New Ulm Beer

Paul Munnis

Dec 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/20/98
My candidate for the best beer in the USA is Schell's brewery at New
Ulm, Minnesota. They have several that I like: Alt (a dark brew),
Weitzen (a light pilsner with a light wheat taste to it), PILS, (Pilsner
of course), and Deer Brand which is only available during hunting
season). I wish on every reader of this note the good fortune to drink
some of this stuff. It's GREAT.

Sudsy Sipper

Kolsch Marzen

Dec 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/21/98
We used to buy Schell's Deer Brand Beer year 'round at the R&S Liquors in
Naperville, Illinois (now long gone). We paid, if I remember correctly,
$4.59 a case of 24 long neck returnable bottles.

As college students, we bought it because it was cheap, and we were broke.
The beer had a bubble gum aroma, a pale yellow color, and gave us the
worst case of the shits the next morning.One thing to be said for it- it
was the world's best "shower beer", next to Stroh's. "Shower beer" is a
beer you can drink warm the next morning while washing the stench from the
previous night's drunken stupor off your sorry ass body. Schells was great
for that.

We even called the brewery, and they sent us a couple of Schells hats (I
still have one around here somewhere), a couple of t-shirts, and some
information about the brewery. I remember there was a section about how
the Souix Indian Uprising of 1862 was caused, in part, by Schells beer.
The Indians raided the brewery, drank up all the beer, and went off to New
Ulm and massacred the townsfolk. Ya-hey, dere!

As for being a great beer, well, it better have improved one Hell of a lot
since those days, 15 years ago now.

By the way, Schell's Deer Brand used to be an excellent match at 3:00 A.M.
with Little Ceasar's pizza or a Macho Meat Burrito from Naugle's in
Bolingbrook, Ill. Some guys swore it went best with White Castle sliders-
I guess it was all a matter of taste!

Kolsch

--
"American Macrobrews Suck Ass"