Mattel Announces "Barney" Is Coming Back With "Apparel And Accessories For Adult Fans"

Ubiquitous

Feb 15, 2023, 8:44:40 AM2/15/23
Mattel announced Monday that the big purple dinosaur Barney will be back in
an animated series to debut next year, along with a line of "apparel and
accessories for adult fans."

A message from Josh Silverman, the toy company's Chief Franchise Officer and
Global Head of Consumer Products, said Barney's "message of love and kindness
has stood the test of time."

"We will tap into the nostalgia of the generations who grew up with Barney,
now parents themselves, and introduce the iconic purple dinosaur to a new
generation of kids and families around the world across content, products,
and experiences," Silverman added.

Get a first look at the revived Barney franchise here:
https://t.co/1vJhZNP6vL pic.twitter.com/ZTnt0VtpAM

-- Variety (@Variety) February 13, 2023

The reboot of the iconic brand "will span television, film, and YouTube
content as well as music and a full range of kids' products including toys,
books, clothing, and more," a statement on Mattel's website read. "Apparel
and accessories for adult fans, featuring classic Barney, are also in
development," it added.

The animated series is set to debut in 2024, with the product launch in 2025.

"In creating the new series, it was important to us that we properly reflect
the world that kids today live in so that the series can deliver meaningful
lessons about navigating it," Fred Soulie, SVP and General Manager of Mattel
Television said.

"With our modern take on Barney, we hope to inspire the next generation to
listen, care, and dream big," he added. "We think that parents, many of whom
will fondly remember the original Barney from their own childhoods, will love
the show, too."

The children's program "Barney and Friends" debuted on PBS in 1992 and ran
for almost two decades, with the final episode airing in 2010. However, this
time around, the dinosaur will be an animated slimmed-down version rather
than played by an adult in a costume. The change has drew ire from some.

A Vulture headline read, "Even Barney Isn't Safe From Societal Beauty
Standards."

With a great big hug and buccal fat removal too.
https://t.co/xQIPk3CXzC

-- Vulture (@vulture) February 14, 2023

Another Twitter account posted, "Maybe it's because I'm use (sic) to the OG
Barney I grew up with during the '90s, but this new Barney looks like they
gave him a face lift and some botox."

Maybe it's because I'm use to the OG Barney I grew up with during the
'90s, but this new Barney looks like they gave him a face lift and
some botox. pic.twitter.com/ltwIleBlSt

-- Mat Brunet (AniMat) (@AniMat505) February 13, 2023

Conservative commentator Brigitte Gabriel tweeted, "Barney is returning. They
better not make him woke."

Barney is returning. They better not make him woke.

-- Brigitte Gabriel (@ACTBrigitte) February 13, 2023

--
Let's go Brandon!