InterNet Feed

Vincent Poy

Nov 26, 1992, 8:54:36 PM11/26/92
I'm looking for a "Free" InterNet Feed in the San Francisco Area with InterNet
Services or UseNet Newsgroups and E-mail at the very least... Any ideas?

Al Billings

Nov 27, 1992, 1:32:29 PM11/27/92
In article <vpoy...@terapin.com> vp...@terapin.com (Vincent Poy) writes:
>I'm looking for a "Free" InterNet Feed in the San Francisco Area with InterNet
>Services or UseNet Newsgroups and E-mail at the very least... Any ideas?

There aint no such thing as a free lunch

Angus MacPeevy

Nov 28, 1992, 4:41:43 PM11/28/92
mi...@hardy.u.washington.edu (Al Billings) writes:

> In article <vpoy...@terapin.com> vp...@terapin.com (Vincent Poy) writes:
> >I'm looking for a "Free" InterNet Feed in the San Francisco Area with InterN

> >Services or UseNet Newsgroups and E-mail at the very least... Any ideas?
>
> There aint no such thing as a free lunch

One hand washes the other.

--
"I'm not only the Hair Club president, but I'm also a client."
-Sy Sperling

Tom Lemos

Nov 30, 1992, 2:09:39 AM11/30/92
vp...@terapin.com (Vincent Poy) writes:

> I'm looking for a "Free" InterNet Feed in the San Francisco Area with InterNe

> Services or UseNet Newsgroups and E-mail at the very least... Any ideas?

can't give you a feed.. but you can get an account on my system.

T...@Spud.Kludge.COM Tater Tot Liberation Front-Free news & mail!
San Francisco,CA
"Jesus saves! He shoots! He scores! What a game!" +1.415.255.8340

Tom Lemos

Nov 30, 1992, 2:10:48 AM11/30/92
mi...@hardy.u.washington.edu (Al Billings) writes:

> In article <vpoy...@terapin.com> vp...@terapin.com (Vincent Poy) writes:
> >I'm looking for a "Free" InterNet Feed in the San Francisco Area with InterN

> >Services or UseNet Newsgroups and E-mail at the very least... Any ideas?
>
> There aint no such thing as a free lunch

oh yeah? I don't offer free feeds, but I do offer free access through my
little BBS.

Edward J. Branley

Nov 30, 1992, 10:02:06 AM11/30/92
t...@spud.kludge.com (Tom Lemos) writes:

> mi...@hardy.u.washington.edu (Al Billings) writes:
>
> > In article <vpoy...@terapin.com> vp...@terapin.com (Vincent Poy) writes:
> > >I'm looking for a "Free" InterNet Feed in the San Francisco Area with Inte

> > >Services or UseNet Newsgroups and E-mail at the very least... Any ideas?
> >
> > There aint no such thing as a free lunch
> >
> oh yeah? I don't offer free feeds, but I do offer free access through my
> little BBS.

And I offer free news/mail feeds here. There may be no such thing as a free
lunch on Internet services, however...

|Edward J. Branley ele...@mintir.new-orleans.la.us|
|Seashell Software, Metairie, LA +1-504-455-5087|

J. Steven Harrison

Nov 30, 1992, 8:54:25 PM11/30/92

We would be happy to feed anyone that wants to make the call to us free!

Just call voice to set up the parameters!

--
J. Steven Harrison, PhD. st...@jack.sns.com
45034 Imnaha Court Voice: (510)623-8651

Larry Snyder

Dec 1, 1992, 11:08:13 AM12/1/92
vp...@terapin.com (Vincent Poy) writes:

>I'm looking for a "Free" InterNet Feed in the San Francisco Area with InterNet
>Services or UseNet Newsgroups and E-mail at the very least...

Another taker. Everyone wants something for nothing.

He must run DOS!

