Mercedes book - Stoned Souls...?

Apr 12, 2009, 5:27:40 PM4/12/09
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about a book that Mercedes Lackey
was writing called "Stoned Souls"?
I heard it was mostly finished about 6 - 8 years ago, and then they decided
re-write it and it was due out maybe in 2006-2007. I haven't heard anything
about it for ages... I was going to re-read that series, and wanted to wait
until that book came out...
Does anyone know anything about when it might be printed?
Thanks!

Megan

Apr 12, 2009, 10:13:37 PM4/12/09

I've got it marked as 'not marked for production' in the
FAQ. I don't remember, now, where I found that information.
But the book seems to suffer from
forever-in-production-itis. Always planned, never at a high
enough priority to get written.

I imagine it will get written when books in her other series
stop selling well, which I'm hoping doesn't happen. Might
be a good idea to just start that re-read you've planned. :>

--
Megan
Journeyperson Dancing Barbarian

Apr 26, 2009, 12:19:26 PM4/26/09
I also suspected that problem with forever-in-production-itis... But I
thought I might as well ask if anyone had any newer information... (Who
knows? Maybe Mercedes Lackey is reading this newsgroup and it might start
her thinking about it again???)
I've waited a couple of years, I'll wait a couple more.... :)
(I've got lots to read in the meantime.)
Hopefully it will get published sometime, and not scrapped all together.

"Megan" <"megant[numbksinArrows]"@att.net> wrote in message

Megan

Apr 26, 2009, 11:13:35 PM4/26/09
q wrote:
> I also suspected that problem with forever-in-production-itis... But I
> thought I might as well ask if anyone had any newer information... (Who
> knows? Maybe Mercedes Lackey is reading this newsgroup and it might start
> her thinking about it again???)

We have no reason to believe she reads ABML. (And, truly,
I'd rather have her researching background for her next novel.)

> I've waited a couple of years, I'll wait a couple more.... :)
> (I've got lots to read in the meantime.)
> Hopefully it will get published sometime, and not scrapped all together.

As long as you're not bored. :>

But I suspect the race is now on -- will 'Stoned Souls' make
it out of production-itis before ML retires? Or not?
Interested souls want to know...

Aphrael

Apr 27, 2009, 5:58:20 AM4/27/09
Megan wrote:
> q wrote:
>> I also suspected that problem with forever-in-production-itis... But I
>> thought I might as well ask if anyone had any newer information...
>> (Who knows? Maybe Mercedes Lackey is reading this newsgroup and it
>> might start her thinking about it again???)
>
> We have no reason to believe she reads ABML. (And, truly, I'd rather
> have her researching background for her next novel.)

Well, Pratchett does read "his" newsgroup while doing a fairly good job
of writing and researching... ;-)

>> I've waited a couple of years, I'll wait a couple more.... :)
>> (I've got lots to read in the meantime.)
>> Hopefully it will get published sometime, and not scrapped all together.
>
> As long as you're not bored. :>
>
> But I suspect the race is now on -- will 'Stoned Souls' make it out of
> production-itis before ML retires? Or not? Interested souls want to
> know...

Let's think about it like that: it could probably be the last completed
book, either just before or after (by someone around her) passing
away... so the longer we have to wait, the more books by her we may
get... no?

Aphrael, who managed to read two books last week, miraculously...

--
http://www.loutan.net/carnets/
http://www.loutan.net/blog/

Kat Hein

Apr 27, 2009, 1:01:14 PM4/27/09
Megan wrote:
> q wrote:
>> I also suspected that problem with forever-in-production-itis... But I
>> thought I might as well ask if anyone had any newer information...
>> (Who knows? Maybe Mercedes Lackey is reading this newsgroup and it
>> might start her thinking about it again???)
>
> We have no reason to believe she reads ABML. (And, truly, I'd rather
> have her researching background for her next novel.)

From all signs, no, she doesn't read the newsgroup. Not because she's
too busy researching, but from my observations from the short times she
contributed to her Luna and Baen boards, because her works are her
babies, and she appears to take even implied criticism about them about
as well as I would, if I were a writer. LOL With some people, I think it
benefits both the fans and the author if the author just stays away. :D
(or musician, since I heard a famous one say once that the fans deserve
a place to complain, but she didn't want to read it!)

Kat

John Oliver

Apr 27, 2009, 3:02:02 PM4/27/09

>Kat

I have been told that their are legal problems with fan groups. If
someone suggests a plot item and it later shows up in a book, the
author can be sued for plagiarism.

I don't know if that is true.
--
John Oliver
jdol...@westnet.com.au

Kat Hein

Apr 27, 2009, 4:58:14 PM4/27/09

They get around that with the Eula that says everything you post belongs
to them.

