Strangers

1 view

ldlac

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
Silly? I don't think so.
:)
Linda
paulo...@my-deja.com wrote in message <8bufcj$g78$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...
>I've been reading Strangers during the past couple of days, and I've
>noticed some techniques that Koontz used to maintain the suspense of
>the novel... and I've realized that they're incredibly blatant. Some
>of them, anyway. Some of them still make my skin crawl, but some of
>them... uagh! Listen to this one:
>-
>"Faye Block was nevertheless plagued by the instinctive and unnerving
>feeling that something was wrong. Very wrong."
>-
>There's so many things wrong with this sentence that I actually laughed
>when I read it. I'm glad that Koontz has continued to mature as a
>writer.
>-
>But here's the question: what are some of the silliest passages that
>you've ever read in a Koontz novel? (Not those that were MEANT to be
>silly, but those that were meant to be scary or chilling or
>suspenseful?) I think this analysis could help us to appreciate the
>GOOD parts of his novels even more.
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

paulo...@my-deja.com

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00

paulo...@my-deja.com

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00

> >But here's the question: what are some of the silliest passages that
> >you've ever read in a Koontz novel? (Not those that were MEANT to be
> >silly, but those that were meant to be scary or chilling or
> >suspenseful?) I think this analysis could help us to appreciate the
> >GOOD parts of his novels even more.

> Silly? I don't think so.

Now, don't get me wrong. The hypnotism passage, with Pablo Jackson--
the first hypnotism passage--was incredible. I loved reading it. But
you've got to admit, he (Koontz, not Pablo) is a better writer now than
he was then. Even Koontz himself has admitted to looking over past
novels with the urge to revise them.
-
Here's another example--a girl to whom Brendan Cronin administers
during his hospital time says the following: "That patch of snow...
looks like a ship... a beautiful old ship with three white sails,
gliding across a slate-colored sea... The ice and snow are like... like
jewels... and ermine cloaks that God uses to dress up the world..."
This girl's ten years old, and she uses words like "slate"
and "ermine"? Heehee... sounds pretty silly to me. 8D

Jennie K.

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
I see what you mean there - personally I hate that "something was
wrong. Very wrong." construction - or "It was quiet. Too quiet." etc.
For one thing, it is totally cliched to the point were it doesn't work
as it is intended too. Second thing is that it is sort of like ramming
it home to the reader with a sledgehammer. I think it's better to have
it a bit more understated - by and large readers don't need everything
spelled out completely - in a way, the important thing about suspense
or horror is knowing what to leave out. If the atmosphere is well
written, the reader will realise that something is "wrong, very
wrong," just as the character does, without needing to be told.

Jenn

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 02:50:01 GMT, paulo...@my-deja.com wrote:

>I've been reading Strangers during the past couple of days, and I've
>noticed some techniques that Koontz used to maintain the suspense of
>the novel... and I've realized that they're incredibly blatant. Some
>of them, anyway. Some of them still make my skin crawl, but some of
>them... uagh! Listen to this one:
>-
>"Faye Block was nevertheless plagued by the instinctive and unnerving
>feeling that something was wrong. Very wrong."
>-
>There's so many things wrong with this sentence that I actually laughed
>when I read it. I'm glad that Koontz has continued to mature as a
>writer.
>-

>But here's the question: what are some of the silliest passages that
>you've ever read in a Koontz novel? (Not those that were MEANT to be
>silly, but those that were meant to be scary or chilling or
>suspenseful?) I think this analysis could help us to appreciate the
>GOOD parts of his novels even more.

Staci

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
I am not going to read your post Paul, because I just got Strangers, and
I am going for a reread in a few weeks :) I will save this post, and
read it then :)

--
Staci
If you want happiness for a lifetime, help someone else

<paulo...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

paulo...@my-deja.com

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
In article <J5JE4.5715$64.1...@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,

"Staci" <slot...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I am not going to read your post Paul, because I just got Strangers,
and
> I am going for a reread in a few weeks :) I will save this post, and
> read it then :)

Enjoy, Staci! As I read, in the meantime, I'll post silly passages
that I find. I didn't find any that I can recall last night; I was
swept up in the climax of the Christmas Day section, which I think was
brilliantly written. But I'll pour through the text again and see if I
can find any passages that strike me as rather silly.

paulo...@my-deja.com

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00

Here's another silly passage--page 52 in the paperback, Parker Faine is
talking to Dom about his sleepwalking: "I wonder if this problem of
yours is somehow related to the changes you underwent two summers ago."

