best beer

1 view
Skip to first unread message

abb...@egr.uri.edu

unread,
Nov 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/4/96
to

BarbNap wrote:

> All of the Sierra's are available in RI - Anchor Steam is only good if it
> has stayed COLD since being shipped from CA - just like Coors used to be

Beer selections in this neck of Rhode Island (South County) are pretty
darned good and getting better. A lot of the stores are increasig
their stocks of quality beers- it's turning into an arms race, at
least down here in South County (not really a county at all, just the
Southern part of the state, for those of you who don't live here).
The few package stores I frequent make life happy.

The good selection may be the only good thing about package stores
(can't sell beer/wine/liquor in the grocery store, can't buy anything
on Sundays, prices are _insane_, gotta love it, not). Since they
don't have to compete with every grocery store, 7-11, and whatever,
they can afford to stock some good beers and don't just need the
shelf-space for, say, Natural Ice, which the undergrads suck down by
the pallet around here.

If you are looking for beer in (Southern) Rhode Island, visit
Wakefiled Liquor on rte. 108. It is an eye-opener. Lots and lots of
micros, 10% discount on mixed six-packs. Has been keeping me happy
during my sentence here in RI as a grad student.

Just found Apollo Ale there, comes in a nifty blue bottle. Tasty!
Lots of hops. Full, but with some complexity. Claims to be oak aged.
Can you do that with a beer? I know you can cask condition, but it's
not usually oak, is it? It also looks like a real mass-produced sort
of thing- can't see how they would be able to store that much product
in oak barrels. To much inventory, to expensive to produce. I
thought the tanins from the oak would really screw things up. Anyway,
good beer, try one. to bad it's a screw-top, I will be drinking afew
more of these, but can't bottle my home-brew into them. Waste of good
blue glass.

The best beer selection I have ever seen in my entire life, however,
has got to be BEERS OF THE WORLD in Rochester, NY. Amazing.
Astounding. Beer heaven. It's about the size of a supemarket. They
have almost everything. There are very few things I have thought
about trying that I could not find there. It was the first place I
was introduced to good beer, and it's always a religious experience
for me to make a pilgrimage back there.


manolin

unread,
Nov 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/6/96
to

Mi opinión acerca de la mejor cerveza es:

una guinness

el compañero dice: no, no, no, es gorda de cuerpo, subida de alcohol y
ligera de espuma

Robert BLACK

unread,
Nov 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/13/96
to

manolin <alum...@indy3.etsii.upm.es> wrote:
>Mi opinión acerca de la mejor cerveza es:
>una guinness

Ah, Manolin, que quiere, compadre?
Una de las mejors cervezas es BOHEMIA!

ROBERT BLACK

bukn...@aol.com

unread,
Nov 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/13/96
to

This has to be one of the most ridiculous questions I've ever seen. How
can anyone choose one beer as the best overall?!?!? I'm afraid it just
doesn't work that way. If you want to engage in this pointless argument
at least do it properly.

Narrow it down. Your choice is the best beer in what STYLE?!?!? Dry
Stout, Sweet Stout, Porter, Lager, Ale, Bitter, ESB, Export, Steam Beer,
American Light Lager, Bock, Marzen, Alt, Kriek, Framboise, Belgian Ale,
Lambic, etc. There are a LOT more styles, if anyone is interested I'd be
happy to post a family tree of beer styles.

Also, there is, in fact, a standardized evaluation for judging beer, not
unlike wine. I could post that too if it would be helpful. That way this
thread could actually be useful. We wouldn't be comparing Rolling Rock to
Duvel or Dos Equis to Youngs London Pride or Guiness to Sammuel Smiths
Taddy Porter.

But the bottom line is drink what YOU like, be open minded & try as many
beers as you can you might be supprised how your tastes evolve.

Here's a beer to try, since we're on the subject:
In the style of cask conditioned ales; try Brooklyn Chocolate Stout. Yes
I know, it's really a sweet stout, but cask conditioned beers are rare
enough in the U.S. so we can be a little less strict. It's available in
bottles too but if you can find the cask conditioned version, you'll know
it because it's hand pumped from the keg, give it a shot. Why just the
though of a pint is bringing a tear to my eye.

Cheers

Buk

Michael Mcgovern

unread,
Nov 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/14/96
to

brooklyn brewery's black chocalate stout, in limited
availability, is magnifique.

But you cant beat the belgians-- Chimay is the best
mike
"im...@juno.com"

tim...@aol.com

unread,
Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96
to

On 13 Nov bukn...@aol.com wrote:
>This has to be one of the most ridiculous questions I've ever seen. How
>can anyone choose one beer as the best overall?!?!? I'm afraid it just
>doesn't work that way. If you want to engage in this pointless argument
>at least do it properly.
and he/she wrote a whole lot more...
Cheers Buk, just what I've been thinking all along and you've put far more
eloquently than everything I've attempted. I couldn't agree with you
more, but I would have to say that I wouldn't try your recommendation
because I personally don't like that style.
Beer is an individual taste. Even though there has been numerous mentions
of Guiness, I can't stand the stuff, but that doesn't mean it isn't a
great beer. It's a wonderful example of it's style, I'm just not a stout
fan. Does that make me a bad person, or should I feel stout drinkers
aren't up to snuff? Nay. If you like it, drink it, but don't say that
everything else is crap.
Why not tell us why you like something instead of bad-mouthing other's
views. Granted, American mass-produced beer is garbage, but if someone
likes it or is willing to drink it, what's wrong with that. I've spent
the last 16 years travelling around the world and I've found there are
good beers and bad beers everywhere.
Thank God I've spent a lot of time in the UK and Germany and was exposed
to some exceptional beers. Both places also have some godawful shite.
That's the glory of it, beer drinking is an experience. If everyone said
MoosePiss from Outer Slobovia was crap, and I was in Outer Slobovia, I'd
still try it, because that's all that's probably available. And if
something else was available, I'd STILL try MoosePiss, because if I didn't
I'd only have everyone else's opinion to go on.
Sorry, I've rambled long enough. Just go out and enjoy your beer,
whatever it may be.


