Forbidden Lands 2 (Book II): The Vale of Grimyre

blixel

Sep 11, 2011, 5:08:32 AM9/11/11
I dug out all my old MBBS stuff recently (v5.31 era) and got the basic
system up and running in a dosbox in no time. I wanted to get
Forbidden Lands 2 working, and at first I thought it was going to be
hopeless because I couldn't get the old Phar Lap DOS memory extender
to work correctly in dosbox. But after spending a *LOT* of time going
through the LTBBS.LNK file, I was able to get out enough modules to
make Forbidden Lands 2 run in real mode.

I saved my efforts here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HZBN74TT

It's so awesome to see that old game again. Me and a couple friends
have spent several hours playing it again. Thanks to dosbox, they are
able to telnet in.

Unfortunately, there are a few problems. For some odd reason, after
someone telnets in, if they then log off and close their client, they
can't get back on. For some reason, the port associated with that
channel becomes dead. The only way we've been able to fix this is by
shutting down the BBS, exiting out of dosbox, and restarting the BBS.

I'd like to solve that problem.

But whether I can solve that problem or not ... the main reason for my
post here is to find out if anyone knows if Forbidden Lands 2 will run
on the newer versions of the MBBS. I believe 6.25 can be made to work
with telnet can't it? I know Worldgroup 3.3 can. WG 3.3 installs
easily under Windows XP and telnet "just works."

But whereas I am a bit of an MBBS 5.xx "expert" ... I haven't the
fainest idea where to begin with the newer versions. It seems like
everything is radically different.

So my question here is ... can Forbidden Lands 2 be made to work with
WG 3.3? (Or perhaps 6.25 ... and if it can work with 6.25, how do you
make 6.25 work with telnet?)

And as long as I'm on the topic, does anyone anyone know where to get
Forbidden Lands 3 (Book III): The Islands of Dawn? I never had a
chance to play that one back in the day, so I'd love to check it out
now that I have all this stuff set up and working again.

blixel

Sep 13, 2011, 4:28:17 AM9/13/11
On Sep 11, 5:08 am, blixel <bli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's so awesome to see that old game again. Me and a couple friends
> have spent several hours playing it again. Thanks to dosbox, they are
> able to telnet in.
>
> Unfortunately, there are a few problems.

After posting this message, someone contacted me and let me know how
to fix the connection problem I was having. (A thousand thanks to that
person.) I decided to re-roll the package so other people wouldn't
have to experience my frustration. (If anyone else is inclined to
check this out.) This new package also includes a couple of logic bugs
I found in the Lands 2 game.

I made the new package available in two variations. The preferred
variation includes a module that enables the use of Global commands
within the game. But if for some reason you can't "afford" the extra
memory usage, then use the other variation which excludes the globals
module.

With Globals: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IQBY3XS6

Without Globals: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QUJZDJHL

Enjoy.

blixel

Aug 7, 2013, 3:01:25 AM8/7/13
> I made the new package available in two variations. The preferred
> variation includes a module that enables the use of Global commands
> within the game. But if for some reason you can't "afford" the extra
> memory usage, then use the other variation which excludes the globals
> module.
>
> With Globals: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IQBY3XS6 (R.I.P. Megaupload)
> Without Globals: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QUJZDJHL (R.I.P. Megaupload)

I just thought I'd come back to this thread (2 years later) and update these links now that Megaupload is long dead.

The Forbidden Lands 2 packages I made can be downloaded from my dropbox instead.

With Globals: http://db.tt/wkqEKWEQ
Without Globals: http://db.tt/48D5PohO

mrbrad

Aug 7, 2013, 5:20:27 AM8/7/13
yeah not much going on I should as least try to get the lost gonzo and
nostolgia bbs up internally at my house in the vain attempt that once
that is done...i'd maybe be motivated to put the bbs out in the world
again but alas seems unlikely i did download your stuff thou for the
heck of it

brad
former sysop lost gonzo bbs
inherited nostalgia bbs stuff as well
i'd need like 4 guys local to lever these large bbs beasts back up imho sigh

blixel

Aug 7, 2013, 10:33:05 PM8/7/13
A while after posting that message I sat here and made a VMware image and a VirtualBox image for Lands 2. These are even easier to check out as all you have to do is load the image.

