THE BATTLE OF FANFICTIONS BEGINS

Andrea

Apr 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/9/00
Anne Rice has posted a message in her site, where she says she doesn't allow
fanfictions and she shows not very much respect for her fans who don't have
commercial purposes in their creations.
Mrs.Rice will probably ask many fan sites to close their activity and I
think's this is no good and goes against the freedom of expression and has
no connection with copyright problems.
Honestly speaking...how many of us made money with her characters? NObidy, I
think...so I believe you got the point. This general attack of Mrs. Rice
against specs is useless, she has to concentrate only on copyright
infringers.
And...well...specs have always existed...just think to the Sherlock Holmes
character almost 100 years ago...

Please, let Mrs. Rice hear your voice.

Andrea

DarkAngel

Apr 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/9/00
Anne must realize that fan fiction authors make no money from their works.

She says she is very hurt that HER characters are being used.

Sorry Anne, we're just following your example.

Let's get obvious.

Anne stole Sleeping Beauty, plot, characters and all. Then she took it in a
direction that the original author/s never intended.

Just because Sleeping Beauty is a fairy tale, with no one discernable author,
doesn't make it Anne's.

It was a WELL-KNOWN story when it was ORIGINALLY COLLECTED by the Brothers
GRIMM. From then on it was known as GRIMM'S FAIRY TALE SLEEPING BEAUTY.

Then Anne stole it.

Beauty, the Prince, the King and Queen.

She put them in an EXTREMELY Non-Canonical situation, and them added scores of
her own original characters, in the process COMPLETELY DESTROYING the original
work.

She did it to the Brothers Grimm and to hundreds, if not thousands of unknown
bards, storytellers and troubadors who had come before.

But we can't do it to her??

Can we say HYPOCRITE?

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

If Anne wants to go after someone, she sould go after Warner Brothers for the
DESTRUCTION of Queen of the Damned, in the DAMNED movie, which they WILL make
money off of.

RubyEuropa

Apr 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/9/00
>Anne Rice has posted a message in her site, where she says she doesn't allow
>fanfictions and she shows not very much respect for her fans who don't have
>commercial purposes in their creations.
>Mrs.Rice will probably ask many fan sites to close their activity and I
>think's this is no good and goes against the freedom of expression and has
>no connection with copyright problems

So she's going after her fans again? I hope fan fic writers don't back down.
What legal ground does she have to stand on anyway (aside from hoping legal
tactics will scare people)? I'm curious. And if any of these fan fics are
satirical pieces, there is *nothing* she can do about that.

If people are truly upset about it, the best way to respond is with their
wallets... simply stop buying her books.

Or simply take the fanfics underground (no pun intended <g>).

This reminds me of when Fox Network went after X-Files websites :(

Ruby

Eloa

Apr 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/9/00
I'm totally surprised. What's going on? How can she not allow fanfictions?!
Wouldn't she be the only author to do that in literature's history? It's
like she didn't allow writing essays on her work. How about I write an essay
about, say, TVL, and I'll include a sentence in which I'll express my
opinion, that I don't like the idea of Gabrielle being changed into a
vampire, and add that if I were to write this book, Gabrielle would die and
Lestat would travel the world with Nicki. Does she allow something like
this? :-/ Cause fanfiction is basically only a more expanded version of
something like that.
I think there's a possibility that Anne doesn't really understand the idea
of fanfiction. She often mentioned that she doesn't have to read them.
Probably she never did. Maybe someone tried to explain her what fanfiction
is, and that person got that wrong. Maybe it's not obvious to everybody that
the existance of fanfiction is a compliment to the author. That fanfiction
writers don't steal ideas, they are just fascinated by someone else's
writing so much that it makes them write all those "whatifs". I guess most
of fanfiction files have the copyright information added. Even if not, um,
well, it's an obvious thing that we don't pretend the characters are ours!
The idea is exactly opposite! But why am I writing this?1 Everybody knopws
that. Guess Anne doesn't.
I suggest we use the Merrick commentary box to make her know our opinion.
Anyway, even if she eventually doesn't allow fanfiction, I am not going to
obey this. I have great respect for Anne as a writer, but that doesn't mean
she can tell me what to do. We do have rights too!

