[SCORE] Harmony Reso-Tone open-backed banjo

notbob

Jan 22, 2017, 4:33:48 PM1/22/17
I jes scored one!

I saw it, yesterday, but it would NOT stay in tune, as all the tuning
machine screws were loose. The 5th string friction peg was the worst
and the seller had no proper screwdrivers to tighten the knob screw.
I passed on buying it and went on home.

That night I researched this 'plastic' banjo and was shocked to learn, most
everyone pretty much agreed. Yes, it was a very cheap banjo, but it
was amazingly robust for what it is and that anyone coming across one
should definitely snag it.

I remembered my killer Chapman Gun Screwdriver Set, so set off to see
the seller, again. Well, he's found his "killer" screwdriver set and
tightened up the all the tuning machines.

When I played it again, it was magic. Never went out of tune and is
at least 1/3 lighter than my other 'beginner' banjo and has a better
action. I love it!

nb --keep floggin' them frets!!

notbob

Jan 26, 2017, 1:24:02 PM1/26/17

> That night I researched this 'plastic' banjo and was shocked to learn, most
> everyone pretty much agreed. Yes, it was a very cheap banjo, but it
> was amazingly robust for what it is and that anyone coming across one
> should definitely snag it.
>
> I remembered my killer Chapman Gun Screwdriver Set, so set off to see
> the seller, again. Well, he's found his "killer" screwdriver set and
> tightened up the all the tuning machines.
>
> When I played it again, it was magic. Never went out of tune and is
> at least 2/3rds (author edit) lighter than my other 'beginner' banjo
> and has a better action. I love it!

About a week in: Still love this banjo, even if it's only good fer
clawhammer. I've been dragging out my Chinese-made RK resonator
beginners banjo to work on my 3-finger-pick Scruggs stuff.

Ppl should not mock Chinese goods. I figure the Chinese are where we
were in the first half of the 20th century. Some of their stuff seems
kinda clunky, but they're getting better and better. Plus, a lot of
that perceived junkyness is a product of "bean-counter" specs, which
we Americans give them!

Also! ....if I had not worked so hard on my RK, my Harmony would not
be so easy to play. I'm telling ya, this thing is a dream. if my
next banjo doesn't play as well as this "plastic" Harmony, I won't be
buying it.