utorrent query

Marmaduke Jinks

Jan 17, 2020, 7:11:06 AM1/17/20
Hello group. My utorrent 2.2.1 has been a good one for me. But I upgraded
to a newer version of TPB Browser the other day and now the magnet links
don't respond on pages like TPB or EZTV. Some say it could be my utorrent
version, which is an old one. What's a stable, good recent version to get?

Cheers

MJ

Marmaduke Jinks

Jan 17, 2020, 7:30:12 AM1/17/20
"Marmaduke Jinks" <Ji...@totoploy.com> wrote in message
I did work out that I could copy a link location and then paste it to my
utorrent client.

But what's a recommended utorrent version, that's stable?

MJ

MartinS

Jan 17, 2020, 4:09:44 PM1/17/20
Try the most recent one. It can depend on the server.
To suppress ads see: https://bitsnapper.com/disable-ads-from-utorrent/

Suggestion: try BiglyBT, an ad-free iteration of Azureus/Vuze.
There's a bit of a learning curve, but it gives you more info on what's
happening with your downloads.

Martin S

Gra...@grelberville.org

Jan 17, 2020, 4:41:52 PM1/17/20
In winders
Try downloading the torrent manually, then right click on that file,
Open With and chose your torrent program, and Always Use..
That should do it for you. If you change programs again, repeat this.

Moo
Grelber

~misfit~

Jan 17, 2020, 6:02:58 PM1/17/20
I agree, it's possibly a broken Windows file association issue during upgrade rather than a
uTorrent setting. Google "change file association in x" (where 'x' is your OS).
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

~misfit~

Jan 17, 2020, 6:05:16 PM1/17/20
I still use uTorrent 1.8.2 for ratio sites as it's the only version that all of my ratio sites list
as an allowed client. For magnets I use Tixati and it works just fine, in fact fairly simple to use.

I tried BiglyBT and it was hellish complicated so haven't used it since.

Marmaduke Jinks

Jan 19, 2020, 5:44:04 AM1/19/20
"~misfit~" <shaun.at...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Thanks guys for this information.

MJ

Marmaduke Jinks

Jan 19, 2020, 5:47:51 AM1/19/20

"~misfit~" <shaun.at...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Ok. When I have another "visit" to the TPB I'll try that but the old TPB
Bowser links work ok but nothing happens when I click on the magnet link in
the new one. So I can't download the file anyway - no response- nada. It
should normally say "what do you want to Open this file with" if the file
association was broken, I would think.

MJ

Gra...@grelberville.org

Jan 19, 2020, 8:48:58 AM1/19/20
On Sun, 19 Jan 2020 10:46:41 -0000, "Marmaduke Jinks"
Just use an existing link to do it with.. I would think any file
ending in .torrent would do

Grelber

Marmaduke Jinks

Jan 19, 2020, 5:37:36 PM1/19/20
<Gra...@grelberville.org> wrote in message
When I click on the magnet nothing happens. So no saving of the torrent
file can happen as "nothing" happens.

MJ

MartinS

Jan 19, 2020, 11:47:24 PM1/19/20
Yes, it's complicated, and I went back to utorrent for a while. However,
my usual bit torrent site isn't working well with it at present, so I've
gone back again and persevered with BBT. Once you get the hang of it,
the basic download functions are fairly straightforward. I've never used
Azureus/Vuze, so I don't know how complicated they are.

--
Martin S

~misfit~

Jan 20, 2020, 6:36:51 PM1/20/20
Are you talking about the chaotic site? I tried BBT because of issues with that site and
recommendations there but it made no difference to my (their) connectivity issues.

Then factor in the other 5 ratio sites that I use all allow uT 1.8.2 but some specifically disallow
BBT and it was a no brainer to go back to uT. I already run two clients, I didn't want to make it
three.

