Pokemon sends hundreds of kids to hospital

Brian C. Bull (Necktie Junction)

Dec 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/18/97

In Japan last Tuesday, over 600 children were hospitalized due to nausea
and seizures that occurred during a television run of "Pokemon" (short
for "Pocket Monsters") a popular anime cartoon. It was deemed by
several doctors that due to the excessive vibrancy of the colors, the
fast-paced editing, and overall pace of the show, those children were
reacting due to the overt stimulation and essentially broke down
physically and mentally. The show has been pulled off the air due to
requests by the regional PTAs.

Here in America, another show with glitzy colors and staggering pace has
elicited nausea in adults. It's called "Barney and Friends". :p

-Necktie Junction

Learn the EVIL that is Barney! (http://www.wavefront.com/~bull/dotb.htm)
Necktie Junction, HellWurm Research Division, Verthandic Rangers
(http://vrdet.sandwich.org/)
******* Never trust a psychic who has to reschedule. ********

Glenn Adams

Dec 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/18/97
to NOSPAM...@ix.netcom.com
Yah know, we can learn alot from the japanese! :)
B&F has caused numerous seizures in most of the Jihaddi, am I right?

Trooper Atlas, The Doberman Empire
The Orange Baang!

Samhain

Dec 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/19/97

Necktie Junction wrote:

>In Japan last Tuesday, over 600 children were hospitalized due to nausea
>and seizures that occurred during a television run of "Pokemon"

[snip]
Ya know, I was just waiting for someone to comment on this. =)

>Here in America, another show with glitzy colors and staggering pace has
>elicited nausea in adults. It's called "Barney and Friends". :p

Au contraire. While it may be a show with "glitzy colors" it
most certainly does *not* have a staggering pace. More accurately, its
pace can be described as mind-numbing, dumbing-down, catatonic-state
causing, hypnotic, et al.
The important connection here is that the seizure attacks
brought on by the anime unarguably prove that watching television shows
can have a direct effect on the human brain, especially that of small
children.
What's interesting, tho, is that in the articles I've read on
the subject, I've not heard of any adults being taken to the hospital
for seizures as a result of the show. Either they're immune, don't
watch the show, or the press just doesn't report on what happens to
adults as a result of television. ;)

Samhain Has Spoken. (tm)
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><-><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
> < > <
|| Doberman Fleet Commander Aurelius Invid Manticore Samhain ||
|| Patron Saint of the Church of Blarney, Order of the Big Mac ||
|| Founder of W.E.D.J.E.E. ||
|| Captain of the 10th Company of the Chosen of Khorne ||
|| Blackblood the Feral (NYAR!) C.E.D. of the Maenads of ||
|| The Holy Albino ||
|| _____________________ ________ ||
|| |________Sage Samhain_|=|___OJP__| ||
> < > <
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><-><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
/ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~midnite/barni.html \
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Persuant to Federal regulations, Any and all unsolicited commercial email to
this email address is subject to an archival fee of up to US $500 per
message. Emailing of message denotes acceptance of these terms.

Brett Ryan

Dec 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/21/97

In message <34991F...@ix.netcom.com> - "Brian C. Bull (Necktie Junction)"
<NOSPAM...@ix.netcom.com> writes:
:>
:>In Japan last Tuesday, over 600 children were hospitalized due to nausea
:>and seizures that occurred during a television run of "Pokemon" (short

:>for "Pocket Monsters") a popular anime cartoon. It was deemed by
:>several doctors that due to the excessive vibrancy of the colors, the
:>fast-paced editing, and overall pace of the show, those children were
:>reacting due to the overt stimulation and essentially broke down
:>physically and mentally. The show has been pulled off the air due to
:>requests by the regional PTAs.
:>
:>Here in America, another show with glitzy colors and staggering pace has

:>elicited nausea in adults. It's called "Barney and Friends". :p
:>
:>-Necktie Junction

I find it quit amazing that the purveyours of these worthless
kid shows/toy advertisements choose to put out this revolting
crap.

Nintendo has had a habit of putting out games that cause
people to suddenly go into seziures. I remember the
coin-op game "The Simpson's" at the arcade in the local
mall. A 12 year old kid was playing that game five years
ago and immideatly freaked when the sprites started flashing.
And we all know that B'harny makes people with FC's puke.