MajorBBS v5.31 - Forbidden Lands 2 (VMware Image)
http://db.tt/doSr77dg

MajorBBS v5.31 - Forbidden Lands 2 (VirtualBox Image)
http://db.tt/9p9JX6lR

And if anyone is interested, here's an sdk package I made that includes everything you need to compile the game and the bbs.

http://db.tt/KbMIcnpQ

Hopefully someone who has Forbidden Lands 3 will see this post some day and send FL3 to me.

mro

Aug 13, 2013, 12:11:06 AM8/13/13
to blixel
To: blixel
.,: This is something about Re: Forbidden Lands 2 (Book II): The Vale of Grimyre,
blixel said it to alt.bbs.majorbbs on Wed Aug 07 2013 12:01 am
--ДДДДДДДДДДДДДДДДДДДДДД-ДДДД---ДДДДДДДДДДДДДДД---ДДДДДДДДД--ДДДДДДДД
> I just thought I'd come back to this thread (2 years later) and update these

> The Forbidden Lands 2 packages I made can be downloaded from my dropbox inst

is that you electro?

dts...@gmail.com

May 30, 2014, 9:20:18 PM5/30/14

Your images are awesome! However, I am slightly lost as where to find them, the site that these are listed on the links are dead :(

_______ __ ______ ______ _______
| | |.---.-.|__|.-----.----.| __ \ __ \ __|
| || _ || || _ | _|| __ < __ <__ |
|__|_|__||___._|| ||_____|__| |______/______/_______|
===============|___|========(Worldgroup v2 VM)=========
A virtual machine containing Worldgroup v2 and MajorTCP
running under DOS 6.22. The VM was created in VMware
Workstation 10 using Blixel's instructions from the
Master ISO Archive. Steps 1-6, 8 & 9 are complete you
simply need to configure IP addressing information.
v6.25 Master ISO Archive.7z 115M 09/02/2013 [download]
_______ __ ______ ______ _______
| | |.---.-.|__|.-----.----.| __ \ __ \ __|
| || _ || || _ | _|| __ < __ <__ |
|__|_|__||___._|| ||_____|__| |______/______/_______|
===============|___|========(Master ISO Archive)=======
Blixel's MajorBBS Master ISO Archive (09/02/2013)
Includes detailed instructions and all necessary software
needed to build a "bare bones" 256 node v6.25 MajorBBS
system. Also includes a full development kit! Use it to
compile modules from source or rebuild MBBS.
MajorBBS Addon CD v6.7z 16M 09/07/2013 [download]

erec...@gmail.com

Jun 2, 2014, 2:58:44 PM6/2/14
Dave,

You can find the images and some more info on the wiki here: http://majorbbs.info.tm/

Blixel has done an awesome job on the master cd!

Ragnarok

Jun 2, 2014, 10:25:29 PM6/2/14
To: erectfro
El 02/06/14 15:58, erectfro escribi�:
> From Newsgroup: alt.bbs.majorbbs
>
> Dave,
>
> You can find the images and some more info on the wiki here: http://majorbbs.info.tm/
>
> Blixel has done an awesome job on the master cd!
>
> On Friday, May 30, 2014 9:20:18 PM UTC-4, David Snyder wrote:
>> Your images are awesome! However, I am slightly lost as where to find them, the site that these are listed on the links are dead :(

cool!
--- Synchronet 3.16 Hack by Ragnarok rev. a-Linux NewsLink 1.102
* Dock Sud BBS - Avellaneda, Bs As, Argentina - telnet://bbs.docksud.com.ar

cor...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2016, 8:58:54 PM3/27/16
On Monday, June 2, 2014 at 2:58:44 PM UTC-4, erec...@gmail.com wrote:
> Dave,
>
> You can find the images and some more info on the wiki here: http://majorbbs.info.tm/
>
> Blixel has done an awesome job on the master cd!

Yo, erectfro, email me. Haven't heard from you in a while.

cor...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2016, 8:59:18 PM3/27/16
-corvey

blixel

Jul 25, 2017, 10:50:43 PM7/25/17
Well, dropbox made some changes earlier this year that broke the db.tt links I posted back in 2013. So I thought I'd come back to this thread (now 6 years since the original post) and update these links yet again.

With Globals: https://goo.gl/2xKXC9
Without Globals: https://goo.gl/YDTDdS

MajorBBS v5.31 - Forbidden Lands 2 (VMware Image)
https://goo.gl/UGNWWE

MajorBBS v5.31 - Forbidden Lands 2 (VirtualBox Image)
https://goo.gl/M8uNDN

I haven't tested the VMWare image in many years, but I did test the VirtualBox image just today (under Windows 10) running VirtualBox 5.1.24 -
and the image is still working.

Still hoping someone has Forbidden Lands 3 (Book III): The Islands of Dawn and will see this post some day and send FL3 to me.

Oleg Bobryshev

Oct 2, 2021, 7:44:58 PM10/2/21

https://wiki.mbbsemu.com/doku.php?id=modules