Gra...@grelberville.org

Jan 21, 2020, 9:42:36 AM1/21/20
On Sun, 19 Jan 2020 22:36:25 -0000, "Marmaduke Jinks"
<Ji...@totoploy.com> wrote:

><Gra...@grelberville.org> wrote in message
<snipped>
>>>Ok. When I have another "visit" to the TPB I'll try that but the old TPB
>>>Bowser links work ok but nothing happens when I click on the magnet link
>>>in
>>>the new one. So I can't download the file anyway - no response- nada. It
>>>should normally say "what do you want to Open this file with" if the file
>>>association was broken, I would think.
>>>
>>>MJ
>>>
>> Just use an existing link to do it with.. I would think any file
>> ending in .torrent would do
>>
>> Grelber
>
>When I click on the magnet nothing happens. So no saving of the torrent
>file can happen as "nothing" happens.
>
>MJ

Did you try to Right click and Save As?

Marmaduke Jinks

Jan 22, 2020, 8:05:12 PM1/22/20
<Gra...@grelberville.org> wrote in message
Yes. But "Save As" is not an option.

As I had written before I can right click and choose the option of "Copy
Link Location", which I can then paste into my utorrent "Add Torrent from
URL" field. But my question was about normal clicking on a magnet link.

But thanks for your suggestion.

MJ

Sid Elbow

Jan 22, 2020, 8:43:54 PM1/22/20
Magnetic links aren't "files" that can be saved in Windows (so Windows
file-associations are moot).

If you right-click and copy the magnetic link then paste it somewhere
you can read it, you get something of the form:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:35b74f4e40c594476814d3971c8a9dfea71efba8&dn=Grantchester+S05E02+XviD-AFG&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969

This is designed to be pasted directly into the appropriate place in
your torrent client.

There is also a way to set up your system so that (left) clicking on the
link will transfer the clink directly to the client (the client has to
be running at the time). Mine is set up like that but I don't recall
offhand how I did that. Presumably from the torrent client. (Food for a
user-manual or Google search anyway.)

~misfit~

Jan 22, 2020, 9:43:19 PM1/22/20
I presume you've gone to Preferences, Bittorent, and ensured that the "Enable DHT" options (and
anything else relating to Magnets) are ticked?

Marmaduke Jinks

Jan 23, 2020, 4:33:55 AM1/23/20
"~misfit~" <shaun.at...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Thanks for the reply.

Those utorrent client preference settings are ticked. If I use an old
version of the tpb, within the same session, then normal (left) click
functionality is present.

MJ

Marmaduke Jinks

Jan 23, 2020, 4:37:44 AM1/23/20
"Sid Elbow" <he...@there.com> wrote in message
Thanks for the reply.

If I make a normal (left) click on the magnet then in the old tpb browser it
associates with utorrent and brings up the properties window of the torrent.
I can then set download speed. This doesn't happen with the "newer" tpb
browser. Nothing happens. I can right click and save the torrent file
location and manually set up the torrent.

MJ

Sid Elbow

Jan 26, 2020, 11:24:05 AM1/26/20
I don't use uTorrent (per se) locally any more - I use a seedbox with
rTorrent - however I do have an old copy on one of my machines which I
started and noticed that, under Preferences > General there is a section
on Windows integration which includes "Associate with magnetic URIs" and
also "Check Association on Startup" (which may apply only to the
.torrent association .... it's hard to tell .... but it would be worth
checking anyway).

Sorry if I sound pedantic .... not intended.

Marmaduke Jinks

Jan 26, 2020, 6:14:09 PM1/26/20
"Sid Elbow" <he...@there.com> wrote in message
Thanks Sid Elbow. I had a look and it's a button that is already clicked.

The funny thing is that if I run the old version of tpb browser then the
magnet icon works. The new tpb browser version does not have a normal
(right) click for the magnet icon. These are without logging off and
staying in the same session and with the same version of utorrent.

I may try a new utorrent but have read that newer versions carry enforced
ads. I like utorrent as it's relatively simple. I might follow that link
and have a look at Tixati that misfit suggested.

MJ