Why do some celebrate christmas on jan 7, past saturday

servant

Jan 9, 2023, 2:13:02 PM1/9/23
Until 1582 the julian solar calendar was used. In that year the rcc
switched to the solar calendar introduced by pope gregory 13. The western
church used a set date for easter determined by the spring equinox of march
21. The jews used a similar moon calendar based on the equinox. It was
different because it was not aset solar date but calculated from
observations of the moon. The eastern church used the moon calculation
with no set solar date for the equinox.

The julian calendar had a method to compensate for a solar year that is
just over 365 days. Over the years since it was first used just before the
birth of Christ a minor difference with the actual solar numbr of days
caused it to drift. The gregorian calendar adjusted that minor mistake to
make sure eastr would be observed based on the march 21 equinox a set solar
year event.

Over the years the difference between the two calendars has caused a 13 day
difference in the dates of months and dates set by them. Thus the regorian
dec. 25 is 13 days ahead of the julian dec. 25

Btw, england and the british empire did not accept the new calendar until
1752, and the then n. america with its colonies at the same time. England
celebrated christmas on jan. 6 based on the new calendar. It was a
protestant vs. rcc thing. Note the jan. 6 of 1752 , since then the
calendar difference in days has advanced to christmas on jan. 7.

Those still using the old calendar for christmas are the traditional
eastern church areas of the world, in part a west vs. east church thing.
Many in the eastern churches living in the west have adopted the dec. 25
new calendar date, but not all. . That is why the jan. 7 of last saturday
was christmas in many news accounts of those using the old calendar for the
yearly cycle of church days.

All eastern churches use the the moon day equinox calculation and all have
the same easter day. Sometimes the eastern and western easters are on the
same sunday, but more often the eastern easter is 1 or more sundays after
the western march 21 determined celebration.

Dr. Who

Jan 9, 2023, 4:45:55 PM1/9/23
On Jan 9, 2023, servant wrote
(in article<63bc673c$0$2250$1c46...@news.club.cc.cmu.edu>):

> All eastern churches use the the moon day equinox calculation and all have
> the same easter day. Sometimes the eastern and western easters are on the
> same sunday, but more often the eastern easter is 1 or more sundays after the
> western march 21 determined celebration.

And "Easter" is a pagan holiday.

None of the "eastern churches" use the moon calendar for anything but
purported religious holidays according to their traditions. Lent is another
major mocking event.

The Orthodox New Year, also known as the Old New Year, according to the
Julian calendar is on January 14 in the Gregorian calendar. The Julian
calendar pre-dates the Gregorian calendar.

So what are the Orthodox days of the week named, and what are the names of
the 13 months, after all there are only 28 days in a lunar cycle, and on what
days do they celebrate their B-days?

pyotr filipivich

Jan 10, 2023, 2:47:24 PM1/10/23
Dr. Who <dr....@biosphere.orb> on Mon, 09 Jan 2023 13:45:53 -0800
typed in alt.christnet.christianlife the following:
>On Jan 9, 2023, servant wrote
>(in article<63bc673c$0$2250$1c46...@news.club.cc.cmu.edu>):
>
>> All eastern churches use the the moon day equinox calculation and all have
>> the same easter day. Sometimes the eastern and western easters are on the
>> same sunday, but more often the eastern easter is 1 or more sundays after the
>> western march 21 determined celebration.
>
>And "Easter" is a pagan holiday.

Snerk. "And McDonalds is a Babylonian theme Restaurant chain."

>None of the "eastern churches" use the moon calendar

You should have stopped there.

>for anything but
>purported religious holidays according to their traditions. Lent is another
>major mocking event.

Well, you have that wrong as well.

I realize the whole concept of observing the Resurrection of Our
Lord and Savior is just so strange to the Roberts of the world, but it
has been "a thing" since the first century.
And the idea that one should spiritually prepare for things is
also something foreign as well.

>The Orthodox New Year, also known as the Old New Year, according to the
>Julian calendar is on January 14 in the Gregorian calendar. The Julian
>calendar pre-dates the Gregorian calendar.

So close.

I wonder if Robert has a clue as to why the "Julian Calendar" is
called that, and what major transnational organization gave it the
installed user base.

