Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For High-Latency Communication

SugarBug

Jan 20, 2024, 11:34:34 AMJan 20
If I were to have a goal here, it is to find simple primitives that can
interoperate for sending text messages and small files (mostly
plaintext and zipped scripts and PDF) across different networks, with
high latency as an option just in case it is needed. Censorship
avoidance would be a priority. Any system or tool would fit the bill if
such can be integrated with others to assist in this goal. Any
imaginative use of tools and techs is of interest to me for
brainstorming.

I want to try installing a BBS system on a Debian Bookworm Linux server.
I want to tinker a bit and see if it is something I would like to
integrate into my comms chain. I want to start with something simple to
get a feel for the ecosystem, how BBS systems communicate with other
servers and with clients, how they handle different nets like Fidonet,
Dovenet, Usenet, how to integrate them with UUCP and NNCP, and other
synchronization or forwarding protocols. Since there is so much under
the hood of the BBS ecosystem I want to start simple. Retro software is
a boon, however I would consider newer tools.

Which BBS software package is the simplest to install and configure?

Which is the most useful package(s)?

Which would be best for integrating a NNTP gateway to Rocksolid Light?

Which has the best user menu interface in terminal?

What is the best user clients available for Linux?

What other considerations, tools, and protocols should I be thinking
about?

Please note the Followup-To for newsgroup alt.bbs.

--
CRYP7010G3R | Don't bark. Bite! | Don't beg. Hunt! | 4477 | 7766
<7adf83fb37f311ab299e33d99688f7f4$1...@sybershock.com>

yemektarifi

Jan 21, 2024, 9:05:49 AMJan 21
https://lezzethanem.com/tatli-tarifleri/ Yemek Tarifleri ile çok kolay! Dilerseniz yemek tarifleri gönderebilir, arkadaşlarınızı davet edip takip edebilirsiniz.

phigan

Jan 22, 2024, 2:52:05 AMJan 22
On 2024-01-20, SugarBug <38...@sugar.bug> wrote:

> Which BBS software package is the simplest to install and configure?
>
> Which is the most useful package(s)?
>
> Which would be best for integrating a NNTP gateway to Rocksolid Light?
>
> Which has the best user menu interface in terminal?

I think the answer to most of your questions is Synchronet.

> What is the best user clients available for Linux?

Syncterm

> What other considerations, tools, and protocols should I be thinking
> about?

People seem to like Muffinterm on Mac and iOS. Really, any terminal that
you can configure with CP437 emulation and VGA font is good for BBSing.
Synchronet also supports UTF-8, though.

Mystic is another modern BBS software, but I don't think it has the NNTP
connectivity out of the box.

Go for other BBS software when you want to do something different. There
are plenty out there, but not all of them are still in development and
not all will do what you want.. At least they'll look different, though.

Marc Lewis

Feb 20, 2024, 11:51:52 PMFeb 20
+ User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
Hello All.

<On 19Jan2024 22:29 SugarBug wrote a message to All regarding Questions For
Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For High-La >

[snip]
S> Which BBS software package is the simplest to install and configure?

S> Which is the most useful package(s)?

Without a doubt it would be Synchronet software. Freeware nd constantly being
developed and improved.

S> Which would be best for integrating a NNTP gateway to Rocksolid
S> Light?

There again, the current version (I belive it is 3.20) of Synchronet
incorporates virtually everything including a built in interface to a newsgroup
server.

S> Which has the best user menu interface in terminal?

Again, Synchronet.

S> What is the best user clients available for Linux?

Ditto.

S> What other considerations, tools, and protocols should I be thinking
S> about?

So may are built into the software, few others are needed.

Best regards,
Marc

.. Call a BBS and help deminish the awesome effects of Internetitus.
+ The FidoNet News Gate (Huntsville, AL - USA) +
+ The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +

---