Huh

bucklan...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2019, 7:34:30 PM11/18/19
Huh. I see people were here

steveski

Nov 18, 2019, 7:38:04 PM11/18/19
On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 16:34:29 -0800, buckland.cathie wrote:

> Huh. I see people were here

Long, long ago were the old ones . . .

--
Steveski

Darren Jones

Nov 19, 2019, 12:57:13 PM11/19/19
they probably went beyond the rim

steveski

Nov 19, 2019, 1:29:20 PM11/19/19
Like a lavatory cleaner.

--
Steveski

FP

Nov 26, 2019, 2:29:20 AM11/26/19
At least it's drier in here than out camping.

And I need to remember how to post to a newsgroup.

David Burnett

Nov 29, 2019, 2:11:08 PM11/29/19
Is that like a forum or somat ?

Dave

David Burnett

Nov 29, 2019, 2:11:49 PM11/29/19
On 26/11/2019 07:29, FP wrote:
Is that like a forum or somat...

Dave

FP

Dec 3, 2019, 5:39:55 PM12/3/19
Thunderbird has a "Reply" button and a "followup" button. My inclination
is to hit "Reply". Except then it doesn't go to the froup.

Kim Wall

Dec 3, 2019, 7:10:06 PM12/3/19
On 03/12/2019 22:39, FP wrote:
> On 29/11/2019 19:11, David Burnett wrote:

>>> At least it's drier in here than out camping.
>>>
>>> And I need to remember how to post to a newsgroup.
>>
>> Is that like a forum or somat...
>>

> Thunderbird has a "Reply" button and a "followup" button. My inclination
> is to hit "Reply". Except then it doesn't go to the froup.

Trick with Thunderbollocks is to customise the toolbar and replace the
'reply' button with 'smart reply', which will do the right thing for
lists and froups by default, with direct reply as an option on a
drop-down menu.

(The other trick with Thunderbollocks is not to install the British
English localisation pack at the same time as the calendar add-on, as it
b0rks things spectacularly and will cause you to waste an entire evening
working out what the problem is, and subsequently persuading it to speak
USAnian while spill-chucking with a British dictionary. DAHIKT.)

Kim.

steveski

Dec 3, 2019, 7:19:44 PM12/3/19
Wow! Old Ones . . . :-)

--
Steveski

ImperiusDamian

Mar 3, 2020, 1:30:36 PM3/3/20
Tremble, for on Mon, 18 Nov 2019 16:34:29 -0800 on this sandbank of
Apophis buckland.cathie wrote :

> Huh. I see people were here

There are beings on Usenet years older than all other posters. Once they
roamed among the newsgroups like giants, vast and timeless. They created
great threads, taught the newbie posters, explored beyond the alt.*
hierarchy. But to all things there is an end. Slowly over many years, the
First Ones went away. Some passed beyond Usenet never to return. Others
simply disappeared. But some stayed. Watching, and waiting for the day
when they may be needed. When the Trolls come again. (We have no other
name for them.)

--
Software isn't released, it's allowed to escape.

ImperiusDamian - http://theimperium.elementfx.com

ImperiusDamian

Mar 3, 2020, 1:31:58 PM3/3/20
Tremble, for on Wed, 04 Dec 2019 00:09:29 +0000 on this sandbank of
Apophis Kim Wall wrote :
I just switched to a dedicated newsfroup reader, Pan. Simpler and better
than Thunderb0rk.

--
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop
playing.

Kim Wall

Mar 3, 2020, 3:00:13 PM3/3/20
On 03/03/2020 18:31, ImperiusDamian wrote:
> I just switched to a dedicated newsfroup reader, Pan. Simpler and better
> than Thunderb0rk.

Froups being what they are these days, a dedicated reader has the same
disadvantages as web fora (ie. that you've got to go and look for new
posts, rather than them being right there waiting for you in the thing
you're already using).

Kim.

steveski

Mar 3, 2020, 5:35:04 PM3/3/20
On Tue, 03 Mar 2020 18:31:57 +0000, ImperiusDamian wrote:

[]

> I just switched to a dedicated newsfroup reader, Pan. Simpler and better
> than Thunderb0rk.

This is the programme that I have been banging on about for years - see
my and Vince's posts earlier.

I think it's Really Good (TM) with the one fault that when there aren't
any posts (i.e. beyond the expiration limit) it's a, very small
admittedly, PITA.