>So what are the Orthodox days of the week named, and what are the names of
>the 13 months,

Depends on what language one is using. (I like that Feidi'as day
is refereed to in Russian as "fifth day".)

>after all there are only 28 days in a lunar cycle,

Ah, you missed. Try 29 and a half days. It is why the old Roman
Republic's calendar had alternating months of 29 and 30 days. The
reason there were only ten months is "complicated".

> and on what days do they celebrate their B-days?

Most Orthodox observe their name days. I know that's such an
alien concept for dyed in the polyester 21st century Protestants to
grasp, but ... there it is.

Robert might wish to consult at least Wikipedia before he opens
his mouth to declare his ignorance to all.
--
pyotr
After the war two Army Chaplains were mustering out. The one said to

Dr. Who

Jan 10, 2023, 4:52:18 PM1/10/23
On Jan 10, 2023, pyotr filipivich wrote
(in article<bgfrrhdo0g3ke00do...@4ax.com>):

> Dr. Who <dr....@biosphere.orb> on Mon, 09 Jan 2023 13:45:53 -0800
> typed in alt.christnet.christianlife the following:
> > On Jan 9, 2023, servant wrote
> > (in article<63bc673c$0$2250$1c46...@news.club.cc.cmu.edu>):
> >
> > > All eastern churches use the the moon day equinox calculation and all have
> > > the same easter day. Sometimes the eastern and western easters are on the
> > > same sunday, but more often the eastern easter is 1 or more sundays after
> > > the
> > > western march 21 determined celebration.
> >
> > And "Easter" is a pagan holiday.
>
> Snerk. "And McDonalds is a Babylonian theme Restaurant chain."

Is that why they are under the Golden Arches? Why they have Fish Fridays?

> > None of the "eastern churches" use the moon calendar
>
> You should have stopped there.
>
> > for anything but
> > purported religious holidays according to their traditions. Lent is another
> > major mocking event.
>
> Well, you have that wrong as well.

https://lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVarticles/RememberingHisResurrectionAnnuall
y.htm

Take a good look at that page, reread it a few times and let it sink in. It
is a brief description of your churches error, as well as that of the RCC and
it is a shame that the rest of the churches when reforming did not drop that
event as well. Yes, in the beginning of the RCC the orthodox was its leader.
The amalgamation of pagan holidays with so-called Christian Holidays is
sinful. Like the eggs on Easter produced by bunnies of the pagan wench, to
the trees of Christmas.

The calendar set by God is the same today as at the beginning of Israel
nation, and he still follows that calendar in prophetic events. You all do
not even know the day of the week that Jesus was buried.

> I realize the whole concept of observing the Resurrection of Our
> Lord and Savior is just so strange to the Roberts of the world, but it
> has been "a thing" since the first century.

Wrong. See the link above as to why.

> And the idea that one should spiritually prepare for things is
> also something foreign as well.

Wrong again. That is a totally wrong perspective of the work of Jesus via his
death and resurrection.
In fact it is satanic what is being taught by that religious view as it
totally distorts and tears down the work that Jesus did. One can only be Born
of God once. If you chose to walk away from Gods salvation having once tasted
of the powers to come, there is no more sacrifice for anyone.

“For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the
truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful
looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the
adversaries.” (Heb 10:26-27, KJV)

> > The Orthodox New Year, also known as the Old New Year, according to the
> > Julian calendar is on January 14 in the Gregorian calendar. The Julian
> > calendar pre-dates the Gregorian calendar.
>
> So close.

Really? This was taken from your doctrines.

> I wonder if Robert has a clue as to why the "Julian Calendar" is
> called that, and what major transnational organization gave it the
> installed user base.

If it is not of God then what does it matter? It is the way of man just as
before with all the other ungodly people.

> > So what are the Orthodox days of the week named, and what are the names of
> > the 13 months,
>
> Depends on what language one is using. (I like that Feidi'as day
> is refereed to in Russian as "fifth day".)
>
> > after all there are only 28 days in a lunar cycle,
>
> Ah, you missed. Try 29 and a half days. It is why the old Roman
> Republic's calendar had alternating months of 29 and 30 days. The
> reason there were only ten months is "complicated".

