More Misty Music...

1 view

Don Bruder

Nov 9, 2005, 2:35:23 AM11/9/05

Went hunting for Threes Rev 1.1, and instead stumbled onto a couple
doses of "HUH?!?!?" involving "Windrider Unchained".

Now, I understand that this song is a snippet of the overall "Sun and
Shadow" tale - near as I can figure, it has to be somewhere "near the
end" - But it leaves me wondering... One of the passages in it -

Dancer in shadows, she weeps as she dances
dancing unmaking the shadow-born bands
Songsinger now through tears gives up hs power
sings back the magic to Windrider's hands

Hokay... Somebody set me straight.
I've always been under the impression that "Windrider" is the companion
- possibly (probably) the same one shown in illustrations of the arms of
Valdemar - Winged horse, broken chains, etc - with a couple of mentions
here and there in the various books that seem to confirm that. Although
I can't recall the exact wording right now, it seems to me that all
references to Windrider in the books are of the form "The Windrider",
which, combined with the image of the winged horse on the crest,
suggests that "The Windrider" is more a title than a person - sort of
like "The President", as opposed to "G.W. Bush".

Which would, of course, mean that Darshae is Valdemar's heir.

But wait a minute...

So why's he singing the magic back to *WINDRIDER'S* hands?!?!? Windrider
ain't GOT hands!

But then again, with the always ever-so-clear naming Misty uses, I guess
Darshae could easily be companion, and Windrider heir...

So, what say you? Who's "on top"? Is Windrider the two-legger, or is
Darshae?

The second "HUH?" moment was finding 6 different files on Limewire, all
of them claiming to be "Windrider Unchained" - Two claiming to be the
work of Mercedes Lackey, another claiming that it's Leslie Fish, another
credited to Heather Alexander, one *NAMED* to indicate it's Misty, but
with the ID3 tag inside it declaring it to be the work of Leslie Fish,
and yet another, this one claiming to be Misty and Heather together.

They all sound like the same person doing the singing, so obviously,
SOMEBODY is smokin' crack! Anybody got the proper skinny on this? Who's
doing the singing? It's quite obviously a Misty tune, but I can't decide
if it's her doing the singing. I've gotta admit that I've never
*KNOWINGLY* - as in "This is Mercedes Lackey doing a little number she
calls..." - heard her sing, so I likely wouldn't recognize her voice if
she was standing in front of me belting out The Michigan Rag :) )

--
Don Bruder - dak...@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,
ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info

Kat Hein

Nov 9, 2005, 5:39:31 AM11/9/05
Don Bruder wrote:
> Went hunting for Threes Rev 1.1, and instead stumbled onto a couple
> doses of "HUH?!?!?" involving "Windrider Unchained".
>
> Now, I understand that this song is a snippet of the overall "Sun and
> Shadow" tale - near as I can figure, it has to be somewhere "near the
> end" - But it leaves me wondering... One of the passages in it -

Yes, it's part of Sun and Shadow- in the 2nd half, but not exactly near
the end.

http://www.firebirdarts.com/music/3music33.shtml

I'm not that familiar with the whole thing, honestly, to be able to
answer any questions about who's who, though. :-D Except I always got
the vague impression that the basic premise of the song/story was the
same as that of Ladyhawke (the movie) I see I'm going to have to dig out
Arrows and have a look-see.

> The second "HUH?" moment was finding 6 different files on Limewire, all
> of them claiming to be "Windrider Unchained" - Two claiming to be the
> work of Mercedes Lackey, another claiming that it's Leslie Fish, another
> credited to Heather Alexander, one *NAMED* to indicate it's Misty, but
> with the ID3 tag inside it declaring it to be the work of Leslie Fish,
> and yet another, this one claiming to be Misty and Heather together.
>
> They all sound like the same person doing the singing, so obviously,
> SOMEBODY is smokin' crack! Anybody got the proper skinny on this? Who's
> doing the singing? It's quite obviously a Misty tune, but I can't decide
> if it's her doing the singing. I've gotta admit that I've never
> *KNOWINGLY* - as in "This is Mercedes Lackey doing a little number she
> calls..." - heard her sing, so I likely wouldn't recognize her voice if
> she was standing in front of me belting out The Michigan Rag :) )

Well, no one else sounds like Leslie Fish *G* So if you're at all
familiar with her work, you would be able to count her out, right away.
If you can get your hands on a copy (digital or otherwise) of Heralds,
Harpers, and Havoc, Misty sings the part of Selenay, IIRC. But my copy
got lost almost 5 years ago, *sigh* So don't quote me on that, and
Firebird just mentions that she's one of the singers, not who is singing
what.