*--------------------------<>-------------------------------*
"Destroy and Enjoy Kiddies" DrFegg. Using OS/2 v 4.0
"Unum probate nullam ultram necessitatum habete." ILLCO, INC.
"Do you still see me even here?
The silver cord lies on the ground." Jethro Tull 1973
*--------------------------<>-------------------------------*
Information Systems professional:
Win95, WinNT 3.51 workstation & server, WinNT 4.0 workstation
& server, WfW 3.11, MS-DOS, PC-DOS, OS/2 Workstation 2.11,
OS/2 Workstation 3.0, OS/2 Workstation 4.0
Working on MCSE certification
HOMEPAGE: http://www.hal-pc.org/~bsryan
*--------------------------<*>------------------------------*
No junk mail please! Legitamete replys to "bsr...@hal-pc.org"

"By US Code Title 47, Sec. 227 (a) (2) (B), a computer/modem/
printer meets the definition of a telephone fax macine. By
Sec. 227 (b) (1) (C), it is unlawful to send any unsolicited
advertisement to such equipment. By Sec. 227 (b) (3) (C),
a violation of the aforementioned Section is punishable by
action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever
is greater, for each violation."
*----------------------------<*>-----------------------------*

abe hornberg

Dec 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/21/97

Darn, now I want to see it! Pokemon not Hellwyrm.
It has been stated that it would be safe for kids to watch the show if
parents turn the TV's brightness control down, turn up the room
lighting, and make the kids take a break from the TV now and then.
With the Bharnn, the danger is in believing that there is no danger.
abe hornberg

JT

Dec 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/25/97

> :>In Japan last Tuesday, over 600 children were hospitalized due to nausea
> :>and seizures that occurred during a television run of "Pokemon" (short
> :>for "Pocket Monsters") a popular anime cartoon. It was deemed by
> :>several doctors that due to the excessive vibrancy of the colors, the
> :>fast-paced editing, and overall pace of the show, those children were
> :>reacting due to the overt stimulation and essentially broke down
> :>physically and mentally. The show has been pulled off the air due to
> :>requests by the regional PTAs.
> :>
> :>Here in America, another show with glitzy colors and staggering pace has
> :>elicited nausea in adults. It's called "Barney and Friends". :p
> :>
> :>-Necktie Junction
>
> I find it quit amazing that the purveyours of these worthless
> kid shows/toy advertisements choose to put out this revolting
> crap.
>
> Nintendo has had a habit of putting out games that cause
> people to suddenly go into seziures.

Eh? What in the name of John Wayne's ass are you smoking? You say this like
Nintendo KNOWS what causes seizures, then went about blatantly putting these
things into their games, knowing they would cause seizures. I think not. And I
know your Simpsons comment is after this reply, but it wasn't even developed by
nintendo. Nintendo didn't have many arcade games back then. I believe the
developer may have been Konami. And as for the cartoon causing the seizures...It
had nothing to do with the pace of the show. One of the character's eyes flashed
between two colors (red and yellow, were they?) for a full 5 seconds. That's
enough to give anyone with epilepsy a seizure if they stare at the TV long
enough. And isn't epilepsy more prominent in kids than adults? That would explain
the lack of adults who had seizures.

> I remember the
> coin-op game "The Simpson's" at the arcade in the local
> mall. A 12 year old kid was playing that game five years
> ago and immideatly freaked when the sprites started flashing.
> And we all know that B'harny makes people with FC's puke.

JT
"I never doubted the teachers, just the lessons they taught..."
(Flotsam and Jetsam)

DeadLock the Feral

Dec 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/28/97

JT (ikaz...@frontiernet.net) wrote:

It's not exactly topic, but...

: Eh? What in the name of John Wayne's ass are you smoking?

Ok, this is a quote of the week. Anyone want to second it? >:)=

DLtF(NYAR!)

Lt JG Schiller

Dec 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/28/97

In article <34a5c...@news.one.net>,
mot...@monster.island.one.net (DeadLock the Feral) wrote:
I second it! And all my other personalties third, fourth, fifth, sixth, and
seventh it.

B----, SPG----, F++++, R&D+++, !ND, TIJ-, ODD+++, MAG++++, PSI+++, IRC+,
JW+++, ABD4+++++, MST++, !RPG, GF++++, GG++++, GM+++++, GMO+++++, GB++++,
VECH-A

Trooper Cecrops

Dec 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/31/97

DeadLock the Feral wrote:

> JT (ikaz...@frontiernet.net) wrote:
>
> It's not exactly topic, but...
>
> : Eh? What in the name of John Wayne's ass are you smoking?
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Ok, this is a quote of the week. Anyone want to second it?
> >:)=

Second! =)

Ready to serve,

Trooper Cecrops, Doberman Empire
Proud member of WEDJEE

Cecrops' Jihad Codes:
/-----------------------------------------------------------\
| B- SPG---- F++++ R&D++++ ND++ TIJ- ODD+++ MAG++++ PSI++++ |
| IRC+++ JW++ ABD4++ |
| MST+ RPG++ GF+++ GG++++ GM+++++ GMO++ GB++++ !VECH |
\-----------------------------------------------------------/

Daniel Lanker

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98

Trooper Cecrops <Da...@Do-Not-Spam-Me.com> wrote in article
<34AAD737...@Do-Not-Spam-Me.com>...