Then it is not a lunar month. Even the pagans who went by the moon used
observers to judge the months time.

> > and on what days do they celebrate their B-days?
>
> Most Orthodox observe their name days. I know that's such an
> alien concept for dyed in the polyester 21st century Protestants to
> grasp, but ... there it is.
>
> Robert might wish to consult at least Wikipedia before he opens
> his mouth to declare his ignorance to all.

Is WIKI now the doctrine setter for the orthodox? Amazing. So I should
consult them and not the Orthodox Church?

I was not aware that they had already yielded to the antichrist. ;)

servant

Jan 10, 2023, 6:25:02 PM1/10/23
>> All eastern churches use the the moon day equinox calculation and all have
>> the same easter day. Sometimes the eastern and western easters are on the
>> same sunday, but more often the eastern easter is 1 or more sundays after the
>> western march 21 determined celebration.

Our resident source of all things church history/scripture, or so he
implies; had a thought agreeing with the jw:

>And "Easter" is a pagan holiday.

Hmm, is passover a pagan "holiday"? Easter is the day of Christ's rising
from the tomb, It is directly tied to passover on which His death occured.
He and the apostles were in Jerusalem to observe passsover.

Our source of all things church history/scripture" continues:

>None of the "eastern churches" use the moon calendar for anything but
>purported religious holidays according to their traditions. Lent is another
>major mocking event.

Smile, did someone say"source of all things church history/scripture?
Here is howthe eastern church determines easter. Using the jewish moon
calendar to determine the spring equinox. How that moon cycle based
calendar works is easily found on the net.

So why do the day of eastern easter and western easter usually fall on
different sundays?

The determination is this, easter is to be on the first sunday after the
first full moon after the equinox. If jewish passover should occur on the
same day then it is the next sunday.

Passover can be any day of the week based on the equinox/full moon also.
The western church does not have the last part of the eastern church
determination, if passover is on a sunday for a given year; easter happens
anyway.

Dr. Who

Jan 10, 2023, 6:43:41 PM1/10/23
On Jan 10, 2023, servant wrote
(in article<63bde60d$0$2236$1c46...@news.club.cc.cmu.edu>):
The word “Easter” is derived from the Anglo-Saxon word Eostre, the name
of the goddess of Spring. Sacrifices were offered in her honor at the first
full moon that came at the time of the vernal equinox. By the 8th century,
the term came to be applied to the anniversary of Christ’s resurrection
[ISBE, Vol 2, page 6]. There has been much controversy about the time of this
celebration. The Jewish Christians and Gentiles could not agree on a set
date. But as time passed an increasing number of people celebrated the
anniversary of the resurrection on the first day of the week annually. By the
7th century the practice of religious groups had become universally uniform.
The agreed upon time is now the first Sunday following the full moon that
comes on or after the vernal equinox and that date was set as March 21st.
This is why there is a variation in Easter dates from March 22nd through
April 25th. There has even been talk among the different religions as setting
the date permanently on one Sunday between March 21st and April 25th.

“And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him
to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring
him forth to the people.” (Act 12:4, KJV)

Here you can see a carry over of the RCC/Orthodox mixture of the pagan and
Godly teaching, for the word "Easter" is actually "pasta" transliterated from
the Greek. Here below is the actual usage of the word pasta.

pascha

Thayer Definition:

1) the paschal sacrifice (which was accustomed to be offered for the
people’s deliverance of old from Egypt)

2) the paschal lamb, i.e. the lamb the Israelites were accustomed to slay and
eat on the fourteenth day of the month of Nisan (the first month of their
year) in memory of the day on which their fathers, preparing to depart from
Egypt, were bidden by God to slay and eat a lamb, and to sprinkle their door
posts with its blood, that the destroying angel, seeing the blood, might pass
over their dwellings; Christ crucified is likened to the slain paschal lamb

3) the paschal supper

4) the paschal feast, the feast of the Passover, extending from the 14th to
the 20th day of the month Nisan

This is a Jewish feast. Which is reference to the Lords Sacrifice as the Lamb
that is sacrificed for the sins of this world.

zeb...@windstream.net

Jan 11, 2023, 9:51:27 AM1/11/23
On 09 Jan 2023 19:13:00 GMT, servant wrote:

Morning Glory,
Yet not one of Jesus' apostles celebrated Jesus' birth. Kinda strange
hugh?

