Babylon 5 on Amazon

Vince M Hudd

May 17, 2018, 4:10:28 AM5/17/18

According to the Great Maker, JMS, from next month Babylon 5 will be
available for streaming on Amazon Prime.

I don't know if that's just in Overpuddle, or all regions.

(The show is currently available to buy on Amazon video on this side of
the puddle - so if the move to Prime is here as well, then from next
month it's free to watch for anyone who has a Prime subscription).

However, I've seen one comment already that the Amazon copies are a
little "muddy".

(Makes no difference to me: I have Amazon Prime, but I already have the
lot on DVD.)
--
Vince M Hudd - Soft Rock Software - www.softrock.co.uk
RISCOSitory - www.riscository.com

John W Kennedy

May 17, 2018, 4:14:04 PM5/17/18
On 5/17/18 4:10 AM, Vince M Hudd wrote:

> According to the Great Maker, JMS, from next month Babylon 5 will be
> available for streaming on Amazon Prime.
>
> I don't know if that's just in Overpuddle, or all regions.
>
> (The show is currently available to buy on Amazon video on this side of
> the puddle - so if the move to Prime is here as well, then from next
> month it's free to watch for anyone who has a Prime subscription).
>
> However, I've seen one comment already that the Amazon copies are a
> little "muddy".
>
> (Makes no difference to me: I have Amazon Prime, but I already have the
> lot on DVD.)

JMS has openly suggested to Amazon that they get new masters, and
offered his assistance pro-bono-publico.

--
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres

Vince M Hudd

May 17, 2018, 5:15:56 PM5/17/18
On 17/05/18 21:13, John W Kennedy wrote:
> On 5/17/18 4:10 AM, Vince M Hudd wrote:

>> According to the Great Maker, JMS, from next month Babylon 5 will be
>> available for streaming on Amazon Prime.

> JMS has openly suggested to Amazon that they get new masters, and
> offered his assistance pro-bono-publico.

Indeed.

If Amazon were to do take up JMS' suggestion, the version they'd have on
their site would be the best versions ever.

For those not on Twitter (or following JMS on it) here are the main
tweets about this:

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/997029449097871360

1. Yo, @amazon @AmazonStudios ...just wanted to say that everyone
involved with Babylon 5 is excited to have the show streaming on Amazon
Prime starting in June. If you'd really like to make a splash with both
established fans and new viewers, I have a little secret for you...

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/997029770037620736

2. @amazon @AmazonStudios ...while the 16:9 versions can't be upgraded
to HD due to bad cropping, CG shots that would need to be redone, and
because (as I understand it) those versions were actually taken off the
laserdisks at a lower res, there's another option....

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/997030017832861701

3. @amazon @AmazonStudios As part of our contract, we supplied conformed
masters of the 4:3 versions to Warners. Meaning every frame from every
source was transferred to Super 35 film, and those negative film masters
still exist at WB....

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/997030333848535040

4. @amazon @AmazonStudios ...so all you'd have to do is get WB to strike
new prints off those original master negatives, and you'd have pristine
compies you could uprez to HD. They wouldn't be 16:9 but at 4:3 they'd
be the best versions ever seen, even more than first broadcast.

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/997030628729143296

5. @amazon @AmazonStudios So if you wanna make this happen, and give
your viewers the very best version ever seen, rather than the degraded
copies making the rounds (at minimal transfer cost), happy to help out
pro bono to make this happen. You know where to find me.

Many subsequent tweets are JMS answering questions about all this - but
those are the important ones.

This was all said after I posted about this to the group earlier. As I
said then, I already have the show on DVD and therefore there is no
reason for me to watch on Amazon.

However, if they were to take up JMS' suggestion, that changes things -
because Amazon would be showing much better versions than I have.

steveski

May 17, 2018, 10:42:56 PM5/17/18
On Thu, 17 May 2018 22:15:50 +0100, Vince M Hudd wrote:

> On 17/05/18 21:13, John W Kennedy wrote:
>> On 5/17/18 4:10 AM, Vince M Hudd wrote:
>
>>> According to the Great Maker, JMS, from next month Babylon 5 will be
>>> available for streaming on Amazon Prime.
>
>> JMS has openly suggested to Amazon that they get new masters, and
>> offered his assistance pro-bono-publico.
>
> Indeed.
>
> If Amazon were to do take up JMS' suggestion, the version they'd have on
> their site would be the best versions ever.
>
> For those not on Twitter (or following JMS on it) here are the main
> tweets about this:

[snip]

I'm happy with my DVDs. I can understand that people want technical
excellence but, to me, it's about the story.

Also, shouldn't this thread be 'OT' - c'mon chaps (and chappesses) :-)

Oh, and 'bugger, fuck, &Duffyword, poo, drawers, Belgium and Centauri
Lint - just to keep the quotae up.

--
Steveski

"Where's Stormy when you need him?"

oni...@btinternet.com

Jun 23, 2018, 5:21:18 AM6/23/18
Master copies... For a moment there I thought you meant kick out Bezos and install the Shadows, although come to think about it...

Lewis

just drifting by on infinite improbability drive