ABML FAQ, Part 2: The Author (long, no change)

Megan

Apr 6, 2011, 11:35:22 PM4/6/11

alt.books.m-lackey FAQ, Part 2

This is part 2 of the Mercedes Lackey FAQ, covering topics specific to
Mercedes Lackey. Part 1 covers topics specific to alt.books.m-lackey,
including the Acceptable Use Policy, most particularly with regard to
SPAM, trolls and cross-posting. Both are posted monthly to
alt.books.m-lackey.

Contents of Part 2:

1. Order To Read?
2. What Has She Written?
3. What novels will she publish soon?
4. How Can I Reach Her Or Other Fans?
5. She's Got Songs, Are They Recorded?
6. Does She Really Believe This?
7. Why No MU*s Or FanFic?
8. No More Di! But Why???
9. What happened to the original Queen's Own?
10. Birthday
11. Why no Cons?
12. Anything Else?

1. In what order do I read her books?

Most people suggest reading the books chronologically, except for the
Velgarth novels, which are suggested to be read in published order.
The FAQ book list has them in chronological order by series, which
just happens to be the published order for all except the Velgarth
and the Diana Tregarde novels.

2. What Has She Written?

Note that many of her novels, particularly the Velgarth novels,
were co-authored with her husband, Larry Dixon, who also drew the
interior art for much of her Velgarth work. The books so
co-authored are marked with LD.

I have attempted to include the original and earliest
publishing dates.

The Velgarth novels--publishing order:

Heralds of Valdemar
Arrows of the Queen - 1987
Arrow's Flight - 1987
Arrow's Fall - 1988
Vows & Honor
Oathbound - 1988
Oathbreakers - 1989
Oathblood - 1998
The Last Herald Mage
Magic's Pawn - 1989
Magic's Promise - 1990
Magic's Price - 1990
By the Sword - 1992
The Mage Winds
Winds of Fate - Oct 1991
Winds of Change - 1992
Winds of Fury - 1993
The Mage Storms
Storm Warning - 1994
Storm Rising - 1995
Storm Breaking - 1996
The Mage Wars
The Black Gryphon (LD) - 1994
The White Gryphon (LD) - 1995
The Silver Gryphon (LD) - 1996
Note: Mage Storms and Mage Wars were written and published
simultaneously.
The Owl Books
Owlflight (LD) - 1997
Owlsight (LD) - 1998
Owlknight (LD) - Oct 1999
Brightly Burning - May 2000
Take a Thief - Oct 2001
The Valdemar Companion (with other authors) - Dec 2001
Exile's Honor - Oct 2002
Exile's Valor - Nov 2003
Foundation: Book One of the Collegium Chronicles - Oct 2008
Intrigues: Book Two of the Collegium Chronicles - Oct 2010

The Tregarde novels--publishing order:
Burning Water - 1989
Children of the Night - 1990
Jinx High - 1991
(See Trio of Sorcery, below)

The Tregarde novels--chronological order:
Children of the Night
Burning Water
Jinx High

The Bardic Voices novels--publishing order:
Bardic Voices: The Lark and the Wren - 1992
The Robin and the Kestrel - 1993
A Cast of Corbies (with Josepha Sherman) - 1994
The Eagle and the Nightingale - 1995
Four & Twenty Blackbirds - Dec 1997

The Free Bards - 3-in-1 of The Lark and the Wren and
The Robin and the Kestrel and
The Eagle and the Nightingale - 1997

The Bard novels--publishing order:
Knight of Ghost and Shadows (with Ellen Guon) - 1990
Summoned To Tourney (with Ellen Guon) - 1992
Beyond World's End (with Rosemary Edghill) - Jan 2001
Spirits White as Lightning (with R. Edghill) - Nov 2001
Mad Maudlin (with R. Edghill) - Aug 2003
Music to my Sorrow (with R. Edghill) - Dec 2005