--
Larry Snyder internet: la...@gator.rn.com
keeper of the Gator uucp: uunet!gator!larry

Vincent Poy

Dec 1, 1992, 2:10:32 AM12/1/92
In article <1992Nov27....@u.washington.edu>,
Yes, There is... But i just don't know how to contact the universities around
here...

Ralph Sims

Dec 2, 1992, 10:12:05 AM12/2/92
vp...@terapin.com (Vincent Poy) writes:

>Yes, There is... But i just don't know how to contact the universities around
>here...

Have you tried the telephone books? Have you tried driving over to
their campuses?

--
halcyon.com, Public Access Internet, Seattle, WA, +1 206 382 6245
P.O. Box 555, Grapeview, WA 98546-0555, USA

Vincent Poy

Dec 3, 1992, 3:30:53 AM12/3/92
In article <1992Dec1.0...@jack.sns.com>, st...@jack.sns.com (J. Steven
Sounds good too me... So do you have other InterNet services besides E-mail and
UseNet??

Vince

Tim Pozar

Dec 3, 1992, 11:50:18 PM12/3/92

Vincent (or whatever your name is, since I have seen you claim that
this is an alias), in order to schmooze an account at an University, enrole
in a computer science class and get an account. Another way would be to call
the Computer Science department and ask for a shell acoount. I belive that
your success would be not as great as enroling.

Seems that getting an account on a machine that is on UUCP and not
directly tied into the Internet would be greater. First thing that comes
to mind would be FidoNet BBSs. They are gated via UUCP/Internet gateways
and you can sometimes find a site that is pretty quick about sending and
receiving mail from the Internet.

The next option is to find free site running UNIX. There are a number
of them in the Bay Area. In the NIXPUB listing, I belive you will find at
least a half-a-dozen free sites for the Bay Area.

Finding a free account on a site tied into the Internet is a bit more
of a problem. With the cost of plugging into the Internet much higher than
bringing up a site that just runs UUCP, you will find that corporations
and universities may be your only chance. With the concept of coopertive
Internet networks like The Little Garden, the cost of pluging into the
Internet will be much cheaper. I imagine that there will be more and more
Internet connected sites giving away free acounts in the coming years.

Tim

--
Internet: po...@kumr.lns.com FidoNet: Tim Pozar @ 1:125/555
UUCP: ...!uunet!kumr.lns.com!pozar

Tim Pozar

Dec 3, 1992, 11:58:14 PM12/3/92
vp...@terapin.com (Vincent Poy) writes:
>In article <1992Nov27....@u.washington.edu>,
>mi...@hardy.u.washington.edu (Al Billings) writes:
>>In article <vpoy...@terapin.com> vp...@terapin.com (Vincent Poy) writes:
>>>
>>>I'm looking for a "Free" InterNet Feed in the San Francisco Area with InterNet
>>>Services or UseNet Newsgroups and E-mail at the very least... Any ideas?
>>
>> There aint no such thing as a free lunch
>
>Yes, There is... But i just don't know how to contact the universities around
>here...

So far all of the sites that have offered Vincent a free acount are
UUCP only. They are not connected to the Internet.

Hmmm, I'm curious too...

Are there any Internet connected sites in the Bay Area that is willing to
give a FREE shell account to an anonymous user?

Larry Snyder

Dec 5, 1992, 9:27:24 AM12/5/92
po...@kumr.lns.com (Tim Pozar) writes:

>Internet will be much cheaper. I imagine that there will be more and more
>Internet connected sites giving away free acounts in the coming years.

I would hope so. We provide access to our machine which is directly
on the internet through the BBS only as we want to maintain some control
over what is going on over our connection.

Once we move back home to Florida, we plan to offer shell accounts
(with access into the internet) -- but we still have many details to
work out.

Larry Snyder

Dec 5, 1992, 9:29:21 AM12/5/92
po...@kumr.lns.com (Tim Pozar) writes:

>Are there any Internet connected sites in the Bay Area that is willing to
>give a FREE shell account to an anonymous user?