Anyway, one thing came to my mind whoch could explain that. I'm not sure I
hadn't dreamed it up, but AFAIR some year ago some 15 years old girl wrote a
book, the action of which takes place in Anne's world, I dunno, maybe she
also used her characters. All that somehow slipped off my mind, but I
remember that reading the post about it back then, I was surprised that Anne
allows such a thing. I would be outraged if someone stole my ideas and made
money and credit as a writer on them. Maybe this is what made Anne wrtie
that. If it's so, I would be mad if I were her too. In this case someone
should tell Anne the difference between fanfiction and copyright
infringement such as I recalled.

Eloa
ash...@free.com.pl

Andrea wrote: <8cptgp$qsl$1...@lacerta.tiscalinet.it>...

>Anne Rice has posted a message in her site, where she says she doesn't
allow
>fanfictions and she shows not very much respect for her fans who don't have
>commercial purposes in their creations.
>Mrs.Rice will probably ask many fan sites to close their activity and I
>think's this is no good and goes against the freedom of expression and has

f-fa...@spammailcity.com

Apr 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/9/00
Sorry but there's a difference.

One is public domain (S.B.).

The vamps, Mayfairs etc. are copy-righted to Anne Rice.

On Sun, 09 Apr 2000 09:13:27 -0400, DarkAngel <RueR...@Yahoo.com>

RubyEuropa

Apr 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/9/00
>Sorry but there's a difference.
>
>One is public domain (S.B.).
>
>The vamps, Mayfairs etc. are copy-righted to Anne Rice.

Perhaps what DarkAngl was trying to get across was that her actions seem
hypocritical. Rice complains about people using her characters, but has no
problems writing her own stories based on other's characters (a la Sleeping
Beauty).

Ruby

DarkAngel

Apr 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/9/00

f-fa...@SPAMmailcity.com wrote:

> Sorry but there's a difference.
>
> One is public domain (S.B.).
>
> The vamps, Mayfairs etc. are copy-righted to Anne Rice.

That is a legal difference, not a moral one.

The difference in that is that Anne did not include a disclaimer aknowledging that
the characters she was using in the Beauty books actually belong to someone else.

Fan fiction authors do include a disclaimer aknowledging that the characters are
Anne's.

There is another difference too.

Anne made money off of the Beauty books.

Fan fictions authors do not make money off of their works.

Would it be morally okay now if fan fiction authors only wrote fan fiction with the
Beauty characters?

No, Anne could now claim them for her own, with no aknowledgement to the real
originators of them.

Anne put Cleopatra in The Mummy, does she own Cleopatra now too?

What is legal is not necessarily moral, or logical.

Eloa

Apr 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/9/00
>Would it be morally okay now if fan fiction authors only wrote fan fiction
with the
>Beauty characters?
>
>No, Anne could now claim them for her own, with no aknowledgement to the
real
>originators of them.

Maybe Anne should blame Coppola for making a famous vampire movie AFTER she
wrote IWTV? Hey, guys, maybe she doesn't allow people to write vampire specs
at all? Gee-whiz... I'm gonna write Ms Anne now and ask her if I should
delete all the stories I've written from my hard drive. I'm sorry, I really
didn't know I'm breaking the law.
Oh no. How about she owns the copyright to New Orleans too?
And Venice?... How about Paris?... Surely the Garden District... Anybody
knows if Anne allows writing specs on Beethoven? He appeared in Violin and
now I'm afraid it's forbidden as well.
Come to that, does she allow writing about violins?
Or using the name "Anne" in fanfiction?
Or how about if I wrote a God fanfic? He's also one of her characters! :-(
Could somebody give me the link to "The 10 Commandments, Revised, by A.
Rice"? I'm sure it's already posted somewhere on her site.
.
.
And now... Dear Ms Rice, take heed of my words: do not, I repeat, DO NOT
write about trees anymore. It upset me a lot when you used trees in QoD.
When i was 7, I wrote a three-sentence story which included trees, and they
are copyrighted. That was *before* QoD was published. I do not allow writing
about trees.

Now, do 100 push-ups, shave your head, and write "ELOA IS COOL" on the top
of it with a black marker.
It is absolutely essential that you respect my wishes.
.
.
I think it's very kind of Anne to do something to make us laugh at such a
time, when every1 is mad about the upcoming QoD movie. Thank you Anne, that
was a wonderful Apirl Fool's Day joke. Keep up the good work.

