'The Bad Lands'- John Metcalfe

rba...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
Timely? With a new collection due soon, I'd say so. Moreover, this can be
found in THE OMNIBUS OF CRIME, edited by Dorothy Sayers, which you all have.
Sure you do, it's right there holding up one leg of the refrigerator. The
water damage only soaked up through Arlen's 'The Gentleman From America.'

'The Bad Lands'- John Metcalfe

Well, you wouldn't expect a visit to a place called 'Todd' to be particularly
remarkable, but there you are. Brent Ormerod has a problem with neurosis, and
this is where he's gone to rest up.

He should have known he was in for a bad time when they sat him down at the
dinner table with a one-eyed man. Here's lookin' at you, Guvnor. No sleep
tonite. His subsequent rambles in the following days all seem to lead to the
same place: a ruined tower on the dunes, with a road beyond that leads
nowhere.

Add to neurosis a feeling of moral uneasiness and spiritual dissolution. Your
typical lost weekend. Nowhere, eh? We'll see about that. Hey, I feel much
better now ! That's odd, what happened to Todd?

Young Mr. Stanton-Boyle is acquainted with the Twilight Zone of Fennington,
but doesn't have the guts to see it through. It's 'gone abominable.' Everyone
else says it's just Hackney's Farm, no big woop.

What goes up must come down. Spinning wheel, got to go round.

Glossary:

frore fossicking patent separator terre-mauvaise

rbadac

ash...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/24/98
rba...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> Timely? With a new collection due soon,

Pleased to tell you that NIGHTMARE JACK and Other Stories by John Metcalfe is
already out, and has been despatched to those who order in advance, and will
be despatched to dealers tomorrow. It's a brilliant collection and I do hope
that there will be some discussion of Metcalfe when folk have had chance to
digest the stories. For one thing, it seems to me that Metcalfe must have
been a significant influence on Robert Aickman - in my view, perhaps not
enough of an influence, since I enjoyed many of the Metcalfe stories better
than anything by Aickman that I've read so far. But that is just a personal
view. The Ash-Tree collection has 17 stories, including 'The Feasting Dead',
which has been corrected to Metcalfe's own page proofs.

Christopher Roden

> Glossary:
>
> frore fossicking patent separator terre-mauvaise

Does rbadac invite comment on the above, or is it just a warning to folk?

rba...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/24/98

> > Glossary:
> >
> > frore fossicking patent separator terre-mauvaise
>
> Does rbadac invite comment on the above, or is it just a warning to folk?

My new feature when reviewing ghost stories written by overeducated people-
I've been noticing that certain words pop up from time to time that I just
don't have a clue what they mean without looking them up. And I'm not exactly
a dummy. So I put them in the review in order to either make myself feel
better or pass the frustration onto you all, whichever melts my butter at the
moment, probably both.

Check out what I got from Oliver Onions' 'Hic Jacet':

unconvenanted amanuensis bistred

'Would you say the detective story is the proper exercise of noble minds?'

-approximate quote from Lawrence Olivier to Michael Caine in 'Sleuth'

rbadac

Viole...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/24/98
In article <
6pafid$7dq$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

rba...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> > > Glossary:
> > >
> > > frore fossicking patent separator terre-mauvaise
> >
> > Does rbadac invite comment on the above, or is it just a warning to folk?
> >

> My new feature when reviewing ghost stories written by overeducated people-
> I've been noticing that certain words pop up from time to time that I just
> don't have a clue what they mean without looking them up. And I'm not exactly
> a dummy. So I put them in the review in order to either make myself feel
> better or pass the frustration onto you all, whichever melts my butter at the
> moment, probably both.
>
> Check out what I got from Oliver Onions' 'Hic Jacet':
>
> unconvenanted amanuensis bistred
>
> rbadac

frore: opposite of brehind

fossicking: foreplay

patent separator: machine for cream
extraction

terre-mauvaise: mud mixed with paint

uncovenanted: a goy. not circumcized

amanuensis: raw eggwhite

bistred: in a pot, mixed with a spoon

not to mention:
Hic Jacet: having belonged to a drooling
moron who hic-upped on the
dustwrapper.

j.a.s.