About two years have passed, and any number of things have happened
between the vacation and the time of sleepwalking, and Parker
immediately pawns the vacation as the culprit? Heehee. But I
understand why Koontz did this: he needed the reader to know about the
vacation. It's a central plot element. It was a (perhaps) necessary
stretch, but reading over it for the second time made me giggle.

Luigi

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00

I think you're forcing things a bit, Paulo (is this your name? Sorry, I
didn't see it written, so I'm just guessing). I think the question Parker
Faine poses, here, is totally justified. We're talking about something that
was by far the most eery, unexplainable event in Dom's life, so...
Anyway, just my 2 cents worth. :-)
--
~Luigi~
http://web.tiscalinet.it/luigiurato

paulo...@my-deja.com

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
In article <8c09d4$vik$1...@pegasus.tiscalinet.it>,

"Luigi" <nospamg...@tiscalinet.it> wrote:

We're talking about something that
> was by far the most eery, unexplainable event in Dom's life, so...
> Anyway, just my 2 cents worth. :-)

Bah. People change all the time. All things considered, it wasn't all
that eerie. Perhaps unexplainable, yes, but not eerie. To a point,
you're right--this is a debateable issue, and there are certainly
better "silly" passages from this novel. I'll find some later today;
right now, I'm eating a burger from my very favorite burger
joint 'round town. Mmm!

By the way, the name's Paul. ;)

Bryan Ecker

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
One fine day in the middle of the night breadandr...@spancity.com
(Jennie K.) wrote:

>I see what you mean there - personally I hate that "something was
>wrong. Very wrong." construction - or "It was quiet. Too quiet." etc.

I see nothing wrong with it.

Nothing at all.

--
Bryan Ecker | "You cannot make someone love
http://www.hsanet.net/user/ecker/ | you. You can only stalk them and

Lelia Taylor

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
LOL---I never know whether you're gonna make me laugh or want to throw
something at you : )

--
Lelia

Do not dig a hole for another,
you just might fall in it yourself.
(Russian Proverb)
Bryan Ecker <ec...@us.hsanet.net> wrote in message

Bryan Ecker

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
One fine day in the middle of the night catl...@home.com (Lelia Taylor)
wrote:

>LOL---I never know whether you're gonna make me laugh or want to throw
>something at you : )

Thanks. I think. I'm not entirely sure how to take that.

Just let me know which you feel like doing so I know whether to duck
or not.

Lelia Taylor

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
No ducking this time <BG>

--
Lelia

Do not dig a hole for another,
you just might fall in it yourself.
(Russian Proverb)
Bryan Ecker <ec...@us.hsanet.net> wrote in message

Staci

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
Like when you don't know whether to hug or smack someone?? LOL!

--
Staci
If you want happiness for a lifetime, help someone else
- Chinese Proverb

Luigi

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
I'm not with you on this, Snow. I'm almost sure you won't, but you should
try The Green Mile or Bag of Bones before you say King doesn't write well. I
found these two, for instance, to be supremely written, pal. As I see it,
these two are far better than a couple of Koontzies which were not
as...great as the others. :-)
~Luigi the Heretic~

Christopher Snow <fort_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
38e4b...@203.29.167.224...
> Even if they were silly, I either didn't notice or didn't mind them. I
> usually focus on the good parts and try not to see the not so good parts.
> And me dreaming of one day being a writer, the one question I ask myself
> before critizing a book is: Can I do better? That's why I have no problem
> pointing out things that are wrong in King's books. I seriously think I
can
> do better. Never Koontz though. :-)
>
> Snowman
> PS. I think King has very good plots, but his writing....

