acetone for better gas mileage?

badgolferman

Sep 9, 2005, 10:22:53 PM9/9/05
http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/faq.htm

This guy says acetone mixed with fuel in cars increases mileage 15% to
35%. He mentions the Prius getting 63 MPH after using this as one of
his examples.

Has anyone else heard of using acetone and what are the ramifications?

--
"If I can hit a curveball, why can't I hit a ball that is standing
still on a course?" -- Larry Nelson

Jack G

Sep 9, 2005, 10:45:14 PM9/9/05
I'll bet that if you hold you hand by the tailpipe it will peal the
fingernail polish right off...

Jack G.

"badgolferman" <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Hachiroku

Sep 9, 2005, 10:56:27 PM9/9/05
On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 02:22:53 +0000, badgolferman wrote:

> http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/faq.htm
>
> This guy says acetone mixed with fuel in cars increases mileage 15% to
> 35%. He mentions the Prius getting 63 MPH after using this as one of
> his examples.
>
> Has anyone else heard of using acetone and what are the ramifications?

I dunno, but knowing what I know about Acetone, I'd hate to see what the
inside of his engine is going to look like after a few thens-of-thousands
of miles.

Ever get some n your hands? It leaves kind of a gummy residue.

The other thing I'm thinking is that it might burn hot...a LOT hotter and
there would be danger of burning valves or melting rings. The burning
hotter would explain the better gas mileage, since you'll be burning your
fuels more efficiently. Just a guess.

I'll wait till Gasahol makes a comeback, thanks...

Josh

Sep 9, 2005, 11:46:59 PM9/9/05
badgolferman wrote:
> http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/faq.htm
>
> This guy says acetone mixed with fuel in cars increases mileage 15% to
> 35%. He mentions the Prius getting 63 MPH after using this as one of
> his examples.
>
> Has anyone else heard of using acetone and what are the ramifications?

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Acetone_as_a_Fuel_Additive

mrcheerful .

Sep 10, 2005, 3:11:07 AM9/10/05

"badgolferman" <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/faq.htm
>
> This guy says acetone mixed with fuel in cars increases mileage 15% to
> 35%. He mentions the Prius getting 63 MPH after using this as one of
> his examples.
>
> Has anyone else heard of using acetone and what are the ramifications?

new prius has over 60 as overall mpg anyway, why risk wrecking the engine?

mrcheerful

FanJet

Sep 10, 2005, 11:16:06 AM9/10/05

Except that it doesn't and the published figures:

http://toyota.com/prius/specs.html

are exaggerated.

Mike Hunter

Sep 10, 2005, 4:25:19 PM9/10/05
One would think Chlorine, or even, Clorox would work better as an oxidizer.
Particularly when one considers acetone costs more per gallon

mike

HarryS

Sep 11, 2005, 1:04:48 PM9/11/05
If it were only so easy. With gas prices where they are now, I think 3%
acetone would be cost effective. I wonder that it doesn't cause knocking.

Pure acetone should leave no residues when it evaporates. When you put it
on your skin, it dissolves the natural oils in your skin. The acetone
evaporates leaving all of the oils on the surface.

"Hachiroku" <Tru...@ae86.gts> wrote in message

Coyoteboy

Sep 12, 2005, 6:05:03 AM9/12/05

Hachiroku wrote:
> I dunno, but knowing what I know about Acetone, I'd hate to see what the
> inside of his engine is going to look like after a few thens-of-thousands
> of miles.

Acetone leaves a gummy residue? I dont think so?! I've been using it
for cleaning metal parts prior to painting and leaves absolutely no
residue whatsoever. Acetone is a super-volatile solvent that
evapourates away like lightning, and after a mini-accidental fire with
some of the stuff in a metal tray i can also confirm it doesnt burn to
leave gummy stuff. I CAN say I'd never run it through my engine though,
at least not on one i needed or wanted to keep working, just in case!

Hachiroku

Sep 12, 2005, 9:07:44 PM9/12/05

Thanks. The only 'run ins' I have had with Acetone has been as a component
of something else, so I usually get some kind of residue (or, perhaps the
acetone is interacting with what ever I'm using it on and MELTING it?)

Coyoteboy

Sep 13, 2005, 5:53:14 AM9/13/05

Hachiroku wrote:
> Thanks. The only 'run ins' I have had with Acetone has been as a component
> of something else, so I usually get some kind of residue (or, perhaps the
> acetone is interacting with what ever I'm using it on and MELTING it?)

Ahhh yes, it does have the great ability to turn most things to a gummy
mess lol, but it itself doesnt. Your points a goodun in that it'd
probably turn most seals and hoses into a mess in a car.

Coyoteboy

Sep 13, 2005, 5:56:28 AM9/13/05

mrcheerful
. wrote:

> new prius has over 60 as overall mpg anyway, why risk wrecking the engine?
>
> mrcheerful

Similar reasoning behind the fact that my car makes 200hp as standard,
but i risk wrecking the engine to get 275. Its always fun to push
things to the limit. But in this case i wouldnt do it, each to their
own.

Hachiroku

Sep 13, 2005, 7:42:26 PM9/13/05

I looked at a web site; I think it was posted in a.b.images.fun. Says they
did it with a '92 Caravan and got good gas mileage. i have a '92 Grand
Voyager; I'm tempted to try it, but I am afraid for those seals, etc. The
engine is not in good shape, but they are a dime-a-dozen and easy to
replace. The fuel system, OTOH...

Don Fearn

Sep 13, 2005, 7:58:12 PM9/13/05
I coulda sworn Hachiroku <Tru...@ae86.gts> typ'd:

I doubt it would be a problem, especially at the low concentrations
called for in the sites I've seen. There is, after all, a high amount
of acetone in many carb and injection cleaners on the market, and
those don't cause problems that I've heard of.

But why don't you try it and report back -- *I* don't want to be the
first person I know to try it!

-Don
--
"Ladies and gentlemen take my advice.
Pull down your pants and slide on the ice."

-- Sidney Freedman

Hachiroku

Sep 13, 2005, 8:37:31 PM9/13/05

LOL! *I* said the SAME THING in the other group!

Coyoteboy

Sep 14, 2005, 6:17:58 AM9/14/05
lol, im with Don, i think YOU should try it, my engines an arse to get
out and pretty rare lol.

Hachiroku

Sep 14, 2005, 8:41:33 PM9/14/05

What is the car/engine?

And, uh, I think I'll pass. I have to either put on a new head or a new
engine. If I get an engine cheap enough, maybe I'll try it before I swap
out...

Coyoteboy

Sep 15, 2005, 6:01:50 AM9/15/05

Hachiroku wrote:

> What is the car/engine?
>
> And, uh, I think I'll pass. I have to either put on a new head or a new
> engine. If I get an engine cheap enough, maybe I'll try it before I swap
> out...

'91 Celica GT-Four (Alltrac to you guys), finding a decent quality used
(but not abused) engine is nigh impossible. Jap imported ones have
unreliable milage claims and most by now are coming to the end of their
working life, so its a rebuild if anything major goes lol.

Let us know how you get on with it if you do!