Ro...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/24/98
rba...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> > > Glossary:
> > >
> > > frore fossicking patent separator terre-mauvaise
> >
> > Does rbadac invite comment on the above, or is it just a warning to folk?
> >

> My new feature when reviewing ghost stories written by overeducated people-
> I've been noticing that certain words pop up from time to time that I just
> don't have a clue what they mean without looking them up. And I'm not exactly
> a dummy. So I put them in the review in order to either make myself feel
> better or pass the frustration onto you all, whichever melts my butter at the
> moment, probably both.
>
> Check out what I got from Oliver Onions' 'Hic Jacet':
>
> unconvenanted amanuensis bistred
>
> 'Would you say the detective story is the proper exercise of noble minds?'
>
> -approximate quote from Lawrence Olivier to Michael Caine in 'Sleuth'
>
> rbadac

After reading 'Hic Jacet,' do you still place Widdershins on a list of the 10
best ghost story collections? I thought not. It almost cancels out 'The
Beckoning Fair One.' Almost, but not quite.

By the way, my amanuensis is typing this.

Rob

ash...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/24/98

> By the way, my amanuensis is typing this.
>
> Rob

Wasn't he the brother who wrote down the music for Mozart: Wolfgang Amanuensis
Mozart?

CR (blame it on the sizzling weather in B.C.!)

rba...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/25/98
In article <6pan7f$hg2$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
Viole...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> frore: opposite of brehind
>
> fossicking: foreplay
>
> patent separator: machine for cream
> extraction
>
> terre-mauvaise: mud mixed with paint
>
> uncovenanted: a goy. not circumcized
>
> amanuensis: raw eggwhite
>
> bistred: in a pot, mixed with a spoon
>
> not to mention:
> Hic Jacet: having belonged to a drooling
> moron who hic-upped on the
> dustwrapper.
>
> j.a.s.

Heh heh. I love this group.

rbadac

rba...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/25/98
In article <6pamsn$gin$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
Ro...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> After reading 'Hic Jacet,' do you still place Widdershins on a list of the 10
> best ghost story collections? I thought not. It almost cancels out 'The
> Beckoning Fair One.' Almost, but not quite.
>

> By the way, my amanuensis is typing this.
>
> Rob

Hey, don't be a fossick.

'Hic Jacet' is rather a bore, isn't it? Maybe it would have worked if it
hadn't been so long. Maybe not. The upshot didn't seem worth the effort,
anyway. So the guy can't do any better than the crummy detective stories he'd
been writing all his life, even when hired to do his dead friend's bio.
Bleiler's summation was, 'There is no supernatural forgiveness for
intellectual prostitution.' Well, hell, WE knew THAT !! Was this some big
revelation back in 1911? As far as that goes, given the bulk of the material
we've been reading in this genre, there's precious little supernatural
forgiveness for ANYTHING.

But besides BFO, I'm still pretty fond of 'Rooum', 'Benlian', and even 'Io',
which I like because I have a weakness for Dionysian material (don't ask...).
'Phantas' is okay (a bit long itself, and more sci-fi than ghostly), 'The
Cigarette Case'- eh, it's an old theme. 'The Accident' - sci-fi again, and
uncomfortably reminiscent of Onions' occasional dangerous tendency to try to
be funny, in which endeavor he nearly always falls on his face, and 'The
Rocker'- well, You tell ME ! Did anybody ever find a text for this story?
Five bucks. Got it right here. Waiting patiently.

The collection is helped of course by extension, as we know how good Onions
can be (cf: 'The Painted Face', 'The Rosewood Door', 'The Rope In The
Rafters', which were not in WID, but are classics).

Yeah, I'm leaving it on. At least until somebody sends me the damn Rocker. I
may find out there was a very good reason for it having been omitted, though.

Brian McNaughton

Jul 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/25/98
On Fri, 24 Jul 1998 02:36:43 GMT, ash...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

>Pleased to tell you that NIGHTMARE JACK and Other Stories by John Metcalfe is
>already out, and has been despatched to those who order in advance, and will
>be despatched to dealers tomorrow.

So how does one go about getting a copy?

--Brian McNaughton

jpe...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/26/98
In article <35bb3b71...@news.monmouth.com>,

A visit to http://www.ash-tree.bc.ca/ashtreecurrent.html with credit card at
ready should do the trick. IMO, this is one of the bargain books of the year
considering what one would have to spend on even battered copies of THE
SMOKING LEG and THE FEASTING DEAD.

Unfortunately, my copy has not arrived yet, or I'd have more comments to pass
on...

John Pelan (Eyeing the mailbox with anticipation)

Robert Suggs

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98
rba...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

>The collection is helped of course by extension, as we know how good Onions
>can be (cf: 'The Painted Face', 'The Rosewood Door', 'The Rope In The
>Rafters', which were not in WID, but are classics).