Don Bruder

Nov 9, 2005, 11:29:02 AM11/9/05
In article <Dlkcf.15530$Zv5....@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net>,
Kat Hein <katen...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Don Bruder wrote:
> > Went hunting for Threes Rev 1.1, and instead stumbled onto a couple
> > doses of "HUH?!?!?" involving "Windrider Unchained".
> >
> > Now, I understand that this song is a snippet of the overall "Sun and
> > Shadow" tale - near as I can figure, it has to be somewhere "near the
> > end" - But it leaves me wondering... One of the passages in it -
>
> Yes, it's part of Sun and Shadow- in the 2nd half, but not exactly near
> the end.
>
> http://www.firebirdarts.com/music/3music33.shtml
>
> I'm not that familiar with the whole thing, honestly, to be able to
> answer any questions about who's who, though. :-D Except I always got
> the vague impression that the basic premise of the song/story was the
> same as that of Ladyhawke (the movie)

I'd agree with that - it really does sound as if the tale of Sun and
Shadow could have been the "rough draft" that got turned into the script
for Ladyhawke.

Or vice-versa...

I guess "near the end" due to the line "Spent now, the twain fall unseen
into shadow, gifted to strangers all that they had gained" - Which, if
I'm understanding the all-too-sparse information on the whole Sun &
Shadow "mythology", would be just about right for "the end", as I
*THINK* I remember something mentioning that the S&S tale, unlike
Ladyhawke, ends badly. (or at least depressingly)

Liz

Nov 9, 2005, 5:33:00 PM11/9/05
As far as the singer, it is Heather Alexander (on the Shadow Stalker
CD), but the author/composer is Misty. The rough story of S&S, as far
as I've been able to piece together is that each of them have been
cursed for some unknown reason and meet each and fall in love. They
then somehow gather power to break their curses, but find Windrider
being held captive by the evil villain type. They use all of the power
that they've gotten to free him, and he then smites Mr. Villain. Those
bits are from Sun and Shadow (from the HH&H cd) and Windrider (Shadow
Stalker). It is vaguely suggested in Arrows of the Queen that the two
become Heralds and Windrider breaks their curses as repayment. Looking
at the song titles of the Sun and Shadow CD, I suspect that is what
happens, since "Two New Heralds" does kind of lend that theory weight.

Liz

Grygon

Nov 12, 2005, 2:10:04 AM11/12/05

"Don Bruder" <dak...@sonic.net> wrote in message

> The second "HUH?" moment was finding 6 different files on Limewire, all
(SNIP)

oh, to have HSI. *weeps*

Grygon

Nov 12, 2005, 2:11:57 AM11/12/05

"Kat Hein" <katen...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I'm not that familiar with the whole thing, honestly, to be able to answer
> any questions about who's who, though. :-D Except I always got the vague
> impression that the basic premise of the song/story was the same as that
> of Ladyhawke (the movie) I see I'm going to have to dig out Arrows and
> have a look-see.

that's what a fellow told me when i showed her the lyrics to Snow Magic.
never seen Ladyhawke but i keep meaning to. doubt i'd find it at Block
Buster these days. sounds like a movie i need to own anyways. :)

Dave Joll

Nov 12, 2005, 2:25:06 AM11/12/05
"Grygon" <gry...@gmail.com> wrote

> never seen Ladyhawke but i keep meaning to. doubt i'd find it at Block
> Buster these days. sounds like a movie i need to own anyways. :)

It's been a while since I saw the film but I remember enjoying
it at least.

Don Bruder

Nov 12, 2005, 5:26:25 AM11/12/05
In article <dl45sp$n0o$1...@reader2.nmix.net>, "Grygon" <gry...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I'll second that.

I'm stuck on dial-up over ancient wires - Best connection speed ever
from this location: 33600bps, with 26400 and 19200 being "typical".

I've learned patience... And how to set things up so the computer takes
care of biz while I'm sleeping.