Bedlam Boyz - by Ellen Guon alone (1993), prequel to both of above

Bedlam's Bard - 2-in-1 of Knight of Ghost and Shadows
and Summoned To Tourney - 1998

The Elvenbane novels--publishing order:
Elvenbane (with Andre Norton) - 1991
Elvenblood (with Andre Norton) - 1995
Elvenborn (with A. Norton) - August 2002

The Serrated Edge novels--publishing order:
Born to Run - 1992 (LD)
Wheels of Fire - 1992 (with Mark Shepherd)
When the Bough Breaks - 1993 (with Holly Lisle)
Chrome Circle - 1994 (LD)

This Scepter'd Isle - Jan 2004 (with Roberta Gellis)
Ill Met By Moonlight - March 2005 (with Roberta Gellis)
By Slanderous Tongues - Jan 2007 (with Roberta Gellis)
And Less Than Kind - April 2008 (with R. Gellis)

The Chrome Borne - 2-in-1 of Born to Run and Chrome Circle - 1999
The Otherworld - 2-in-1 of Wheels of Fire and When the Bough Breaks
- Feb 2000

Elvendude - 1994 (by Mark Shepherd alone)
Spiritride - 1997 (by Mark Shepherd alone)
Lazerwarz - 1999 (by Mark Shepherd alone)

The Bard's Tale novels--publishing order:
Castle of Deception (with Josepha Sherman) - 1992
Fortress of Frost and Fire (with Ru Emerson) - 1993
Prison of Souls (with Mark Shepherd) - 1993

The Chaos Gate - 1994 (by Josepha Sherman alone)

The Obsidian Trilogy
The Outstretched Shadow (with James Mallory) - Nov 2003
To Light a Candle (with James Mallory) - Oct 2004
When Darkness Falls (with James Mallory) - July 2006

Enduring Flame
The Phoenix Unchained (with James Mallory) - Oct 2007
The Phoenix Endangered (with James Mallory) - Sept 2008
The Phoenix Transformed (with James Mallory) - Sept 2009

The Heirs of Alexandria
The Shadow of the Lion (with Eric Flint and Dave Freer)
- Feb 2002
A Mankind Witch (Dave Freer alone)
This Rough Magic (with Eric Flint and Dave Freer)
- Dec 2003
Much Fall of Blood (with Dave Freer) - May 2010

Dragons of Alta
Joust - March 2003
Alta - March 2004
Sanctuary - May 2005
Aerie - Oct 2006

The Elemental Masters
The Serpent's Shadow - March 2001
The Gates of Sleep - April 2002
Phoenyx and Ashes - Oct 2004
Wizard of London - Sept 2005
Reserved for the Cat - Oct 2007

Five Hundred Kingdoms
The Fairy Godmother - Dec 2003
One Good Knight - Feb 2006
Fortune's Fool - Feb 2007
The Snow Queen - May 2008
The Sleeping Beauty - July 2010

Shadow Grail
Legacies (with R. Edghill) - July 2010

Other books, not part of any series - publishing order:
(read them in any order you like)
Sacred Ground - 1994
The Fire Rose - 1995
Firebird - Dec 1996
Fiddler Fair (short story collection) - 1998
Werehunter (short story collection) - May 1999
The Black Swan - 1999
The River's Gift - 1999
Charmed Destinies (with C. Asaro and Rachel Lee) - Nov 2003
The Dragon Quintet (with T. Lee, M. Swanwick, E. Moon, O. Card) - Aug 2006
Gwenhwyfar, the White Spirit - Oct 2009
Trio of Sorcery - Nov 2010 (Tregarde, Talldeer, other novella)