--
Steveski

ImperiusDamian

Mar 4, 2020, 12:35:25 PM3/4/20
Tremble, for on Tue, 03 Mar 2020 19:59:58 +0000 on this sandbank of
Apophis Kim Wall wrote :
I set Pan up to automatically fetch new posts in my subscribed froups when
I start 'er up. So much better than Thunderb0rk or the old Outhouse
Express.

--
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the
universe." - Carl Sagan

ImperiusDamian

Mar 4, 2020, 12:37:09 PM3/4/20
Tremble, for on Tue, 03 Mar 2020 22:35:03 +0000 on this sandbank of
Apophis steveski wrote :
So far all the froups I frequent have at least a base level of activity
within the last year or so, so I haven't run into that yet.

--
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the
universe." - Carl Sagan

Kim Wall

Mar 4, 2020, 8:00:09 PM3/4/20
On 04/03/2020 17:35, ImperiusDamian wrote:
> Tremble, for on Tue, 03 Mar 2020 19:59:58 +0000 on this sandbank of
> Apophis Kim Wall wrote :
>
>> On 03/03/2020 18:31, ImperiusDamian wrote:
>>> I just switched to a dedicated newsfroup reader, Pan. Simpler and
>>> better than Thunderb0rk.
>>
>> Froups being what they are these days, a dedicated reader has the same
>> disadvantages as web fora (ie. that you've got to go and look for new
>> posts, rather than them being right there waiting for you in the thing
>> you're already using).
>
> I set Pan up to automatically fetch new posts in my subscribed froups when
> I start 'er up. So much better than Thunderb0rk or the old Outhouse
> Express.

That's my point: When you start 'er up. Which is a thing you have to
do to see if anything's going on the froups. Which it probably isn't.

At least Thunderbollocks is already running because people still use
email (and it remains the least sucky graphical mail client). If
something pops up in a froup (or RSS feed, which are in a similarly
bleak state), all the better.

Nothing against Pan or other dedicated newsreaders. I used to use tin.
But eventually I stopped bothering to look, and realised it was better
to access the remaining froups of interest through my mail client, as
that way I'd see posts before they were three weeks old.

The important thing is that it's not bloody Facebook.

Kim.

ImperiusDamian

Mar 5, 2020, 7:28:34 PM3/5/20
Tremble, for on Thu, 05 Mar 2020 00:56:01 +0000 on this sandbank of
Oh my Kosh, I deleted Facebook a couple of years ago and never looked
back. Toxic fucking place.

--
A person that learns from their mistakes is smart. A person that learns
from other people's mistakes is smarter.

Daniel60

Mar 6, 2020, 1:17:36 AM3/6/20
You naughty, naughty, person for having connected in the first place!! ;-P

--
Daniel

ImperiusDamian

Mar 6, 2020, 7:09:49 PM3/6/20
Tremble, for on Fri, 06 Mar 2020 17:17:35 +1100 on this sandbank of
Apophis Daniel60 wrote :
I did it for the memes.

--
Turn on, log in, fight spam.

Daniel60

Mar 6, 2020, 11:18:50 PM3/6/20
ImperiusDamian wrote on 7/03/2020 11:09 AM:
> Tremble, for on Fri, 06 Mar 2020 17:17:35 +1100 on this sandbank of
> Apophis Daniel60 wrote :
>
>> ImperiusDamian wrote on 6/03/2020 11:28 AM:
>>>
>>> Oh my Kosh, I deleted Facebook a couple of years ago and never looked
>>> back. Toxic fucking place.
>>>
>> You naughty, naughty, person for having connected in the first place!!
>> ;-P
>
> I did it for the memes.

I never really 'got' memes!!

Attack some picture or other to some smart arse comment!!

Wacko!!

--
Daniel

steveski

Mar 7, 2020, 8:39:03 AM3/7/20
On Fri, 06 Mar 2020 00:28:33 +0000, ImperiusDamian wrote:

[]

> Oh my Kosh, I deleted Facebook a couple of years ago and never looked
> back. Toxic fucking place.

Did you have to wash your mind?

--
Steveski

ImperiusDamian

Mar 7, 2020, 4:54:30 PM3/7/20
Tremble, for on Sat, 07 Mar 2020 13:39:01 +0000 on this sandbank of
Apophis steveski wrote :
Only because there was a Vorlon remnant in there.