Don Bruder

Nov 12, 2005, 5:34:20 AM11/12/05
In article <dl45c9$ver$1...@lust.ihug.co.nz>,
"Dave Joll" <dave...@es.co.zn> wrote:

It's sappy, mushy, nauseatingly "sweet" fare that's loaded to the
eyebrows with cliches, but what it lacks in various other departments,
it makes up for in (A) *INCREDIBLE* horseflesh - particularly "Goliath"
(B) a climactic fight scene that's out of this world (and includes
Goliath) (C) Enough "camp" to supply a herd (or should I say "horde"?)
of cub scouts for a lifetime (D) a really nifty-looking sword and last
(but DEFINITELY not least...) Isabeau! <Yum!>

Uh-oh... looks like I might have woke up the PG-rating...

Move along, move along... Nothing to see here...

Grygon

Nov 12, 2005, 8:57:10 PM11/12/05

> In article <dl45c9$ver$1...@lust.ihug.co.nz>,
> "Dave Joll" <dave...@es.co.zn> wrote:
>
>> "Grygon" <gry...@gmail.com> wrote
>>
>> > never seen Ladyhawke but i keep meaning to. doubt i'd find it at Block
>> > Buster these days. sounds like a movie i need to own anyways. :)
>>
>> It's been a while since I saw the film but I remember enjoying
>> it at least.
>>

> It's sappy, mushy, nauseatingly "sweet" fare that's loaded to the
> eyebrows with cliches, but what it lacks in various other departments,

i hate sappy... but i hear it's rather furryish?

> it makes up for in (A) *INCREDIBLE* horseflesh - particularly "Goliath"

hmm... google-imaged him. damn, what a handsome stallion.

> (B) a climactic fight scene that's out of this world (and includes
> Goliath)

i love a good fight scene. so i guess it's up there? my two faves include
the fightscenes from Final Fantasy: Advent Children, and Vanyel's fight
scene (the edge of your seat one in LHM).

>(C) Enough "camp" to supply a herd (or should I say "horde"?)
> of cub scouts for a lifetime

i love camp.

>(D) a really nifty-looking sword and last
> (but DEFINITELY not least...) Isabeau! <Yum!>

i love a good sword... *g* (my lj userpic:
http://www.livejournal.com/userpic/36792404/291562)

definetly need to look this movie up.

Grygon

Nov 12, 2005, 8:59:59 PM11/12/05

>> oh, to have HSI. *weeps*
>>

> I'll second that.
>
> I'm stuck on dial-up over ancient wires - Best connection speed ever
> from this location: 33600bps, with 26400 and 19200 being "typical".

i'm stuck with a typical 46kbs... what's bps and kbs?

> I've learned patience... And how to set things up so the computer takes
> care of biz while I'm sleeping.

yeah... but to have limewire? i'd risk getting disconnected while dling
anything. what a pain in the arse.

Don Bruder

Nov 12, 2005, 9:26:46 PM11/12/05
In article <dl67u1$j2a$1...@reader2.nmix.net>, "Grygon" <gry...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> "Don Bruder" <dak...@sonic.net> wrote in message
> > In article <dl45c9$ver$1...@lust.ihug.co.nz>,
> > "Dave Joll" <dave...@es.co.zn> wrote:
> >
> >> "Grygon" <gry...@gmail.com> wrote

> >> It's been a while since I saw the film but I remember enjoying
> >> it at least.
> >>

> > It's sappy, mushy, nauseatingly "sweet" fare that's loaded to the
> > eyebrows with cliches, but what it lacks in various other departments,
>
> i hate sappy... but i hear it's rather furryish?

You mean Ala "FurryMuck"? Not really... In fact, I'd say not at all
except... Well, the "except" would give a big part of the plot away. But
no, I wouldn't even call the "except" to be truly "furry".

> > it makes up for in (A) *INCREDIBLE* horseflesh - particularly "Goliath"
>
> hmm... google-imaged him. damn, what a handsome stallion.

Ain't he something? And I ain't even usually all that big a fan of
Friesians.

> > (B) a climactic fight scene that's out of this world (and includes
> > Goliath)
>
> i love a good fight scene. so i guess it's up there? my two faves include
> the fightscenes from Final Fantasy: Advent Children

No clue. I've successfully avoided *EVERYTHING* about Final Fantasy
other than knowing the name since day one.