Sincerely James
What is going to happen next.
Go to jw.org

pyotr filipivich

Jan 30, 2023, 2:25:23 PM1/30/23
servant on 10 Jan 2023 22:26:21 GMT typed in
alt.christnet.christianlife the following:
>>> All eastern churches use the the moon day equinox calculation and all have
>>> the same easter day. Sometimes the eastern and western easters are on the
>>> same sunday, but more often the eastern easter is 1 or more sundays after the
>>> western march 21 determined celebration.
>>
>Our resident source of all things church history/scripture, or so he
>implies; had a thought agreeing with the jw:
>
>>And "Easter" is a pagan holiday.
>
>Hmm, is passover a pagan "holiday"? Easter is the day of Christ's rising
>from the tomb, It is directly tied to passover on which His death occured.
>He and the apostles were in Jerusalem to observe passsover.
>
> Our source of all things church history/scripture" continues:
>
>>None of the "eastern churches" use the moon calendar for anything but
>>purported religious holidays according to their traditions. Lent is another
>>major mocking event.
>
>Smile, did someone say"source of all things church history/scripture?
> Here is howthe eastern church determines easter. Using the jewish moon
>calendar to determine the spring equinox. How that moon cycle based
>calendar works is easily found on the net.
>
>So why do the day of eastern easter and western easter usually fall on
>different sundays?
>
>The determination is this, easter is to be on the first sunday after the
>first full moon after the equinox. If jewish passover should occur on the
>same day then it is the next sunday.

It also has to do with the differing tables worked out as to
actually when Pascha is to be observed. {Like the Jewish Passover, it
hasn't been based on astronomical observations in Jerusalem for a
centuries} Off the top of my heard I don't call which branch (east or
west) uses a table which repeats on 84 year cycle and the other has a
different cycle.

>Passover can be any day of the week based on the equinox/full moon also.
>The western church does not have the last part of the eastern church
>determination, if passover is on a sunday for a given year; easter happens
>anyway.

I'd like to see a citation for that. My understanding is that the
proscription had more to do with asking of the Jews "when is Passover"
and then determining the date for the Feast of the Resurrection.
Confounding issues are determining when is the New Moon? When is
the equinox? If these are to be determined by observation, where does
the observing take place? "Astronomy can be Fun!"
--
pyotr filipivich
Gott hilfen und wir leben.

Dr. Who

Jan 30, 2023, 4:17:16 PM1/30/23
On Jan 30, 2023, pyotr filipivich wrote
(in article<jp5gthh5du3r7jg0e...@4ax.com>):
> the observing take place? "Astronomy can be Fun!”
You both show your ignorance of scripture, the holy days and when they are to
take place according to God. Passover is to take place on specified month and
days. Neve on the pagan Easter Day or to coincide with it. Lent is another
pagan celebration morphed into the RCC and the Orthodox.

Problem is you two never go to the word of God to see what He specified.

pyotr filipivich

Feb 2, 2023, 11:33:25 AM2/2/23
Dr. Who <dr....@biosphere.orb> on Mon, 30 Jan 2023 13:17:14 -0800
typed in alt.religion.christian.east-orthodox the following:
Hmm, no response.

>> > Passover can be any day of the week based on the equinox/full moon also.
>> > The western church does not have the last part of the eastern church
>> > determination, if passover is on a sunday for a given year; easter happens
>> > anyway.
>> I'd like to see a citation for that. My understanding is that the
>> proscription had more to do with asking of the Jews "when is Passover"
>> and then determining the date for the Feast of the Resurrection.
>> Confounding issues are determining when is the New Moon? When is
>> the equinox? If these are to be determined by observation, where does
>> the observing take place? "Astronomy can be Fun!”
>You both show your ignorance of scripture, the holy days and when they are to
>take place according to God. Passover is to take place on specified month and
>days.

Yes it is. Now, what is the date of Passover? Do you know why it
seems to wander around the civil calendar?