Eloa
ash...@free.com.pl

Creek

Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00
"Eloa" <ash...@free.com.pl> wrote:

>Anyway, one thing came to my mind whoch could explain that. I'm not sure I
>hadn't dreamed it up, but AFAIR some year ago some 15 years old girl wrote a
>book, the action of which takes place in Anne's world, I dunno, maybe she
>also used her characters.

I do remember something about a very young girl writing a vampire book
that was supposed to be exceptional and move along the lines of Anne's
cosmology, but I don't believe it is a blatant rip-off. The girl has
a book deal with a publisher so I don't think her publisher would
allow something like that and set itself up for a lawsuit..
I can't remember her name except for the fact that her last name is
hyphenated, but if the book isn't out yet, it will be soon. Damn..I
wish I could remember her name.
Creek

Creek

Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00
"Eloa" <ash...@free.com.pl> wrote:

Way to go, Eloa..yes you are very cool!!!! God how I love cutting
wit. This is the first time I've heard of this situation. I guess
this is what I get for missing a few days of this wonderful
newsgroup...but oh shit....now I have to worry about the fanfic police
coming to delete my hard-drive.
Personally, I just don't get it. Every spec I've ever read..and ones
I've written ALWAYS contain a disclaimer...very proudly at that. I
would think that if Anne read this disclaimers she would realize that
her fans are not trying to take advantage of her, not trying to make
money off her hard work, and in general are very honest people...we
are acknowledging openly that Anne is the owner of the characters what
more could she want.
If I were Anne I would feel honored that my characters are so well
loved and appreciated that my fans take the time and effort to come up
with things for them to do; that even if I'm not working with
them...there are fans out there who are still enjoying them and
entertaining others with them.
Jeez, I wish she'd lightening up...it's not like what we are doing is
going to infringe on the millions she making. Maybe she just like
adversity in her life...
Creek

darkgrrl

Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00
<delurk>

"Eloa" <ash...@free.com.pl> wrote in message

> I'm totally surprised. What's going on? How can she not allow
fanfictions?!
> Wouldn't she be the only author to do that in literature's history? It's

according to the mercedes lackey (sf/fantasy) ng she doesn't allow it
either - something about feeling violated when her characters are used by
other people. apparently her fans go along with this idea. all i can say
is that i'm bloody glad VC fans *don't*! there's so much magnificent fanfic
out there, which i think *honours* her characters and gives so much pleasure
to so many people :)

darkgrrl

Chrysanthemum

Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00
>I do remember something about a very young girl writing a vampire book
>that was supposed to be exceptional and move along the lines of Anne's
>cosmology,

>I can't remember her name except for the fact that her last name is

>hyphenated, but if the book isn't out yet, it will be soon. Damn..I
>wish I could remember her name.

May I make a wild guess? Amelia Atwater-Rhodes.
I know she has a vamp book out that she wrote when she was quite young, but I
don't think it works with Anne's cosmology. Then again, I haven't read it so I
wouldn't know.

~Chrysanthemum~

"And chrysanthemums stood in the silver vase on the square grand - flowers
which, to Claudia, meant death." -LdPdL
"She was holding her bouquet of yellow and white chrysanthemums. I shall never
forget that fragrance." -LdL

Lisa K

Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00
Phew! All this controversy. I think it's really unfair of Anne to basically
say that she doesn't respect fans who write fan fiction. God, I mean she
should respect them most of all because they are not only helping her make a
living but they love her characters so much that they want to extend her own
stories. And if they include disclaimers and are not for profit just who are
they hurting? I would like to know if she has read any of the work written
by her fans because I think even with her negative view of their fiction she
would be impressed with the research and attention to detail that has gone
into some SPECs. For example Lisa's SPEC Immortal Beloved fitted right in
with the VC myth that has been so carefully created by AR and may I say
*maintained* by writers of fan fiction. Thank you. <sits down from the
lectern>.
Lisa K

Karen A. Van Hoek

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
I wish Anne would write more about _why_ she dislikes fan fiction; I'm
very curious. I can think of a few possible reasons, but I'd really like
to know what it is. One reasonable guess is that these characters are,
after all, parts of her psyche -- subpersonalities of hers, in a sense.
The books are, so to speak, a way that she reveals parts of her own mind
to the public. I can imagine that it would be upsetting if other people
seem to be making these personalities do things that didn't actually
originate from her mind. In theory, an author in that situation could
just tune it out, pretend it doesn't exist, to avoid being jarred by it (I
can imagine it would be pretty jarring).