> and Vanyel's fight
> scene (the edge of your seat one in LHM).

You must be talking about the mess where Yfandes got her "haircut"?

There were several decent fights in the LHM set. Picking just one as
"the edge of your seat one" would be tough for me :)

> >(C) Enough "camp" to supply a herd (or should I say "horde"?)
> > of cub scouts for a lifetime
>
> i love camp.

> >(D) a really nifty-looking sword and last
> > (but DEFINITELY not least...) Isabeau! <Yum!>
> >

> i love a good sword... *g* (my lj userpic:
> http://www.livejournal.com/userpic/36792404/291562)

Gack! That's not a sword - That's a handle with a sheet of battle armor
for a Bolo Mark XXXVI intercontinental siege unit welded onto it!

(Gotta be either plastic or aluminum, I imagine? Since if it were
steel, I doubt even a weightlifter could hold it at the angle shown
without coming away with a broken wrist - Unless it's got one GODAWFUL
huge pommel nut that I just can't see, in which case, it would take a
weightlifter to swing the thing, and it would likely be about as much
fun as trying to use the Empire State Building as a baseball bat!)

Don Bruder

Nov 12, 2005, 9:39:48 PM11/12/05
In article <dl683a$j3f$1...@reader2.nmix.net>, "Grygon" <gry...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> "Don Bruder" <dak...@sonic.net> wrote in message
> >> oh, to have HSI. *weeps*
> >>

> > I'll second that.
> >
> > I'm stuck on dial-up over ancient wires - Best connection speed ever
> > from this location: 33600bps, with 26400 and 19200 being "typical".
> >

> i'm stuck with a typical 46kbs... what's bps and kbs?

Your "46kbs" is most likely the same as "46400bps" in my notation. About
13 of your "kbs" higher than my best-ever connection from here. (You can
(appoximately) turn my "bps" into your "kbs" by dropping the last three
digits off of my "bps" number)

> > I've learned patience... And how to set things up so the computer takes
> > care of biz while I'm sleeping.
> >

> yeah... but to have limewire? i'd risk getting disconnected while dling
> anything. what a pain in the arse.

So? Shut it down, reconnect, fire it back up. It picks up where it left
off, as long as you don't mess with any of the partial files or the
"Downloads.dat" file in your download directory. (Leastwise, that's how
it works here in "Mac-land"... I guess it could be different in
"PC-ville". :) )

Grygon

Nov 13, 2005, 2:27:44 AM11/13/05

>> i hate sappy... but i hear it's rather furryish?
>
> You mean Ala "FurryMuck"? Not really... In fact, I'd say not at all
> except... Well, the "except" would give a big part of the plot away. But
> no, I wouldn't even call the "except" to be truly "furry".

forgot i'm usually surrounded by nonfurs... if i recall correctly there are
animalistic curses involved in this movie? a girl cursed to be a hawke
certain times of the day? to a fur, that just SCREAMS "furry movie". ;)

>> > (B) a climactic fight scene that's out of this world (and includes
>> > Goliath)
>>
>> i love a good fight scene. so i guess it's up there? my two faves
>> include
>> the fightscenes from Final Fantasy: Advent Children
>
> No clue. I've successfully avoided *EVERYTHING* about Final Fantasy
> other than knowing the name since day one.

i've only seen the movies. i love the CGI and am learning the animation
program used to make the movies (Maya).

>> and Vanyel's fight
>> scene (the edge of your seat one in LHM).
>
> You must be talking about the mess where Yfandes got her "haircut"?
>
> There were several decent fights in the LHM set. Picking just one as
> "the edge of your seat one" would be tough for me :)

DID i pick just one? ;)

>> >(D) a really nifty-looking sword and last
>> > (but DEFINITELY not least...) Isabeau! <Yum!>
>> >

>> i love a good sword... *g* (my lj userpic:
>> http://www.livejournal.com/userpic/36792404/291562)
>
> Gack! That's not a sword - That's a handle with a sheet of battle armor
> for a Bolo Mark XXXVI intercontinental siege unit welded onto it!
>
> (Gotta be either plastic or aluminum, I imagine? Since if it were
> steel, I doubt even a weightlifter could hold it at the angle shown
> without coming away with a broken wrist - Unless it's got one GODAWFUL
> huge pommel nut that I just can't see, in which case, it would take a
> weightlifter to swing the thing, and it would likely be about as much
> fun as trying to use the Empire State Building as a baseball bat!)