> <paulo...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > I've been reading Strangers during the past couple of days, and I've
> > noticed some techniques that Koontz used to maintain the suspense of
> > the novel... and I've realized that they're incredibly blatant. Some
> > of them, anyway. Some of them still make my skin crawl, but some of
> > them... uagh! Listen to this one:
> > -
> > "Faye Block was nevertheless plagued by the instinctive and unnerving
> > feeling that something was wrong. Very wrong."
> > -
> > There's so many things wrong with this sentence that I actually laughed
> > when I read it. I'm glad that Koontz has continued to mature as a
> > writer.
> > -
> > But here's the question: what are some of the silliest passages that
> > you've ever read in a Koontz novel? (Not those that were MEANT to be
> > silly, but those that were meant to be scary or chilling or
> > suspenseful?) I think this analysis could help us to appreciate the
> > GOOD parts of his novels even more.

Staci

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
:) :) :) :) :) :)
I know.

--
Staci
There's someone out there for everyone

"Gayle" <sh...@pinebelt.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 13:52:11 GMT, "Staci" <slot...@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
> It's just funny. So funny. :)
>
> Gayle

ldlac

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
Snowman, *do* try The Green Mile, it is outstanding. I liked Bag of Bones,
too, but I like King. TGM is probably the more likeable of the two.
:)
Linda
Christopher Snow wrote in message <38e54...@203.29.167.224>...
>I'll have to get them then, the few King's that I've read really killed it
>for me. I'll give him another try. Thanks!
>
>Snowman

ldlac

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
What *is* representative? I enjoyed all three of those. Not as much as It
or The Stand or Salem's Lot. IMO The Regulators is the worst book he's
written.
:)
Linda
Bryan Ecker wrote in message
<8F08D3F6Ceck...@news.us.hsanet.net>...
>One fine day in the middle of the night fort_...@yahoo.com (Christopher

>Snow) wrote:
>
>>I'll have to get them then, the few King's that I've read really killed it
>>for me. I'll give him another try. Thanks!
>
>What books did you read? Maybe they weren't entirely representative of
>his work. It wasn't, like, The Talisman or Cujo or anything like that
>was it?
>
>It wasn't (God help us) Christine, was it?

ldlac

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
I loved it too. I enjoy Peter Staub's work. If you haven't, read The
Hellfire Club.
:)
Linda
Cathi K. wrote in message <20000331210001...@ng-da1.aol.com>...
>Bryan, I know THE TALISMAN is not really representative of SK but it's one
of
>my favorite books all the same.

>>What books did you read? Maybe they weren't entirely representative of
>>his work. It wasn't, like, The Talisman or Cujo or anything like that
>>was it?
>

>Cathi K.
>*********
>"She's up there all alone...I'm down here changing lanes."
> - Tom Petty

Christopher Snow

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00

Christopher Snow

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
I'll have to get them then, the few King's that I've read really killed it
for me. I'll give him another try. Thanks!

Snowman

Luigi <nospamg...@tiscalinet.it> wrote in message
> I'm not with you on this, Snow. I'm almost sure you won't, but you should
> try The Green Mile or Bag of Bones before you say King doesn't write well.
> found these two, for instance, to be supremely written, pal. As I see it,
> these two are far better than a couple of Koontzies which were not
> as...great as the others. :-)
> ~Luigi the Heretic~
> http://web.tiscalinet.it/luigiurato
>
> Christopher Snow <fort_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> 38e4b...@203.29.167.224...

Bryan Ecker

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
Snow) wrote:

>I'll have to get them then, the few King's that I've read really killed it
>for me. I'll give him another try. Thanks!

What books did you read? Maybe they weren't entirely representative of

his work. It wasn't, like, The Talisman or Cujo or anything like that
was it?

It wasn't (God help us) Christine, was it?

Cathi K.

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
Bryan, I know THE TALISMAN is not really representative of SK but it's one of
my favorite books all the same.

>What books did you read? Maybe they weren't entirely representative of

>his work. It wasn't, like, The Talisman or Cujo or anything like that
>was it?

Cathi K.

Bryan Ecker

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
One fine day in the middle of the night ld...@attglobal.net (ldlac) wrote:

>What *is* representative? I enjoyed all three of those. Not as much
>as It or The Stand or Salem's Lot. IMO The Regulators is the worst
>book he's written.

I'd say It, the Stand and SL are pretty representative. I wasn't
all that thrilled with Salem's Lot, but it's better than a lot of
the one's he wrote around that time. IMHO, of course.

And Stephen King didn't write the Regulators, you know. Some dude
named Richard Bachman or some such wrote it. Why they packaged it
with a Stephen King book is beyond me.