But then let's take it a step further. It's true that no one is making
money off the fan-fic -- if anything, they're helping to boost enthusiasm
among the Anne Rice fans, and so indirectly helping her to make money.
But I can imagine that it might feel to her as if these other people are
crowding the space in which Lestat and the others exist, obscuring and
distorting their images, in a way. You could think of it this way: The
attention that fans focus on these characters is the "space" within which
they "perform" -- that's their stage. By writing fan fiction, other
people are laying claim to that space, putting other interpretations of
the characters onto the stage, and so in a sense "jamming" the
"transmission" that Anne is putting out there.

I'm not saying this is the only right way to look at it. I'm just trying
to feel my way into why an author might be so upset about it, since Anne
hasn't really spelled out what the beef is. From my own point of view as
a fan, there's a clear distinction between the "real Lestat", the one
written by Anne Rice, and the "what-if Lestats" in the fan fiction I've
read. Fan-fic isn't canon, in short. But for a lot of people the
distinction may not be so clear. Whether it is or isn't, I can imagine
that an author who is trying to present a unified body of literature to
the world might get upset if she feels that the vision is being clouded by
competitors who are also attracting readers' attention and inserting their
own versions of the characters into our conception of the fictional world.

On a completely different tack, I don't know that Anne _can_ do anything
about it legally -- it's been going on for enough years. The "try to
ignore it" tack might be the best one for her own peace of mind. But if
she wants the fans to voluntarily change their behavior, it would help if
she would make clearer why this topic upsets her. Anyway, what I've
written is my best guess as to why a person _would_ get upset. I'd be
very curious to hear what other people think about this, since it doesn't
look like we're going to get a complete statement of how Anne Rice is
thinking about it.

Karen van Hoek

Creek

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
cowg...@aol.com (Chrysanthemum) wrote:

>>I do remember something about a very young girl writing a vampire book
>>that was supposed to be exceptional and move along the lines of Anne's
>>cosmology,
>
>>I can't remember her name except for the fact that her last name is
>>hyphenated, but if the book isn't out yet, it will be soon. Damn..I
>>wish I could remember her name.
>
>May I make a wild guess? Amelia Atwater-Rhodes.
>I know she has a vamp book out that she wrote when she was quite young, but I
>don't think it works with Anne's cosmology. Then again, I haven't read it so I
>wouldn't know.
>
>~Chrysanthemum~

That's her. Thanks much for the name. One of these days, I'll get
around to reading this kid's work. I was off a bit when I said her
books follows Anne cosmology, certainly, it wouldn't without some
serious legal problems. I think I should have stated that People said
it has the same "feel" as Rice's books, ie: vampires as thinking,
feeling, emotional creatures, not the Dracula "monster" type of thing.
Creek

Chrysanthemum

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
>That's her. Thanks much for the name.

No prob.

>One of these days, I'll get
>around to reading this kid's work.

Kate says it's good. I'm planning on reading it sometime soon, but it's always
out of the town library. :(
I think she's got a sequel to the book coming out soon, too.

Maxi

Apr 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/14/00
> Mrs.Rice will probably ask many fan sites to close their activity and I
> think's this is no good and goes against the freedom of expression and has
> no connection with copyright problems.
>This general attack of Mrs. Rice
> against specs is useless, she has to concentrate only on copyright
> infringers.
> And...well...specs have always existed...just think to the Sherlock Holmes
> character almost 100 years ago...

This information is retrived from
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
6)"If I make up my own stories, but base them on another work, my new work
belongs to me."

False. Copyright law is quite explicit that the making of what are called
"derivative works" -- works based or derived from another copyrighted
work -- is the exclusive province of the owner of the original work. This is
true even though the making of these new works is a highly creative process.
If you write a story using settings or characters from somebody else's work,
you need that author's permission.
Yes, that means almost all "fan fiction" is a copyright violation. If you
want to write a story about Jim Kirk and Mr. Spock, you need Paramount's
permission, plain and simple. Now, as it turns out, many, but not all
holders of popular copyrights turn a blind eye to "fan fiction" or even
subtly encourage it because it helps them. Make no mistake, however, that it
is entirely up to them whether to do that.

There is one major exception -- parody. The fair use provision says that if
you want to make fun of something like Star Trek, you don't need their
permission to include Mr. Spock. This is not a loophole; you can't just take
a non-parody and claim it is one on a technicality. The way "fair use" works
is you get sued for copyright infringement, and you admit you did infringe,
but that your infringement was a fair use. A subjective judgment is then
made.