oh it's fantasy, give it rest. ;)

tre...@idirect.ca

Nov 13, 2005, 6:49:20 AM11/13/05
Rogers is the ISP for cable internet for half of Canada. Effective
December 15th they are dropping the provision of Usenet newsgroups to
all of their subscribers due to low use of the usenet. The cost of
replacing that service via Giganews is almost Can$20 a month, which is
more than most of us are prepared to pay, so if you do not hear from me
again, farewall, and its been a funny 15 plus years since I started
using the Usenet...

Treyvin...

Happy flying...
tre...@idirect.ca
Treyvin chirps -|- Be happy and let ME read your mind.

.------. |||
/ ~ ~ \,------. ______
,' ~ ~ ~ / (@) \ ,'~ ~ ~ \
,' ~ ~ ~ /`. ~ ~ \ / ~ ~ \
,' | ,'\ ~ ~ ~ X \ \ \
,' ,' V--< ( \ \ \
,' ,' (vv \/\ \ \ | |
(__,' ,' / (vv "" \ \ | | |
(__,' / / vv """ \ | / / /
\__,' / | vv / / / / /
\__/ / | | \ / /,',','
\__/\_^ | \ /,'',','\
`-^.__>.____/ ' ,' \
// //---' |
===============(((((((=================
| \ \ \
/ | | \
/ / / \ \
`. | \
`--------'

Opinions expressed are my own. Copyright retained, for
what that is worth
If the material is considered illegal where you are, do
not read or retain it.

Don Bruder

Nov 13, 2005, 10:13:49 AM11/13/05
In article <dl6r9s$rta$1...@reader2.nmix.net>, "Grygon" <gry...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> "Don Bruder" <dak...@sonic.net> wrote in message
> >> i hate sappy... but i hear it's rather furryish?
> >
> > You mean Ala "FurryMuck"? Not really... In fact, I'd say not at all
> > except... Well, the "except" would give a big part of the plot away. But
> > no, I wouldn't even call the "except" to be truly "furry".
> >

> forgot i'm usually surrounded by nonfurs... if i recall correctly there are
> animalistic curses involved in this movie? a girl cursed to be a hawke
> certain times of the day? to a fur, that just SCREAMS "furry movie". ;)

Eh... OK, by that logic, yeah, it's a "furry movie". Very little, if
anything, in the "yiff" department, though. Even if you've got an
overactive fantasy gland :)

> > There were several decent fights in the LHM set. Picking just one as
> > "the edge of your seat one" would be tough for me :)
> >

> DID i pick just one? ;)

Smart aleck... :)

> > Gack! That's not a sword - That's a handle with a sheet of battle armor
> > for a Bolo Mark XXXVI intercontinental siege unit welded onto it!
> >
> > (Gotta be either plastic or aluminum, I imagine? Since if it were
> > steel, I doubt even a weightlifter could hold it at the angle shown
> > without coming away with a broken wrist - Unless it's got one GODAWFUL
> > huge pommel nut that I just can't see, in which case, it would take a
> > weightlifter to swing the thing, and it would likely be about as much
> > fun as trying to use the Empire State Building as a baseball bat!)
> >

> oh it's fantasy, give it rest. ;)

Yeah, I imagine installing a rest on it would probably help... :)

Beldin

Nov 13, 2005, 11:00:28 AM11/13/05
In article <dl67u1$j2a$1...@reader2.nmix.net>,
gry...@gmail.com says...

> i love a good sword... *g* (my lj userpic:
> http://www.livejournal.com/userpic/36792404/291562)
>
> definetly need to look this movie up.

Sorry, but all I get is a 1 inch square pic, and my eyes
ain't what they used to be. Have you got a bigger pic ?
Please ?

--

I quaff my ale and fight dirty!
Beldin Disciple of Aldur

( Barry Ruck. Harlow, Essex. )

Beldin

Nov 13, 2005, 11:04:38 AM11/13/05
In article <ps9en1lsnqe4g397i...@4ax.com>,
tre...@idirect.ca says...