--
Bryan Ecker
"Yes... that was a joke."

Bryan Ecker

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
One fine day in the middle of the night scull...@aol.com (Cathi K.)
wrote:

>Bryan, I know THE TALISMAN is not really representative of SK but
>it's one of my favorite books all the same.

It was okay, and it had some things in it that were pretty cool. I
thought the Territories idea was cool, for instance, and the villian
was pretty well done.

Even so, all in all, I had a really tough time swallowing the
primary premise of the story.

*** SPOILERS FOR TALISMAN FOLLOW ***

I didn't like the idea that something like THE Talisman, which seemed
to be some sort of Nexus Of The Universe being used to save ONE person
and then it's gone. What was that about?

I just didn't buy it. It seemed like a waste to me.

Bianca

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
Stephen King wrote "The Regulators"_ Richard Bachman was his pen
name..<øh.....did I hear the word joke!!?? Well, then everything is
ok.........>
IMHO some of King's best books are:
"The Green Mile", "Gerald's Game", "Bag of Bones", "IT", "Rose Madder", and
of couse "Misery" which is a brilliant book/movie.

BTW, I love "Strangers". It's my number one along with "Watchers". I would
love to re-read it, to see if it's really as good as I remember.
--
~~~~~Bianca~~~~~
http://hjem.get2net.dk/biggi/

-The Book of Counted Sorrows-

"Bryan Ecker" <ec...@us.hsanet.net> skrev i en meddelelse

Sime

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
Wonderful story :):)

--

"Shoot for the moon.
Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."

Creative Castle: http://www.king100.demon.co.uk/abdk
Cathi K. <scull...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Bryan, I know THE TALISMAN is not really representative of SK but it's one
of
> my favorite books all the same.

Sime

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
Agreed with everything there Bianca. Well, except I haven't read Gerald's
Game yet. But I loved all the others.
Oh, and it's great to see you here again. :):):):)

--

"Shoot for the moon.
Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."
- Les Brown

Creative Castle: http://www.king100.demon.co.uk/abdk
Bianca <b...@get2net.dk> wrote in message

Bryan Ecker

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
One fine day in the middle of the night b...@get2net.dk (Bianca) wrote:

>Stephen King wrote "The Regulators"_ Richard Bachman was his pen
>name..<øh.....did I hear the word joke!!?? Well, then everything is
>ok.........>

Heh, heh, heh.

>IMHO some of King's best books are:
>"The Green Mile", "Gerald's Game", "Bag of Bones", "IT", "Rose
>Madder", and of couse "Misery" which is a brilliant book/movie.

I agree with most of those except Gerald's Game and Rose Madder.
Gerald's Game just bored me to tears. It was way too slow paced
a book for me. And I just didn't get Rose Madder. It started off
like it had potential, and just went nowhere. It seemed that it
was just weird for weirdness's sake. All in my most humble opinion,
of course.

I just finished Bag of Bones a couple of weeks ago. That was a
good read. Misery is still in the upper 10% of all the books I've
read. And it's also one of the best book to movie translations
I've ever seen. Maybe The Best.

>BTW, I love "Strangers". It's my number one along with "Watchers". I would
>love to re-read it, to see if it's really as good as I remember.

I don't think you're going to get much argument about those two here.
I have to go with Dragon's Tears and The Bad Place. (Although they
interchange with one or two others depending on my mood!)

Jennie K.

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
Grrrrrrrrrrr stop it girl! lol

Bianca

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
Thanx, Sime. =O)
I'll givet it a try once more.

--

"Sime" <ld...@dial.pipex.com> skrev i en meddelelse

> Agreed with everything there Bianca. Well, except I haven't read Gerald's
> Game yet. But I loved all the others.
> Oh, and it's great to see you here again. :):):):)
>
> --
>
> "Shoot for the moon.
> Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."
> - Les Brown
>
> Creative Castle: http://www.king100.demon.co.uk/abdk
> Bianca <b...@get2net.dk> wrote in message

> > Stephen King wrote "The Regulators"_ Richard Bachman was his pen
> > name..<øh.....did I hear the word joke!!?? Well, then everything is
> > ok.........>

> > IMHO some of King's best books are:
> > "The Green Mile", "Gerald's Game", "Bag of Bones", "IT", "Rose Madder",
> and
> > of couse "Misery" which is a brilliant book/movie.
> >

