Hi All

Shane Hill

Oct 16, 2020, 4:24:09 AM10/16/20
Not a lot of activity here. I ran a WWIV BBS in the early 90's, Reura
Pente' out of Lakeport, CA. I used a variety of machines, primarly my
flagship 486SX-25, but it ended on an IBM XT, which I'm using now to write
this post. I'd be interested in hearing other stories from those who ran
WWIV during the golden years before the Internet took over.

-Shane
www.decisionconcepts.com

Tim Radde

Jul 25, 2021, 3:56:59 PM7/25/21
I ran a WWIV board up in Pennsylvania for a few years. Later moved it to PCBoard which I now think was a bad move. It started on a 386
and later moved to a 486. Ran it under OS/2 so I had the virtual modem that would allow users to dial out to the new Internet. I miss those
days as it was lots of fun. Even had it hooked up to WWIVNet and FidoNet.

Dumas Walker

Jul 27, 2021, 11:40:13 PM7/27/21
+ User FidoNet address: 1:2320/105
>I ran a WWIV board up in Pennsylvania for a few years. Later moved it to
PCBoa
>d which I now think was a bad move. It started on a 386
>and later moved to a 486. Ran it under OS/2 so I had the virtual modem that
wo
>ld allow users to dial out to the new Internet. I miss those
>days as it was lots of fun. Even had it hooked up to WWIVNet and FidoNet.

WWIV is still in development, and both networks are still around, if you
ever get the urge again. :)

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * I didn't do it nobody saw me you can't prove anything!
+ The FidoNet News Gate (Huntsville, AL - USA) +
+ The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +

---

Tim Radde

Aug 11, 2022, 6:32:08 PM8/11/22
I could never get the latest WWIV to compile properly under Linux. I worked at it, but no
go. Kept getting some weird errors. I'd install the missing packages, but still no go. Don't
remember the details but something with CMake. The binaries ran fine on Windows, but
I don't run Windows much now. Prefer Linux. So I installed an SBBS system and it runs fine.
But have no desire to stick it on the Internet just now.

phi...@bbs.penisys.cf

Nov 11, 2022, 8:33:31 PM11/11/22
Tim Radde wrote:
> I could never get the latest WWIV to compile properly under Linux. I worked
> at it, but no
> go. Kept getting some weird errors. I'd install the missing packages, but
> still no go. Don't

Maybe give it another go some time. I'm running it on Linux, and there was
just an update the other day for some fixes.

Tim Radde

Nov 12, 2022, 10:14:13 PM11/12/22
Thanks. Good to know you are running it on Linux. Which distro? I have Kubuntu
installed. It seemed to be something to do with their Make tool they were using. I normally
just use normal Make. Never used that one. It gave some weird errors that I don't remember
now. Seems like something was missing or just not set right. Usually I can figure things
like this out as I am a retired programmer. I should give it a try and if it still happens I can
post the errors here. Maybe someone will have suggestions.

p...@mybox.or.yourbox.org

Nov 16, 2022, 1:23:38 PM11/16/22
Tim Radde wrote:
> I could never get the latest WWIV to compile properly under Linux. I worked at it, but no
> go. Kept getting some weird errors. I'd install the missing packages, but still no go. Don't
> remember the details but something with CMake. The binaries ran fine on Windows, but

Try it again! Works well.

Tim Radde

Nov 17, 2022, 12:12:44 PM11/17/22
Back then I had an Ubuntu2004 5.8.0.3600 version (tar file). Now I downloaded a Debian version
5.8.0.3608 (tar file). There is no Ubuntu version showing, but Ubuntu is based off of Debian so will
try this the next time I get on that machine.

Tim Radde

Dec 11, 2022, 7:09:19 PM12/11/22
Just installed the provided Debian binaries and so far looks Ok. I will attempt to compile eventually if I feel the need.