Tim Z
There's no such thing as a bad beer, just terribly misunderstood ones.


Paul Hester

unread,
Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96
to


From Australia:

There is one exception to your argument:

The best cold beer is Vic, Victoria Bitter.

Known down under in Oz as Vitamin B!

Dave Budd

unread,
Nov 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/18/96
to

1. Agree with those saying you can't choose just one 'best beer'
(after all, you'd have to taste every single one to be sure.....)

2. Not into Guinness? Next party, have some somewhere cold, and about 04:00
when the stuff you usually drink is all gone and your mouth is getting a bit
rancid anyway, try it then. That's how I got turned onto it, and I've never
looked back.


My personal favourite (for some time now) is Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout,
but at present I'm hunting down as many UK brown ales as I can, and I have
to tell you guys, Newcastle Brown really isn't that good. If that's the
style you like, there are better ones, like Thwaites.

The Equalizer

unread,
Nov 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/18/96
to

In article <329057...@mcc.ac.uk>, Dave Budd <D.B...@mcc.ac.uk> wrote:

[snip]
-=>
-=> My personal favourite (for some time now) is Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout,
-=> but at present I'm hunting down as many UK brown ales as I can, and I have
-=> to tell you guys, Newcastle Brown really isn't that good. If that's the
-=> style you like, there are better ones, like Thwaites.

I just tried a bottle of the Smith's Oatmeal Stout this weekend. I like
Young's Oatmeal (a truly great UK brown in its own right!) and was looking
forward to this but after the first sip it seemes overly bitter. Is this
just the way it is or did I get some old beer (is there a date code on the
bottle somewhere?)? I hate to put down a beer on one bottle but for now I
will stick with Young's.

--
The Golden Rule:
He Who Has The Gold Makes The Rules.

R. Brent Evans

unread,
Nov 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/18/96
to The Equalizer

ss oatmeal stout does ROCK, as does young's o.s. and as far as
newcastle is concerned, i must concer. i used to drink that stuff like
one might drink water if one was dying of thirst. however, i have since
changed my opinion of newcastle and never drink it. back to ss, it is
soooo good (as all oatmeal (nectar of the gods) stouts are), i'm having
one right now. jealous?

monique

The Equalizer

unread,
Nov 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/19/96
to

In article <329107...@mail.premier.net>, "R. Brent Evans"
<r...@mail.premier.net> wrote:

-=> The Equalizer wrote:
-=> >
-=> > In article <329057...@mcc.ac.uk>, Dave Budd <D.B...@mcc.ac.uk> wrote:
-=> >
-=> > [snip]
-=> > -=>


-=> > -=> My personal favourite (for some time now) is Samuel Smith's
Oatmeal Stout,

-=> > -=> but at present I'm hunting down as many UK brown ales as I can,
and I have
-=> > -=> to tell you guys, Newcastle Brown really isn't that good. If
that's the
-=> > -=> style you like, there are better ones, like Thwaites.
-=> >
-=> > I just tried a bottle of the Smith's Oatmeal Stout this weekend. I like
-=> > Young's Oatmeal (a truly great UK brown in its own right!) and was looking
-=> > forward to this but after the first sip it seemes overly bitter. Is this
-=> > just the way it is or did I get some old beer (is there a date code on the
-=> > bottle somewhere?)? I hate to put down a beer on one bottle but for now I
-=> > will stick with Young's.
-=> >
-=> > --
-=> > The Golden Rule:
-=> > He Who Has The Gold Makes The Rules.
-=>
-=> ss oatmeal stout does ROCK, as does young's o.s. and as far as
-=> newcastle is concerned, i must concer. i used to drink that stuff like
-=> one might drink water if one was dying of thirst. however, i have since
-=> changed my opinion of newcastle and never drink it. back to ss, it is
-=> soooo good (as all oatmeal (nectar of the gods) stouts are), i'm having
-=> one right now. jealous?
-=>
-=> monique

yes! but what happened with newcastle? ever tried black dog lemon beer?
very different

--
Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.
Karen Kaiser Clark

del

unread,
Nov 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/22/96
to

In article <56eb1p$i...@cronkite.ocis.temple.edu>, Michael Mcgovern
<mmcg...@nimbus.temple.edu> writes
Which one Blue, Red or White ?
--
del

Dave Budd

unread,
Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96
to

right now I like the blue.

My taste changes daily though.

Robert BLACK

unread,
Nov 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/26/96
to

bukn...@aol.com wrote:

>... There are a LOT more styles, if anyone is interested I'd be


>happy to post a family tree of beer styles.

>Also, there is, in fact, a standardized evaluation for judging beer, not

>unlike wine. I could post that too if it would be helpful. ...

DO IT! It would be helpful and informative. Thanks!


Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages