page, apologizing for having to raise the price from 10
cents to 12 cents.

> ~~~~~ "I found out why my car was humming.
> \\|||||// It had forgotten the words."
> \\\\\|/////
> \\\\\|///// copper_...@yahoo.com
> \\\\|////
> \\|//
> #
> #
> #
> # The Copper Squirrel is not in his tree. He's gathering
> # nuts for winter. So far he's gotten Ross Perot, Patrick
> # Buchanon and and a fox that keeps saying he's with the
> # FBI and wants to know about the Squirrels In Black...

There Is No Squirrel Conspiracy (tm)

William George Ferguson

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99

"Mary Creasey" <cre...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>Me, it's the other way: I enjoy the Lensmen but find the Skylark
>series horribly dated, IMHO. But...YMMV, as always.
>The Doc Smith stuff is one of the many authors/titles that my
>husband introduced me to (on our first date, I borrowed all the
>Burroughs Mars series).

I have a tendency to try to understand things by quantifying them, it
stands me in good stead since a large part of my job is converting
data into useful information in the form of reports. I always loved,
ans still love, both the Skylark and Lensman books, but I did get
permanently thrown out of the Skylark books at one point when I idly
did a calculation on 'a steady acceleration of one gravity'. Ignoring
relativistic affects, if you maintain a steady one gravity
acceleration away from the Earth, it would take you just over 357 days
to reach the speed of light, at which point you'd be out in the Oort
cloud outside the orbit of Pluto. At any acceleration the human body
could stand for a protracted period, it would take several years to
reach Proxima Centauri (our closest neighbor) much less the Green
System which is supposed to in toward the center of the Galaxy. And
that's ignoring relativity, and not requiring a terminal velocity less
than 1C.

That said, on the plus side, the Skylark books have the no question
about it, hands down, best villain in all of science fiction. My
favorite part of the series are the chapters in Skylark Three that
follow Blackie and Baby Doll.

C M

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
On Mon, 25 Oct 1999 21:44:43 -0700, William George Ferguson
<fr...@primenet.com> wrote:

>C M <copper_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>best I can remember them]
>
>> Looks right to me. Can you remember when comics were a dime?
>
>Well, yes, keeping in mind that I read "Flash Of Two Worlds" at the
>newstand. I can even remember Stan Lee including an editorial note on
>the Bullpen page, apologizing for having to raise the price from 10
>cents to 12 cents.

Oh yeah. Back when Marvel had the best comics around...I believe
it was 1968 when they went to 15 cents, then 20 and 25 in the early
70s and a buck by the end of the 70s. Now it can range from $2 -$8
for a comic(Yeesh!)

>> # The Copper Squirrel is not in his tree. He's gathering
>> # nuts for winter. So far he's gotten Ross Perot, Patrick
>> # Buchanon and and a fox that keeps saying he's with the
>> # FBI and wants to know about the Squirrels In Black...
>
>There Is No Squirrel Conspiracy (tm)

Very good. You may have a cookie...

It is loading more messages.