> > BTW, I love "Strangers". It's my number one along with "Watchers". I
would
> > love to re-read it, to see if it's really as good as I remember.

ldlac

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
I really liked Gerald's Game. But it might change your mind about some
games.
:)
Linda

ldlac

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
I agree with you on Rose Madder. The characters were great, but the story
weirded out.

:)
<8F0942932eck...@news.us.hsanet.net>...

>One fine day in the middle of the night b...@get2net.dk (Bianca) wrote:
>
>>Stephen King wrote "The Regulators"_ Richard Bachman was his pen
>>name..<øh.....did I hear the word joke!!?? Well, then everything is
>>ok.........>
>
>Heh, heh, heh.

>>IMHO some of King's best books are:
>>"The Green Mile", "Gerald's Game", "Bag of Bones", "IT", "Rose
>>Madder", and of couse "Misery" which is a brilliant book/movie.
>
>I agree with most of those except Gerald's Game and Rose Madder.
>Gerald's Game just bored me to tears. It was way too slow paced
>a book for me. And I just didn't get Rose Madder. It started off
>like it had potential, and just went nowhere. It seemed that it
>was just weird for weirdness's sake. All in my most humble opinion,
>of course.
>
>I just finished Bag of Bones a couple of weeks ago. That was a
>good read. Misery is still in the upper 10% of all the books I've
>read. And it's also one of the best book to movie translations
>I've ever seen. Maybe The Best.
>
>>BTW, I love "Strangers". It's my number one along with "Watchers". I would
>>love to re-read it, to see if it's really as good as I remember.

Bianca

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
LOL...Linda, Linda...are you bad ;););););)
Well..... that doesn't matter anyway, I
certanily agree with you, and it maight have
been those thoughts that made this book
so freaking scary <grin>.

--

"ldlac" <ld...@attglobal.net> skrev i en meddelelse

> I really liked Gerald's Game. But it might change your mind about some
> games.
> :)
> Linda

> Sime wrote in message <8c49t5$mvd$1...@lure.pipex.net>...
> >Agreed with everything there Bianca. Well, except I haven't read Gerald's
> >Game yet. But I loved all the others.
> >Oh, and it's great to see you here again. :):):):)

> >Bianca <b...@get2net.dk> wrote in message

>> Stephen King wrote "The Regulators"_ Richard Bachman was his pen
>> name..<øh.....did I hear the word joke!!?? Well, then everything is
>> ok.........>

>> IMHO some of King's best books are:
>> "The Green Mile", "Gerald's Game", "Bag of Bones", "IT", "Rose Madder",
>and
>> of couse "Misery" which is a brilliant book/movie.
>>

>> BTW, I love "Strangers". It's my number one along with "Watchers". I
> would
>> love to re-read it, to see if it's really as good as I remember.

Josh<viper8787>

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
Then that makes you wrong, very wrong. :-)
Josh

> I see nothing wrong with it.
>
> Nothing at all.
>
> --
> Bryan Ecker | "You cannot make someone love
> http://www.hsanet.net/user/ecker/ | you. You can only stalk them and
> ec...@us.hsanet.net | hope they panic and give in."
> BAE Systems, Inc. |

ldlac

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
Bianca, I just can't help myself! How you been dear? It's good to have
you back at the newsgroup, we've missed you.
:)
Linda

Luke Croll

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
I hated 'The Regulators'. I read it when I didn't know Bachman was King
and I thought it was awful.

In article <TYgF4.528$N74....@news.get2net.dk>, Bianca
<b...@get2net.dk> writes

--
Luke Croll
The alt.books.dean-koontz FAQ is found at:

Christopher Snow

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
Christine and Tommy Knockers.

Snowman

> One fine day in the middle of the night fort_...@yahoo.com (Christopher
> Snow) wrote:
>
> >I'll have to get them then, the few King's that I've read really killed
it
> >for me. I'll give him another try. Thanks!
>

> What books did you read? Maybe they weren't entirely representative of
> his work. It wasn't, like, The Talisman or Cujo or anything like that
> was it?
>

> It wasn't (God help us) Christine, was it?

Bryan Ecker

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
Snow) wrote:

>Christine and Tommy Knockers.

You poor guy. No wonder.

I'll have to admit right here and now that Tommyknockers was one of
my favorite books by him. But you can throw me out as an abberation
since Tommyknockers is almost universally considered to be his
biggest piece of trash ever. I think even King himself disliked the
story. I've only met one other person who admitted to liking it.