--
"Fate protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." -
William Riker, 2365

steveski

Mar 7, 2020, 5:56:22 PM3/7/20
On Sat, 07 Mar 2020 21:54:29 +0000, ImperiusDamian wrote:

> Tremble, for on Sat, 07 Mar 2020 13:39:01 +0000 on this sandbank of
> Apophis steveski wrote :
>
>> On Fri, 06 Mar 2020 00:28:33 +0000, ImperiusDamian wrote:
>>
>> []
>>
>>> Oh my Kosh, I deleted Facebook a couple of years ago and never looked
>>> back. Toxic fucking place.
>>
>> Did you have to wash your mind?
>
> Only because there was a Vorlon remnant in there.

:-)

Steveski

Daniel60

Mar 8, 2020, 4:58:52 AM3/8/20
Opps!!s/attack/attach!!

--
Daniel

ImperiusDamian

Mar 8, 2020, 11:19:17 PM3/8/20
Tremble, for on Sun, 08 Mar 2020 19:58:48 +1100 on this sandbank of
Apophis Daniel60 wrote :

> Daniel60 wrote on 7/03/2020 3:18 PM:
>> ImperiusDamian wrote on 7/03/2020 11:09 AM:
>>> Tremble, for on Fri, 06 Mar 2020 17:17:35 +1100 on this sandbank of

>>> I did it for the memes.
>>>
>> I never really 'got' memes!!
>>
>> Attack some picture or other to some smart arse comment!!
>>
>> Wacko!!
>>
> Opps!!s/attack/attach!!

Memes can also be in-jokes and running gags specific to a community. A lot
of our old running jokes would be considered memes in the modern Internet.

--
"The assimilation of this species would detract from our perfection." -
The Borg

Daniel60

Mar 9, 2020, 1:15:45 AM3/9/20
ImperiusDamian wrote on 9/03/2020 2:19 PM:
> Tremble, for on Sun, 08 Mar 2020 19:58:48 +1100 on this sandbank of
> Apophis Daniel60 wrote :
>
>> Daniel60 wrote on 7/03/2020 3:18 PM:

>>> I never really 'got' memes!!
>>>
>>> Attack some picture or other to some smart arse comment!!
>>>
>>> Wacko!!
>>>
>> Opps!!s/attack/attach!!
>
> Memes can also be in-jokes and running gags specific to a community. A lot
> of our old running jokes would be considered memes in the modern Internet.

O.K., I'll believe you .... but, as I don't expose myself to them
enough, I guess I'll seldom "get them"!! ;-)

--
Daniel

Vince M Hudd

Mar 20, 2020, 7:34:22 AM3/20/20
On 06/03/2020 00:28, ImperiusDamian wrote:

> I deleted Facebook a couple of years ago and never looked
> back. Toxic fucking place.

No you didn't. It's still there.

--
Vince M Hudd - Soft Rock Software - www.softrock.co.uk
RISCOSitory - www.riscository.com

Vince M Hudd

Mar 20, 2020, 7:37:21 AM3/20/20
On 03/03/2020 22:35, steveski wrote:

>> I just switched to a dedicated newsfroup reader, Pan. Simpler and better
>> than Thunderb0rk.

> This is the programme that I have been banging on about for years - see
> my and Vince's posts earlier.

Daft program, because of this:

> I think it's Really Good (TM) with the one fault that when there aren't
> any posts (i.e. beyond the expiration limit) it's a, very small
> admittedly, PITA.

You almost certainly need to use email anyway so, unless you're one of
the crazy webmail people, so just use an email client that also handles
usenet (correctly).

And if you are one of those crazy webmail people, switch to using an
email client - and make it one that also handles usenet (correctly).

ImperiusDamian

Mar 30, 2020, 2:25:34 PM3/30/20
Tremble, for on Fri, 20 Mar 2020 11:34:16 +0000 on this sandbank of
Apophis Vince M Hudd wrote :

> On 06/03/2020 00:28, ImperiusDamian wrote:
>
>> I deleted Facebook a couple of years ago and never looked back. Toxic
>> fucking place.
>
> No you didn't. It's still there.

In fact I did. I didn't just deactivate; I looked up the link for
permanent deletion. It's gone.

