wwiv 5.0

dilbert firestorm

Apr 14, 2016, 9:45:26 PM4/14/16
I can't believe you guys are still working on wwiv 5.0 after the release
of 4.24 17 years ago.

--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me

Mark Hofmann

Apr 15, 2016, 7:48:53 AM4/15/16

df> I can't believe you guys are still working on wwiv 5.0 after the
df> release
df> of 4.24 17 years ago.

Not to mention, we have a fully functional WWIVnet with a great group
of people/systems that have joined.

Some things have changed - for the better, but we are still rolling
along.

- Mark

dilbert firestorm

Apr 15, 2016, 9:55:42 AM4/15/16
I read the newsletter.

was it really necessary to eliminate support for modems?

Arcade Master #1 @62

Apr 15, 2016, 1:25:49 PM4/15/16

RE: Re: wwiv 5.0
BY: dilbert firestorm <sca...@bytemei-55.com>

Just curious, how many bbses use a modem? I thought that the way of the
modems were getting more scarce. We have an old XP machine, that is
unfortunately a proprietary faxing server for our hospital, and it was like
pulling teeth to find the correct type. There was always an option for
external, but there was still an issue finding them quickly.

Arcade Master
thearcade.darktech.org

<--> The Blood Stone BBS - Telnet/HTTP www.bsbbs.com <-->
\/ WWIVnet 1@707 \/

Jimmy Mac

Apr 15, 2016, 6:28:23 PM4/15/16

RE: wwiv 5.0
BY: dilbert firestorm <sca...@bytemei-55.com>

df> I can't believe you guys are still working on wwiv 5.0 after the release
df> of 4.24 17 years ago.

The Dev team was given time off for wickedly bad behavior ;-)

WWIV is alive and well and growing!
:-)

Jimmy Mac

Apr 15, 2016, 6:28:51 PM4/15/16

RE: Re: wwiv 5.0
BY: dilbert firestorm <sca...@bytemei-55.com>

df> was it really necessary to eliminate support for modems?

Since the code to support modems hasn't worked in v5.0, there was no reason to
keep it in.

I would love to see modem support but honestly, how many users would use it?

Jimmy Mac

Apr 15, 2016, 6:29:18 PM4/15/16

RE: Re: wwiv 5.0
BY: Arcade Master #1 @62

AM> Just curious, how many bbses use a modem? I thought that the way of the
AM> modems were getting more scarce. We have an old XP machine, that is
AM> unfortunately a proprietary faxing server for our hospital, and it was
AM> like pulling teeth to find the correct type. There was always an option
AM> for external, but there was still an issue finding them quickly.

Looking at the list of active BBS's, there are actually more than I expected.
Even some C64 BBS's!

dilbert firestorm

Apr 16, 2016, 6:34:50 AM4/16/16
On 4/15/2016 3:27 PM, Jimmy Mac wrote:
> RE: Re: wwiv 5.0
> BY: dilbert firestorm <sca...@bytemei-55.com>
>
> df> was it really necessary to eliminate support for modems?
>
> Since the code to support modems hasn't worked in v5.0, there was no reason to
> keep it in.
>
> I would love to see modem support but honestly, how many users would use it?

a better question is how many have dsl or cable service. I would think
not that many.

Internet under those 2 services is around 30-40 million last I heard.

I have to admit that a lot of people are cutting out the POTS line since
getting a cell phone. I don't know the numbers for that one tho. prolly
more than 50 million.

Jimmy Mac

Apr 16, 2016, 8:26:18 AM4/16/16

RE: Re: wwiv 5.0
BY: dilbert firestorm <sca...@bytemei-55.com>

df> a better question is how many have dsl or cable service. I would think
df> not that many.
df> Internet under those 2 services is around 30-40 million last I heard.

Good point, sometimes it's easy to forget the rural areas where neither are
available, and some third world countries where broadband hasn't yet been made
affordable.

Mark Hofmann

Apr 16, 2016, 5:28:02 PM4/16/16

df> I read the newsletter.
df>
df> was it really necessary to eliminate support for modems?

When you could use a Synchronet program called SexPots to allow modem
support in any BBS, there was really no need to keep it locally in the
application.

You can still run an analog modem with WWIV if you wish using SexPots.

- Mark

dilbert firestorm

Apr 17, 2016, 6:49:17 AM4/17/16
never heard of sexpots. I guess that makes sense if you have a separate
addon as a feature.

interesting name tho.