Andrea

Apr 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/14/00
Dearest,
of course, all you said here is, in strictly legal terms,
absolutely right!! Fan fiction is a copyright violation.

But it's not that the point of what we were trying to say to Msr. Rice.
The question is: from how many specwriters comes the REAL THEFT, in terms of
"AR loosing her money"? 10% I guess...or less...got the point?
When I said that she had to concentrate on people who used her characters
for making money, I intended to ask her to "close an eye" on people who used
her work just as a creative base, without making money. This seems perfectly
reasonalble for me, even because law was never able to really stop
fanfictions...the same as law could never stop young garage bands to play
concerts with copyrighted songs...
If Mrs. Rice stricly forbids the use of her works, instead of act legally
only against the money makers, she will only feed the underground circuit.

"Make no mistake, however, that it is entirely up to them whether to do

that.", this is what you say. Right. this is the thruth, plain and simple.
But I think it's not kind from her not to allow fanfiction...and this I mean
in the sense of love and respect for her fans.

That's all I wanted to say

Love,
Andrea.

Maxi <r.g...@home.com> wrote in message
fWHJ4.4753$fF5.2...@news1.rdc1.il.home.com...

Maxi

Apr 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/14/00
Hi Andrea
I just wanted to say that IMHO - I do not believe Mrs. Rice is being mean -
and I really doubt it has to do with the money. In no way actually, can I
believe it has to do with money. Reason - ONE: she has lots, TWO: if the
people making fanfic were that much of a (for lack of a better word)
'danger' to her profits, there would be more then a simple 'I do not like
fanfic' opinion on her page - she would (or her lawyers would) take steps to
begin the civil lawsuit (that is all that copyright violation equates to - a
civil suit, meaning being sued - no jail time). I think it is on a much
more personal level. These characters haunted and stayed with her for years
(as she has said that Lestat was with her for years). What she writes is
'her' mind, her complete invention. I see it like this. If I wrote a
diary, and sold it,, it became very popular, and then I found out people
were 'making up stories' or 'continuing the story' about me as a
'tribute'!?!? no, I would be offended and hurt that someone would take my
life and play with it as if it were theirs to play with.
This is all I am trying to say. Personally, I don't care one way or another
about the fanfic. I write my own stories with my own characters - I do not
look in other books for my creative idea's.

Take care
Rhonda

"Andrea" <arn...@tiscalinet.it> wrote in message

Andrea

Apr 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/15/00
Dearest,
I read you last post and I find that your opinion may be perfectly
reasonable too. I usually write my own stories with my own characters too,
and, very occasionally and for pure fun, fan fictions (two in a couple of
years...).
The only thing I can't believe is that Mrs. Rice feels really hurt by
fanfictions..I still believe it's a matter of money. Let me explain my
reasons:
ONE: as far as I know, somebody really received phone calls by her lawyers.
But I won't go further into this thing because I don't know enough of it...
TWO: It sounds strange to me to hear of this sudden "wake" of AR against
fanfiction after five or more years that they are diffused worldwide. If she
was so sensible on this problem, she could have stopped specs long before.
THREE: Maybe, I'm evil or cynical when I say this, but I don't believe in
this Lestat&co. being part of her soul etc.". 20 years ago maybe, 10 years
ago...who knows? But today...you don't make such a low level commerce of
your characters (examples: ToTBT in comic form, written and drawn by her
"friends" just to put something on sale, the continuosus contraddictions and
errors in her lates books such as Armand and Vittorio -this last one full of
historical errors...say one: the council of Trento in 1439!!! I'll say 1542
maybe...:)) if you care so much about that. And you don't write a lot of
books which all resemble one another.
That's just my opinion of course, and maybe thruth, as we say in Italy,
stays in the middle. Maybe the thruth is a mix of both our opinions. Or
maybe not.
But I enjoyed the discussion with you.

Love,
Andrea.

Maxi <r.g...@home.com> wrote in message

EEJJ4.4928$fF5.2...@news1.rdc1.il.home.com...

Darrm

Apr 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/15/00
Can someone please enlighten me on the extent of this fanfiction? Is it just
stories on the internet posted on NG's or websites? Or is it being sold in
bookstores and such?

