60's Vega SS-5 Folklore long-neck banjo

banjowine

Dec 4, 2001, 6:23:55 PM12/4/01
Hi:

Does anyone know anything about this banjo.
It does not seem to have a tone ring, only a
wooden pot.

Thanks,

Hal

rf...@aol.com

Dec 4, 2001, 6:50:09 PM12/4/01
On Tue, 4 Dec 2001 15:23:55 -0800, "banjowine" <banj...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

You're right about no tone ring. I think this was a poor man's Pete
Seeger model, the Seeger having the TubaPhone ring. I've seen them go
on eBay a few times. Probably a decent banjo if you want a long neck.
It is a Vega after all. (Or did they start making them after Martin
took over?)

banjowine

Dec 4, 2001, 11:03:53 PM12/4/01
Hi:
Thanks for the response.

This banjo was made by Vega before they sold
to Martin. Since the seller lives about 4,000 miles
from me, I wanted to see what other people
thought. My other choices are a Gibson RB-175,
or an Baldwin-Ode (with resonator). I am looking
for a long neck so I can sing along again (somewhere
along the way over the past 40 years
my voice has gotten lower!!). I play clawhammer
and "folky" style. I also like a more
plunky, old timey sound rather than the "bluegrass"
high pitched tone. Can any one help? Or does
anyone have something like this for sale or know of
one?

Thanks,

Hal

rf...@aol.com

Dec 5, 2001, 6:24:05 PM12/5/01
I also own an Ode long neck. It's an original Ode, before they sold
out to Baldwin. It has an aluminum pot and a tone ring and is a nice
frailer. I sort of retired it when I found my Pete Seeger four years
ago, but it's a nice banjo if you can find one. Check eBay.

Dave Douglass

Dec 10, 2001, 6:35:23 PM12/10/01
Hal-

I have a Gibson RB-175 that I got new in 1963 and I like the way it
plays and sounds, always have. I have a plastic head on it and use
medium gauge (bronze wound 4th) strings. It was my main player for a
lot of yrs. It has a little solid brass tone ring. Incidentally, the
neck is straight on it to this day. I recommend it. The Vega basic
model long neck is very similar. I think the Gibson looks and sounds
better IMO. I hope this helps you in your choice.

Dave

Robert Skaff

Sep 7, 2020, 12:36:38 AM9/7/20
I bought one brand new in 1966. The catalogue price was $205.00 Plays very nice but I still use my Pete Seger for shows.

zepp

Sep 7, 2020, 10:47:39 AM9/7/20
On Monday, September 7, 2020 at 12:36:38 AM UTC-4, Robert Skaff wrote:
> I bought one brand new in 1966. The catalogue price was $205.00 Plays very nice but I still use my Pete Seger for shows.

Greetings. While I think we're responding to a 9-year-old-thread, I would add that I have a 1960's RB-175 than was in my shop--closed since 01 Jan 2015--for $1000. It was, apparently, previously owned by an orangutan, as it has cam-style Scruggs Tuners--the only long neck I have ever seen with them installed!

As it has been sitting untouched for 5 years, I'd happily part with it and its Gold Tone gig bag for $750, shipping within the lower 48 included.

I still have its photos and the sale page offering--if anyone is interested, I'll happily re-post them on zeppmusic.com...

Cheers,
ZEPP