>Neve on the pagan Easter Day or to coincide with it. Lent is another
>pagan celebration morphed into the RCC and the Orthodox.

The sad part is that Robert indicates by these statements that his
is not a serious religion. For him, nothing is worthy of being
observed, or requiring any preparation before hand. But then again,
"Fasting" does seem to Robert to only mean not eating anything. Not
included in his definition is fasting from "hatred, mendaciousness,
anger" and other actions.

>Problem is you two never go to the word of God to see what He specified.

This is a hoot. Robert is dedicated to his version of the meaning
of scripture, never minding the various other innovations which have
cropped up in the last century. Altar call, slain in the spirit, sola
scriptura, etc.
But seeing as how he is the final authority on all things, of
course he has no idea, nor desire to know, what it was that Jesus
taught the Apostles to teach.

--
For many "I am spiritual, not religious".seems the short form of
"I retain the option to adjust my beliefs to fit my lifestyle,

Dr. Who

Feb 2, 2023, 2:44:22 PM2/2/23
On Feb 2, 2023, pyotr filipivich wrote
(in article<boonthdg5k24r99ff...@4ax.com>):
What was the need to? You admitted to not knowing, and that no one has
bothered to learn over “a centuries”.

> > > I'd like to see a citation for that. My understanding is that the
> > > proscription had more to do with asking of the Jews "when is Passover"
> > > and then determining the date for the Feast of the Resurrection.
> > > Confounding issues are determining when is the New Moon? When is
> > > the equinox? If these are to be determined by observation, where does
> > > the observing take place? "Astronomy can be Fun!”
> > You both show your ignorance of scripture, the holy days and when they are
> > take place according to God. Passover is to take place on specified month
> > and
> > days.
>
> Yes it is. Now, what is the date of Passover?

The 14th day of Abib/Nisan
> Do you know why it
> seems to wander around the civil calendar?

Because of your confusion, as you specified above.

> > Neve on the pagan Easter Day or to coincide with it. Lent is another
> > pagan celebration morphed into the RCC and the Orthodox.
>
> The sad part is that Robert indicates by these statements that his
> is not a serious religion. For him, nothing is worthy of being
> observed, or requiring any preparation before hand. But then again,
> "Fasting" does seem to Robert to only mean not eating anything. Not
> included in his definition is fasting from "hatred, mendaciousness,
> anger" and other actions.

Oh the unseen hypocrisy that you reek. For an entire week, (for the orthodox)
You claim to fast from, " "hatred, mendaciousness, anger" and other
actions.” For an entire week, but then return to those things for the whole
year. They should not even be a part of your life. On top of that, those
“righteous orthodox” discuss nothing for the week before that and during
the week what you can eat to replace the things that you are supposed to give
up. Same thing the Pharisee’s did, so they can sin, without sinning.
Splitting the hairs as it were.

For the week before you, if following the commandment of Law” are to
prepare the Lamb for that week as cleaning your home while ridding it all of
any form of leavening.

That I follow not a religion, is not to be questioned. There was only one
religion ever specified by God and that was Judaism. The ekklesia is to
follow the Gospel Message of Christ.

> > Problem is you two never go to the word of God to see what He specified.
>
> This is a hoot. Robert is dedicated to his version of the meaning
> of scripture, never minding the various other innovations which have
> cropped up in the last century. Altar call, slain in the spirit, sola
> scriptura, etc.

LOL, so you are now an avid follower of the woman? A woman leading a man?

> But seeing as how he is the final authority on all things, of
> course he has no idea, nor desire to know, what it was that Jesus
> taught the Apostles to teach.

And you are clueless about that statement, having no knowledge of scripture,
which one of your own recently pointed out, and all you know is the dogma of
the Big “O”.

pyotr filipivich

Feb 23, 2023, 5:17:55 PM2/23/23
Dr. Who <dr....@biosphere.orb> on Thu, 02 Feb 2023 11:44:19 -0800
typed in alt.christnet.christianlife the following:

>> > You both show your ignorance of scripture, the holy days and when they are
>> > to take place according to God. Passover is to take place on specified month
>> > and days.
>>
>> Yes it is. Now, what is the date of Passover?
>
>The 14th day of Abib/Nisan

Correct.

