Of the Good, Peaceable Man (4)

Rich

Aug 20, 2022, 3:14:24 AM8/20/22
Of the Good, Peaceable Man (4)

Some people live at peace with themselves and with their fellow
men, but others are never at peace with themselves nor do they bring
it to anyone else. These latter are a burden to everyone, but they are
more of a burden to themselves. A few, finally, live at peace with
themselves and try to restore it to others.
Now, all our peace in this miserable life is found in humbly
enduring suffering rather than in being free from it. He who knows
best how to suffer will enjoy the greater peace, because he is the
conqueror of himself, the master of the world, a friend of Christ, and
an heir of heaven.
--Thomas à Kempis --Imitation of Christ Book 2, Chapter 3

==============
20 August – Saint Oswine of Deira
(Also known as Osuine, Oswin)

(Died 651)
King, Martyr, King of Deira in northern England. Born a Prince, the
son of King Osric of Deira in Northumbria and died by being murdered
on 20 August 651 at Gilling, Yorkshire, England on the orders of his
cousin Oswy. Patronage – betrayal victims (his location was betrayed
to his murders by a one of his supposedly loyal nobles).

“King Oswine was of a goodly countenance and tall of stature, pleasant
in discourse and courteous in behaviour; and bountiful to all, gentle
and simple alike.

[…] He had given a beautiful horse to Bishop Aidan, to use either in
crossing rivers, or in performing a journey upon any urgent necessity,
though the Bishop was wont to travel ordinarily on foot. Some short
time after, a poor man meeting the Bishop and asking alms, he
immediately dismounted and ordered the horse, with all his royal
trappings, to be given to the beggar; for he was very compassionate, a
great friend to the poor and, in a manner, the father of the wretched.

This being told to the King, when they were going in to dinner, he
said to the Bishop, “What did you mean, my lord Bishop, by giving the
poor man that royal horse, which it was fitting that you should have
for your own use? Had not we many other horses of less value, or
things of other sorts, which would have been good enough to give to
the poor, instead of giving that horse, which I had chosen and set
apart for your own use?”

Thereupon the Bishop answered, “What do you say, O King? Is that son
of a mare more dear to you than that son of God?”

Upon this they went in to dinner and the Bishop sat in his place but
the King, who had come in from hunting, stood warming himself, with
his attendants, at the fire. Then, on a sudden, whilst he was warming
himself, calling to mind what the Bishop had said to him, he ungirt
his sword and gave it to a servant and hastened to the Bishop and fell
down at his feet’ beseeching him to forgive him:

“For from this time forward,” said he, “I will never speak anymore of
this, nor will I judge of what or how much of our money you shall give
to the sons of God.” […] The King, at the Bishop’s command and
request, was comforted but the Bishop, on the other hand, grew sad and
was moved even to tears. His Priest then asking him, in the language
of his country, which the King and his servants did not understand,
why he wept.

“I know,” said he, “that the King will not live long, for I never
before saw a humble King, whence I perceive that he will soon be
snatched out of this life, because this nation is not worthy of such a
ruler.” Not long after, the Bishop’s gloomy foreboding was fulfilled
by the King’s sad death….”
The Venerable Bede (673-735) : Ecclesiastical History of England, 3

St Oswine ruled as King of Deira (southern Northumbria) from 644-651,
in the second generation after England’s conversion to Christianity by
St Augustine of Canterbury. His father had been murdered by the
warlord Cadwalla and young Oswine had been spirited away to safety in
Wessex shortly afterwards. Following the death of his kinsman, Oswald,
at the hands of King Penda of Mercia in 642, he returned to Deira and
became King around 644. His kinsman Oswy ruled Bernicia, the northern
part of Northumbria.

Oswine had a great reputation for sanctity and justice and for seven
years the kingdom of Deira enjoyed great happiness and prosperity. But
his kinsmen Oswy, jealous of his power, made war upon Oswine. Oswine
found himself unable to best the armies of Oswy and so he disbanded
them and fled to Humwald of Gilling, whom had recently pledged
allegiance to Oswine. But the unscrupulous Humwald quickly betrayed
the saintly King Oswin to some of Oswy’s officers who murdered him at
Gilling in 651. The slain king was immediately venerated as a Saint as
St Bede explained above.

He was buried at Gilling, but his remains were lost during the Danish
troubles. Only one year before the Norman Conquest (1065), St Oswine
appeared in a vision to a monk named Edmund and revealed the location
of his body. On 20 August 1103 his body was transferred solemnly to
its final resting place. During the Dissolution of the Monasteries
during Henry VIII’s reign, his body was found to be intact in the tomb
but it was sacrilegiously destroyed. Only a fragment remained, which
is now kept at Durham Cathedral.

As a side note, Eanfleda, the wife of Oswine’s murderer Oswy and
daughter of St Edwin, persuaded her husband to do penance for Oswine’s
murder by endowing a Monastery at Gilling, which he promptly did. Some
remains of the Monastery can still be seen today, though it was
destroyed by the Danes in the 11th century.

https://anastpaul.com/2020/08/20/

Saint Quote:
Believe me, the writing of pious books, the composing of the most
sublime poetry; all that does not equal the smallest act of
self-denial.
--St. Therese of Lisieux

Bible Quote
Lift up your heads, O gates!
and be lifted up,[a] O ancient doors!
that the King of glory may come in.
10 Who is this King of glory?
The Lord of hosts,
he is the King of glory!Selah [Psalm 24:9-10] RSVCE

<><><><>
Morning Prayer of St Bernard

High and holy God
Give me this day