And the movie was simply dreadful. Even I hated that one. The casting
was well done and the acting was acceptable, but the translation into
movie form just ruined everything that I liked about the book. No
Anne Anderson? I thought she was priceless. And the ending was so
dissimilar to the book ending that I had to check and make sure I was
watching the right movie.

I'm not sure what the consensus is on Christine, but I thought it
was tripe.

I think that someone already suggested The Green Mile as a good place
to re-start, and I'll second that emotion. The Stand is also good, but
I'd recommend the Cut and Abridged version for the uninitiated. I
happen to love 5cm thick books that drag things out, but you may not.

Sue Simpson

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
BEEEEE! it's good to see you .. are you being good?
Sooz

Lelia Taylor

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
OK, I confess---I liked it, too : )

--
Lelia

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us
who do.
(Anonymous)

Bryan Ecker <ec...@us.hsanet.net> wrote in message

ldlac

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
I loved the beserk coke machine!

:)
Linda
Bryan Ecker wrote in message
<8F0A300Aecke...@news.us.hsanet.net>...

>One fine day in the middle of the night fort_...@yahoo.com (Christopher
>Snow) wrote:
>
>>Christine and Tommy Knockers.
>
>You poor guy. No wonder.
>
>I'll have to admit right here and now that Tommyknockers was one of
>my favorite books by him. But you can throw me out as an abberation
>since Tommyknockers is almost universally considered to be his
>biggest piece of trash ever. I think even King himself disliked the
>story. I've only met one other person who admitted to liking it.

ldlac

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
berserk?
:)
Linda

ldlac

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
Keep an eye out for Pennywise, he's scary! I loved IT.
:)
Linda
Christopher Snow wrote in message <38e7c...@203.29.167.224>...
>My friend recommanded IT, what do you think?
>
>Snowman

Christopher Snow

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00

Ernest Fairchild

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
In TK, the coke machine comes after the reporter? Remember???

Have a great day!

Ernest
(efair...@home.com)

_____________________
"Never say never! Instead, be a wimp and say, 'Well, maybe, you know,
kinda.'"
Visit my website at http://www.public.asu.edu/~ernestf

"ldlac" <ld...@attglobal.net> wrote in message

> berserk?
> :)
> Linda
> ldlac wrote in message <38e7b...@news1.prserv.net>...
> >I loved the beserk coke machine!
> >:)
> >Linda
> >Bryan Ecker wrote in message
> ><8F0A300Aecke...@news.us.hsanet.net>...

Lelia Taylor

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
Yes, one of the best!

--

> My friend recommanded IT, what do you think?
>
> Snowman

Josh<viper8787>

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
I agree, a lot people can do better than King. Actually the majority of
people can.
Josh
In article <38e4b...@203.29.167.224>,
"Christopher Snow" <fort_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Even if they were silly, I either didn't notice or didn't mind them. I
> usually focus on the good parts and try not to see the not so good
parts.
> And me dreaming of one day being a writer, the one question I ask
myself
> before critizing a book is: Can I do better? That's why I have no
problem
> pointing out things that are wrong in King's books. I seriously think
I can
> do better. Never Koontz though. :-)
>
> Snowman
> PS. I think King has very good plots, but his writing....
>
> <paulo...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > I've been reading Strangers during the past couple of days, and I've
> > noticed some techniques that Koontz used to maintain the suspense of
> > the novel... and I've realized that they're incredibly blatant. Some
> > of them, anyway. Some of them still make my skin crawl, but some of
> > them... uagh! Listen to this one:
> > -
> > "Faye Block was nevertheless plagued by the instinctive and
unnerving
> > feeling that something was wrong. Very wrong."
> > -
> > There's so many things wrong with this sentence that I actually
laughed
> > when I read it. I'm glad that Koontz has continued to mature as a
> > writer.
> > -
> > But here's the question: what are some of the silliest passages that
> > you've ever read in a Koontz novel? (Not those that were MEANT to be
> > silly, but those that were meant to be scary or chilling or
> > suspenseful?) I think this analysis could help us to appreciate the
> > GOOD parts of his novels even more.

