WHY SEARS DIEHARD BATTERIES FAIL PREMATURELY

Robert Rouge

Aug 14, 2013, 5:10:11 AM8/14/13
WHY SEARS DIEHARD BATTERIES FAIL PREMATURELY

My DieHard Silver lasted just 38 months.
The pro-rated warranty stated was for 72 months, with 18 month free replacement.

Since the sticker on the top read "Maintenance Free", I never checked the electrolyte levels.
When I finally did check the levels, 2 of the cells were very low. Using a kitchen baster, both cells took about 10 Oz. of distilled water to bring them to the bottom of the ring.
All of the other cells were extremely low also.
There are no cracks in the case.
Then, after placing the battery on a 10 Amp automatic charger for 10 hours, the battery still failed to start the engine.

When I went to Sears Auto Center at Northridge , CA to have the battery replaced, I decided to pop off the caps of the new battery, to inspect the electrolyte levels.
The first battery was so low that 1 of the cells had no acid above the plates.
On the second and third batteries, I found them equally deficient.

When I alerted the manager of my findings (Employee #750646) and asked him to please look at the battery, he defensively replied, "You just bought that battery because you broke the factory seals".
He said, his Sears training instructed him that "All Sears batteries are maintenance free and no longer uses battery acid".
When I asked him why the new batteries no longer said "Maintenance Free" on the top label, he became even more rude and incensed.
So, to get even with me, he pro-rated the battery not on the original purchase price of $79.00 (as prescribed in the warranty details), but on the new price of $109.99.
The adjusted pro-rated price for the battery came to $87.24 total.

Since I was desperate to get my car running again, I reluctantly purchased the battery.
Then, I went to my local NAPA auto store and spent an additional $13.00 for 32 Oz. container of battery acid aka sulfuric acid.
It took almost 10 Oz. to bring the levels to the bottom of the fill ring.

I have been a loyal customer for over 40 years.
That experience will cause me to be my last purchase with Sears auto products.

bb_gi...@yahoo.com

Apr 24, 2014, 11:09:04 PM4/24/14
I purchased my battery 7/30/2013 it failed 12/13/2013, I'm still trying to get a replacement from Sears in 4/24/2014 .. go figure .. my warranty is 18mo. full replacement, I think they are trying to let the warranty run it's course. I also have been a loyal customer of both Sears and Diehard, but never again.... Your info was helpful to know that I am not alone... Thanks

OP is a Dick

May 1, 2014, 2:13:36 PM5/1/14
On Wednesday, August 14, 2013 4:10:11 AM UTC-5, Robert Rouge wrote:
> WHY SEARS DIEHARD BATTERIES FAIL PREMATURELY
>

> My DieHard Silver lasted just 38 months.
>
> The pro-rated warranty stated was for 72 months, with 18 month free replacement.
>

> Since the sticker on the top read "Maintenance Free", I never checked the electrolyte levels.
>
> When I finally did check the levels, 2 of the cells were very low. Using a kitchen baster, both cells took about 10 Oz. of distilled water to bring them to the bottom of the ring.
>
> All of the other cells were extremely low also.
>
> There are no cracks in the case.
>
> Then, after placing the battery on a 10 Amp automatic charger for 10 hours, the battery still failed to start the engine.
>

> When I went to Sears Auto Center at Northridge , CA to have the battery replaced, I decided to pop off the caps of the new battery, to inspect the electrolyte levels.
>
> The first battery was so low that 1 of the cells had no acid above the plates.
>
> On the second and third batteries, I found them equally deficient.
>

> When I alerted the manager of my findings (Employee #750646) and asked him to please look at the battery, he defensively replied, "You just bought that battery because you broke the factory seals".
>
> He said, his Sears training instructed him that "All Sears batteries are maintenance free and no longer uses battery acid".
>
> When I asked him why the new batteries no longer said "Maintenance Free" on the top label, he became even more rude and incensed.
>
> So, to get even with me, he pro-rated the battery not on the original purchase price of $79.00 (as prescribed in the warranty details), but on the new price of $109.99.
>
> The adjusted pro-rated price for the battery came to $87.24 total.
>

> Since I was desperate to get my car running again, I reluctantly purchased the battery.
>
> Then, I went to my local NAPA auto store and spent an additional $13.00 for 32 Oz. container of battery acid aka sulfuric acid.
>
> It took almost 10 Oz. to bring the levels to the bottom of the fill ring.
>

> I have been a loyal customer for over 40 years.
>
> That experience will cause me to be my last purchase with Sears auto products.