Kat

Purrt

Apr 27, 2009, 5:49:16 PM4/27/09
John Oliver wrote:
> I have been told that their are legal problems with fan groups.
> If
> someone suggests a plot item and it later shows up in a book,
> the
> author can be sued for plagiarism.
>
> I don't know if that is true.

No just for plagiarism but it could cause the author to dump a
story completely. It happened to J. Micheal Straczynski, who
created Babylon 5. A fan posted a story idea that happened to be
exactly what he was writing for an episode of the series. Joe
ended up having to re-write the entire episode to avoid any
possible legal problems.

That's why he only hangs out on the moderated newsgroup now.
Story ideas are forbidden there.

--
Purrt the ghatta
Smitten Kitten

Megan

Apr 27, 2009, 7:21:25 PM4/27/09
Aphrael wrote:
> Megan wrote:
>> q wrote:
<snip - 'stoned souls', ML>

>>> I've waited a couple of years, I'll wait a couple more.... :)
>>> (I've got lots to read in the meantime.)
>>> Hopefully it will get published sometime, and not scrapped all together.
>>
>> As long as you're not bored. :>
>>
>> But I suspect the race is now on -- will 'Stoned Souls' make it out of
>> production-itis before ML retires? Or not? Interested souls want to
>> know...
>
> Let's think about it like that: it could probably be the last completed
> book, either just before or after (by someone around her) passing
> away... so the longer we have to wait, the more books by her we may
> get... no?

Boy, if that's the way the book gets written, I hope the day
is a looooooong way off.

But I'm sure there is some unfinished novel even further
down the "to write" list than 'Stoned Souls'. Uh.
Somewhere. Fourth book in the Diana Tregarde series, maybe
-- she did leave the villianess of 'Jinx High' still
not-completely-defeated.

> Aphrael, who managed to read two books last week, miraculously...

Yay, you! Good baby, leaving mommy time/energy to read. :>

Tal Greywolf

May 1, 2009, 5:00:59 PM5/1/09
Purrt wrote:
> John Oliver wrote:
>> I have been told that their are legal problems with fan groups.
>> If
>> someone suggests a plot item and it later shows up in a book,
>> the
>> author can be sued for plagiarism.
>>
>> I don't know if that is true.
>
> No just for plagiarism but it could cause the author to dump a
> story completely. It happened to J. Micheal Straczynski, who
> created Babylon 5. A fan posted a story idea that happened to be
> exactly what he was writing for an episode of the series. Joe
> ended up having to re-write the entire episode to avoid any
> possible legal problems.
>
> That's why he only hangs out on the moderated newsgroup now.
> Story ideas are forbidden there.

[Sound of creaking of a door, followed by a small cloud of dust from the
hinges]

*Tal, why bother making an entrance, they know who you are.*
"Geoff, there are new folks here too."
*So? They've been warned...*

Ok, folks, I'm going to have to poke my head up on this one. Partially
because I >HAVE< actual experience in this situation...

Many, many moons ago, on a place formerly called GEnie, there was an
area known as "Modems of the Queen", an area where Misty's fans (and
Misty herself) used to congregate. Now, there was a fan area where you
could write stories, but... before you could post there you had to sign
an agreement that laid down the law. You couldn't use her characters
(save for Myste the Chronicler) but other than that, you could have fun.
There was some other stuff about any ideas that you came up with could
be used by Misty and that you basically signed over rights, etc, etc,
etc...

Now yours truly had already known and talked with Misty prior to his
appearance on GEnie, so when I arrived there I already knew the rules of
the highway there. *chuckle* This was when the novel "By The Sword"
and "Winds of Fate" made its appearance in print. And by then, I had
already posted a cobbled together and completely made up timeline from
the beginning of "Oathbound" to the end of "Arrow's Fall". And I posted
it on GEnie.

So you can imagine my surprise when I get my copy of "Winds of Fate" and
find that the dates I came up with (purely out of thin air) were the
dates on the timeline. And yes, Misty did state that she did use the
timeline that I came up with, since "it made sense."

Later on, I discovered that those weren't the only things that Misty
"borrowed" from me... as you probably well know. *Gryn*

[Story mode off]

Seriously, the issue of story ideas today is a touchy one. Anyone who
recalls the incident involving a fan-written story and Marion Zimmer
Bradley will know what I mean, and why it has led to the situations that
are so common today. I could mention an idea to Misty or any other
author friend and care less if they use it or not, but there are lots of
other folks who look at the possible dollar signs and will claim
"THIEF!" at the drop of a hat. There are some who'll let you do it
(Eric Flint even posts the fanfic in his "Grantville Gazette" and PAYS
for publication) but it's the exception, not the rule.

Oh, for the old days back in the 70's when you could write Star Trek
fanfic or Doctor Who fanfic and not have anyone worrying about rights
and copyright... because no one cared all that much. It's only when it
became big money that the rights issue reared in a most ugly fashion.