Granitepenguin #1 @90

Apr 17, 2016, 2:55:43 PM4/17/16

RE: Re: wwiv 5.0
BY: dilbert firestorm <sca...@bytemei-55.com>

df> never heard of sexpots. I guess that makes sense if you have a separate
df> addon as a feature.
df> interesting name tho.

An (un)fortunate side-effect of the acronym for:
Synchronet External Plain Old Telephone System

:-)

--
GranitePenguin
GranitePenguin

Jimmy Mac

Apr 17, 2016, 2:55:57 PM4/17/16

RE: Re: wwiv 5.0
BY: NOSPAM.ma...@weather-station.org (Mark

M> You can still run an analog modem with WWIV if you wish using SexPots.

Have you tried this in a VM? ESXi or Hyper-V?

WEATHERMAN

Apr 18, 2016, 8:22:40 AM4/18/16

JM> Have you tried this in a VM? ESXi or Hyper-V?

I have never tried using it and don't really know much about it. I
don't see any reason why it wouldn't work in a VM.

I have a serial device connected to my ESXi cluster via a
serial<->ethernet terminal server, and it works just great.

- Mark

Robert Wolfe

Aug 20, 2020, 8:43:59 AM8/20/20
+ User FidoNet address: 1:116/18
On 14 Jun 2020, Jimmy Mac said the following...

JM> From: "Jimmy Mac" <blood...@bsbbs.remove.com>
JM>
JM>
JM> RE: Re: wwiv 5.0
JM> BY: dilbert firestorm <sca...@bytemei-55.com>
JM>
JM> df> was it really necessary to eliminate support for modems?
JM>
JM> Since the code to support modems hasn't worked in v5.0, there was no
JM> reason to keep it in.

You could always use SEXPOTS by Rob Swindell which is a dialup to telnet
gateway of sorts. I've run it before and it works quite well.
+ The FidoNet News Gate (Huntsville, AL - USA) +
+ The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +

---

Dumas Walker

Aug 20, 2020, 3:26:02 PM8/20/20
+ User FidoNet address: 1:2320/105
> You could always use SEXPOTS by Rob Swindell which is a dialup to telnet
> gateway of sorts. I've run it before and it works quite well.

A actually wanted to try to use SEXPOTS (or something like it) to hand off
to BinkleyTerm (or a compatable substitute) and then, if it is a BBS
caller, continue to Synchronet.

SEXPOTS, from what I can tell, only hands off to a package that can accept
telnet connections. I could not find any internet mailers that would hand
off "a call" to a BBS package if it turned out to be human.

So, I could only figure out how to get it to do one or the other but not both.

* SLMR 2.1a * Acid bath? You're soaking in it...

Robert Wolfe

Aug 25, 2020, 6:14:00 PM8/25/20
+ User FidoNet address: 1:116/18
-=> Dumas Walker wrote to Warp 4 <=-

> You could always use SEXPOTS by Rob Swindell which is a dialup to telnet
> gateway of sorts. I've run it before and it works quite well.

DW> A actually wanted to try to use SEXPOTS (or something like it) to hand
DW> off to BinkleyTerm (or a compatable substitute) and then, if it is a
DW> BBS caller, continue to Synchronet.

DW> SEXPOTS, from what I can tell, only hands off to a package that can
DW> accept telnet connections. I could not find any internet mailers that
DW> would hand off "a call" to a BBS package if it turned out to be human.

DW> So, I could only figure out how to get it to do one or the other but
DW> not both.

Yeah, if you wanted to use binkley, you would need to probably use
Netserial and a FOSSIL driver. To pass off a call to the BBS, you would
probably have to use something like the DOS version of WWIV.

.. MultiMail, the new multi-platform, multi-format offline reader!
___ MultiMail/Win v0.52

Dumas Walker

Aug 26, 2020, 11:38:04 AM8/26/20
+ User FidoNet address: 1:2320/105
> Yeah, if you wanted to use binkley, you would need to probably use
> Netserial and a FOSSIL driver. To pass off a call to the BBS, you would
> probably have to use something like the DOS version of WWIV.

I guess I was wondering if there was an internet-compatable mailer, with a
linux version, that would pick up the phone call and pass it to an
internet-compatable, linux based BBS if it turned out to be a human.

Sounds like "no." :)

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * HaHaHa! Yuk, Yuk. Snort. Harumph.