Also, is there a website that has Anne's statement about fanfiction?

Thanks!

Darryl :-)

Maxi

Apr 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/15/00
I don't know all the places on the net you can find fanfic - I know you can
read them here and on some amiling lists - and those who write alot of it,
have it on their web pages. As far as I know no one who is writting fanfic
that is in this news group is selling thier stories - it is just for fun.
Anne has left a comment on her web site http://annerice.com

"Darrm" <da...@aol.com> wrote in message

Ziggy Blum

Apr 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/15/00
In article <8d9gnd$rem$1...@pegasus.tiscalinet.it>, "Andrea"
<arn...@tiscalinet.it> wrote:

> The only thing I can't believe is that Mrs. Rice feels really hurt by
> fanfictions..I still believe it's a matter of money.

Or, quite possibly, power for power's sake. I've seen examples of this
motive in her behavior more than once over the last five years or so, and,
combined with the rapidly declining quality of her writing, it has lost
her the respect of this once-devoted fan.

Unless she's genuinely worried that people are mysteriously making money
off of fanfaction, or concerned about her characters losing their
protected status through use (I have no idea if this is possible for
fictional characters; I know that the use of copyrighted brand names can
lead to loss of copyright--the word "nylon" is an example) the only thing
I can see happening is Mrs. Rice saying, "There's a practice here that I
don't like and I'm going to throw my weight around in order to stop it."

Quite a few authors (and musicians taking a stance on the distribution of
MP3's of their work) have been known to protect themselves by officially
saying, "I do not condone this behavior and it is a violation of my
rights," but actually threatening legal action--and people receiving phone
calls from lawyers--is another step in bullying.

Don't fault her for not liking specs, and I know some people have, with
shocking cheek, sent her their specs for approval. But it does seem to me
that she's missing the point that the people writing specs aren't *trying*
to "steal" anything from her, either money or laurels--they're just fans
who love her stories. It's not a very nice thing to do to ardent fans,
IMO, when, as has been pointed out here, she can pretty easily avoid
exposure to specs. I submit that she's mighty out of touch in more ways
than one and listening primarily to sycophants and brownnosers.

> I don't believe in
> this Lestat&co. being part of her soul etc.". 20 years ago maybe, 10 years
> ago...who knows?

Hear, hear. She has certainly rendered these characters into caricatures
of their former selves--to me they all seem to be inconvincing vessels for
ego these days.

> And you don't write a lot of
> books which all resemble one another.

And maybe you shouldn't brag about each new novel being written in five
weeks, when it's painfully obvious that it was. . .

I repeat that I'm speaking as a decided ex-fan. If I can ever manage to
read them again without all the baggage of future developments, I will
still defend IWTV and TVL as great books, and CtH and QotD as excellent
reads. However, I would say that if Anne can still write, I haven't seen
any evidence of it in the last three or four years, and her acting like a
bully and a fool (in a number of other situations besides the present one)
isn't improving my opinion in any way.

I bought MtD, and I bought Armand. Unless some sort of miracle occurs,
I'm never going to give Anne another cent of my hard-earned money.

zg

Maxi

Apr 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/15/00

ADenis

Apr 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/15/00
On Fri, 14 Apr 2000 16:44:59 GMT, "Maxi"
<r.g...@home.com> wrote:

snipped

>There is one major exception -- parody. The fair use provision says that if
>you want to make fun of something like Star Trek, you don't need their
>permission to include Mr. Spock. This is not a loophole; you can't just take
>a non-parody and claim it is one on a technicality. The way "fair use" works
>is you get sued for copyright infringement, and you admit you did infringe,
>but that your infringement was a fair use. A subjective judgment is then
>made.

It is ironic that the enthusiastic, sincere fans
that try their best to emulate their hero authors
(even without the hope of any monetary gain) are
the ones being picked on. Yet, the law seems to
protect anyone who writes a deliberate parody. It
seems to me that a professional parody writer
would be the one that would stand to make the
greatest profit from using existing literary
characters.

Would something like Mel Brook's Young
Frankenstein fall into this catagory?