I would really doubt it. I costs money to get connected to the internet,
and to allow a complete strange access to those resouces for free would
be a out of touch. Now, I assume there are pay internet dialups in
the bay area -- usually you get what you pay for.

Tim Pozar

Dec 8, 1992, 12:20:12 AM12/8/92
la...@gator.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>po...@kumr.lns.com (Tim Pozar) writes:
>>Are there any Internet connected sites in the Bay Area that is willing to
>>give a FREE shell account to an anonymous user?
>
>I would really doubt it. I costs money to get connected to the internet,
>and to allow a complete strange access to those resouces for free would
>be a out of touch. Now, I assume there are pay internet dialups in
>the bay area -- usually you get what you pay for.
>
>Larry Snyder internet: la...@gator.rn.com

Thank you Larry. I am well aware of the costs involved of having an
Internet drop. (I have and pay for a full time drop to my house.) But
this doesn't exclude some poor soul out there from offering shell accounts
to anyone that wants one.

So far one person that was on the Internet has told me that they used to
offer acounts. Anyone currently?

Vincent Poy

Dec 6, 1992, 10:39:08 PM12/6/92
In article <1992Dec2.1...@nwnexus.WA.COM>, ral...@halcyon.com (Ralph
Yes, I did but which department do I talk to about the feed...

Ralph Sims

Dec 9, 1992, 12:50:18 AM12/9/92
vp...@terapin.com (Vincent Poy) writes:

>>>Yes, There is... But i just don't know how to contact the universities around
>>>here...

>>Have you tried the telephone books? Have you tried driving over to
>>their campuses?

>Yes, I did but which department do I talk to about the feed...

Ummm... computer, possibly?

--
halcyon.com, Public Access Internet, Seattle, WA, +1 206 382 6245

"A World of Information at your Fingertips"

Vincent Poy

Dec 11, 1992, 5:11:05 PM12/11/92
In article <1992Dec8.0...@kumr.lns.com>, po...@kumr.lns.com (Tim Pozar)
writes:
Hmmm, Tim...
Just don't understand parts of it.... How much does it cost for an InterNet
Drop and also how does FidoNet offer the UUCP Email and Newsgroups for free
when it costs you money? Sorry about this but just need more knowledge on the
UNIX stuff...

SEGAL, DAVID JAY

Dec 11, 1992, 10:12:00 PM12/11/92
{Thank you Larry. I am well aware of the costs involved of having an

{Internet drop. (I have and pay for a full time drop to my house.) But
{this doesn't exclude some poor soul out there from offering shell accounts
{to anyone that wants one.
{

Right for sure. Check out PDaXs in Oregon. They let you e-mail and
post/read usenet news for free. More features for a price. I realize
this is not exactly what you want or where you want it, but it should
be encouraging.

- Dave Segal
- Biochemistry, U. of Utah.

Larry Snyder

Dec 12, 1992, 10:51:42 AM12/12/92

Most of the sites directly on the internet charge for accounts -- to
recover their expenses. Tim pays a hefty fee for an internet connections
to his house (I have no idea for the telco charges -- but the connection here
includes a leased line of 156 miles on top of the network charges)

On the other hand, I would venture to say that most of those sites who charge
offer a better connected, more reliable system to it's members -- since there
is that additional obligation of maintaining the machine. Our machines are
up all the time, except for hardware (and kernel changes) with downtime running
maybe 2 hours every 2-3 months.

Carlos Dominguez

Dec 12, 1992, 9:10:34 AM12/12/92
vp...@terapin.com (Vincent Poy) asks..

> Just don't understand parts of it.... How much does it cost for an InterNet
> Drop and also how does FidoNet offer the UUCP Email and Newsgroups for free
> when it costs you money? Sorry about this but just need more knowledge on the
> UNIX stuff...

Although I don't know specifics, Sysops of FIDO systems must pay a fee yearly
and help with their net's phone expenses for picking up the multitude of
conferences..