Other books, co-authored - publishing order:
Reap the Whirlwind (with C.J. Cherryh, 3rd in a series) - 1989
-also included in The Sword of Knowledge, March 1995
Wing Commander (with Ellen Guon) - 1992
The Ship Who Searched (with Anne McCaffrey) - 1992
If I Pay Thee Not In Gold (with Piers Anthony) - 1993
Rediscovery (with Marion Zimmer Bradley) - 1994
Tiger Burning Bright (with M.Z. Bradley and Andre Norton)
- 1995
Wizard of Karres (with Freer & Flint) - Aug 2004
- sequel to Schmitz's "The Witches of Karres"
Winter Moon (three stories, ML authored one) - Nov 2005
Harvest Moon (three stories, ML authored one, M. Sagar and C. Haley
others) - Oct 2010

Brain Ships - Nov 2003
re-issue of "The Ship Who Searched" (with Anne McCaffrey) and
"Partnership" (McCaffrey and M. Ball)

Short story collections, M. Lackey editor - publishing order:
Lammas Night (edited with Josepha Sherman) - Feb 1996
Sword of Ice (Velgarth stories) - Jan 1997
Flights of Fantasy (edited with M Greenberg) - Dec 1999
Sun in Glory (Velgarth stories) - Dec 2003
Bedlam's Edge (Bard/SERRAted Edge stories,
edited with Rosemary Edghill) - Aug 2005
Crossroads and Other Tales of Valdemar (Velgarth stories) - Dec 2005
Moving Targets and Other Stories of Valdemar - Dec 2008
Changing the World and Other Tales of Valdemar - Dec 2009
Finding the Way and other Tales of Valdemar - Dec 2010

Essay collection, M. Lackey editor:
Mapping the World of Harry Potter - Jan 2006

Not books, but also MLackey stories, the 'Secret
World Chronicles', produced as podcasts.
Available here: http://www.secretworldchronicle.com/bookone.php

3. What novels will she publish soon?

More or Less Recent News on Upcoming Lackey Novels
and Works in Progress
Book Publication Date
(estimated)
-----
Invasion Mar 2011
-with Steve Libbey, Cody Martin and Dennis Lee
Beauty and the Werewolf June 2011
-Five Hundred Kingdoms
Unnatural Issue June 2011
-Elemental Masters series
Conspiracies July 2011
-with R. Edghill, Shadow Grail series
Great Doom's Shadow unknown
-with Eric Flint and Dave Freer
Dark Waters unknown
-with Eric Flint

Note: Most of this information has been mined from ML's
personal WWW site or Amazon.com. If what I wrote here
contradicts what Misty writes there, believe HER!

4. Can I reach Mercedes Lackey anywhere? How about other fans?

* Email--She has an address, but, as per her request, that
address will not be published on the Net. If you have it, please
don't post it. It's only polite.

* Postal--Send mail to her at any of the following addresses. Please
mark CLEARLY that it is for her C/O one of the addresses.

DAW Books
375 Hudson Street
New York, NY 10014

TOR Books
49 West 24 Street
New York, NY 10010

High Flight
P.O. Box 8309
Tulsa, OK 74101-8309

Firebird Music
P.O.Box 14785
Portland, OR 97214
http://firebirdarts.com/

Firebird has an 'Ask Misty' section of their WWW site,
where selected questions and M. Lackey's answers are posted
to their site. See http://firebirdarts.com/mlackey/1mlask.htm

She has requested that no fan stories be mailed to her, please.

Other fans can be reached via the following methods:

* Internet Services:*

alt.books.m-lackey--UseNet newsgroup

mercede...@herald.co.uk-- Listserv list
Subscribe by visiting:

Numerous mailing lists and the like abound on-line. For example,
http://www.egroups.com/group/mercedeslackey
http://www.egroups.com/group/Mistydiscussion
http://www.egroups.com/group/Lady_of_Heralds
And many others

World Wide Web Pages:

http://www.mercedeslackey.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mercedes-Lackey/71496424801 (official
Facebook page)
http://twitter.com/MercedesLackey (official Twitter)
http://firebirdarts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2205058863&ref=share (ML Fan Club
Facebook page)