Lelia Taylor

Cathi K.

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
Snowman, I'm half way thru IT right now, my second re-read. I guess you could
say that I like it a lot.

>My friend recommanded IT, what do you think?
>
>Snowman

Cathi K.
*********
April is the cruelest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
- TS Eliot

Darlene

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
Why Bryan, I would have guessed that "Gerald's Game" would have been
right up your alley! The only difference between your games and Gerald's
is the Batman suit! LOL! I personally loved the book. Rose Madder I
would agree started out with great promise then died in it's tracks. And
I also agree Bag Of Bones and Misery were excellent. The Regulators and
Insomnia lost me altogether, but I must say that Bag of Bones and Riding
the Bullet are wooing me back into King's "court".
Darz

Bryan Ecker wrote:

> One fine day in the middle of the night b...@get2net.dk (Bianca) wrote:
>
> >Stephen King wrote "The Regulators"_ Richard Bachman was his pen
> >name..<øh.....did I hear the word joke!!?? Well, then everything is
> >ok.........>
>

> Heh, heh, heh.

> >IMHO some of King's best books are:
> >"The Green Mile", "Gerald's Game", "Bag of Bones", "IT", "Rose
> >Madder", and of couse "Misery" which is a brilliant book/movie.
>

> I agree with most of those except Gerald's Game and Rose Madder.
> Gerald's Game just bored me to tears. It was way too slow paced
> a book for me. And I just didn't get Rose Madder. It started off
> like it had potential, and just went nowhere. It seemed that it
> was just weird for weirdness's sake. All in my most humble opinion,
> of course.
>
> I just finished Bag of Bones a couple of weeks ago. That was a
> good read. Misery is still in the upper 10% of all the books I've
> read. And it's also one of the best book to movie translations
> I've ever seen. Maybe The Best.
>

> >BTW, I love "Strangers". It's my number one along with "Watchers". I would
> >love to re-read it, to see if it's really as good as I remember.
>

> I don't think you're going to get much argument about those two here.
> I have to go with Dragon's Tears and The Bad Place. (Although they
> interchange with one or two others depending on my mood!)

Darlene

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
Bryan, I'll admit - I liked Tommyknockers, too. There, I've said it.
Darz
Come See my family and my quilts at:

Bryan Ecker wrote:

> One fine day in the middle of the night fort_...@yahoo.com (Christopher
> Snow) wrote:
>
> >Christine and Tommy Knockers.
>
> You poor guy. No wonder.
>
> I'll have to admit right here and now that Tommyknockers was one of
> my favorite books by him. But you can throw me out as an abberation
> since Tommyknockers is almost universally considered to be his
> biggest piece of trash ever. I think even King himself disliked the
> story. I've only met one other person who admitted to liking it.
>
> And the movie was simply dreadful. Even I hated that one. The casting
> was well done and the acting was acceptable, but the translation into
> movie form just ruined everything that I liked about the book. No
> Anne Anderson? I thought she was priceless. And the ending was so
> dissimilar to the book ending that I had to check and make sure I was
> watching the right movie.
>
> I'm not sure what the consensus is on Christine, but I thought it
> was tripe.
>
> I think that someone already suggested The Green Mile as a good place
> to re-start, and I'll second that emotion. The Stand is also good, but
> I'd recommend the Cut and Abridged version for the uninitiated. I
> happen to love 5cm thick books that drag things out, but you may not.

Josh<viper8787>

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
What newsgroup are we in? Definetly not King's. Koontz and King have
such different writing. If you like one, how can you like the other?
There so different.
Josh
In article <y2VF4.7111$Bs5....@news.rdc1.va.home.com>,

Jadis

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
I must agree. I definitely prefer Koontz over King, however, both Green Mile
and Bag of Bones are on my list of all time favorite books. Definitely
excellence.

jadis

Luigi <nospamg...@tiscalinet.it> wrote in message
| I'm not with you on this, Snow. I'm almost sure you won't, but you should
| try The Green Mile or Bag of Bones before you say King doesn't write well.
| found these two, for instance, to be supremely written, pal. As I see it,
| these two are far better than a couple of Koontzies which were not
| as...great as the others. :-)
| ~Luigi the Heretic~