A few very gracious people have set themselves up as gateways, ie: transfer
points between FIDO and Internet for News and EMail..

Bottom line is... there ain't a free lunch, but some people are willing
to treat. :)
--
___ ___ __ . ___ __ // Carlos Dominguez, MS-DOS Enthusiast !
/ /__/ /_ ) / / / /_ // | car...@infoserv.com car...@dorsai.com

Edward J. Branley

Dec 12, 1992, 1:47:37 PM12/12/92
vp...@terapin.com (Vincent Poy) writes:

> Just don't understand parts of it.... How much does it cost for an InterNe

> Drop and also how does FidoNet offer the UUCP Email and Newsgroups for free
> when it costs you money? Sorry about this but just need more knowledge on the
> UNIX stuff...

Fidonet offers free UUCP email because there are many sysops across the country
who have Internet or UUCP connections and are willing to serve as gateways
between Internet and Fidonet. When I was a gateway, I had systems calling from
as far away as the West Coast to pick up news gated into echomail. Some of
them charged fees for their users to access gated news, others just picked it
up on their own dime. Since I don't pay for my uucp feed, didn't have a
problem with offering to hold mail for others to pick up.

Mail is a bit of a different story. The default gateway systems can get really
clogged up with mail when they're handling routing for literally hundreds of
nodes. Unless a Fidonet local net has its own gateway, the average user most
likely won't be able to subscribe to mailing lists, or use features like
ftpmail, etc. The traffic would kill the gateways.

Larry Snyder

Dec 12, 1992, 4:25:01 PM12/12/92
car...@infoserv.com (Carlos Dominguez) writes:

>Although I don't know specifics, Sysops of FIDO systems must pay a fee yearly
>and help with their net's phone expenses for picking up the multitude of
>conferences..

It isn't a Must -- those in a specific region who want access to
their "echomail" conferences usually are forced to share expenses
to bring the conferences into the area -- or the SYSOP can opt to
bring it in themselves ---

>A few very gracious people have set themselves up as gateways, ie: transfer
>points between FIDO and Internet for News and EMail..

And usenet usually absorbs the results of these gates in the form of
duplicates with different ID's and the wrong conference in the wrong
newsgroup

Carlos Dominguez

Dec 13, 1992, 10:01:57 AM12/13/92
la...@gator.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes in alt.bbs ..

> And usenet usually absorbs the results of these gates in the form of
> duplicates with different ID's and the wrong conference in the wrong
> newsgroup

.. True, but it allows a big part of the computing community to
be able to participate in usenet, who normally wouldn't even try.

Although you may have a bias towards Fidonet, it serves an
important purpose, linking people all over for news and mail.
---

Tim Pozar

Dec 13, 1992, 2:16:35 AM12/13/92
la...@gator.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>car...@infoserv.com (Carlos Dominguez) writes:
>>A few very gracious people have set themselves up as gateways, ie: transfer
>>points between FIDO and Internet for News and EMail..
>
>And usenet usually absorbs the results of these gates in the form of
>duplicates with different ID's and the wrong conference in the wrong
>newsgroup

You should see how many newsgroup dupes I get from Internet and UUCP
sites. Sheesh!

Tim Pozar

Dec 13, 1992, 2:12:35 AM12/13/92
vp...@terapin.com (Vincent Poy) writes:
>Hmmm, Tim...
> Just don't understand parts of it.... How much does it cost for an InterNet
>Drop and also how does FidoNet offer the UUCP Email and Newsgroups for free
>when it costs you money? Sorry about this but just need more knowledge on the
>UNIX stuff...

My Internet drop costs me about $70/month.
I pass on the UUCP/Internet mail and Newsgroups to my FidoNet BBS. I
do not pass the charges on. In effect, this traffic takes a portion of my
Internet "pipe" and costs me via hardware and software up-keep, as well as
rent for the site and electricty to power it all. It is _not_ free.
Hmmm, come to think about it, why am I doing this? I must be insane.