Cheater, cheater! So we can puff up our choices by sneaking in stories
that weren't included? Yet you took pride in YOUR top ten list, if I
remember correctly, being "all original collections" (whereas I had
put the collected E. F. Benson and such on mine). We can put lots of
writers on a list if we monkey with the table of contents! I take
second place to no one in my admiration for "The Beckoning Fair One,"
and perhaps that's why I find most of the other stories in Widdershins
particularly underwhelming. "Hic Jacet" is almost enough on its own to
exclude the book from a best-ever list! "Rope in the Rafters" is a
good'un. It's in the Ashley Mammoth Book of Short Horror Novels which
is easy to find second-hand.

Rob

Bi...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98
In article <6pd9kv$obg$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

rba...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
'The
> Rocker'- well, You tell ME ! Did anybody ever find a text for this story?
> Five bucks. Got it right here. Waiting patiently.
>
> Yeah, I'm leaving it on. At least until somebody sends me the damn Rocker. I
> may find out there was a very good reason for it having been omitted, though.

I read it last night, and my verdict is: it's all right, and would neither
make or break WIDDERSHINS.

SPOILERS

It's a story about a ghost of a baby-that-might-have-been. Onions telegraphs
the ending about halfway through, which takes much of the wind out of it. We
get an intimation of what "might" occur, and lo and behold, it does. Reminds
me of one of my least favorite EFB stories, "The Confession of Charles
Linkworth." (Who *doesn't* know who that phone call will be from?)

Glossary:

laithes, quean, oxter

Rbadac, if you're still interested in reading it you may borrow my copy of
Fontana Ghost 13, drop me a line at bbar...@peabody.jhu.edu.

Bill B.

rba...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98
In article <6pgif5$kqr$1...@camel0.mindspring.com>,

bid...@mindspring.com wrote:
> rba...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>
> >The collection is helped of course by extension, as we know how good Onions
> >can be (cf: 'The Painted Face', 'The Rosewood Door', 'The Rope In The
> >Rafters', which were not in WID, but are classics).
>
> Cheater, cheater! So we can puff up our choices by sneaking in stories
> that weren't included? Yet you took pride in YOUR top ten list, if I
> remember correctly, being "all original collections" (whereas I had
> put the collected E. F. Benson and such on mine). We can put lots of
> writers on a list if we monkey with the table of contents!

I am NOT a cheater !! Take that back !! (Rob and rbadac scuffle on the floor.)

Ahem. I remain secure in my original single-author collection choice.
WIDDERSHINS succeeds purely on the strength of the stories it contains.
'BFO', 'Rouum', 'Benlian', 'Io' alone define one of the most unique voices in
the literature, an opinion that is ONLY SUBSTANTIATED by the existence of
Onions' other fine stories, in my mature opinion...(elbows Rob and unties his
shoe.)

I take
> second place to no one in my admiration for "The Beckoning Fair One,"
> and perhaps that's why I find most of the other stories in Widdershins
> particularly underwhelming. "Hic Jacet" is almost enough on its own to
> exclude the book from a best-ever list! "Rope in the Rafters" is a
> good'un. It's in the Ashley Mammoth Book of Short Horror Novels which
> is easy to find second-hand.
>
> Rob

Unlike THE COLLECTED GHOST STORIES OF... unfortunately.

rbadac ('quit hitting me...I'm gonna tell,' etc.)

rba...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98
In article <6pi40e$ign$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
Bi...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> I read it last night, and my verdict is: it's all right, and would neither
> make or break WIDDERSHINS.
>
> SPOILERS
>
> It's a story about a ghost of a baby-that-might-have-been. Onions telegraphs
> the ending about halfway through, which takes much of the wind out of it. We
> get an intimation of what "might" occur, and lo and behold, it does. Reminds
> me of one of my least favorite EFB stories, "The Confession of Charles
> Linkworth." (Who *doesn't* know who that phone call will be from?)
>
> Glossary:
>
> laithes, quean, oxter
>
> Rbadac, if you're still interested in reading it you may borrow my copy of
> Fontana Ghost 13, drop me a line at bbar...@peabody.jhu.edu.
>
> Bill B.

Thanks, Bill !! I'll do that.

('laithes', 'quean', oxter'- see? These guys are just plain WEIRD. Just drive
me to the end, writers, and leave out the speedbumps!)

rbadac

Monica Johnson

Feb 11, 2024, 4:14:25 AMFeb 11
✅🔴▶️▶ Really Amazing ️You Can Try This ◀️◀️🔴✅
🔴ALL>Movies✅ 📺 📱 💻 ✅ALL>Movies🔴
✅▶️▶️ CLICK HERE Full HD✅720p✅1080p✅4K✅

WATCH ✅💻📺📱👉https://co.fastmovies.org

ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ ✅📺📱💻👉https://co.fastmovies.org