Are ICUs in the U.S. actually full as headlines claim?

Michael Ejercito

Aug 5, 2021, 10:18:28 AM8/5/21
http://www.reddit.com/r/LockdownSkepticism/comments/oxyg0w/are_icus_in_the_us_actually_full_as_headlines/

Are ICUs in the U.S. actually full as headlines claim?
Discussion
It's really interesting (and disheartening) to see the exact same repeat
of last year happening right now, where it's clear that those with the
loudest voices aren't interested in actually educating or informing the
public about accurate data or scientific findings, but instead seem
intent on creating as much confusion as possible by spreading "half
truths" and sensationalized opinions from "experts."

One such topic of confusion and disinformation at the moment is the
state of hospital and ICU capacities across the country, a topic which
is often used to justify lockdown measures or other restrictions. Every
day, major media headlines claim that ICUs are full, just like last
year, but upon further examination it appears many of these claims are
grossly exaggerated. But is there an easy way for regular people to see
the ACTUAL data for themselves, vs. just taking sensational media's word
for it?

To clarify, it certainly appears to be true that in many areas around
the country, there are increased admissions to hospitals and ICUs. But
the question is how does this compare to other times during the
pandemic, and how "full" are they? Do headlines match reality?

I came across this website that seems like it could be a good resource:

https://data.commercialappeal.com/covid-19-hospital-capacity/

You can look at every state and county in the U.S. and view current and
past hospital/ICU capacities for every hospital, plus COVID admissions.
It's apparently part of the USA Today network, and the data gathered is
purported to be straight from the U.S. Department of Health & Human
Services. If anyone knows any more about the validity of this site,
please share, but it looks to be legitimate (and you may be able to
verify numbers by looking at your state/county health department
websites if they make the data accessible).

I'm sharing this because it's good for people to be informed, and share
the REAL information with others, so we aren't beholden to believing
whatever claims are made in the headlines. For example, I've heard many
people claim that in my local area, ICUs were "overrun" at the peak
times of the pandemic, but a quick glance at this site shows that there
was never a case where all hospitals or ICUs were even close to full in
my area.

Here are some examples of sensational headlines that are being shared
and accepted as gospel across Reddit and elsewhere:

COVID-19: Oklahoma runs out of ICU hospital beds
https://www.birminghamstar.com/news/270565700/covid-19-oklahoma-runs-out-of-icu-hospital-beds

This headline is a blatant lie which is conflicted by the text of its
actual article, which includes quotes that show that ICU numbers may be
increasing, but have not "run out." Here's one quote: "According to a
local ER doctor in Oklahoma, several ICUs across the metro were "maxed
out or close to capacity" as COVID-19 hospitalizations continue to soar,
reported Fox News."

The article also mentions there's been a large reported increase in RSV
cases (which the headline conveniently leaves out)

Looking at the Commercial Appeal hospital tracking website above, it
looks like the majority of Oklahoma hospitals have space available, with
a number of them at below 70% ICU capacity.

Central Florida hospitals close to ICU capacity as COVID-19 cases increase
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2021/07/20/central-florida-hospitals-close-to-icu-capacity-as-covid-19-cases-increase/

This one is interesting because one of the hospitals has an official
statement shared within the article that seems to conflict with the
fear-generating headline. AdventHealth, one of the Orlando area
hospitals listed as being at 93% ICU capacity, released this statement:

“It is typical for hospitals to have capacity figures in the 90th
percentile even in pre-COVID times, so these numbers do not cause for
concern or alarm. While we have seen an increase in hospitalizations in
Central Florida over the last few weeks, we still have significantly
fewer COVID patients compared to what we saw during the peak. Even
during the peak, at no point did we reach capacity."

As a disclaimer, I'm not a Covid-denier, and I am vaccinated. I believe
Covid has been a very serious problem, but that misinformation and
fearmongering are helping no one. People should be informed, the CDC and
other "health leaders" should be transparent and seek to educate the
population on data and actual risks posed to them and their communities,
rather than trying to manipulate people to behave a certain way with
half truths or withholding data.

If anyone else has great data sources to share, please do!

https://www.avg.com

HeartDoc Andrew

Aug 5, 2021, 11:13:41 AM8/5/21
The "actual risk" of COVID-19 infection faced by any given individual
will depend on the extent (duration/distance from source) of their
actual physical exposure to the virus at any given moment instead of
statistics from the CDC and/or other "health leaders."

>If anyone else has great data sources to share, please do!

The only *healthy* way to stop the pandemic, thereby saving lives, in
the U.S. & elsewhere is by rapidly ( http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 )
finding out at any given moment, including even while on-line, who
among us are unwittingly contagious (i.e pre-symptomatic or
asymptomatic) in order to http://bit.ly/convince_it_forward (John
15:12) for them to call their doctor and self-quarantine per their
doctor in hopes of stopping this pandemic. Thus, we're hoping for the
best while preparing for the worse-case scenario of the Alpha lineage
mutations and others like the Gamma, Beta, Epsilon, Iota, Lambda &
Delta lineage mutations combining to form hybrids that render current
COVID vaccines no longer effective.

Indeed, I am wonderfully hungry ( http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 )
and hope you, Michael, also have a healthy appetite too.

So how are you ?

HeartDoc Andrew <><
--
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Cardiologist with an http://HeartMDPhD.com/EternalMedicalLicense

Michael Ejercito

Aug 6, 2021, 10:40:10 AM8/6/21
On Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 8:13:42 AM UTC-7, Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
wrote:
I am wonderfully hungry!

Michael

HeartDoc Andrew

Aug 6, 2021, 11:03:25 AM8/6/21
MichaelE wrote:
> I am wonderfully hungry!

8:3) us to hunger, I note that you, Michael, not only don't have
COVID-19 but are rapture (Luke 17:37) ready and pray (2 Chronicles
7:14) that our Everlasting (Isaiah 9:6) Father in Heaven continues to
give us "much more" (Luke 11:13) Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) so
that we'd have much more of His Help to always say/write that we're
"wonderfully hungry" in **all** ways including especially caring to
http://bit.ly/convince_it_forward (John 15:12 as shown by
http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 ) with all glory (
http://bit.ly/Psalm117_ ) to GOD (aka HaShem, Elohim, Abba, DEO), in
the name (John 16:23) of LORD Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Amen.

Laus DEO !

Suggested further reading:
https://groups.google.com/g/sci.med.cardiology/c/5EWtT4CwCOg/m/QjNF57xRBAAJ

Shorter link:
http://bit.ly/StatCOVID-19Test

http://HeartMDPhD.com/HeartDocAndrewToutsHunger (Luke 6:21a) with all
glory ( http://HeartMDPhD.com/Psalm117_ ) to GOD, Who causes us to
hunger (Deuteronomy 8:3) when He blesses us right now (Luke 6:21a)
thereby removing the http://HeartMDPhD.com/VAT from around the heart