* Postal Service:*

Queen's Own monthly e-newsletter--For information, send mail to:
Queen's Own
The Official Mercedes Lackey Fan Club
P.O. Box 749
Laguna Beach, CA 92652 USA
or consult http://www.dragonlordsnet.com/qo.htm

5. Does she have any of the music out so I can listen to it?

Yes. Firebird Arts and Music carries a full range of Mercedes Lackey
songs, Larry Dixon and Jody Lee artwork, and a whole lot of other
things. To get their most recent catalog, send mail to:

Firebird Music
P.O. Box 30268
Portland, OR 97294-3268

1-800-752-0494 (USA only)
(503) 255-5751 (Oregon and International)
(503) 255-5703 (FAX)

Email: fire...@firebirdarts.com
WWW: http://firebirdarts.com/

6. Does she really believe in all that stuff she writes about?

Maybe. She might be a member of an alternative religion; she
hasn't said for sure. However, she sums it up best in the
Author's Note at the back of Sacred Ground (1994 edition):

"I am not a guru, shaman, Grand High Pooh-Bah, Guardian, Mistress of
the Martian Arts, or any incarnation of the same. I have no lock on
Immortal Wisdom, and in my experience, anyone who claims to, has his
eye on your money (granted, I do too, but only insofar as entertaining
you enough to buy my next book). To confuse me with what I write is
as fallacious as confusing a truck driver with his Peterbilt."

7. Why won't she let us have a MUSH or write FanFic?

Russell Galen is Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon's agent. He has made
the following statements in a general post to alt.books.m-lackey,
dated in October 1994.

"Any use of works by Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon in fan fiction
or a role playing game is strictly prohibited. The reasons are as
follows:

A. It is copyright infringement. Any unauthorized use of intellectual
property, whether or not for profit, is copyright infringement.

B. The authors are against it. Knowing that strangers are making use
of one's world, one's characters, one's creations, is usually a very
unpleasant feeling, one of violation and intrusion.

C. There's been a great deal of discussion here as to whether a MUSH
or MUD would help or hurt the salability of commercial game rights.
The fact is, we don't know. It might have no effect, or a ruinous
effect. There is ample evidence for both from other media, and I don't
know the answer. Given that uncertainty, we have to err on the side
of caution and protection.

D. All of us on this side have discussed this and are resolved to
take no chances with these valuable copyrights, and will vigorously
pursue all legal means at our disposal. Also, any action we might
take would not be limited to individuals but to the universities
and other organizations that permit their equipment and lines to be
used for this illegal purpose.

E. Yes, we're greedy and narrow-minded in defense of our clients'
ability to make a living. This is Mercedes Lackey's job. Anything
that threatens her ability to make a living is no less an evil than
any other situation in which an innocent party is forced, by the
actions of strangers, to fight for her livelihood."

So, please, folks *Just Say No* to Lackey-MUDS. If you want to write
Fanfic, please send mail to the Queen's Own or HighFlight addresses
above, and request a release form. Don't go doing something that
you're going to wind up regretting, later.

8. No More Di! But Why???

(July 2010 update: Information below written in the 1990's. In
Oct 2010, "Trio of Sorcery" is expected, and will include a new
Tregarde story. **)

It has been decided by Mercedes Lackey and her publishers that
there will be no more books in the Diana Tregarde series. (Rumors
of a novel featuring a much younger Andre abound.) There
are two reasons why this is the case:

A. The series is slow selling. Plain and simply, it is not as
profitable for Mercedes Lackey and her publishers as her other
series. They have decided to concentrate on those other series.

B. A minority of readers seem to believe that these fantasy novels
are based on "real supernatural activities". These have conceived
some rather odd conspiracy theories as to why the series was
discontinued. Granted that most of these people are decent and
harmless people. Some of them, however, are dangerous individuals.