> DeadLock the Feral wrote:
>
> > JT (ikaz...@frontiernet.net) wrote:
> >
> > It's not exactly topic, but...
> >
> > : Eh? What in the name of John Wayne's ass are you smoking?
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > Ok, this is a quote of the week. Anyone want to second it?
> > >:)=
> >

> Second! =)

I third.

-Daniel Lanker

Virus Dan

Jun 11, 2017, 11:24:41 AM6/11/17
On Thursday, December 18, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Brian C. Bull (Necktie Junction) wrote:
> In Japan last Tuesday, over 600 children were hospitalized due to nausea
> and seizures that occurred during a television run of "Pokemon" (short
> for "Pocket Monsters") a popular anime cartoon. It was deemed by
> several doctors that due to the excessive vibrancy of the colors, the
> fast-paced editing, and overall pace of the show, those children were
> reacting due to the overt stimulation and essentially broke down
> physically and mentally. The show has been pulled off the air due to
> requests by the regional PTAs.
>
> Here in America, another show with glitzy colors and staggering pace has
> elicited nausea in adults. It's called "Barney and Friends". :p
>
> -Necktie Junction
>

> --
> Learn the EVIL that is Barney! (http://www.wavefront.com/~bull/dotb.htm)
> Necktie Junction, HellWurm Research Division, Verthandic Rangers
> (http://vrdet.sandwich.org/)
> ******* Never trust a psychic who has to reschedule. ********

Do you even know what that episode was about? Swayzak actively supports it.

blinking...@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2017, 7:47:46 PM6/29/17
On Thursday, December 18, 1997 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Brian C. Bull (Necktie Junction) wrote:
> In Japan last Tuesday, over 600 children were hospitalized due to nausea
> and seizures that occurred during a television run of "Pokemon" (short
> for "Pocket Monsters") a popular anime cartoon. It was deemed by
> several doctors that due to the excessive vibrancy of the colors, the
> fast-paced editing, and overall pace of the show, those children were
> reacting due to the overt stimulation and essentially broke down
> physically and mentally. The show has been pulled off the air due to
> requests by the regional PTAs.
>
> Here in America, another show with glitzy colors and staggering pace has
> elicited nausea in adults. It's called "Barney and Friends". :p
>
> -Necktie Junction
>

> --
> Learn the EVIL that is Barney! (http://www.wavefront.com/~bull/dotb.htm)
> Necktie Junction, HellWurm Research Division, Verthandic Rangers
> (http://vrdet.sandwich.org/)
> ******* Never trust a psychic who has to reschedule. ********

I love you, you love me, lets all kill Barney, with a great big
gun, that I bought today, then he will, go-way!

Lord Gyromatic

Dec 8, 2020, 9:04:42 PM12/8/20
On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 7:47:46 PM UTC-4, blinking...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, December 18, 1997 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Brian C. Bull (Necktie Junction) wrote:
> > In Japan last Tuesday, over 600 children were hospitalized due to nausea
> > and seizures that occurred during a television run of "Pokemon" (short
> > for "Pocket Monsters") a popular anime cartoon. It was deemed by
> > several doctors that due to the excessive vibrancy of the colors, the
> > fast-paced editing, and overall pace of the show, those children were
> > reacting due to the overt stimulation and essentially broke down
> > physically and mentally. The show has been pulled off the air due to
> > requests by the regional PTAs.
> >
> > Here in America, another show with glitzy colors and staggering pace has
> > elicited nausea in adults. It's called "Barney and Friends". :p
> >
> > -Necktie Junction
> >

> > --
> > Learn the EVIL that is Barney! (http://www.wavefront.com/~bull/dotb.htm)
> > Necktie Junction, HellWurm Research Division, Verthandic Rangers
> > (http://vrdet.sandwich.org/)

I hated that episode because it taught kids that computer viruses aren't real, WHICH THEY TOTALLY ARE. Watch something like ReBoot or Toonami's "Trapped in Hyperspace" event so you can cope with the fact computer viruses are the unsung heroes of the new generation, and Swayzak will forever be your new husbando.