> Rogers is the ISP for cable internet for half of Canada. Effective
> December 15th they are dropping the provision of Usenet newsgroups to
> all of their subscribers due to low use of the usenet. The cost of
> replacing that service via Giganews is almost Can$20 a month, which is
> more than most of us are prepared to pay, so if you do not hear from me
> again, farewall, and its been a funny 15 plus years since I started
> using the Usenet...

There's always Google, and individual.de is cheap ( text
only ).

> Treyvin...
>
> Happy flying...

I always enjoy flying ( and the odd pidgeon ) :o)

Grygon

Nov 14, 2005, 12:53:58 AM11/14/05

>> > You mean Ala "FurryMuck"? Not really... In fact, I'd say not at all
>> > except... Well, the "except" would give a big part of the plot away.
>> > But
>> > no, I wouldn't even call the "except" to be truly "furry".
>> >

>> forgot i'm usually surrounded by nonfurs... if i recall correctly there
>> are
>> animalistic curses involved in this movie? a girl cursed to be a hawke
>> certain times of the day? to a fur, that just SCREAMS "furry movie". ;)
>
> Eh... OK, by that logic, yeah, it's a "furry movie". Very little, if
> anything, in the "yiff" department, though. Even if you've got an
> overactive fantasy gland :)

Ick... don't know who introduced you to furry but furry does NOT
automatically equal yiffing. though so many people give us furrys a bad
name by just doing that... gross. to me, that's just insulting. i am a
furry by spiritualistic means, it has nothing to do with sxe. when i look
for furry media (books, movies, action figures, etc) i don't look for pron,
i look for the bond with nature and animals that i share with others.

>> oh it's fantasy, give it rest. ;)
>
> Yeah, I imagine installing a rest on it would probably help... :)

tho as you could see in my icon i partially agree with you- that sword is
too big and just NEEDS jokes and ribbing and fun poked at it.

Grygon

Nov 14, 2005, 12:59:54 AM11/14/05

"Beldin" <beldin....@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> Sorry, but all I get is a 1 inch square pic, and my eyes
> ain't what they used to be. Have you got a bigger pic ?
> Please ?

can't make it bigger but i can explain what it is.

First pic has the text "Think this sword is big?" with this pic:
http://peach-arrow.net/gloriosa/screens/ac/index.php?dir=movie&tot=1752&img=166&page=3

next image says "just wait..." with this pic:
http://peach-arrow.net/gloriosa/screens/ac/index.php?dir=movie&tot=1752&img=759&page=13

big sword joke. but how could i reseest? ;)

Joe Morris

Nov 14, 2005, 8:19:42 AM11/14/05
"Grygon" <gry...@gmail.com> writes:

>never seen Ladyhawke but i keep meaning to. doubt i'd find it at Block
>Buster these days. sounds like a movie i need to own anyways. :)

It was never a movie destined to win major prizes, but (with the exception
of a major astronomical blunder) it's a well-built production and worth
the price of admission. It manages to bring to the screen the magical
elements of the story without using the silly, overdone special effects
that seem to infest so many current-production films in which magic is
a part of the plot.

Joe Morris

Joe Morris

Nov 14, 2005, 8:27:00 AM11/14/05
"Grygon" <gry...@gmail.com> writes:

>> Yeah, I imagine installing a rest on it would probably help... :)

>tho as you could see in my icon i partially agree with you- that sword is
>too big and just NEEDS jokes and ribbing and fun poked at it.

Be careful about saying things like that...it *is* a sword, and swords
are known to poke back at people who make fun of them. Would you poke
fun at Need, at least where she could hear you?

Joe Morris

Dave Joll

Nov 14, 2005, 1:58:29 PM11/14/05
"Joe Morris" <jcmo...@mitre.org> wrote

> "Grygon" <gry...@gmail.com> writes:

>>tho as you could see in my icon i partially agree with you- that sword is
>>too big and just NEEDS jokes and ribbing and fun poked at it.

> Be careful about saying things like that...it *is* a sword, and swords
> are known to poke back at people who make fun of them. Would you poke
> fun at Need, at least where she could hear you?

Need's put up with worse from Kerowyn in her time...

And looking at the way that bloke in the picture is carrying
a sword that size it's got to be aluminium or something, so
it's not as if it's going to be all that sharp...