Andre

Lestat1542

Apr 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/15/00
i'll be happy to help you with that.

fanfiction is not sold in stores. a publisher is not going to incure the
wrath of pinheaded lawyers. fanfiction is writen by fans for themselves
and others to share. although not all of it is great, some of it
is incredibly good, such as "The Empath" that I've seen posted here a
couple of times. fanfiction is free, if it is posted on the web at all
and only builds interest in the authors whose work they write about. i
heard about anne's writing from a friend, but when i saw how many stories
were being written based on her books, some good, some bad, i bought and
read IWTV. in my case and i'm sure others, fanfiction helped sell her
books!

for Anne's official statement on fanfiction go to www.annerice.com and
simply scroll down.

Lestat1542

In article <20000415111451...@ng-cs1.aol.com>, da...@aol.com
says...

ArmandBaby

Apr 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/16/00
>By writing fan fiction, other
>people are laying claim to that space, putting other interpretations of
>the characters onto the stage, and so in a sense "jamming" the
>"transmission" that Anne is putting out there.

Where this may be true--in Anne's mind, at any rate--I find myself liking the
fanfic versions of the characters much better than Anne's later interpretations
of them. Most of the fanfic I've read seems to rely more heavily on the
characters we all knew and loved from the first books. I tend to wonder if this
isn't Anne's worry--"what if they like Lestat better when someone else writes
him?"
Well, yeah, actually...I *do* like him better :)

Dana
Let me take a ride on your loveline
And create some lovely destruction
--buckcherry

Lisa K

Apr 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/17/00
I don't believe in
>> this Lestat&co. being part of her soul etc.". 20 years ago maybe, 10
years
>> ago...who knows?
>
>Hear, hear. She has certainly rendered these characters into caricatures
>of their former selves--to me they all seem to be inconvincing vessels for
>ego these days.

oh, as much as i adore anne rice's work and her characters, and i really
do - the lestat dolly was a bit too much.
Lisa K
*wonders if anyone of the 'old-timers' recall our merchandising ideas*

Ziggy Blum

Apr 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/17/00
In article <8df3h4$g2s$1...@barcode.tesco.net>, "Lisa K"
<ser...@angelfire.com> wrote:

> *wonders if anyone of the 'old-timers' recall our merchandising ideas*

Little Lestat's Fang Bangers Breakfast Cereal, anyone? <g>

zg

ArmandBaby

Apr 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/17/00
>"Lisa K"
><ser...@angelfire.com> wrote:
>
>> *wonders if anyone of the 'old-timers' recall our merchandising ideas*
>
>Little Lestat's Fang Bangers Breakfast Cereal, anyone? <g>
>
>zg

ROFL!! Oh my GOD!! How could I have forgotten??? I must have blocked it along
with the bad memories of Memnoch...

Charmed One

Apr 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/29/00
Lisa K wrote:
> oh, as much as i adore anne rice's work and her characters, and i really
> do - the lestat dolly was a bit too much.
> Lisa K
> *wonders if anyone of the 'old-timers' recall our merchandising ideas*

Eeeekkk!!!! Lol! How could I forget that dang doll!! Oh and I do remember
someone wanting a Tickle Me Marius a fews years back!! Lol!!!

Crystal : )

--
~"The only power that exists is inside ourselves...."~Armand
http://community-1.webtv.net/cmd77/MYHOUSE/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Jennifer Christine

Apr 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/29/00
"Charmed One" <charm...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> Lisa K wrote:
> > oh, as much as i adore anne rice's work and her characters, and i really
> > do - the lestat dolly was a bit too much.
> > Lisa K
> > *wonders if anyone of the 'old-timers' recall our merchandising ideas*
>

> Eeeekkk!!!! Lol! How could I forget that dang doll!! Oh and I do
remember
> someone wanting a Tickle Me Marius a fews years back!! Lol!!!
>
> Crystal : )

Hey, I'd buy a "tickle-me" Marius
*wicked grin*
Where's Lisa? She'd definitely buy one too!

~ Jennifer~

Stephanie

Apr 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/29/00
Lisa K and Crystal brought up Merchandizing, and I *just* happened upon
this old little post from back in 1996. If your wondering about my .sig,
that goes back to Vampaign '96 <g>

Re: Commercialism (was: Re: No Texas SOTB signings either...)
Author: Stephanie <s016...@cc.ysu.edu>
Date: 1996/09/12
Forum: alt.books.anne-rice

more headers author posting history
Post Reply Prev Next

On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, Michel Pontmercy wrote:

> For those of you who have heard about Anne's plans to create a
> wine label,

Stat! - When you want to get drunk hard and *fast*

> perfume and cologne line

Stat! - For that urgent need to get laid.

