What did Anne Rice intend?

1 view

Matt Rindfleisch

Dec 13, 1994, 2:10:33 PM12/13/94
Hi all,

There is a long standing argument in my circle of friends
about The Vampire Chronicles which came out when we all
saw the movie. A lot of us believe that when Anne Rice
wrote IWTV she did it as a stand-alone project, i.e. a
book to stand on its own not a trilogy. Thus, if there
was any inconsistencies in the book it could be attributed
to that.
An example that came up was Armand. We noted Armand didn't
have red hair and that he wasn't seventeen (as all of you
saw). Then, I began to wonder, how many red-haired Italians
were there during the Renaissance? That's when my writer
friend piped up saying The Vampire Lestat and Queen of the
Damned were add-on novels.

So, here I am. I know that nearly all books can be sequelized.
But, did Anne Rice mean to do that at the start?

Thanks in advance for any opinions,

--
Matthew R. Rindfleisch
rind...@cadcam.pms.ford.com

"If I cry me a river of all my confessions,
would I drown in my shallow regret?"
- Sarah MacLachlan

learsy

Dec 13, 1994, 3:20:09 PM12/13/94
> rind...@cc1033.NoSubdomain.NoDomain (Matt Rindfleisch) writes:
> We noted Armand didn't
> have red hair and that he wasn't seventeen (as all of you
> saw). Then, I began to wonder, how many red-haired Italians
> were there during the Renaissance?

++ Just a note: I'm sure there were and are redheaded Italians, especially in
the north. Regardless, I don't think Armand was Italian. Wasn't he bought by
Marius and taken to Italy from somewhere else?

See ya.

Learsy

0016...@ysub.ysu.edu

Dec 13, 1994, 4:36:46 PM12/13/94
In article <3ckvlp$8...@sifon.cc.mcgill.ca>
Yes, Armand was born in Russia and Abducted by Tartars. He was then sold
in Venice to Marius.
-Stephanie-

Unknown

Dec 14, 1994, 7:06:25 AM12/14/94
In article <YOUNGSA.10...@AgResearch.cri.nz>,
YOU...@AgResearch.cri.nz (Flops) wrote:

> I always thought the style and tone of IWTV was very different to the other
> books, but again you can put that down to a different narrator - Louis as
> opposed to Lestat.

Or to the fact that the first book was written out of grief, and the other
ones out of
the success of the first one...

"Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime"

Flops

Dec 14, 1994, 9:20:34 AM12/14/94
In article <3ckrj9$h...@eccdb1.pms.ford.com> rind...@cc1033.NoSubdomain.NoDomain (Matt Rindfleisch) writes:
>Hi all,

>There is a long standing argument in my circle of friends
>about The Vampire Chronicles which came out when we all
>saw the movie. A lot of us believe that when Anne Rice
>wrote IWTV she did it as a stand-alone project, i.e. a
>book to stand on its own not a trilogy. Thus, if there
>was any inconsistencies in the book it could be attributed
>to that.
>An example that came up was Armand. We noted Armand didn't
>have red hair and that he wasn't seventeen (as all of you
>saw). Then, I began to wonder, how many red-haired Italians
>were there during the Renaissance? That's when my writer
>friend piped up saying The Vampire Lestat and Queen of the
>Damned were add-on novels.

I'm confused here - wasn't Armand actually a native of the Steppes who was
abducted and taken to Italy as a boy?? (In TVL) I never thought he was Italian.

>So, here I am. I know that nearly all books can be sequelized.
>But, did Anne Rice mean to do that at the start?

>Thanks in advance for any opinions,

Otherwise I have to agree. I think IWTV, as it was written way back in 1976
or so was intended to stand alone. I don't have any problem with the
"inconsistences" though. I think the idea of two individuals (Lestat and
Louis) having different versions of what happened in IWTV is a pretty neat way
of solving it and much more realistic. There's even a passage in TOTBT where
Lestat accuses Louis of making up scenes in his memoirs so it all slots
together quite well.

I always thought the style and tone of IWTV was very different to the other
books, but again you can put that down to a different narrator - Louis as
opposed to Lestat.

Sandra