There are two letters from Misty on the Firebird web site that
discuss these people. The first is known as "The Last Straw",
it was written in January 1997 in response to her being stalked and
sent death threats and can be found at:

http://ftp.pwp.att.net/m/e/megant3/abml/laststraw.html

The second is called "The Camel's Back" and was posted to the
Firebird site on 22 November 1997, and is in response to the
security fiasco that surrounded her attendance at Dragon*Con97:

http://ftp.pwp.att.net/m/e/megant3/abml/camelsback.html

[Note: Both essays copied from the Firebird Arts WWW site to
this WWW site because the URLs pointing to them were
unstable. See the "Why no Cons?" section of this FAQ for
more recent information about Mercedes Lackey's opinions
regarding attending conventions.]

9. What happened to the original Queen's Own?

The original Queen's Own Newsletter folded in May 2000 due to lack
of funds. At that time, a new, on-line only, and free newsletter
started up to fill in the gap.

The Official Mercedes Lackey Fan Club is now located at:

http://www.dragonlordsnet.com/qo.htm

The address is:

Queen's Own
The Official Mercedes Lackey Fan Club
P.O. Box 749
Laguna Beach, CA 92652 USA

Memberships are free because the newsletter is only
available online.

10. Birthday

Misty was born on June 24.

11. Why no Cons?

Why won't Misty attend Cons? As explained by her to the Baen's
Bar chat group, (kindly posted to ABML by Claviux from the Crater
on August 30, 2001):

"I often get asked if---or when---I'm going to go to X, Y or
ZCon. After all, the stalkers are gone, so we should be
flinging ourselves back into the convention circuit, right?

Well, no.

The plain truth is, after being off the circuit, we don't
really want to go back to it.

We lose a lot of work-time going to cons. One day going, one
day returning, and the three days of the convention.

Conventions are enormously tiring, and the higher up on the
desired-GoH food-chain you are, the more exhausting they are.
Typically we end up getting only two or even one meal in a
day, because there just is no time to eat what with all the
panels, autograph sessions, and random encounters with fans.
It is exactly like being in a live play that goes on from the
moment we pass our hotel door in the morning until the time
we go back in late that night.

Travel is just as tiring. Planes these days are always crowded,
often late, connections generally a mad dash across a vast
expanse of terminal. And I don't do coach well anymore;
bad backs will do that to you.

Hotel rooms aren't home. They're small, cramped, often smell
of mildew or tobacco smoke ("quiet" or non-party floors are
usually the less-desirable smoking floors since there are
fewer of them). Even when they're on quiet floors, there are
people chatting in halls or playing the TV too loud or
otherwise enjoying themselves in the next room. Or there's a
crying baby. Or small children in the room above (or people
acting like small children). And when have you EVER attended
a con when the fire alarm didn't go off at least once during
the middle of the night?

And last---and one of the biggest factors---every convention
I attended I've gotten ConPlague. Every convention is
basically a mixing-pot for varietals of cold and flu viruses
that I haven't been exposed to. And I'm getting a lot less
exposure to viruses these days since I work at home, so my
own immunity is low. In fact, last year I spent a grand total of
four hours in the Baen suite and came down with the worst case
of ConPlague I've had in years---I literally passed out for
three days at poor Roberta Gellis's house.

I know that conventions are important to a lot of you, and you
have an enormous amount of fun at them. But they just aren't
fun for me anymore, and there are a lot of other things I can
do for fans that don't "cost" me in so much time, energy, and
general well-being.

Here I do have to mention the shining exception in the last
couple of years---the New Zealand Natcon last April in Auckland.

It was small, loads of fun, we weren't overworked, in fact we
had *so* much fun we would go back any time. No one had
ConPLague. They brought us in, treated us like gods (the kind
of gods you party with), let us run around the country for a
couple of weeks before and after the con, and just generally made
us so welcome that we came back rested and ready to rock rather
than exhausted. If Oz cons are anything like Kiwi cons, and
somebody thinks we're worth inviting, we'll be there with bells
on."

FAQ-Keeper's note: Misty has attended a few (very few!) Cons in
recent years.

12. Anything Else That You Can Think Of?

Let me know.