Cryptozoology humor

1 view

Karen Daskawicz

May 3, 2009, 1:51:55 PM5/3/09

http://news.yahoo.com/comics/uclickcomics/20090503/cx_fu_uc/fu20090503;_ylt=AiLYeFrmJwDce6Yy5Z_PwIjV.sgF

<wondering if the average person knows what "cryptozoology" means>

Karen

kurt youngmann

May 3, 2009, 1:57:38 PM5/3/09

On May 3, 2009, at 9:02 AM, Karen Daskawicz wrote:

> <wondering if the average person knows what "cryptozoology" means>

I don't. That is, I didn't until I just looked it up:

the study of evidence tending to substantiate the existence of, or
the search for, creatures whose reported existence is unproved, as
the Abominable Snowman or the Loch Ness monster.

The study of creatures, such as the Sasquatch, whose existence has
not been substantiated.

Kurt Youngmann

Karen Daskawicz

May 3, 2009, 2:00:27 PM5/3/09
On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 10:38 AM, kurt youngmann <tgo...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> On May 3, 2009, at 9:02 AM, Karen Daskawicz wrote:
>
> <wondering if the average person knows what "cryptozoology" means>
>>

> I don't. That is, I didn't until I just looked it up:

Kurt, you've illustrated my point. If someone like you, an educated
person
well-versed in health fraud and broadly-read in other skeptical topics, is
not familiar with the word, what hope is there for the "average" person?

(Still planning on getting on an aircraft bound for MDW on Tuesday.)

Karen

Murray Voight

May 3, 2009, 10:20:48 PM5/3/09
The definition is not deducible from the word. It seems a word that can
easily be misinterpreted. It is not a word I will add to my meager
arsenal
for use in the field but good to know for other purposes.

Murray

Wade T. Smith

May 3, 2009, 10:30:21 PM5/3/09

On May 03, 2009, at 16:13:24, Murray Voight wrote:

> The definition [of cryptozoology] is not deducible from the word.

Sure ain't. Pseudo-zoology would be more apt. The prefix, as in
cryptography, which most people know involves codes, means 'hidden'.
Cryptozoologists are more conspiracy kooks, contending there is
knowledge about these fantastical beasts, but the Man is keeping it
to Himself. But 'crypto' (all by its lonesome) also means "a person
having a secret allegiance to a political creed, esp. communism."

Crypto fans of the B-grade brit SF show 'Primeval' will be glad to
know the new female character is a mythologist, combing the ancient
texts for tales that might correspond with the wormhole interactions
of mankind and prehistoric animals the show depends upon.

- Wade