One faulty battery in 40 years is not a bad fail rate.

You need to look at this from the employee's point of view. Personalities aside, it sounds to me like the manager honored the original warranty. He gave you a new battery and credited you on the new price instead of the original price, which saved you some money. He also let you "return" 2 more batteries that did not fail and which you broke the seals on and can't be restocked.

hond...@gmail.com

Sep 13, 2014, 6:46:44 PM9/13/14
I think these things happen because Sears employees know little about what they are selling and because they are ignorant any complaint is taken personally. I remember when Sears was real great. Nolonger.
Message has been deleted

Robert Rouge

Jan 10, 2018, 5:29:48 AM1/10/18
To OP is a Dick - Perfect name for you

On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 2:25:33 AM UTC-8, Robert Rouge wrote:
> Based on your replies, you did not or could not read what I told in detail.
>
> Just because I was a Sears battery purchaser for 40 years, I never said that this failure was the only one, so read again.
>
> Also, I never said I returned 2 other batteries...you said that.
> Not good reading comprehension you have.

Robert Rouge

Jan 10, 2018, 5:40:13 AM1/10/18
On Thursday, May 1, 2014 at 11:13:36 AM UTC-7, OP is a Dick wrote:
On Thursday, May 1, 2014 at 11:13:36 AM UTC-7, OP is a Dick wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 14, 2013 4:10:11 AM UTC-5, Robert Rouge wrote:
> > WHY SEARS DIEHARD BATTERIES FAIL PREMATURELY
> >

> > My DieHard Silver lasted just 38 months.
> >
> > The pro-rated warranty stated was for 72 months, with 18 month free replacement.
> >

> > Since the sticker on the top read "Maintenance Free", I never checked the electrolyte levels.
> >
> > When I finally did check the levels, 2 of the cells were very low. Using a kitchen baster, both cells took about 10 Oz. of distilled water to bring them to the bottom of the ring.
> >
> > All of the other cells were extremely low also.
> >
> > There are no cracks in the case.
> >
> > Then, after placing the battery on a 10 Amp automatic charger for 10 hours, the battery still failed to start the engine.
> >

> > When I went to Sears Auto Center at Northridge , CA to have the battery replaced, I decided to pop off the caps of the new battery, to inspect the electrolyte levels.
> >
> > The first battery was so low that 1 of the cells had no acid above the plates.
> >
> > On the second and third batteries, I found them equally deficient.
> >

> > When I alerted the manager of my findings (Employee #750646) and asked him to please look at the battery, he defensively replied, "You just bought that battery because you broke the factory seals".
> >
> > He said, his Sears training instructed him that "All Sears batteries are maintenance free and no longer uses battery acid".
> >
> > When I asked him why the new batteries no longer said "Maintenance Free" on the top label, he became even more rude and incensed.
> >
> > So, to get even with me, he pro-rated the battery not on the original purchase price of $79.00 (as prescribed in the warranty details), but on the new price of $109.99.
> >
> > The adjusted pro-rated price for the battery came to $87.24 total.
> >

> > Since I was desperate to get my car running again, I reluctantly purchased the battery.
> >
> > Then, I went to my local NAPA auto store and spent an additional $13.00 for 32 Oz. container of battery acid aka sulfuric acid.
> >
> > It took almost 10 Oz. to bring the levels to the bottom of the fill ring.
> >

> > I have been a loyal customer for over 40 years.
> >
> > That experience will cause me to be my last purchase with Sears auto products.

OP is a Dick

Robert Rouge

Jul 26, 2019, 3:00:37 AM7/26/19
Now it is 7-25-19, and the battery is still good, thanks to adding new electrolyte to the low cells.

Robert Rouge

Jul 26, 2019, 3:04:02 AM7/26/19