>> Do you know why it seems to wander around the civil calendar?
>
>Because of your confusion, as you specified above.

I'll take that as Robert admitting he has no idea why Passover
wanders around the civil calendar. Look up "Solar Lunar Calendars".

A quick homily. The reason is quite simple: The Jewish calendar is
a lunar calendar, with a month being the time from one new moon to the
next. Which is between 29 and 30 days. (For those calculating at
home, that means 12 lunar months are 354 days. Which only really
matters if there is some reason that a specific day (say the
fourteenth day of Nissan) is suppose to occur during a particular
season of the year (e.g., "spring")
One solution to this problem is the "intercalendary month" which
is added after the month of Shevat, and called "Adar Alpeh" while the
"regular" month of Adar is called "Adar Beth".

What became the Civil Calendar was a calendar reform implemented
by Gais Julius when he was Pontiff Maximus, which corrected their
lunar calendar by adding another 44 days to the year, changing to a
solar year calendar. (A solar year being approximately 365 and 1/4
days long, hence the need for a 'leap year' with a compensating
additional day. Otherwise the spring festivals would start occurring
in the summer.) [The solar year is not 365.25 days but a tad less
which meant that after 15 centuries, the calendar was out of sync with
the seasons by 11 days. While interesting, that's another digression.]

So, now you know, why Passover "floats" verses the civil calendar,
and why the date of Pascha was calculated as "the first Sunday after
the first full moon after the spring equinox."
Oh, and both holy days are not determined by observation, but from
tables of calculations. After all, how long did it take to get news
of the sighting of the new moon in Jerusalem to the far reaches of the
Diaspora before 'modern' communications?

Dr. Who

Feb 23, 2023, 7:00:50 PM2/23/23
On Feb 23, 2023, pyotr filipivich wrote
(in article<l3mfvh1m8bvonet10...@4ax.com>):

> Dr. Who <dr....@biosphere.orb> on Thu, 02 Feb 2023 11:44:19 -0800
> typed in alt.christnet.christianlife the following:

> > > Yes it is. Now, what is the date of Passover?
> >
> > The 14th day of Abib/Nisan
>
> Correct.
>
> > > Do you know why it seems to wander around the civil calendar?
> >
> > Because of your confusion, as you specified above.
>
> I'll take that as Robert admitting he has no idea why Passover
> wanders around the civil calendar. Look up "Solar Lunar Calendars".

Actually you over simplified what you read. I already told you the why it
floats around from year to year, and I only briefly summarized as to why so
that you would have time to look it up for yourself.

Your "homily" ;) below shows some of the highlights but misses so much.
Basically in the Jewish Calendar, as ordained by God, there are some years
that have 13 months, and some that have 12. It mattered little the the
Israelite what lunar calendars were in use but the peoples around them,
unless they were enslaved, and then it mattered little also because they were
not following God as a nation. Over the years between the sun god years of
the RCC or gentiles, the calendars between the Jew and the balance of the
world grew apart further and further. So any attempt at this to calculate the
disparity between them as to even what actual year it is will be in error.

Even the current Jewish year is askew, and for sure the Gregorian calendar
is. To verify this you would need to study the history of it and see what
happened to the countries who did not subscribe to it and find out what
happened to them, time wise, as they migrated their calendars over many years
later.

About the only way I can see to reverse engineer the day, dates and years
would be to take the descriptions given for the events that occurred the day
Christ was crucified, and match them up with solar events described over
Jerusalem, and given what we know then process all known solar cycles and
events to an event like the eclipse in the middle of the day over Jerusalem
by a super computer so that we would be able to calculate time between that
day and the current day as to month, day and year as per the Jewish calendar.

If you were able to understand what you read in order to post what you did
below, then you would be able to understand the why's of what I wrote above.

As to future events in the Bible one can calculate certain things like the 7
years of tribulation since it describes what occurs the day the Tribulation
begins and enumerates the days and years for other events that occur during
the seven years. Yet we cannot know the year it will start or even the day it
will end until the ekklesia is snatched out of the earth.

I do commend you for taking some time out to get a grasp on the subject yet
there is a whole lot more to consider,