"Crazy" Tim

J. Steven Harrison

Dec 20, 1992, 4:19:17 AM12/20/92

Come on Tim an internet connection for $70/month?

If you're going to make wild statements like this let's qualify them.
You might have a service that handles MX-Mail Forwarding to you and let's
you get news but that is certainly not an internet "drop"

Tim Pozar

Dec 20, 1992, 12:29:16 PM12/20/92
st...@jack.sns.com (J. Steven Harrison) writes:
>In article <1992Dec13.0...@kumr.lns.com> po...@kumr.lns.com (Tim Pozar) writes:
>>vp...@terapin.com (Vincent Poy) writes:
>>>Just don't understand parts of it.... How much does it cost for an InterNet
>>>Drop and also how does FidoNet offer the UUCP Email and Newsgroups for free
>>>when it costs you money? Sorry about this but just need more knowledge on the
>>>UNIX stuff...
>>
>> My Internet drop costs me about $70/month.
>
>Come on Tim an internet connection for $70/month?
Yup.

>If you're going to make wild statements like this let's qualify them.
>You might have a service that handles MX-Mail Forwarding to you and let's
>you get news but that is certainly not an internet "drop"
>

>J. Steven Harrison, PhD. st...@jack.sns.com

Nope. Full-time Internet feed. You can try it. Anon ftp into
kumr.lns.com.
If you want more information on the feed, send mail to
Tom.Je...@f111.n125.z1.fidonet.org.

Tim

--
Internet: po...@kumr.lns.com FidoNet: Tim Pozar @ 1:125/555

Mark Rippa

Dec 20, 1992, 7:54:39 PM12/20/92
In a message dated Sun 20 Dec 92 12:22, Po...@kumr.lns.com (tim Pozar)
wrote:

TP> My Internet drop costs me about $70/month.

>> Come on Tim an internet connection for $70/month?

TP> Yup.

TP> Nope. Full-time Internet feed. You can try it. Anon ftp into
TP> kumr.lns.com.
TP> If you want more information on the feed, send mail to
TP> Tom.Je...@f111.n125.z1.fidonet.org.

Well, I wrote you for more information but it appears from your post that I
asked the wrong person. I did telnet and ftp to your site and indeed it is
on the Internet. Perhaps you could summarize the main points of getting
started, initial expenses involved and what type of computer equipment you
are using.
Thanks.

Mark

-- Via DLG Pro v0.995

Amiga GateWay BBS Internet: mark_...@agwbbs.new-orleans.LA.US
Fido: 1:396/36.0 Usenet: rex!agwbbs!mark_rippa

Vincent Poy

Dec 22, 1992, 2:51:19 PM12/22/92
In article <1992Dec20....@kumr.lns.com>, po...@kumr.lns.com (Tim Pozar)
writes:
Yes, I tried it and you had ftp alright.... Didn't know it only costed
$70/month... What kind of connection do you use? SLIP or T1? I always thought
InterNet was $20,000 to setup and like $2,000 each month..... Atleast that's
what the people on IRC told me...

Vince

Willard Dawson

Dec 22, 1992, 4:54:08 PM12/22/92
po...@kumr.lns.com (Tim Pozar) writes:

>J. Steven Harrison, PhD. st...@jack.sns.com writes:

>>If you're going to make wild statements like this let's qualify them.
>>You might have a service that handles MX-Mail Forwarding to you and let's
>>you get news but that is certainly not an internet "drop"
>>
>>J. Steven Harrison, PhD. st...@jack.sns.com

> Nope. Full-time Internet feed. You can try it. Anon ftp into
>kumr.lns.com.

What, pray tell, is an "Internet feed" ?? Perhaps you really mean an
Usenet feed?