Anyway... it's more likely a case of poking fun at cartoon
physics. I mean... I've been watching anime for about a year
now. I've enjoyed most of what I've seen and some of it is
really good. But there are definitely bits (even in the good
stuff) that cry out to be mocked. Things like some `eighties
leftover that looks like he wants to be Billy Idol when he
grows up, or a strange character that acts a bit like the
world's most evil Mr. Humphries impersonator...

Grygon

Nov 18, 2005, 5:40:07 PM11/18/05

"Dave Joll" <dave...@es.co.zn> wrote in message

> And looking at the way that bloke in the picture is carrying
> a sword that size it's got to be aluminium or something, so
> it's not as if it's going to be all that sharp...

aluminium alloy, to be exact.

> Anyway... it's more likely a case of poking fun at cartoon
> physics. I mean... I've been watching anime for about a year
> now. I've enjoyed most of what I've seen and some of it is
> really good.

only anime i know is FF, the two movies. i don't really enjoy the
traditionally drawn anime but from what i hear it's all the anime on TV that
gives the rest a bad name and turns people like me off of it... so maybe i
need to look for the better stuff.

>But there are definitely bits (even in the good
> stuff) that cry out to be mocked. Things like some `eighties
> leftover that looks like he wants to be Billy Idol when he
> grows up, or a strange character that acts a bit like the
> world's most evil Mr. Humphries impersonator...

or their hair. good goddess. though i've seen an exchange student around
campus with a do looking very much like Cloud's (guy in the pics). i don't
stare... but i so would like to, he's actually very good looking.

Grygon

Nov 18, 2005, 5:41:38 PM11/18/05

"Joe Morris" <jcmo...@mitre.org> wrote in message

> It was never a movie destined to win major prizes, but (with the exception
> of a major astronomical blunder) it's a well-built production and worth
> the price of admission. It manages to bring to the screen the magical
> elements of the story without using the silly, overdone special effects
> that seem to infest so many current-production films in which magic is
> a part of the plot.

movies like that i like. sounds like Cat People (the b/w original) in that
sense. letting the audience use their own imagination.... what a concept.

Phil N D'Blan┊

Nov 25, 2005, 1:54:06 PM11/25/05

"Don Bruder" <dak...@sonic.net> wrote in message

> The second "HUH?" moment was finding 6 different files on Limewire, all
> of them claiming to be "Windrider Unchained" - Two claiming to be the
> work of Mercedes Lackey, another claiming that it's Leslie Fish, another
> credited to Heather Alexander, one *NAMED* to indicate it's Misty, but
> with the ID3 tag inside it declaring it to be the work of Leslie Fish,
> and yet another, this one claiming to be Misty and Heather together.
>
> They all sound like the same person doing the singing, so obviously,
> SOMEBODY is smokin' crack! Anybody got the proper skinny on this? Who's
> doing the singing? It's quite obviously a Misty tune, but I can't decide
> if it's her doing the singing. I've gotta admit that I've never
> *KNOWINGLY* - as in "This is Mercedes Lackey doing a little number she
> calls..." - heard her sing, so I likely wouldn't recognize her voice if
> she was standing in front of me belting out The Michigan Rag :) )

A great deal of the music that Ms. Lackey's lyrics were put with was written
(and often performed) by a group of people. The main creative musical push
coming from Leslie Fish (a genius completely beyond compare) added to by
Heather Alexander and Cecilia Eng. Now at least the 1st 2 ladies had a major
falling out with Firebird Music and Arts some 10 years back. (not sure about
Ms Eng) with much bitterness and such. The original music was performed by
mostly Heather Alexander and Cecilia Eng, with some versions performed by
Leslie Fish. The male voices get even more (Larry Warner, Michael Lonchor,
Frank Hayes, Kristoph Klover, Tom Smith and others) perplexing. Add to this
mix Meg Davis who did the "By the Sword" album/disk, which was also arranged
and worked on by Leslie Fish. Since that time, there has been a fairly
strong push to replace Ms Alexander (good luck, few have her vocal range,
and fewer her talent) with Shandeen, Dominec Bridwell, Margie Butler and
others.
The CD "Shadow Stalker, Songs of Vanyel's Time", which mostly features
Heather Alexander singing Leslie Fish arrangements, is (IMHO) the magnum
opus of the genre not unlike "Enter the Dragon" is to marshal arts films.

No doubt a lot of this is out of date..