--
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be
the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour

FP

Apr 4, 2020, 6:12:53 PM4/4/20
On 20/03/2020 11:37, Vince M Hudd wrote:
> On 03/03/2020 22:35, steveski wrote:
>
>>> I just switched to a dedicated newsfroup reader, Pan. Simpler and better
>>> than Thunderb0rk.
>
>> This is the programme that I have been banging on about for years - see
>> my and Vince's posts earlier.
>
> Daft program, because of this:
>
>> I think it's Really Good (TM) with the one fault that when there aren't
>> any posts (i.e. beyond the expiration limit) it's a, very small
>> admittedly, PITA.
>
> You almost certainly need to use email anyway so, unless you're one of
> the crazy webmail people, so just use an email client that also handles
> usenet (correctly).
>
> And if you are one of those crazy webmail people, switch to using an
> email client - and make it one that also handles usenet (correctly).

Unfortunately, Thunderbird didn't show any activity here, in the couple
of months since I last had a look in. The number of unread messages
stayed at 2. It'll be some setting that I mis-set. Nice to see that
there are still people hanging around.

Frank

FP

Apr 4, 2020, 6:16:41 PM4/4/20
Anyway, hope you're all keeping healthy, washing your hands, not getting
infected, also not getting killed in the bog-roll wars (or dying of
dirty bums).

Frank

Vince M Hudd

Apr 4, 2020, 6:47:54 PM4/4/20
On 30/03/2020 19:25, ImperiusDamian wrote:

>>> I deleted Facebook a couple of years ago and never looked back. Toxic
>>> fucking place.

>> No you didn't. It's still there.

> In fact I did. I didn't just deactivate; I looked up the link for
> permanent deletion. It's gone.

No, you didn't. It - Facebook - is still there. You did not delete Facebook.

You may have deleted your account, but that's not what you said! :p

And, in fact (being serious now) you didn't fully delete your account. I
know this because I did the same a very long time ago - and later
discovered that it's bollocks.

Several years after supposedly "permanently" deleting the account I
decided to see what would happen if I created a new account again. So I
started the process with the same name, and the same old email address.
It offered to restore the old account. It hadn't truly deleted the old
account, not fully. I don't know how much of the old account was still
there, because I declined; that account is "gone" as well - but
certainly there was enough for them to make that offer.

I also created a new account separately, same name but different email
address, and which until recently I only ever looked at very rarely.
Although at first it was showing me randoms as friend suggestions (and
the only people I *had* added weren't people I had on my friends list
previously) it soon started showing me people who had been on my list on
the old account.

This makes sense *now* because I have added some of the people I had as
friends previously - but when it first started doing it, the only
conclusion could be that it had made the connection with my old,
supposedly deleted account.

(Note: As I said, until recently not used much - but my use has
increased quite a bit this year; while I use Twitter, most of my family
use Facebook, and at the moment that makes it the best way to keep in
general contact.)

And all of that's before we talk about the so-called 'shadow' profiles,
where they build up a picture of your habits even if you don't have an
account and therefore they don't actually know who you are. This is done
most obviously through cookies - so you do have some control (in my
case, for example, I tend to have my main browsers wipe all cookies on
exit), and it goes way beyond that: I'm about as careful (read:
paranoid) as it's possible to be; not just the cookie deletion, but
unique email addresses for different things, only giving out certain
info if I absolutely have to, and even then (if I can get away with it)
making that unique (e.g. I have multiple dates of birth), and so on.

And yet Facebook managed to shock me with their creepy tendrils (and it
still irks me to this day, as much because I haven't sussed out how it
happened as anything else).

What happened was that I looked at the advertising preferences via the
website, and there's a section that shows you things like companies,
applications, etc, you've used. Because of the way I segregate things,
that list should have been empty.

Except that an application that I'd installed on my phone (Plex) was
listed there.

I hadn't ever logged into Facebook on my phone at that point - not only
not via the website, but I also hadn't installed any of their apps - yet
somehow they knew I'd installed Plex.

So, if you think you've escaped Facebook's creepy stalking, think again.
If they can get around my attempts at privacy, they can probably get
around yours as well.

Vince M Hudd

Apr 4, 2020, 6:51:17 PM4/4/20
On 04/04/2020 23:16, FP wrote:

> Anyway, hope you're all keeping healthy, washing your hands, not getting
> infected, also not getting killed in the bog-roll wars (or dying of
> dirty bums).

It was the dawn of the turd age of mankind. A few weeks after the
supermarket bog-roll wars...

steveski

Apr 4, 2020, 7:32:18 PM4/4/20
I am the Watchman :-) (Not Zathras nor Captain Carrot).