--
Willard Dawson, BellSouth Advanced Networks, 1100 Johnson Ferry Road, Ste. 880
Atlanta, GA 30342, Voice: +1 404 303 2343, UUCP: gatech!vdbsan!hobbes!dawson

Tim Pozar

Dec 23, 1992, 12:06:55 PM12/23/92
daw...@hobbes.bsan.bls.com (Willard Dawson) writes:
>po...@kumr.lns.com (Tim Pozar) writes:
>
>>J. Steven Harrison, PhD. st...@jack.sns.com writes:
>
>>>If you're going to make wild statements like this let's qualify them.
>>>You might have a service that handles MX-Mail Forwarding to you and let's
>>>you get news but that is certainly not an internet "drop"
>>>
>>>J. Steven Harrison, PhD. st...@jack.sns.com
>
>> Nope. Full-time Internet feed. You can try it. Anon ftp into
>>kumr.lns.com.
>
>What, pray tell, is an "Internet feed" ?? Perhaps you really mean an
>Usenet feed?

It would be tough to ftp into a USENET feed. :-)

I have an Internet drop at home via V.32bis/V.42bis slip. Basicly we take a
full T1 feed from an IP provider with a class B address and subdivide the
feed down via KA9Q and commercial routers and dial up slip lines. The class
B address gets subneted to an 8 bit subnet where each user of this
orginization will get one 8 bit subnet to add up to ~254 machines to their
local net.

This effort is located in the San Francisco Bay Area. If you are
interested in getting more info, write:
Tom.Je...@f111.n125.z1.fidonet.org

August Abolins

Dec 25, 1992, 9:48:07 AM12/25/92
daw...@hobbes.bsan.bls.com (Willard Dawson) writes:

> >J. Steven Harrison, PhD. st...@jack.sns.com writes:
>
> > If you want more information on the feed, send mail to
> >Tom.Je...@f111.n125.z1.fidonet.org.

He can still be reached at @f1.n1.z1.fidonet.org too, right?

--- /|ugust /|bolins ---------------------[ abo...@visavis.cam.org ]---

Tim Pozar

Dec 25, 1992, 8:04:29 PM12/25/92

No. This was changed about a month ago. Best to try the f111.n125
address.

Willard Dawson

Dec 28, 1992, 9:52:00 AM12/28/92
po...@kumr.lns.com (Tim Pozar) writes:

>daw...@hobbes.bsan.bls.com (Willard Dawson) writes:
>>
>>What, pray tell, is an "Internet feed" ?? Perhaps you really mean an
>>Usenet feed?
>
>It would be tough to ftp into a USENET feed. :-)

I still take exception to the use of the phrase "Internet feed." Perhaps
that did not come across in my initial follow-up. But, as you noticed, I did
overlook your mention of ftp, which to me (as it should) indicates something
greater than a "feed." Perhaps I'm being just a tad pedantic?

>I have an Internet drop at home via V.32bis/V.42bis slip. Basicly we take a
>full T1 feed from an IP provider with a class B address and subdivide the
>feed down via KA9Q and commercial routers and dial up slip lines. The class
>B address gets subneted to an 8 bit subnet where each user of this
>orginization will get one 8 bit subnet to add up to ~254 machines to their
>local net.
>
>This effort is located in the San Francisco Bay Area. If you are
>interested in getting more info, write:
> Tom.Je...@f111.n125.z1.fidonet.org
>
> Tim
>
>--
> Internet: po...@kumr.lns.com FidoNet: Tim Pozar @ 1:125/555
>Snail: Tim Pozar / KKSF / 77 Maiden Lane / San Francisco CA 94108 / USA
> Voice: +1 415 788 2022

J. Steven Harrison

Jan 2, 1993, 12:41:36 AM1/2/93

As usual being mis-quoted again by some moron.

I did not write any comments about Tom Jennings!

And my address has been ( for 12 years ) and will continue to be

--

J. Steven Harrison, PhD. st...@jack.sns.com