| http://web.tiscalinet.it/luigiurato

| Christopher Snow <fort_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

| 38e4b...@203.29.167.224...

Lelia Taylor

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
Are you serious? Just because I like one doesn't mean I can't like another.
That would be like saying I can't like more than one mystery writer. And I
know very well what ng we're in---I'm not the one who started all this talk
about SK's books : )

--

> What newsgroup are we in? Definetly not King's. Koontz and King have
> such different writing. If you like one, how can you like the other?
> There so different.
> Josh
> In article <y2VF4.7111$Bs5....@news.rdc1.va.home.com>,
> "Lelia Taylor" <catlove...@home.com> wrote:
> > Now, now---there are some SK fans in here, too. Don't go trampling on
> our
> > feelings, please : )
> >

> > --
> > Lelia
> >

> > People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those
> of us
> > who do.
> > (Anonymous)
> > Josh <viper8787...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > > I agree, a lot people can do better than King. Actually the
> majority of
> > > people can.
> > > Josh
> > > In article <38e4b...@203.29.167.224>,

Bryan Ecker

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
One fine day in the middle of the night gdjjp...@pivot.net (Darlene)
wrote:

>Bryan, I'll admit - I liked Tommyknockers, too. There, I've said it.

Ah... another one of us. We're few and far between, you know.

I'll bet there are a lot of Tommyknocker fans out there in various
closets.

One of the reasons that I like it in comparison to some of his other
works is the ending. One of the things that I thought was well done
was the way he described what was happening around town, and how the
various repercussions of the "Event" (no spoilers here) interplayed
with each other. He was describing about five or six different scenes
all at once without making it seem contrived or forced. I thought it
was some pretty good writing.

Obviously, I'm in the minority. Glad to have one more on my side
though.

Bryan Ecker

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
Snow) wrote:

>My friend recommanded IT, what do you think?

IT isn't bad. I really liked the penultimate part of the book. Even
better than the climax of the story. Plus it's really intense in
some scenes, which is something that I always like to read. There
are a few parts that I could have done without, but all in all, its
a great read.

Also, Misery and The Green Mile are good places to start.

Lisa W

Adam

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
Have you read Night Chills, lol? I think that is a good example of Dean's
morals, lol! ;)

--
Adam

"I am sounding out the silence, avoiding all the words,
I'm afraid I've said too much, I'm afraid of who has heard me."
- Ani Difranco

Josh wrote in message <8cbc41$927$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...
>Sorry, it's just I personally don't like his style, he tries way too
>hard to be evil, that you wouldn't be suprised he was santanic. From
>the books I read of him, it doesn't sound like he has any morals, like
>Dean does.
>Josh
>In article <Gz5G4.7277$Bs5....@news.rdc1.va.home.com>,

Lisa W

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
Hi Josh. I agree that they are very different. But I love them both.
I have 2 tiers of one of my bookshelves filled with nothing but DK and
SK, and paperbacks of both stuffed everywhere. I wouldn't want them to
write alike, what would be the point in that?

Lisa : )

ldlac

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
Morals? He's relating a story, fiction. Personally I like them both. I
also like Straub, Barker, Irving, Dunne, Mitchell, you see where I'm going?
I'm not judging an author's morals, I'm enjoying the work they share.
:)
Linda

Josh wrote in message <8cbc41$927$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...
>Sorry, it's just I personally don't like his style, he tries way too
>hard to be evil, that you wouldn't be suprised he was santanic. From
>the books I read of him, it doesn't sound like he has any morals, like
>Dean does.
>Josh
>In article <Gz5G4.7277$Bs5....@news.rdc1.va.home.com>,

>"Lelia Taylor" <catlove...@home.com> wrote:
>> Are you serious? Just because I like one doesn't mean I can't like
>another.
>> That would be like saying I can't like more than one mystery writer.
>And I
>> know very well what ng we're in---I'm not the one who started all
>this talk
>> about SK's books : )

>> --
>> Lelia
>>
>> People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those
>of us
>> who do.
>> (Anonymous)

ldlac