> and a restaurant under Lestat's name

Stat! - The fast food joint.

Stat! - The quick and easy way to make money when you've lost all your
talent and have laurels to rest on.

> how many of you consider this a good thing? I admit the plans for the
> restaurant sounded interesting no matter what she chose to name it, but
> I can't help but feel.. I'm not sure what the word is...

violated, by yet another scheme that makes you reconsider, long and hard,
your current take on communism.

> at the news that she is going
> to take her characters and make money off of them in this way.

And what other way would she make money off of them? They don't seem to
talk to her any more, and she's got to pay for buying up NO antiquity
*somehow*. I mean, where would her friends and family stay when
visiting? Her own home?

> Of course they are her characters and she can do what she wishes, but
> since the point of this is to please the fans (good intentions or no, it
> is the fans who will pay for these things and obviously fans will only
> pay for the things they like) I must say that as a fan it does not do a
> thing for me, and even makes me feel her opinion of me must be very low
> indeed. When I read her books, I do so because of her skill as an author
> and because she is able to create characters with depth and meaning. I
> do not read them because part of me is saying "Oo, neat! Vampires!"

Squeeze them and they pee *real* blood! <Oh wait, I was being more
vulgar then intended here... sorry>

> I have to say that for me, suggesting that I would jump at the chance to
> buy "Eau de Lestat" is almost insulting.

I would *never* go to Ireland with a guy that wore that! I'm glad we see
eye-to-eye on that Michel.

> It's rather like those who
> suggest that the only people who hate Memnoch are those who just wish to
> read superficial novels with no inner meaning. Perhaps this gross
> commercialism works in a following like Star Trek where part of the
> connection the fans share is based on gathering at conventions and
> buying the latest advancements in the product line (which makes for good
> investments in the long run) but I can't see Anne Rice fans in the same
> way.

I dunno... If the VChron action figures were the same size as the Star
Trek ones, just *think* of the hours of fun one could have mixing and
matchng!

Will "Number One" Riker getting mauled to death in the Theatre des
Vampires, or Lestat sitting in the captains chair shouting "Engage, mon
cher!" Armand having an intriging conversation with Garak on the
Prominade of DS9, and Spock, Data and David discussing the the logical
likelihood and neural physics involved in body switching.

> I can't imagine wanting to spend my money on any of this. Am I alone in
> that?

Aside from my Armand and Daniel twin set dashboard statuettes, you are
among friends in this boat, mon ami.

Come on now and hum a few bars with me!

o/~ When you walk through a storm keep your head held high/ and don't be
afraid of the dark... o/~

-Stephanie- Mrs. Brat Queen-Wicked One
(Armand and Daniel '96 - A desperate choice for desperate times)
--
"Anybody who is tired of chickens is tired of life."
"I never met a chicken I could not dominate."

---***---
Vampaign '96 Headquarters - http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/2594/
Villa of the Mysteries * Specs

-Stephanie-

"The Ten Commandments should be posted in all the courtrooms. And the US
Constitution should be glued on to Jesus' chest in every church in
America." -- The Onion

Charmed One

Apr 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/30/00

Stephanie wrote:
> Lisa K and Crystal brought up Merchandizing, and I *just* happened upon
> this old little post from back in 1996. If your wondering about my .sig,
> that goes back to Vampaign '96 <g>
>
> Re: Commercialism (was: Re: No Texas SOTB signings either...)

*Snip, snip*

Woooooo!!!! That was too funny!!! Lol!!! Thanks for sharing!!! LMAO!!!

Crystal who's missing the good 'ol days. :::sniff:::

Stephanie

Apr 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/30/00
On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Charmed One wrote:

> Woooooo!!!! That was too funny!!! Lol!!! Thanks for sharing!!! LMAO!!!

I just came across a bottle of Absolut Daniel, I can't believe I forgot
that... ;)

-Stephanie-

--
"Erwin Schrodinger--owner of a cat, though not necessarily a cat-lover."
--David Lindley _Why Quantum Mechanics is Strange_

April Mist

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00

>I just came across a bottle of Absolut Daniel, I can't believe I forgot
>that... ;)

Was that with or without the crunched up black currant candies mixed in it??
( You know, the stuff you and the 'Swedish Nightengale' were working on when I
met you?)
<G>

Aprilmist

"Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac who stays up all
night wondering if there really is a Dog..."