--
Steveski

steveski

Apr 4, 2020, 7:32:26 PM4/4/20
[not snipped]

The persistence of shit.

--
Steveski

Daniel60

Apr 4, 2020, 8:53:35 PM4/4/20
Vince M Hudd wrote on 5/04/2020 8:47 AM:

<Snip>

> So, if you think you've escaped Facebook's creepy stalking, think again.
> If they can get around my attempts at privacy, they can probably get
> around yours as well.

(In a similar vain ...)

About ten years ago, it was suggested that I should join LinkedIn (or
whatever its called), so I did join and set up a Profile (I was an
Air-plane Pilot, as I recall!) but, possibly due to me not knowing what
to do, almost nothing happened.

Eventually, twelve months later, maybe, I closed/deleted my account!

Still, to this day, I receive e-mails from LinkedIn telling me there
have been a number of people contacting me.

Pretty hard, I would have thought, *IF* my account had been closed/deleted!!

--
Daniel

FP

Apr 5, 2020, 8:48:44 AM4/5/20
Also Google. They're fairly creepy. Don't know if using DuckDuckGo is
any protection, when my phone uses An Droid as the OS.

FP

Apr 5, 2020, 8:56:04 AM4/5/20
You are the Watchman. I am the watchmen. You are the Eggrus. Eggrus
warned Eggrus, is always saying, goo goo g'joob, but Eggrus never
listened to Eggrus.

steveski

Apr 5, 2020, 10:13:45 AM4/5/20
On Sun, 05 Apr 2020 13:56:03 +0100, FP wrote:

> On 05/04/2020 00:32, steveski wrote:
>> On Sat, 04 Apr 2020 23:12:51 +0100, FP wrote:

[]

>>> Unfortunately, Thunderbird didn't show any activity here, in the
>>> couple of months since I last had a look in. The number of unread
>>> messages stayed at 2. It'll be some setting that I mis-set. Nice to
>>> see that there are still people hanging around.
>>
>> I am the Watchman :-) (Not Zathras nor Captain Carrot).
>
> You are the Watchman. I am the watchmen. You are the Eggrus. Eggrus
> warned Eggrus, is always saying, goo goo g'joob, but Eggrus never
> listened to Eggrus.

:-)

--
Steveski

callu...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2020, 4:05:54 AM6/6/20
On Monday, November 18, 2019 at 4:34:30 PM UTC-8, bucklan...@gmail.com wrote:
> Huh. I see people were here

*warbles* You have always been here *warbles*

FP

Aug 9, 2020, 3:35:02 PM8/9/20
I'm bored. I am not enjoying this pandemic.

David LaRue

Aug 9, 2020, 9:42:29 PM8/9/20
FP <f32pn...@eircom.net> wrote in
This is the only pandemic we have. You might as well enjoy it.

Kim Wall

Aug 10, 2020, 8:10:05 AM8/10/20
Point of order: We're also having an HIV pandemic. Not that that one's
really an improvement.

Kim.

Vince M Hudd

Aug 28, 2020, 2:44:12 PM8/28/20
On 09/08/2020 20:35, FP wrote:

> I'm bored. I am not enjoying this pandemic.

The pandumbic is quite fun, though.

steveski

Aug 28, 2020, 6:34:05 PM8/28/20
On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 19:44:07 +0100, Vince M Hudd wrote:

> On 09/08/2020 20:35, FP wrote:
>
>> I'm bored. I am not enjoying this pandemic.
>
> The pandumbic is quite fun, though.

Arf, arf :-)

--
Steveski

ImperiusDamian

Sep 7, 2020, 9:12:39 PM9/7/20
Tremble, for on Mon, 10 Aug 2020 13:01:23 +0100 on this sandbank of
Apophis Kim Wall wrote :
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

--
On a packet of Sainsbury's salted peanuts: 'CONTAINS NUTS'.

steve.m....@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2021, 11:02:36 AM3/24/21
On Tuesday, 19 November 2019 at 00:34:30 UTC, bucklan...@gmail.com wrote:
> Huh. I see people were here

Somewhat delayed, but... they aren't people. They are figments. Of what I'm not sure.

Stephen

FP

Sep 18, 2021, 2:41:39 PM9/18/21
I am not a figment, I am a disgruntlement. Especially to people to whom
I accidentally send email when trying to post a response on the froup.
Sorry. Been so long since I used this...

Frank