-Tal "Elder Spokesperson" Greywolf
*Elder is right... and I'd say more like spokesthing*

Robotech_Master

May 5, 2009, 12:04:30 PM5/5/09
On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 19:13:37 -0700, Megan
<"megant[numbksinArrows]"@att.net> wrote:

> I've got it marked as 'not marked for production' in the FAQ. I
> don't remember, now, where I found that information. But the book
> seems to suffer from forever-in-production-itis. Always planned,
> never at a high enough priority to get written.

I don't think it's a matter of priority. There are some books that
just take on a "bad karma load". For instance, for Sharon Lee and
Steve Miller, _Web of the Trident_ is one of those--the book gets
associated with so many bad things, both related and not, that
happened in the life of the author during the time it was being worked
on that it becomes a reminder of those bad times and the author gets
an aversion to trying to pick it up again.

I've gotten the sense that this book is, for Misty, one of those books
that has been cursed with bad karma (perhaps because of the hassle
involved with it going through so many rewrites). And Misty's moved
on to a new setting and another publisher since then, and she doesn't
seem to revisit old settings a whole lot. I would be hesitant to hold
my breath on seeing this book any time soon.

--
Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm

Robotech_Master

May 5, 2009, 12:07:53 PM5/5/09
On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 20:13:35 -0700, Megan
<"megant[numbksinArrows]"@att.net> wrote:

> We have no reason to believe she reads ABML. (And, truly,
> I'd rather have her researching background for her next novel.)

She doesn't. I have mentioned it to her, and she said she just didn't
have the time to devote to another community. She doesn't have
anything against it, just that she's a very busy lady and has to
prioritize her time.

Robotech_Master

May 5, 2009, 12:11:04 PM5/5/09
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 05:02:02 +1000, John Oliver
<jdol...@westnet.com.au> wrote:

> I have been told that their are legal problems with fan groups. If
> someone suggests a plot item and it later shows up in a book, the
> author can be sued for plagiarism.

> I don't know if that is true.

It's true(ish). And since Misty is the literary heir to Marion Zimmer
Bradley, to whom the original incident that touched this concern off
happened, she's more acquainted with it than most.

She talks about it (and the City of Heroes fanfic she herself writes)
in this thread on Making Light:

http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/007464.html

Richard Riley

Oct 12, 2022, 12:28:02 PM10/12/22
Misty just addressed this on Quora!
https://qr.ae/pvSP9n

"Unforunately Josepha refused to actually collaborate on this book, went ahead and wrote the whole thing on her own, turned it in to me, and it was utterly unacceptable. There were gigantic plot holes, things she just ignored (like the existance of cell phones in a high school) because they weren’t convenient for her “plot” and things that were so wrong they created singularities—like having a basement in a high school in Florida. It wasn’t just me. I ran the manuscript past a bunch of the Barflies at Baen’s Bar and the universal reaction was “this is worse than the worst fanfiction I have ever seen.”

Eric Flint and I were going to do something with it, things got so tangled up with his death that now I am afraid the project is in limbo. My agent is trying to untangle the situation."

Megan

Oct 12, 2022, 2:05:51 PM10/12/22
Thank you for the update!

I don't think I'll add it to the F.A.Q. book list until ML's agent
actually succeeds at untangling the situation. My experience says it
is much easier for a situation to get tangled than it is to reverse
the mess creation.

(Glad ML wasn't willing to let plots get too silly. Teenagers without
cell phones? In this century? Not blooming likely!)

--
Megan
Journeyperson Dancing Barbarian
Keeper o' the FAQ: http://www.cs.csustan.edu/~mthomas/abml/

Aaron D

Oct 12, 2022, 5:03:18 PM10/12/22
It is physics in action; it takes energy to untangle things (think of
the junk drawer full of random power cords, or Christmas lights)
therefore entropy causes things to get tangled.

> (Glad ML wasn't willing to let plots get too silly.  Teenagers without
> cell phones?  In this century?  Not blooming likely!)

--
I'm glad my Mom named me Aaron,
That's what everybody calls me.

Hemidemisemideity of Anonymous Eponymity
Patron Saint of Hair Color Changing
Currently: Light golden blonde.
Holder of a provisional pedant licens/ce
(limited to the area of physical sciens/ce)
Member of ABMLNCSC - Base singer, very base
"Mommy, make daddy stop singing".

I dye my hair so much my driver's license
has a color wheel. Nancy Mura

Megan

Oct 23, 2022, 6:34:28 PM10/23/22
One would not think that entropy or thermodynamics would apply to
legal disputes -- or committee work -- but it does seem to.

*My* Xmas light strings are, of course, always maintained in a
meticulously untangled condition.

Mostly.